8 Av Express, Why so slow??

lightkiller145

well the (A) is used by loads of customers from Inwood, as its an express train, (1) train is hardly used cuz its Local, and express service dont begin till 96st on the (2)/(3), which the (A) starts ar 168th Street, people prefer getting downtown quicker, and when the train hits 145th street a little more delays appears from the junction of the cocourse/st nicholas lines, since the (A)(C) (:rolleyes:(D) merges under 141st Street

well the (A) is used by loads of customers from Inwood, as its an express train, (1) train is hardly used cuz its Local, and express service dont begin till 96st on the (2)/(3), which the (A) starts ar 168th Street, people prefer getting downtown quicker, and when the train hits 145th street a little more delays appears from the junction of the cocourse/st nicholas lines, since the (A)(C) (:rolleyes:(D) merges under 141st Street

I feel the (1) has its own fair use of utilization.

I feel the (1) has its own fair use of utilization.

You know if the (9) was back, instead of skip-stop, they can turn it into an express

From 242nd to dycman and then skip stop (Or No skip stop) and then after 145th Street express to 96 then lcl

That would improve rider ship

You know if the (9) was back, instead of skip-stop, they can turn it into an express

From 242nd to dycman and then skip stop (Or No skip stop) and then after 145th Street express to 96 then lcl

The 7th ave IRT does not have express capability on the (1) south of central park. (9) express would likely work north of the last area on those tracks, which might work in practice. (MTA) would have to find out which stations are used the most & make those express stops. That's assuming a lot though....

- A

Wouldn't work too good, not enough track capacity to run enough trains to keep up service intervals on the locals, plus the new South Ferry Terminal would only be able to turn 24 tph, that's not enough if you turn half (or even 8 of them) into (9)s.

Also 137-96 is where a good deal of the ridership is, gettin on and gettin off...plus you got Columbia AND City College as stops along there (and of course 125)

As for the Original Poster, don't know if he's referring to INTERVALS or OPERATING SPEED when he says "slow." Rest assured the (1) is more packed than the (A) (as in less likelihood of getting a seat), and the line does run more often. (A)'s can get fairly crowded, particularly further up the line but the longer trains allow them to run fewer sets.

As for OPERATING SPEED, if you're referring to the GT 20 signals all the way down CPW, then I agree with you on that...those tracks should be faster than that, at least 25-30. It's slow through 135th b/c there are a lot of switches over there "homeball alley" so that is completely understandable.

The 7th ave IRT does not have express capability on the (1) south of central park. (9) express would likely work north of the last area on those tracks, which might work in practice. (MTA) would have to find out which stations are used the most & make those express stops. That's assuming a lot though....

- A

didnt mean south of 96, i mean Northern Broadway express, but then again there could be a lil bit of delays north of 145th and south of Dyicman due to switches

@SubwayGuy- wat does GT mean/stand forum?

didnt mean south of 96, i mean Northern Broadway express, but then again there could be a lil bit of delays north of 145th and south of Dyicman due to switches

@SubwayGuy- wat does GT mean/stand forum?

GT = grade time, it's a signal that clears on time aka a "timer." GT 20 means the timers clear at 20mph (approx).

That (1) train is a disaster when school lets out. Sad thing is as a rookie, that is what I will see, along with the (6)<6> (now known as the other rookie line), alot. The (3) I will see in my dreams more than in reality, as that is a super senior line. I done rode with some operators on the (3) and (4) lines in the past few days, to get familiar with the lines, on my way to schoolcar in the morning........

GT = grade time, it's a signal that clears on time aka a "timer." GT 20 means the timers clear at 20mph (approx).

You mean it's SUPPOSED to clear. Come up to a GT20 at even 19 mph and you'll hit it 99 times out of 100.

Rule of thumb: do 5 mph less than posted speed.

You mean it's SUPPOSED to clear. Come up to a GT20 at even 19 mph and you'll hit it 99 times out of 100.

Rule of thumb: do 5 mph less than posted speed.

They tell us a good rule is to do half the speed, but some still don't clear even at that. Always have your train under control is my law. I do half, and if I get to a point where it is taking to long to clear, I will always stop........

Archived