Why was the C train cut back to Euclid Ave from Rockaway Park in 1992?

train fanatic 12

Why did the MTA stop the C train from going to Rockaway Park in 1992? What was the C rush hour replacement going to Rockaway Park?

The (C) was cut back to Euclid Av for the (A) express to serve Rockaway Park rather than the (C) local. Plus, the route was too long as a local.

What year did the Rush Hour A started going to Rockaway Park?

Same time the (C) was cut back.

The (C) was cut back to Euclid Av for the (A) express to serve Rockaway Park rather than the (C) local. Plus, the route was too long as a local.

I also heard on Straphanger website that the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-C.svg.pngwas cut back from Rockaway Park because it lacked rolling stock to be taken out in the Rockaway's. R30s were being scrapped was this also another reason for cut back. 

And now the fact that the Rockaways has power issues, the R160's on the (C) can't get to Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St or Far Rockaway without the train smoking up by the time it gets to Broad Channel.

1) LIPA/PSE&G fixed that problem.

2) I don't know where you get this idea the NTTs will be burning out by running in the Rockaways. If anything, the train would simply stall due to a lack of power.

1) LIPA/PSE&G fixed that problem.

2) I don't know where you get this idea the NTTs will be burning out by running in the Rockaways. If anything, the train would simply stall due to a lack of power.

Someone reported that a R160 (C) was sent out to the Rockaways and had to get taken OOS because it caused a smoke condition at Aqueduct. Since then people have run with it...

He's right. It actually did happened

Someone reported that a R160 (C) was sent out to the Rockaways and had to get taken OOS because it caused a smoke condition at Aqueduct. Since then people have run with it...

Whatever occurred was probably a separate issue caused by other factors. The technology on these trains is a little more sophisticated than mom's old microwave oven, which might, in fact, smoke when a power surge occurred. 

Back in 1992 the <C> train ran from Bedford Park Blvd to Rockaway Park in rush hours. As Lance mentioned the route was too long. If you were to ride the train end to end the trip will take almost 2 hours one way. Shorting the route to Euclid Avenue it took off roughly 30 minutes of the trip.

When was this? Was it when (C) trains were diverted to Howard Beach-JFK Airport or was it just a test run? The MTA already knew sending a 10-car set of R160's to the Rockaways was going to fail. If R68A's are able to run that much distance to Far Rockaway, then why can't R160's?

Back in 1992 the <C> train ran from Bedford Park Blvd to Rockaway Park in rush hours. As Lance mentioned the route was too long. If you were to ride the train end to end the trip will take almost 2 hours one way. Shorting the route to Euclid Avenue it took off roughly 30 minutes of the trip.

Back when it was the <CC>, it was known as the "Concourse Creeper"...

When was this? Was it when (C) trains were diverted to Howard Beach-JFK Airport or was it just a test run? The MTA already knew sending a 10-car set of R160's to the Rockaways was going to fail. If R68A's are able to run that much distance to Far Rockaway, then why can't R160's?

I think the R160's requires a higher voltages to run and the tracks in Rockaway are unable to supply them with the necessary power. I'm pretty sure if the R143's or even the R142's can't touch the Rockaways either.

Ahem, R188's go to the Rockaways for testing if you forgot about that...

I have seen it sometimes last year over Broad Channel test track. I do remember one time when the (A) was going to pick up speed after crossing the bridge onto Broad Channel going towards the Rockaways, the R188 was accelerating, so my train had a race with the R188.

Archived