R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It seems like (MTA) is keeping the R211's behind the fence near Costco for the time being, theres no notice posted about SBK being active yet. They are most likely waiting for the other 3 cars to arrive to move them all at once.

The cars are being stored across 2nd Avenue from Costco. This is a picture I took from outside the fence.

rWk2bLO.jpeg

32 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Those tiny windows look even worse from the inside.

Wait till they shatter all the screens too.

The yellow poles are hideous and a failed design feature with no safety purpose on surface and transit vehicles, but so be it.

I at least like the dark seats a lot.

Tried my best to keep up with them on the way to coney island yard.

Here's the R211 making its first movements on NYCT property:

Got ahead of them at Fort Hamilton Parkway on the (D)

Rushed ahead under the el towards bay 50 st and made it just in time

While they were snaking their way though the yard, I rushed around the facility down Mcdonald Avenue to the small service road running along side coney island yard and got the 211 there

Edited by Mr Railfan
Spelling

I must say, well done! You certainly kept up with them! The videos are great and how you managed to keep up with the train in order to do all those videos is nothing short of amazing. And it’s great to finally see them on MTA property. I particularly enjoyed seeing the rider car, a former R33 that I probably grew up rode on the (2)(4) or (5) trains many moons ago, in the same train with our newest subway cars.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Well, not we’ll

Beautiful railcar but I'm not an fan of the reduced seating AT ALL. They are an downgrade from the R46 in that regard. Should have cut and paste the door size from the R160s.

With that being said, I wonder if they went to the overhaul shop or the inspection barn at CI. Can't wait until we see videos of these cars running under their own power!

19 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Beautiful railcar but I'm not an fan of the reduced seating AT ALL. They are an downgrade from the R46 in that regard. Should have cut and paste the door size from the R160s.

With that being said, I wonder if they went to the overhaul shop or the inspection barn at CI. Can't wait until we see videos of these cars running under their own power!

Agreed. With the R110A, they did super-wide  (and slow moving) side doors with narrow side windows like these. But then when they ordered the R142 series cars, the doors were much narrower, although still wider than the Redbird and R62 series doors. Would have liked for them to have done transverse seating (which the R110A had and was also not carried over to the R142s), but the MTA are focused on putting more people in each subway car, and are convinced that the only way to do that is have more people standing. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

The yellow poles are hideous and a failed design feature with no safety purpose on surface and transit vehicles, but so be it.

I at least like the dark seats a lot.

I suppose good old fashioned paper ads on the door pockets just doesn’t cut it anymore. Though interestingly enough, the info screens on the inside of the R143s still work, even though they look like they’ve never been updated since 2002.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Also, watch them get an angry call first thing tomorrow morning from the governor's office about the missed photo opportunity for Andy Boy.

Eh, maybe he just didn’t want to go out in the rain. Or he’s waiting for the next five cars to come. Or he was busy dedicating some new exit signs on the Taconic, Hutchinson or Saw Mill River Parkways in Westchester. 

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Photos from the MTA's flickr page:

51284120994_ef6f4437f1_c.jpg

51282649577_e83f411778_c.jpg

51284420025_3360183824_c.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like the blue side doors are wider than the others? Even when I watched the videos, it looked like the blue doors were wider. I’d be surprised if they are, because I’m not sure what purpose there would be in having the two sets of side doors nearest the cab being wider than the others. Also, in the top photo, it looks like the side doors are staggered. But maybe that’s just due to the angle the picture was taken from. 

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Agreed. With the R110A, they did super-wide  (and slow moving) side doors with narrow side windows like these. But then when they ordered the R142 series cars, the doors were much narrower, although still wider than the Redbird and R62 series doors. Would have liked for them to have done transverse seating (which the R110A had and was also not carried over to the R142s), but the MTA are focused on putting more people in each subway car, and are convinced that the only way to do that is have more people standing. 

I suppose good old fashioned paper ads on the door pockets just doesn’t cut it anymore. Though interestingly enough, the info screens on the inside of the R143s still work, even though they look like they’ve never been updated since 2002.

Eh, maybe he just didn’t want to go out in the rain. Or he’s waiting for the next five cars to come. Or he was busy dedicating some new exit signs on the Taconic, Hutchinson or Saw Mill River Parkways in Westchester. 

Is it just me or does it look like the blue side doors are wider than the others? Even when I watched the videos, it looked like the blue doors were wider. I’d be surprised if they are, because I’m not sure what purpose there would be in having the two sets of side doors nearest the cab being wider than the others. Also, in the top photo, it looks like the side doors are staggered. But maybe that’s just due to the angle the picture was taken from. 

The doors are slightly staggered, not like the R142s though. Not sure about the door size next to the cab. 

Looking at the public comments on social media / news, everyone was questioning where is the open gangway, lol. 

On 6/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, BMTKateMeltonLine said:

Do yu know what time?

showimage.jpg

*Not my photos* Original fb post and photographer here. Seems like railfans were out in full force yesterday. Anyone knows when the next set will be delivered? It's been years since I went out and photographed trains. Bought a mirrorless cam a few months back and it's pretty much collecting dust..

200758758-771946523496186-70324800201201

Original fb post and photographer here.

And what's up with the small ass windows??

Edited by brakethrow

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Those screens, the idiotic yellow poles, and certainly the undersized windows are are all reasons people should be pushing back against the agency's shitty design choices.  You say so be it, but I don't know, I think they could have done a lot better.

Of course, as the guy who thinks NYCT hasn't designed a sensible-looking subway car since the R42, I might not be the voice of reason myself..

Edited by R10 2952

6 hours ago, brakethrow said:

showimage.jpg

*Not my photos* Original fb post and photographer here. Seems like railfans were out in full force yesterday. Anyone knows when the next set will be delivered? It's been years since I went out and photographed trains. Bought a mirrorless cam a few months back and it's pretty much collecting dust..

200758758-771946523496186-70324800201201

Original fb post and photographer here.

And what's up with the small ass windows??

Apparently it’s because of the “Wider Doors” to add more space in the train

11 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Looking at the public comments on social media / news, everyone was questioning where is the open gangway, lol.

The open gangways " while cool " will never happen, especially at the level crime is in the subway, it would be a disaster waiting to happen. If a serious violent crime were to occur, could you imagine the stampeding going on besides the perpetrator having access to every car while in motion, with no obstructions to isolate the incident?  Also from more of an everyday standpoint, would you rather have one bum stinking up a train car ? Or all 8-10 at once ? Trust me some of them smell so bad that one could probably stink out a whole open gangway train, now add to the homeless crisis during winter months anywhere from 1-20 homeless during the morning rush on a train spread out through the train.

Edited by Stephen

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The open gangways " while cool " will never happen, especially at the level crime is in the subway, it would be a disaster waiting to happen. If a serious violent crime were to occur, could you imagine the stampeding going on besides the perpetrator having access to every car while in motion, with no obstructions to isolate the incident?  Also from more of an everyday standpoint, would you rather have one bum stinking up a train car ? Or all 8-10 at once ? Trust me some of them smell so bad that one could probably stink out a whole open gangway train, now add to the homeless crisis during winter months anywhere from 1-20 homeless during the morning rush on a train spread out through the train.

Enforce homelessness by providing legit shelters, securing tunnels, and kicking all homeless out the subways 24/7. Enforce crime by adding more moving officers on trains and stations. 

Its possible, but with how stupid these citizens of NY are with voting in these corrupt politicians and supporting to defund the police, you will be stuck in the 19th century until the city cripples all in one. 

It only seems impossible because of all the NEGLECT you see take place in this city. Anything is possible in this city, especially if it's done in other parts of the world. 

Ok, Politics and crime aside, let’s take the numbers.

4060-4499 are in for the Traditional R211s. Where do you see splitsville come in to separate Yard where older cars are in service. Example: 

4060-4259 goes to yard number one and 4260-4499 goes to yard number two

how would you make it work? And who gets the most cars?