NICE Bus cuts approved, 25 cent fare hike, 10 routes eliminated

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE Bus kept changing the list. Current as of Nov 19th.

n2/8: Green Acres Loop: Elimination

n14: Rockville Cetre Loop: Elimation

n17: Rockville Cetre-Hempstead via Mercy Hospital: Elimination

n19: No service between Sunrise Mall and Babylon Station

n46: All service terminate/originate at Jerusalem Av-Rd/NewBridge Rd. No Bellmore Village service.

n50: Hicksville-Bellmore

n51: Roosevelt Field-Merrick

n62: South Freeport Loop (both routing)

n73/74: Hicksville-Wantagh

n80/81: Hicksville-Sunrise Mall

Counting the n2/n8, n73/n74 and n80/n81 as one route each, instead of two diffrent routesm hen you do have 9 routes being cut. That's probably what News 12 did. 

Cant the prople make a petition to nice to NOT eliminate the n19 segment between sunrise malland babylon .

Is not to make that changes that is if the contact Suffolk Transit to extend the s40 to sunrise via the n19 segment that is to be eliminated

The s40 from patchogue must now make it to Babylon at latest 9:18pm to make transfer for the LAST n72 leaving to Nassau and hence to a 24/7 bus (n6)

No to the elimination of the n19 Sunrise mall-Babylon segment

Cant the prople make a petition to nice to NOT eliminate the n19 segment between sunrise malland babylon .

Is not to make that changes that is if the contact Suffolk Transit to extend the s40 to sunrise via the n19 segment that is to be eliminated

The s40 from patchogue must now make it to Babylon at latest 9:18pm to make transfer for the LAST n72 leaving to Nassau and hence to a 24/7 bus (n6)

I question the ability of the committee to care about bus service in Suffolk. The N19 truncation was probably a "whatever".

You're second on my list of responses.  Read my posts in the Random Thoughts--NICE here.

HINT:  You may not live in Nassau, and I may not live in Nassau, however what's in common is that I DO live in an area that HATES buses, and in many ways parallels Nassau.  Your overgeneralizations are, well, overBLOWN.  Just because Nassau is a "part" of the NYC demographic area does NOT mean that it conforms TO the NYC-based demographics.

Just wait .... and be prepared.

You have a point, but that's not the part of his post I had a problem with (see reply below)...

LOL. I don't live in LI first of all. I was at that meeting. A lot of people told Ed Manago and the NICE Bus executives exactly how they felt. The only reason people can rely on autos than LI Buses because the bus service NICE provides SUCKS! Not sure about the living in LI (NOT MY CONCERN). My overall part is NICE Bus service is horrible and needs to change ASAP. It's like we're reliving the moments when MTA cut all ties with Long Island back in 2011. From what I heard from that hearing, people rely heavily for these buses to go to work, school, hospitals, doctor appointments, etc, for the young, old, disabled, etc. (like I said TRANSITJUSTICEFORALL!!!)

Yeah, let's forget that Nassau county is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation....

For starters, A widespread amount of people in Nassau can rely on automobiles because they can freakin afford them, not because public surface transportation sucks.... A ridiculous assertion if I've ever heard one, and it's exactly the problem I have with pro-transit people - this train of thought that is suggestive of *public transit should first be considered before the private vehicle*.....

Transitjusticeforall aka Brett former moderater on nyctransitfourms welcome back I was wondering if you were gonna ever come back.

Brett had a car... Whoever this transitjustice dude is, is clearly a car hater.

Ohhhhhhhhh are you totally mistaken.

Before I light into your behind, read the EXACT wording of what you're trying to twist around to "justify" your thinking ......

(apologies of this is mentioned by someone later than Page 2 of this thread, this required almost immediate attention as I was going through this thread and responses)--

This is from PACE Bus, a "division" of the multi-county Chicago RTA (which includes PACE, CTA, and METRA).

Not going to quote it directly, you should be able to click the link and read it word for word --

SPOILER ALERT: NOWHERE does it say that any transit agency is REQUIRED to provide service in "disaffected", "minority" or other areas, as some may INTERPRET it to mean.  If you want the full Federal text, do like I did, and GOOGLE it..

TEXT: (in Espanol also, if you prefer): https://www.pacebus.com/sub/about/title_vi_policy.asp

Next RATIONAL argument, please.

I did make a rational argument. Did you even bother to read the webpage that you just linked? The Civil Rights Act is a federal law. Transit agencies are required comply with the Civil Right's Act provide a fair level of service and can't discriminate against anyone's race or skin color,  which is even stated in Point A of PACE's objective. It's even stated in points B and D of PACE's objectives that they have to consider low income communities, and can't deny service to low income, or minority populations. If these transit agencies weren't required to provide service in those areas, then they wouldn't have a web page about Title VI of the Civil Right's Acts in the first place.

If Nassau follows through with its threat of cutting the increased subsidy they gave NICE last year, that's at least another $4M of cuts. Given that these cuts and fare increases generate slightly over $4M (possibly more now that they added the n2/8/73/74), I'd expect another round of similar size (in terms of service hours)

But what is there left to cut without cutting into the big routes?!

-n33

-n36

-n45

-n47

-n78

-n57

After that they'd have to start getting creative with terminals and reroutes.

If Nassau follows through with its threat of cutting the increased subsidy they gave NICE last year, that's at least another $4M of cuts. Given that these cuts and fare increases generate slightly over $4M (possibly more now that they added the n2/8/73/74), I'd expect another round of similar size (in terms of service hours)

-n33

-n36

-n45

-n47

-n78

-n57

I can picture the n36, n45 and n47 being outright eliminated because they can't be reduced any further, and peak hour n1 Jamaica trips possibly being gone for good if Nassau follows through with it's threat to cut the NICE bus subsidy.

Suffolk doesn't have money either, I mean they have a 10 million short fall.  Extending the S40 would prbably add an extra bus or two and that would be out.  Not to mention that they already have a route that goes from Babylon to Sunrise Mall. 

But the s20 bus route ends too early let it leave latest 9pm

Oh well just rely on the last n72 leaving 920pm...after all the penultimate s40 leaves patchogue at 830pm and arrives Babylon 9:15p earliest

Like they say in the religion all to God's will. :/

At this point what can save NICE routes. They are going to keep cutting until nothing is left besides the routes that go into Queens and a few major ones within Nassau.

Does anyone think that things would be any better if the MTA still ran Long Island bus?

I feel like the cuts would have been the same but worst.

I remember when the N1, N2, and N3 ran to Jamaica and now the N1 barely runs to Jamaica anymore. Sometimes you can see a few N20's and N21's in Flushing and then there is a huge gap before you see one again. Things are so rough out there I feel sorry for those that take NICE bus and have to deal with poor service. I am just waiting to hear about these brand new XN40's breaking down a lot and at this point I know it's going to happen.

SPOILER ALERT: NOWHERE does it say that any transit agency is REQUIRED to provide service in "disaffected", "minority" or other areas, as some may INTERPRET it to mean.  

No, it's is not MANDATORY to provide service specifically to disadvantaged communities. The requirement is that when existing service is reduced, the cuts can't be entirely or mostly in disadvantaged communities. 

If these transit agencies weren't required to provide service in those areas, then they wouldn't have a web page about Title VI of the Civil Right's Acts in the first place.

It's not about mandatory service to minority neighborhoods, because there is no such legal mandate.

It would be perfectly legal for Nassau County to shut down the whole bus system. Why? Because everybody would lose equally.

At this point what can save NICE routes. They are going to keep cutting until nothing is left besides the routes that go into Queens and a few major ones within Nassau.

Does anyone think that things would be any better if the MTA still ran Long Island bus?

I feel like the cuts would have been the same but worst.

I remember when the N1, N2, and N3 ran to Jamaica and now the N1 barely runs to Jamaica anymore. Sometimes you can see a few N20's and N21's in Flushing and then there is a huge gap before you see one again. Things are so rough out there I feel sorry for those that take NICE bus and have to deal with poor service. I am just waiting to hear about these brand new XN40's breaking down a lot and at this point I know it's going to happen.

Basically, if you ride in Nassau County, then you'll take whatever service the County feels like paying for and you'll like it.

But the s20 bus route ends too early let it leave latest 9pm

They could do that, though there would have to be a ridership demand for it, since it has been done yet my guess is that there either hasn't been a demand yet or such a demand hasn't been realized. Though Even is a demand exists, I don't think Suffolk would do anything until they close the 10 million gap and when ever they get the extra money to play with.

-n33

-n36

-n45

-n47

-n78

-n57

The N78 probably saves them money as it's essentially a shortrun

I can picture the n36, n45 and n47 being outright eliminated because they can't be reduced any further, and peak hour n1 Jamaica trips possibly being gone for good if Nassau follows through with it's threat to cut the NICE bus subsidy.

If they cut the rush hour peak direction N1 they'd have to increase N6 service. The 1s to Jamaica in the morning are full, especially if there's a gap in N6 service, sometimes N1s wind up flagging along Hempstead Turnpike also.

Reverting N31 to not run all day (can't remember former schedule)

n16 short runs

I remember the n32 would only run every 40 minutes.  It would end up SRO before it even got off NY24 most of the time and the wait was unbearable, so NICE instated an all-day N31 that alternated with the N32 on equal headways.

The n16 has always been a tricky route.  Ridership drops because after Hempstead.

Reverting N31 to not run all day (can't remember former schedule)

n16 short runs

The N31 used to have midday trips end in Lynbrook. That is a cut that I would have proposed to save the n73...have n31 trips to HTC be rush hours only. Another proposal I would have made is to cut most n19 Suffolk County service, but retain alternate n19 service to Amityville to exchange with the S1 and LIRR. To pay for that, service to Jericho Quad (which is currently served by a shuttle from Hicksville) would be eliminated. If more money is needed to maintain this, cut from welfare.

Yes...Here go again...BUS CUTS IN LONG ISLAND STRIKES AGAIN!!!! NICE Bus Company wants to cut service on the n2/8, n14, n17, n46, n50, n51, n62, n73, n74, n80, and n81 routes. Discontinue n16 service throughout Mercy Hospital and n19 service east of Sunrise Mall and raise fares to cover up a $7.5 billion deficit. Like if 2010/2011 cuts from MTA wasn't bad enough. Here is part of a meeting with a man that has a complication of health problems and can"t get to his doctor's appointments due to service being cut. Tough world. We can only think Cuomo and Mangano for this.

NICE Bus Hearing @ Theodore Roosevelt Legislative & Executive Hearing in Mineola, Long Island, NY

Yes...Here go again...BUS CUTS IN LONG ISLAND STRIKES AGAIN!!!! NICE Bus Company wants to cut service on the n2/8, n14, n17, n46, n50, n51, n62, n73, n74, n80, and n81 routes. Discontinue n16 service throughout Mercy Hospital and n19 service east of Sunrise Mall and raise fares to cover up a $7.5 billion deficit. Like if 2010/2011 cuts from MTA wasn't bad enough. Here is part of a meeting with a man that has a complication of health problems and can"t get to his doctor's appointments due to service being cut. Tough world. We can only think Cuomo and Mangano for this.

NICE Bus Hearing @ Theodore Roosevelt Legislative & Executive Hearing in Mineola, Long Island, NY

Sorry, but transit options are available.  Maybe "guy" hasn't been "certified" through the proper channels.  OR, he EXPECTS that someone is going to certify/qualify him without any input from himself.

Nassau has to abide by ADA just like everyone else. It is up to THE CUSTOMER to determine if they fit into programs available.

Just because you use a wheelchair doesn't mean you can ride MTA under half-price.  The impetus is on the individual.  Same everywhere else.

Witnessed a guy who did that here in little ol' Detroit.  Bus operator charged him FULL FARE (and in effect told him to like it or lump it) because no qualifying ID was produced.  Yep, that's "fairness" ... something some people don't like when it's applied to them.  (OH, and we've got cameras all over the buses, and they CAN pull it up [and will] when complaints are lodged.)

P.S.  I haven't forgotten your earlier comments.  As from the Beavis and Butthead series (you'll probably find it "pirated" on UTube), "Prepare your butthole."

I did make a rational argument. Did you even bother to read the webpage that you just linked? The Civil Rights Act is a federal law. Transit agencies are required comply with the Civil Right's Act provide a fair level of service and can't discriminate against anyone's race or skin color,  which is even stated in Point A of PACE's objective. It's even stated in points B and D of PACE's objectives that they have to consider low income communities, and can't deny service to low income, or minority populations. If these transit agencies weren't required to provide service in those areas, then they wouldn't have a web page about Title VI of the Civil Right's Acts in the first place.

BUT they cannot be COMPELLED, like what you're insinuating.  There's a big difference between looking at trend and saying, "No that area doesn't warrant service" versus your thinking that "Everywhere should get service."  Even the old Soviet Union didn't work like that.  (Look it up, right here on Wikipedia.  Outer areas even under Soviet control didn't receive transit service if it wasn't warranted.  So, in effect, the wonderous government was acting like evil capitalist pigs, while everyone [notably, NON-residents] was supposed to be having Kumbayahhh moments.  Ruh roh.)

So, as I said, NEXT rational argument.......

BUT they cannot be COMPELLED, like what you're insinuating.  There's a big difference between looking at trend and saying, "No that area doesn't warrant service" versus your thinking that "Everywhere should get service."  Even the old Soviet Union didn't work like that.  (Look it up, right here on Wikipedia.  Outer areas even under Soviet control didn't receive transit service if it wasn't warranted.  So, in effect, the wonderous government was acting like evil capitalist pigs, while everyone [notably, NON-residents] was supposed to be having Kumbayahhh moments.  Ruh roh.)

So, as I said, NEXT rational argument.......

But I never insinuated that everywhere should get service. If I were to articulate my views a little, I believe that Nassau County should provide bus service to areas that warrant it the most. The county just happened to put itself in a position where it's compelled to provide bus service because Ed Mangano promised the residents of Nassau good bus service at low costs. Why do you think TransitJusticeForAll is blaming the County executive? It's because the Mangano's name is on all the NICE buses to remind people who "saved" Nassau's bus system.

The day that Nassau losses it's bus system will be the day the Ed Mangano scrapes his name off every single bus.

Archived