NICE Bus cuts approved, 25 cent fare hike, 10 routes eliminated

You know they say that seperaring the n20 in two frequencies would save the budget but look at example the q36...its route between Jamaica and floral park is the same but it gets extended via little neck pkwy to overrun the discontinued q79 bus but only weekday service and until 8pm (q79 was Monday to Saturday's) ...the q36 and the q79 fusioned to the new andimproved q36

Another bus route that extended its route to overrun the discontinued or truncation of the former route are :

Bx39 (between Williams bridge and Wakefield)

M5 (Between east village to southferry to rreplace the truncated m1 and discontinued m6)

Q47 (between Jackson hts and Glendale to replacethe q45 as a new iimproved q47)

S66 (segment of the old s60 bus)

B68 (between Brighton beach and coney island in 2002)

Theres more just dosent come to mind

But to say much all the mentioned routes are of the MTA none come to mind of NICE or less Suffolk Transit.

The truncation of the n79 from mineola to Hicksville was not so affected since NICE (then long island bus) knew that more than 75% of bus transfers from south Huntington and intermediate stops was to Hicksville buses. ..I guess rarely a passenger would take a bus from long beach (n15) and go all the way to mineola and transfer to the n79 and go to W.W. mall. ..i guess that maybe the rreason for the truncation of the n19 to advance to sunrise mall

But like mentioned the s40 must advanced to Amityville and connect to the last n55 bus...suburban workers of transport must know there are some city folks riding suburban buses and have city like mentality that is that we expect buses to run fairly late and not be stranded. ..not everybody have cars

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE added the n20/21 to its website. As I somewhat expected, purely driven by an OTP motive. But restoring n21 weekend service is so unnecessary...(though I wonder if it's just a shifting of runtime on the Roslyn trips)

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

January 17th, 2016 Schedule Change

Due to a budget deficit and low ridership, the following route eliminations and restructuring will go into effect on January 17th, 2016.

n2/8 will be eliminated

n14  will be eliminated

n17  will be eliminated

n46  will be eliminated (please use the n47 for trips between HTC and Newbridge Road)

n50  will be eliminated

n51  will be eliminated

n62  will be eliminated

n73  will be eliminated

n74  will be eliminated

n80  will be eliminated

n81  will be eliminated

n19 trips will start/end at the Sunrise Mall and will not travel further east to Babylon. (please use the SCT's s20 for trips on to Babylon)

n20 and n21 Restructuring

n20-v3.png

The n20 and n21 routes' on time performance has long suffered, due to heavy traffic in Flushing and on Northern Boulevard.  In order to help these routes improve on time performance, we have opted to restructure them in to smaller portions. Starting January 17th, the n20 will be broken up into two legs: the n20G, which will run from Flushing to Great Neck and the n20H which will run from Great Neck to Hicksville.  The n21 will no longer run to Flushing, and will run from Great Neck to Glen Cove only   This restructuring, with added recovery time, will help these routes run much more efficiently.

-The n20G will run from Flushing to Great Neck.  For travel further EASTWARDS towards Hicksville please transfer to the n20H at Great Neck LIRR.  Another transfer option for stops between Great Neck and the Clock Tower in Roslyn is the n21.

-The n20H will run from Hicksville to Great Neck.  For travel further WESTWARDS towards Flushing, please transfer to the n20G.

-Weekend service on the n21 is being restored.

Where is most of the Heavy Traffic on Northern Blvd? Is it Queens or Nassau? Would in-sync traffic signals help?

You know they say that seperaring the n20 in two frequencies would save the budget but look at example the q36...its route between Jamaica and floral park is the same but it gets extended via little neck pkwy to overrun the discontinued q79 bus but only weekday service and until 8pm (q79 was Monday to Saturday's) ...the q36 and the q79 fusioned to the new andimproved q36

The MTA definitely did that correctly. I can confirm ridership along the Q79 portion of the new Q36 increased when it got brought back as an extension of the route. That connection to Jamaica definitely played a good role.

Where is most of the Heavy Traffic on Northern Blvd? Is it Queens or Nassau? Would in-sync traffic signals help?

During rush hours, it's between Middle Neck Rd in Great Neck and Marathon Pkwy in Little Neck. The light at Northern Blvd & Great Neck Rd can be a problem, and usually causes a backup with increased traffic in the area.

I would say that the heaviest traffic for the n20 is in queens and yeah MTA never knew of fusioning the q36 and the q79...is a good cause formed

As the n20 to besseparated in two frequencies then now one to transfer from a NYC subway to go to Hicksville must take either the n22 or the n24

I would say that the heaviest traffic for the n20 is in queens and yeah MTA never knew of fusioning the q36 and the q79...is a good cause formed

As the n20 to besseparated in two frequencies then now one to transfer from a NYC subway to go to Hicksville must take either the n22 or the n24

It's a pretty long bus ride from Jamaica to Hicksville.

Yeah but for $2.75 is a bargain and from midtown to Hicksville. ..heck i always thought that the BL 14 route was really Long but the longest bus route one seat ride is handed to the s92 of neighbouring suffolk transit at 110 km from Orient point to east Hampton via peconic hospital in riverhead. ..it takes this route 2.5-3.0 hours to complete the route ...one hour the orient point riverhead segment and 1.5 hour the riverhead eastHampton segment ...i put 3 hours since the s92 can takelong time if stuck on the famously Hampton congestion. .with this it is clearly impossible for a passenger to transfer to the 10C bus if coming from Orient point or greenport because of the 2 hour gap...however from riverhead it is clearly easier...but i think some SCT users may know the old trick to solicitate the driver a transfer as it arrives east Hampton and collocation of 25 cents in the slot and thus head to Montauk from Orient point for just $2.50...the 135 km distance and $2.50 travel is considered the longest/ cheapest bus ride in north America. ..compare $2.50 to $30.00 NYC to Philadelphia or $21.00 new York- new haven or $18.00 NYC- Trenton

Only the megabus can surpass the majestic s92 in cheap bus ride but difference is that one can pay onboard and not via internet and thus use of credit cards

But back to the thread. ..Hicksville is more farther than Hempstead also the n24 never advance to Hicksville it always terminate in Roosevelt field mall with R/H extending to Nassau colliseum. ..prior to the n24 extension only the n22 was the only bus from Jamaica that reached Hicksville. ..the n22 is different from the n20 in which it is a consolidated route and not segmentated like the case of the mentioned n20

Like one says...there's always a plan B

Plan A:n20

Plan B : n22 or n24

Could have just split the n20 and gave them designations without the G and H...but this is NICE

There are plenty of available numbers, starting with N5.  

Do you know if LIB or NICE ever thought about using Great Neck Road as a "shortcut"? Instead going up and down Middle Neck Road in both directions?

No, but NYC Transit considered it in 2007-2008 for a potential Q12 extension as part of an expansion/enhancement plan that never happened.  I'm guessing that NICE wants to eventually kill the N20G and and allow the Q12 to go in.

The q12 cant be inthe list of the eexpansion clearly because the distance between the city line and Great Neck RR station is pretty long...let's not forget that the q5 and q85 don't make any stops between hook creek Blvd and the green acres mall...and the q113 makes stops in Nassau county but the bus stops are via curb stopping and flagging the bus hence it is the Only MTA Nyc bus to be stopped via flagging. ..

If the MTA were to expand the Q12 to Great Neck, which would be a good idea if they did it with the right amount of runs, it might be even more of a reason to have artics serving Northern Blvd between Flushing and Nassau County. I'm not suggesting every Q12 go to Great Neck, but it would bring more ridership to the Q12 since NICE is stupid at the moment. DS4Ever brought up the idea of curb stopping and flagging the bus. Even that would work for that portion of the route even though I don't see the current amount of stops between Glenwood St and Middle Neck Rd a problem for adding to the route. Hell, hybrids (MTA), diesels (MTA), and CNG buses (NICE) servicing Great Neck daily. Bus fans here will love that.

The q12 cant be inthe list of the eexpansion clearly because the distance between the city line and Great Neck RR station is pretty long...let's not forget that the q5 and q85 don't make any stops between hook creek Blvd and the green acres mall...and the q113 makes stops in Nassau county but the bus stops are via curb stopping and flagging the bus hence it is the Only MTA Nyc bus to be stopped via flagging. ..

They aren't really flag stops in the Nassau portion of the 113/114. Although there are a few missing signs,mainly on Rockaway Tpk,most stops are marked with the "No stopping bus stop" regulatory signage.

NICE added the n20/21 to its website. As I somewhat expected, purely driven by an OTP motive. But restoring n21 weekend service is so unnecessary...(though I wonder if it's just a shifting of runtime on the Roslyn trips)

http://nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Schedule-Changes.aspx

There's a budget deficit, and they're adding service n21 service on weekends, yet they're not leaving any route for coverage in SE Nassau running North to South. I would've either kept the n81, or have had this added runtime been added to the n27 in terms of more bus service. What happened to adding buses on the higher-utilized routes? I know the n20/21 are pretty big, but the n21 standalone portion is really bad, some buses are empty before even reaching the clock tower. I thought midday service was gonna be eliminated at first when talks about cuts lingered, not the opposite. Perhaps somebody waved a wand and all of a sudden, n21 service on that portion grew exponentially, but I highly doubt it. 

They probably added N21 weekend service so that they can provide enough service to the Roslyn clock tower but not overserve the N20H, and riders from Glen Cove don't have to make 3 transfers to go to/from Flushing

Technically 2 transfers (3 buses), but yes, I think that's the reasoning.

The Roslyn short-turns currently take around 20 minutes each way. The extension to Glen Cove adds around 20 minutes, so assuming hourly headways, it would require 2 buses rather than 1. 

Personally, I've always thought that Glen Cove was severely underserved in terms of coverage. I've always thought that the N27 should be extended to Morgan Memorial Park, while the N21 gets extended to the Locust Valley LIRR station (serving the Glen Cove Hospital, and the adjacent section of Locust Valley, which is more working-class).

Ideally, they would be able to use that extra recovery time (assuming most of the unreliability is on the western end, the N21 wouldn't need the full 20 minutes of recovery time on each end) to extend the N21. And for the N27, perhaps it would be worth looking into cutting it back to the RFM in order to free up resources to extend it on the northern end. Of course, in practice, it might look bad if they were adding service in those areas while cutting entire routes in SE Nassau.

• 4 weeks later...

Technically 2 transfers (3 buses), but yes, I think that's the reasoning.

The Roslyn short-turns currently take around 20 minutes each way. The extension to Glen Cove adds around 20 minutes, so assuming hourly headways, it would require 2 buses rather than 1. 

Personally, I've always thought that Glen Cove was severely underserved in terms of coverage. I've always thought that the N27 should be extended to Morgan Memorial Park, while the N21 gets extended to the Locust Valley LIRR station (serving the Glen Cove Hospital, and the adjacent section of Locust Valley, which is more working-class).

Ideally, they would be able to use that extra recovery time (assuming most of the unreliability is on the western end, the N21 wouldn't need the full 20 minutes of recovery time on each end) to extend the N21. And for the N27, perhaps it would be worth looking into cutting it back to the RFM in order to free up resources to extend it on the northern end. Of course, in practice, it might look bad if they were adding service in those areas while cutting entire routes in SE Nassau.

N27 to RFM without hempstead is reasonable

Archived