R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

14 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm hoping it is that one. It could also be any of these:

It's too bad GTO's have gone out of style... The sound the 1996 stock on the Jubliee line make would be awesome.

I didn't know the Sydney Metro trains are the same propulsion. That would be too good to be true. The others you posted sound horrible. The 1996 Jubilee Line trains will forever be one of my favorites. Then you also have the Montreal MPM-10 and Paris MP14 with the Alstom Optonix IGBT-VVVF propulsions. Not sure why they all sound different if they have the same base name. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, R32 3838 said:

the (L) will not lose any r160's. The point of the R211 8 car units is to expand and add service to the (L) , r160A-1's 8313-8376 is for the (L) only with them seeing some service on the (J)(Z) like the R143's.

Are there going to be 8 car 211's? I figured they might want to try the open gangway on the (L), but did not hear any definite plan. (Though I'm sure they might remove a car from the test units, to test them over there like they did with the 160A's). This is assuming the 211T is approved after the initial tests.

Seeing this nice flush ended car (and with the fancy color changing digital signs) evokes the innovation of the R44 and 46, which were banned from the Eastern div. because of the car length. But if they only order five car units, and don't get any 211T's for the (L), then this could be the 44/46 all over again, with the East forever shut out (unless they ran a five car shuttle somewhere, but they probably won't bother with that). They could get 4 car 211A's to expand service, but wouldn't it be more likely for them to put five car 211 sets on the (C) (as part of making it full length), and just sending the 179's to ENY for the expansion? That looks like the more likely scenario.

58 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Are there going to be 8 car 211's? I figured they might want to try the open gangway on the (L), but did not hear any definite plan. (Though I'm sure they might remove a car from the test units, to test them over there like they did with the 160A's). This is assuming the 211T is approved after the initial tests.

Seeing this nice flush ended car (and with the fancy color changing digital signs) evokes the innovation of the R44 and 46, which were banned from the Eastern div. because of the car length. But if they only order five car units, and don't get any 211T's for the (L), then this could be the 44/46 all over again, with the East forever shut out (unless they ran a five car shuttle somewhere, but they probably won't bother with that). They could get 4 car 211A's to expand service, but wouldn't it be more likely for them to put five car 211 sets on the (C) (as part of making it full length), and just sending the 179's to ENY for the expansion? That looks like the more likely scenario.

Someone didn't notice the options...

45 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Just passed by the Costco area on the express bus and noticed what looked like a covered subway car. Is that another R211? 

35 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

Probably a M8 or a 9

The next R211 set is coming in as we speak.

Edited by danielhg121

15 hours ago, Eric B said:

The base order doesn't include 8 car trains. Only one of the option orders include 4 eight car trains (32 cars) and it's unclear if they will be open gangway.

3 hours ago, sovetskii52 said:

I just had a short chat with an operator at Inwood - 207th and she said the R211's are expected to run the (A) and (C) when they start service. Probably because 8th Avenue is next in line to receive CBTC upgrade.

That s another confirmation.

Most local media is also confirming the information

I still think that the base order of open gangway trains will go to the E.

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R211 must be in the CI overhaul shop as I rode by CI barn just now and didn't see the 211s in there, only the 46s and 68s.

It's inside the inspection barn, They are just waiting for the other 5 cars which all should be delivered by now as the last 2 cars were in NJ earlier waiting to move by nighttime

On 7/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, Lawrence St said:

That seems odd. Whats that suppose to be for?

13 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Most likely for the L. Keep in mind that the G is slated to get 8 car trains either directly from the C or from ENY.

It's for the (L)  but can also run on the (J)(Z) since they share the 64 CBTC equipped R160A-1's and the R143's. If it's open gangaway then they will be strictly for the (L)

I really wished they ordered more B cars for the r179's to convert them into 10 car trains. This would have allowed the (MTA) to order a sizable amount of 8 car R211's for the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) lines and the r179's could have been strictly at Pitkin and 207th st.

Edited by R32 3838

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's inside the inspection barn, They are just waiting for the other 5 cars which all should be delivered by now as the last 2 cars were in NJ earlier waiting to move by nighttime

It's for the (L)  but can also run on the (J)(Z) since they share the 64 CBTC equipped R160A-1's and the R143's. If it's open gangaway then they will be strictly for the (L)

I really wished they ordered more B cars for the r179's to convert them into 10 car trains. This would have allowed the (MTA) to order a sizable amount of 8 car R211's for the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) lines and the r179's could have been strictly at Pitkin and 207th st.

Regardless of where the R179s end up, there should be additional R211s aside from the 32 cars to maybe displace the R160s that are used on the (L) or displace all R179s from the (J)(Z) (meaning less 5-car sets than anticipated). ENY Yard's ever-growing car requirement and eventual train-lengthening on the (G) line to 480' trains means that each car order to date has a 4-car and 5-car variant.

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Random question: if the MTA excerises all options on the 211 order, how are they going to number the cars? Go back down to the 3000s? Go to five digits? I'm curious.

4500-4999 are open then you would have ether 5201-5480 or 3328-4059 open.

1 hour ago, R68ACTrain said:

I don’t think they would use the R32 numbers yet, as they are still on property.

I'm talking about the option order 1 or 2 cars. by then the R32's would be completely retired and in work service and scrap.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

AAS system test:

I kind of wished this video showed something that we didn't see in the leak photos from months ago like what the announcements and door chimes would sound like. I'm hoping they didn't change both of them because it's kind of unnecessary.

23 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

I don’t think they would use the R32 numbers yet, as they are still on property.

You can use R32 numbers because most of the R32s would be renumbered to the 13xxx for work service. Since some of the remaining 222 cars are gone.