LED ad sign on buses!

Eric B

Figured it would come eventually. All they have to do is put it on the roofline (on buses like the low floors, which have nore bulkhead space above the windows), and we have a whole new modern high-tech "batwing". LED signs are just as flat as the framed ads now.

Appears to be #1071 (on M23)

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/86063/mta-adds-video-ads-to-side-of-buses/Default.aspx

Figured it would come eventually. All they have to do is put it on the roofline (on buses like the low floors, which have nore bulkhead space above the windows), and we have a whole new modern high-tech "batwing". LED signs are just as flat as the framed ads now.

Appears to be #1071 (on M23)

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/86063/mta-adds-video-ads-to-side-of-buses/Default.aspx

I heard about the MTA trying to do this before, and now its seems to have went through. Seems real cool. Can't wait to see one in person.

In a way, I'm amazed by how long this took, and how primitive the technology is. They've come much further than this in LED technology, with actual bendable paper-thin displays that would almost looks as if they were painted on a bus if used. They are also much brighter too.

There is a downside to this as well. I expect car accidents to be blamed on this as people get used to them. I can just imagine a taxi driver at the end of a long shift seeing trailer for the next Aliens Vs. Predator at the corner of his eye. -_-

I heard about the MTA trying to do this before, and now its seems to have went through. Seems real cool. Can't wait to see one in person.
They tried to do this before? I missed that one. But then I could have easily missed this one if my wife happened notto have the TV on NY1 at that particular time.

In a way, I'm amazed by how long this took, and how primitive the technology is. They've come much further than this in LED technology, with actual bendable paper-thin displays that would almost looks as if they were painted on a bus if used. They are also much brighter too.

That's actually OLED. They have an 11 inch TV in J&R's, and bigger ones testing in the labs, but it will be a while before they are that big and cheap enough for the MTA to use like that. I had suggested the FINDs on new trains use OLED, but the technology wasn't ready for that, so they are using conventional, though small sized, monochrome LED's.

That's actually OLED. They have an 11 inch TV in J&R's, and bigger ones testing in the labs, but it will be a while before they are that big and cheap enough for the MTA to use like that. I had suggested the FINDs on new trains use OLED, but the technology wasn't ready for that, so they are using conventional, though small sized, monochrome LED's.

I was under the impression that LCD and/or other screen technologies have reached this point as well. However, either way, OLED would be highly unadvisable for outdoor use. OLED is organically based, and the eventual decomposition of that component would be accelerated by exposure to the elements such as direct sunlight. I can see OLED happening if it were totally underwritten by VIACOM or Gannet with frequent replacement, but it's a bad investment for the MTA.

Yeah, well I never really envisioned OLED for outdoor applications. I had suggested it for the FINDs, which are inside. Outside, the LED's do fine. For real closeup signs, they tried the RGB LED's on the subway entrances, but the pitch was too wide, so they changed them to the current LCD's. Those are apparently fine for that application.

Outside OLED would be good for as you mentioned, paper thin displays that would just be pasted onto the outside like the current paper ads, and would be removed quickly and easily as well. Something like that wmight be good to change the color of the stripe as well, to either match the route or former PBL color, or whatever. (There will also be nonlit "e-paper" technology that could be used for that as well).

Archived