The Official Systematic Merger: NYCT/MTA Bus

East New York

• 1 month later...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merger Updates Effective April 26, 2016.

MTA has officially acellerated the sytematic merger. Originally, MTA made plans to have the new Bus Command Center and radio system in place before introduction of a unified farebox system for NYCT and MTAB.

New plans call for introduction of mobile ticketing that we can use on our smartphones in June of next year when the summer pick begins. Plans call for tickets to be able to be purchased prior to boarding and New York City Bus or Subway. It is said to be very similar to and called (MTA) eTix thats is in it's pilot phase on select MTA Railroad lines. More details will be available in the coming months.

The new "tap" contactless payment system will now be pushed forward from 2020, to June 2018. With this new system we will be able to use our phones, debit/credit cars with chips, or the new MTA SmartCard.

Effective immediately, (MTA) New York City Bus will be the branding for all of surface transit in the future. Buses will no longer wear titles however, and will only feature the MTA logo. For legal purposes the official names the divisions will remain and fall under MTA Bus Operations, which will comprise of Department of Buses TA/OA, and Bus Company. BC will offcially become the new OA for all general purposes. Bus Company HQ will be relocated to East New York Depot

All New York City Subway and Bus (NYCT/BusCo) personnel will receive new MTA SmartIDCards.

This will now directly line up with the introduction of the new dispatch, command, and radio projects.

So does this mean TA/OA and BC buses will still be kept exclusive within each Division or with new Radios and Farebox equipment Buses can now be traded and lent system wide? 

i.e JG/SC/WF/CP can all share/trade/loan CNGs amongst each other at any given time. Rather than needing to get OG/NG for loans from JFK or LGA. Vice verse - LGA can borrow from GA, CS instead of getting CNGs from CP? 

Also does this allow BC to run Subway Shuttles? 

Edited by Lennyj17

Merger Updates Effective April 26, 2016.

MTA has officially acellerated the sytematic merger. Originally, MTA made plans to have the new Bus Command Center and radio system in place before introduction of a unified farebox system for NYCT and MTAB.

New plans call for introduction of mobile ticketing that we can use on our smartphones in June of next year when the summer pick begins. Plans call for tickets to be able to be purchased prior to boarding and New York City Bus or Subway. It is said to be very similar to and called (MTA) eTix thats is in it's pilot phase on select MTA Railroad lines. More details will be available in the coming months.

The new "tap" contactless payment system will now be pushed forward from 2020, to June 2018. With this new system we will be able to use our phones, debit/credit cars with chips, or the new MTA SmartCard.

Effective immediately, (MTA) New York City Bus will be the branding for all of surface transit in the future. Buses will no longer wear titles however, and will only feature the MTA logo. For legal purposes the official names the divisions will remain and fall under MTA Bus Operations, which will comprise of Department of Buses TA/OA, and Bus Company. BC will offcially become the new OA for all general purposes. Bus Company HQ will be relocated to East New York Depot

All New York City Subway and Bus (NYCT/BusCo) personnel will receive new MTA SmartIDCards.

This will now directly line up with the introduction of the new dispatch, command, and radio projects.

Will mtab get the same color passes as OA/TA? Will the pass numbers stay the same?

So does this mean TA/OA and BC buses will still be kept exclusive within each Division or with new Radios and Farebox equipment Buses can now be traded and lent system wide? 

i.e JG/SC/WF/CP can all share/trade/loan CNGs amongst each other at any given time. Rather than needing to get OG/NG for loans from JFK or LGA. Vice verse - LGA can borrow from GA, CS instead of getting CNGs from CP? 

Also does this allow BC to run Subway Shuttles? 

Yes they will have the same fareboxes and be on the same radio system as well. As far as the rest of the details we will have to wait and see. Buses will be able to be loaned much more easy as they will have common systems. BC can already do subway shuttles, and have in the past, however, TA handles them for all general purposes. Things could change in the future. 

However, if BC is not integrated in any way other than a systematic surface merger, we may continue to see separate bus orders, and such. 

Will mtab get the same color passes as OA/TA? Will the pass numbers stay the same?

From what I understand they could get the same color, however if it remains green, it will still work with all NYCT bus and subways anyway. Rumor has it railroads will now be included.

I have something to say about this Bus Co/NYCT merger: There are a couple of things i really like to see after they have merged:

1.  there are 28 depots. Some depots close to another can close (Baisley Park for one thing. Jamaica can take over BP's routes). CP can finally be converted to Express only routes while all local routes get transferred to nearby CS. 

2. Instead of using prefixes, go with route numbering system: 1-218 in Manhattan and the Bronx to Manhattan , 220-290 in the Bronx only , 300-399 in Brooklyn, 400-539 in Queens, 540-599 in Staten Island and 850-989 to Express. 600 series can be used for sporting events and specials. 700 for SBS routes, maybe. 

3. Split depot buses with some of the busiest routes 

I have something to say about this Bus Co/NYCT merger: There are a couple of things i really like to see after they have merged:

1. there are 28 depots. Some depots close to another can close (Baisley Park for one thing. Jamaica can take over BP's routes). CP can finally be converted to Express only routes while all local routes get transferred to nearby CS.

2. Instead of using prefixes, go with route numbering system: 1-218 in Manhattan and the Bronx to Manhattan , 220-290 in the Bronx only , 300-399 in Brooklyn, 400-539 in Queens, 540-599 in Staten Island and 850-989 to Express. 600 series can be used for sporting events and specials. 700 for SBS routes, maybe.

That complicates everything plus riders will be confused with the numbering system you are trying to implement. At most I can see a few routes being shifted if unions allow it.

Casey Stengel cannot take on all of CP's routes plus they cannot handle CNG buses. Jamaica is already overcrowded so where are the ~120 buses going to go? The new depot will probably only be big enough to house their own buses since many are parked on the streets around the depot.

Yes they will have the same fareboxes and be on the same radio system as well. As far as the rest of the details we will have to wait and see. Buses will be able to be loaned much more easy as they will have common systems. BC can already do subway shuttles, and have in the past, however, TA handles them for all general purposes. Things could change in the future.

However, if BC is not integrated in any way other than a systematic surface merger, we may continue to see separate bus orders, and such.

From what I understand they could get the same color, however if it remains green, it will still work with all NYCT bus and subways anyway. Rumor has it railroads will now be included.

I know that in staten island, employees have passes that actually work in the farebox of the express buses. Will that be expanded system wide?

So with the chips and the new mobile tickets will this entirely get rid of metrocards or will metrocards still be around?

No. MetroCards will become obsolete. They will have to be traded in for a new SmartCard as the new system is not made for MetroCards. We will only be able to use our phones or SmartCards. I'm not sure if the app will be available for any platforms other than Android or iOS. I hear ApplePay and SamsungPay could be integrated as well.

All turnstiles, vending machines, booth computers, SBS Vending machines, and bus fareboxes will be replaced.

I know that in staten island, employees have passes that actually work in the farebox of the express buses. Will that be expanded system wide?

From what I hear yes, and it is also supposed to include LIRR, and Metro-North.

1.  there are 28 depots. Some depots close to another can close (Baisley Park for one thing. Jamaica can take over BP's routes). CP can finally be converted to Express only routes while all local routes get transferred to nearby CS. 

1. It's not that simple. Several different locals from 2 unions are in charge of the depots and personnel. There are 3 MTA Surface Transit divisions. NYC Transit Authority(TA), Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority(OA), and Bus Company(BC). TA is Civil Service Status, and OA, and BC, which were all consolidated private bus operations are now as they are both subsidiaries of. They do however have civil service protection, yet it is not as easy to transfer routes, or get both depots and union divisions to agree to terms. If this was the case, the Q32 would still be split between Quill and Stengel.

Quill is an OA TWU depot, and Stengel is a TA ATU depot. Sounds much easier than it actually is. Bus Company is a separate legal entity which is a totally different ball game.

2. Long ago the most buses had numbers without prefixes. As everything was integrated, that had to be changed immediately. You just confused 7 Million bus riders, and sat us back 75 years! lol. That may work other places, but our prefixes make perfect sense. Especially for tourists. This is the only city in America with counties inside of it. They need to, and always will remain as is. Its too confusing to try and remember what numbers go to what boroughs. Ask any New Yorker.

3. This is what we are looking forward to actually. However, again, you have union issues, pay issues, and other legal issues. The merger is only systematic until all the legal hurdles can be jumped. To the public, effective immediately it is all MTA NYC Bus to the public. However internally, there is still NYCT (OA/TA) and Bus Company.

Edited by East New York

The only way depots can be closed is if some new larger depots with expanded capacity are built.  The depot 'taking over' would need to have room for additional operations and management staff, available maintenance, fueling and bus storage space, etc.  Jamaica Depot could not take on Baisley Park's operations because they are crammed with their own operations and have no additional capacity to take on another depot's buses right now. 

The only way depots can be closed is if some new larger depots with expanded capacity are built.  The depot 'taking over' would need to have room for additional operations and management staff, available maintenance, fueling and bus storage space, etc.  Jamaica Depot could not take on Baisley Park's operations because they are crammed with their own operations and have no additional capacity to take on another depot's buses right now. 

Isn't the MTA currently working on their project with the Jamaica Bus Depot by demolishing the old depot, looking for a new location, and/or expanding? And if so and IF the merger goes through, maybe they can take BP's routes under their operation or maybe they can't, but only time can tell.

Isn't the MTA currently working on their project with the Jamaica Bus Depot by demolishing the old depot, looking for a new location, and/or expanding? And if so and IF the merger goes through, maybe they can take BP's routes under their operation or maybe they can't, but only time can tell.

Your late... They already found an expansion site for Jamaica Depot... And as far as trying to consolidate BP routes into JA... That's NOT happening buddy so you can get that thought off your mind for the time being

The only depot I can see closing while the merger happens is Yonkers, which I hear should have closed LONG AGO.

What has been stopping them from doing that? I heard all their routes would be shifted to ECH and both the Bx23 and Q50 will be based out of CP like the QBX1 was.

I wonder what was behind moving the QM4 to BP all about. There had to be a good reason for it.

What has been stopping them from doing that? I heard all their routes would be shifted to ECH and both the Bx23 and Q50 will be based out of CP like the QBX1 was.

I wonder what was behind moving the QM4 to BP all about. There had to be a good reason for it.

I've heard several different rumors as to why but here's my own opinion

The deadhead time from BP to Start point on QM4

and add runs to the depot

Isn't the MTA currently working on their project with the Jamaica Bus Depot by demolishing the old depot, looking for a new location, and/or expanding? And if so and IF the merger goes through, maybe they can take BP's routes under their operation or maybe they can't, but only time can tell.

Sure, plans can change, but as of now I believe the current plans call only for a new depot to accommodate the current Jamaica fleet including sufficient onsite parking space to end the practice of parking buses on surrounding streets.  Any possible consolidation with another depot would require a much larger new Jamaica depot.  At this time there is no capital money allocated for that.

Sure, plans can change, but as of now I believe the current plans call only for a new depot to accommodate the current Jamaica fleet including sufficient onsite parking space to end the practice of parking buses on surrounding streets.  Any possible consolidation with another depot would require a much larger new Jamaica depot.  At this time there is no capital money allocated for that.

Ah yes, the constant onsite parking along Merrick Blvd, South Rd, and 107 Ave. How could I forget to mention that. Everyday I pass through that depot, buses are parked on the curbs and whenever the buses return back to the depot, there's a long line that stretches out onto Merrick Blvd, whenever it turns right or left onto 107 Ave to enter the bus depot.

Your late... They already found an expansion site for Jamaica Depot... And as far as trying to consolidate BP routes into JA... That's NOT happening buddy so you can get that thought off your mind for the time being

Excuse me. I've been knew about this capital construction involving the Jamaica Depot. I was just only refreshing everyone's mind and was throwing out a factual suggestion because someone else mentioned about JA taking over BP routes. Before you come at me, read the previous comments that were there first.

The only depot I can see closing while the merger happens is Yonkers, which I hear should have closed LONG AGO.

I'm slightly concerned about the long deadheads from ECH to the BxM1-3/18 terminals causing service issues. But it's roughly the same distance to the QM2/20 terminals so I guess if those runs are fine it shouldn't be an issue.

I've been waiting for the full merger but instead of closing YON, I think they should split some of KB's routes (Bx7/10/20) if it's not a union issue. 

I'm slightly concerned about the long deadheads from ECH to the BxM1-3/18 terminals causing service issues. But it's roughly the same distance to the QM2/20 terminals so I guess if those runs are fine it shouldn't be an issue.

I've been waiting for the full merger but instead of closing YON, I think they should split some of KB's routes (Bx7/10/20) if it's not a union issue. 

VG8 is gonna kill me for this but I'd run the Yonkers express routes out of Kingsbridge

*braces for downvote*

Excuse me. I've been knew about this capital construction involving the Jamaica Depot. I was just only refreshing everyone's mind and was throwing out a factual suggestion because someone else mentioned about JA taking over BP routes. Before you come at me, read the previous comments that were there first.

First off I didn't come at you... If I did trust me you'd know it

There's no for any type of sensitivity here.... It's not that deep

And I DID see the prior comments before making mine... Ill stand firm on my standpoint

Jamaica once the depot is rebuilt then they will start to shift routes around...

They haven't even broke ground yet so relax...

Now if you feel some type of way still inbox me... I'll be more than happy to further elaborate on what I know with you

The one thing I'm not gonna do is go back and forth with another man over my hobby.... So your choice.... Inbox me or keep it to yourself

Edited by JFK Depot