NICE Bus cuts approved, 25 cent fare hike, 10 routes eliminated

Did anyone notice in the speech videos that after Rein Negroni spoke, Mr. Shrenkel pretty much just said "We don't have the answer to that" and his question was never answered by Mr. Setzer at the end. Mr. Shrenkel actually interrupted a lot of people as they were talking and wrapping up. It was almost like a subtle disrespect from the committee to the public. Seemed like most of the committee didn't even care.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone notice in the speech videos that after Rein Negroni spoke, Mr. Shrenkel pretty much just said "We don't have the answer to that" and his question was never answered by Mr. Setzer at the end. Mr. Shrenkel actually interrupted a lot of people as they were talking and wrapping up. It was almost like a subtle disrespect from the committee to the public. Seemed like most of the committee didn't even care.

There's only so much babbling one can stand.  Get to your point and let the next person go.

Sorry, but transit options are available. Maybe "guy" hasn't been "certified" through the proper channels. OR, he EXPECTS that someone is going to certify/qualify him without any input from himself.

Nassau has to abide by ADA just like everyone else. It is up to THE CUSTOMER to determine if they fit into programs available.

Just because you use a wheelchair doesn't mean you can ride MTA under half-price. The impetus is on the individual. Same everywhere else.

Witnessed a guy who did that here in little ol' Detroit. Bus operator charged him FULL FARE (and in effect told him to like it or lump it) because no qualifying ID was produced. Yep, that's "fairness" ... something some people don't like when it's applied to them. (OH, and we've got cameras all over the buses, and they CAN pull it up [and will] when complaints are lodged.)

P.S. I haven't forgotten your earlier comments. As from the Beavis and Butthead series (you'll probably find it "pirated" on UTube), "Prepare your butthole."

Excuse Me. This is not Detroit, MI. Whatever happens there is your problem. I WAS at that meeting and caught part of the footage with the man talking about how NICE cut his bus was stopping him from attending his doctor's appointments. Before you go around accusing people of stealing videos, why don't cha watch? You could learn something from this video. At least NY1635 sees this too as well, which I appreciate by the way.

Excuse Me. This is not Detroit, MI. Whatever happens there is your problem. I WAS at that meeting and caught part of the footage with the man talking about how NICE cut his bus was stopping him from attending his doctor's appointments. Before you go around accusing people of stealing videos, why don't cha watch? You could learn something from this video. At least NY1635 sees this too as well, which I appreciate by the way.

As someone who lives in Long Island, I say that those people do have transit options available, but the vibe that I get from the comments is that they're not willing to take the extra step to plan their trips accordingly or make changes. In truth, the county isn't doing too well financially to fund it's own bus service and NICE doesn't realistically know if the state is going to provide aid (which seems unlikely at the moment). In order to keep it's bus service, Manago would have to cut something else. I understand the frustration that most people feel about the situation, but there's nothing NICE or Mangano can do at the moment.

As someone who lives in Long Island, I say that those people do have transit options available, but the vibe that I get from the comments is that they're not willing to take the extra step to plan their trips accordingly or make changes. In truth, the county isn't doing too well financially to fund it's own bus service and NICE doesn't realistically know if the state is going to provide aid (which seems unlikely at the moment). In order to keep it's bus service, Manago would have to cut something else. I understand the frustration that most people feel about the situation, but there's nothing NICE or Mangano can do at the moment.

I agree with you with some parts, but under this cut, there will be areas where people will be literally left stranded with no bus service nor LIRR service.

There is also the option to let the last n72bus leave at 9:30pm to cover the n19 930pm leave...hey is not possible for a s40 to arrive at 915pm at Babylon if it leavesppatchogue at 830pm

But like one said here is all to SCTrecover the money and there make many changes. ..also if the n72 leaves at 9:20pm is no doubt that there will be a future 10:30pm n72 bus...but like i said all to God's will

hey is not possible for a s40 to arrive at 915pm at Babylon if it leavesppatchogue at 830pm

Probably possible if the route took Sunrise instead on Montauk or if traffic was light or there weren't alot of riders. Or of course the driver speeds.

Hang on a second: Didn't NICE restored the n17 as part of the service enhancements that the MTA cut, and they wanna eliminate this route "again"? These politics don't give 2 shits about their n bus routes. Soon, Nassau will not have any bus routes left except NYCTA's Q5, Q46 & Q85 that doesn't go far (Q5/85 to Green Acres Mall)

Hang on a second: Didn't NICE restored the n17 as part of the service enhancements that the MTA cut, and they wanna eliminate this route "again"? These politics don't give 2 shits about their n bus routes. Soon, Nassau will not have any bus routes left except NYCTA's Q5, Q46 & Q85 that doesn't go far (Q5/85 to Green Acres Mall)

True

The n17 was never a well-used route.  At best, it would have 3-4 people on it, and this is during the rush.

The n17 was never a well-used route.  At best, it would have 3-4 people on it, and this is during the rush.

Also, didn't Mercy agree to help pay for it?

The politicians in Nassau do care about the buses, if they didn't care then the lawmaker wouldn't have met with the County Executive to save NICE from the draconian cuts. One of the folks from Mercy Medical Center even went to the meetings to ask NICE to save the n17 because according to them, their patients and workers depend on the route. Also, Molloy College doesn't want people going through their campus to get to Mercy from the n16 stop on Hempstead Avenue.They also claim that if the route was more frequent, more people would take the n17.

TOuche. ..

I remember that i boarded the 830pm s40 at 839pm since it waste time because some drunk folks wanted to go to coram and weren't aware it was a s40 bus

Leaving 839pm and receiving only 5 passengers counting myself it arrived Babylon at exactly 920pm and yep that bus driver sped real quickly

If it left 8:39 and arrive at 9:20 it is real possible that a 835pm s40 will arrive at 9:15-9:18pm just in the pick of time to connect to the last n72 bus

Hope someday NICE can reconsidered extending back the n19 to Babylon after the possible wake off unhappy users

Nice made the announcement on their site:http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

January 17th, 2016 Schedule ChangeDue to a budget deficit and low ridership, the following route eliminations and restructuring will go into effect on January 17th, 2016.

n2/8 will be eliminated
n14  will be eliminated
n17  will be eliminated
n46  will be eliminated (please use the n47 for trips between HTC and Newbridge Road)
n50  will be eliminated
n51  will be eliminated
n62  will be eliminated
n73  will be eliminated
n74  will be eliminated
n80  will be eliminated
n81  will be eliminated

n19 trips will start/end at the Sunrise Mall and will not travel further east to Babylon. (please use the SCT's s20 for trips on to Babylon)

I would've honestly maintained the n73 and the n81, as well as reverted the n2 to its former route. The n50 I would've also remained as north-south coverage. I agree with the other changes, more or less. While SE Nassau doesn't use the buses, there should've been coverage service left, like the n81 (which originally was proposed for elimination, then taken off, then placed on the table again).

The more the merrier I suppose. If for whatever reason they get a boost in revenue they can reinstate any of those lines and be praised.

I think they've said that if they got more money they'd put it towards reducing pass-ups on the busy routes.

But I don't see that happening, given that these cuts don't close the entire budget gap and Nassau is threatening to widen it further.

I think they've said that if they got more money they'd put it towards reducing pass-ups on the busy routes.

But I don't see that happening, given that these cuts don't close the entire budget gap and Nassau is threatening to widen it further.

That's fair enough, I see a lot of pass-ups on the n6.

The more the merrier I suppose. If for whatever reason they get a boost in revenue they can reinstate any of those lines and be praised.

NICE seems to have done that before. The reinstation of the n17 (which will now be eliminated), the reinstation of the n87 (which has already been eliminated [again]), the making of an n22 limited (which has already been eliminated), and the making of an n6 express (which has ultimately destroyed the route).

I believe you're correct as Mr. Setzer did say that at the meeting. The n6 has lost a lot of ridership since NICE took over.

NICE seems to have done that before. The reinstation of the n17 (which will now be eliminated), the reinstation of the n87 (which has already been eliminated [again]), the making of an n22 limited (which has already been eliminated), and the making of an n6 express (which has ultimately destroyed the route).

I believe you're correct as Mr. Setzer did say that at the meeting. The n6 has lost a lot of ridership since NICE took over.

If you think they lost ridership on the N6,wait til you see what happens when they break up the N20/21 at Great Neck into separate routes. This is by far the most insane idea that NICE has ever come up with.

Some day the n21 will either be eliminated or cot back for a run every 2 hours in other words it would have just two frequencies running since it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to make it to either poles. (Glen cove or flushing)

To me is better that this route detours to great neck and the n20 bypass the entry at all times but keep the roslyn access intact since the n20 dosent make waste too much time there

If you think they lost ridership on the N6,wait til you see what happens when they break up the N20/21 at Great Neck into separate routes. This is by far the most insane idea that NICE has ever come up with.

Wait, is that just a NICE idea or proposal, or are there plans set to initiate that in the coming future? Is there a date for that? Any idea on if one portion of the route will be renamed or something?

I'm surprised the N21 has survived this long. Most people I see using it now are trying to get to Great Neck or Flushing when the N20 is missing or late.

If the n21 [portion] did get eliminated, given the frequency of the service of that portion, the n19 or maybe even the n81 could have been saved.

Some day the n21 will either be eliminated or cot back for a run every 2 hours in other words it would have just two frequencies running since it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to make it to either poles. (Glen cove or flushing)

To me is better that this route detours to great neck and the n20 bypass the entry at all times but keep the roslyn access intact since the n20 dosent make waste too much time there

Interesting idea. I've seen suggestions to just turn all n21 runs into n20 Mineola runs. It's also interesting that you bring up skipping Great Neck, because I've seen so many n20 LIMITED's in the evening rush heading east that are close to empty, and then you have people being passed up at Great Neck who want to head west and there aren't enough buses.

Absolutely, the N6 used to be full all day. What was the ridership numbers before NICE took over? We can compare it to the most recent presentation.

While making this post I found this article from 2007 :http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/nyregion/26buses.html?referrer=&_r=0

The N6 bus now serves 14,175 riders on an average weekday.

Ridership on the N6, which now serves 14,175 riders on an average weekday, has grown 29 percent in the past decade. It is also one of the few Long Island Bus routes that run 24 hours a day. Routes between Flushing and Nassau have also become more popular in part because train service along the North Shore is sporadic for reverse commuters.

Setzer said 14,801 in the hearing. Did it rise up to the point when NICE took over then drop to current levels? Also, it's possible that bus tracking is increasing ridership. I definitely use the bus more now that I know where they are, and because there's an influx of clueless drivers on the road that I'd rather not share space with.  <_<

Are you saying the N20 goes to Flushing, and the Western Terminal of the N21 will be Great Neck? 

Interesting idea. I've seen suggestions to just turn all n21 runs into n20 Mineola runs. It's also interesting that you bring up skipping Great Neck, because I've seen so many n20 LIMITED's in the evening rush heading east that are close to empty, and then you have people being passed up at Great Neck who want to head west and there aren't enough buses.

NICE has said that the majority of N20/N21 ridership is between Flushing and Great Neck so bypassing Great Neck isn't a good idea.

Absolutely, the N6 used to be full all day. What was the ridership numbers before NICE took over? We can compare it to the most recent presentation.

While making this post I found this article from 2007 :http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/nyregion/26buses.html?referrer=&_r=0

Setzer said 14,801 in the hearing. Did it rise up to the point when NICE took over then drop to current levels? Also, it's possible that bus tracking is increasing ridership. I definitely use the bus more now that I know where they are, and because there's an influx of clueless drivers on the road that I'd rather not share space with.  <_<

Are you saying the N20 goes to Flushing, and the Western Terminal of the N21 will be Great Neck? 

NICE has said that the majority of N20/N21 ridership is between Flushing and Great Neck so bypassing Great Neck isn't a good idea.

Both the N20 & 21 will terminate in Great Neck in each direction-no more through bus to or from Flushing. I've been told this is a done deal.

Archived