R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The text on these new signs will need to be reduced to compensate for the smaller LED matrix compared to the other trains. The 211s have a matrix field of only 160x15, much smaller than the 224x16 field available for the 179s. As shown on the (F) video, a lot of the longer-named stations will be forced to display on two separate lines. If they do something like they've done with the 143s-179s where the text is shrunk down to 13 pixels in height instead of using all 16 rows of space, most of the stations should fit easily. I'm surprised they spec'd out such restrictive displays, but the security cameras directly next to the displays might've forced the issue.

4 hours ago, Lance said:

The text on these new signs will need to be reduced to compensate for the smaller LED matrix compared to the other trains. The 211s have a matrix field of only 160x15, much smaller than the 224x16 field available for the 179s. As shown on the (F) video, a lot of the longer-named stations will be forced to display on two separate lines. If they do something like they've done with the 143s-179s where the text is shrunk down to 13 pixels in height instead of using all 16 rows of space, most of the stations should fit easily. I'm surprised they spec'd out such restrictive displays, but the security cameras directly next to the displays might've forced the issue.

Sheer curiosity, but what's the spec for the IRT stock?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they embedded it in the bezel instead of effectively sticking it on top of it.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:08 PM, jon2305 said:

If anyone happens to pass by C.I. yard on the (N) between C.I. Stillwell Ave & 86th St, you'll get a glimpse of the R211s end signed up as a (Q). Currently alongside the "veterans" R46 & R160.

Saw it today, someone changed the sign to the (L)

IRL this train looks very cartoonish, gonna take some time getting used to. 

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I saw it. They wanna look at signs to see how  operators can change routing signs in case of loans or emergency usage on lines 

I thought it's self-explanatory based on the current trains, unless it's completely different. I'd be interested in seeing how they set the programs in that case. Otherwise, they may be testing systems relating to the programs or just playing around.

3 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Hello all, this is the official interior font of the R211A/T, https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/1973817/r211a-t-interior-signage enjoy it! And it includes the interior bullet as well.

Sorry, but this looks quite inaccurate. I am also replicating the font right now, and I am striving for accuracy. It's not completed yet as not all the characters have not been seen, and therefore not released. Here is how my font looks like.
unknown.png

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

One of the headlights is broken already. Wow.

Headlights ain’t broken. Where do you see that? As mentioned, the glimpse of his 📷 makes it look that way. I love the propulsion on this one. It’s more quieter than the R160 Siemens 

Here is what the door chime sound like. 

The R211 is basically like an upgraded version of the R160B, similar door motor sounds and same door chimes. I'm really glad the big gap in announcements are fixed, the (A) and (C)'s announcements pretty much just sounds smooth all the way thanks to the same voice. Still a shame that they're going to default to one person for "The next stop is:" part. Good to know they aren't replacing Charles' voice either.