Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
JubaionBx12+SBS

M1 and M101/102/103 win Schleppie Award for 2015; 68% increase in honorable mentions

It still bothers me as to why they don't do these tests during the rush hour, when service really matters.....

• Upvote 4

It still bothers me as to why they don't do these tests during the rush hour, when service really matters.....

For the wait assessment, the data they use for the Schleppies, rush hour service is counted in. No one should care about the Pokey nonsense at this point. 

For the wait assessment, the data they use for the Schleppies, rush hour service is counted in. No one should care about the Pokey nonsense at this point. 

That's not really true.

Over the years, they've done all of these awards and tests during the off-peak and midday hours. Last year, both of their awards were given based on off-peak and midday hours, same for the year before. The M79 got the pokey award based on one trip during the midday hours. The M15 got the shleppie award based on midday trips.

Edited by Cait Sith

That's not really true.

Over the years, they've done all of these awards and tests during the off-peak and midday hours. Last year, both of their awards were given based on off-peak and midday hours, same for the year before. The M79 got the pokey award based on one trip during the midday hours. The M15 got the shleppie award based on midday trips.

You're mistaken about the Schleppie, the Schleppie awards are based on the MTA's own wait assessment data for the busiest NYCT routes. Unlike the Pokey, Straphangers does not come up with the data themselves. The MTA's wait assessment figures do include rush hour service. The MTA's wait assessments are based on Bus Time data.

Wait Assessment is measured on weekdays. It is defined as the percentage of observed service intervals that are no more than the scheduled interval plus 3 minutes during peak (7 a.m. – 9 a.m., 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.) and plus 5 during off-peak (12 a.m – 7 a.m., 9 a.m. – 4 p.m, 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.) The results presented are for a sample of 42 high-volume bus routes (which includes nine associated limited-stop service and four select bus service routes)

Here's the MTA's data for 1st half of 2015, on page 284. (The explanation I quoted is on page 280)

The MTA releases wait assessment data for the busiest NYCT routes every 6 months. They might have done it differently in the past, but now Straphangers just looks through the MTA's data and gives a Schleppie to any route with a wait assessment/reliability of 80% or less. (Or as Straphangers frames it, unreliability of 20% or more) For the first half of 2015, the M1 and M101/M102/M103 "won" with a reliability of only 63% (unreliability of 37%), which was the worst of all the routes that were included. It's amazing how practically all the Manhattan routes are seeing drastic reductions in reliability. Seriously, this is why we need congestion pricing.

Also, the general decrease in reliability (in all boroughs) is why the number of Schleppies awarded increased from 19 last period to 32 now. 

Edited by Mysterious2train
  • Upvote 2

I just thought about something, Bus time data could be used to give these awards with accuracy based on time of day, day of the week, slowest day of whichever months, slowest day of the year, etc

The incredibly long line for the M66 really amazes me. People will wait 10 minutes in a line that goes halfway down the block. I've easily beaten that bus by walking many, many times. 

The incredibly long line for the M66 really amazes me. People will wait 10 minutes in a line that goes halfway down the block. I've easily beaten that bus by walking many, many times. 

LOL... I've seen nice long lines for the M66 while on the BxM1 and BxM2.  I rarely have a need for the M66, and the few times that I have, I've usually just walked.  Here and there on weekends, I have actually let a few buses go by to get an emptier one.  Those M66 buses really do fill up.  I think I needed to from Broadway over to the East Side, otherwise I would've just walked.

The M1?  Not so much....  M101/102/103?  Definitely.

The M1 is incredibly unreliable.  I needed it last night to get to a meeting uptown.  I actually lucked out and got an M1 local but got off of that one as there was an M4 limited behind it.  I took that so far and just walked the rest of the way.  In addition to the slow buses along Madison and 5th, they are incredibly crowded.  I hadn't used the Madison Avenue bus in a while, and boy were they packed.  It would be SO much better if they added artics here and there.  Those buses are just way too small and the way they are laid out makes it difficult to stand anywhere without being in the way and having people bang into you.

You're mistaken about the Schleppie, the Schleppie awards are based on the MTA's own wait assessment data for the busiest NYCT routes. Unlike the Pokey, Straphangers does not come up with the data themselves. The MTA's wait assessment figures do include rush hour service. The MTA's wait assessments are based on Bus Time data.

Here's the MTA's data for 1st half of 2015, on page 284. (The explanation I quoted is on page 280)

The MTA releases wait assessment data for the busiest NYCT routes every 6 months. They might have done it differently in the past, but now Straphangers just looks through the MTA's data and gives a Schleppie to any route with a wait assessment/reliability of 80% or less. (Or as Straphangers frames it, unreliability of 20% or more) For the first half of 2015, the M1 and M101/M102/M103 "won" with a reliability of only 63% (unreliability of 37%), which was the worst of all the routes that were included. It's amazing how practically all the Manhattan routes are seeing drastic reductions in reliability. Seriously, this is why we need congestion pricing.

Also, the general decrease in reliability (in all boroughs) is why the number of Schleppies awarded increased from 19 last period to 32 now. 

Thanks for that.

I don't know, I hardly believe a word they say as it is. They'll give all of these "awards" without providing any tips to make service better.

Thanks for that.

I don't know, I hardly believe a word they say as it is. They'll give all of these "awards" without providing any tips to make service better.

Just make it a SBS line, that's the cure for everything these days!

I actually proposed they make the M101/102/103 SBS in another thread. Having just got off the M15 after opting for it against the M101 which would've taken almost 20 minutes to reach me, I still strongly believe that something needs to be done about that whole 3rd Ave/Lexington situation and I think SBS would actually work out there. 

The M1 is incredibly unreliable.  I needed it last night to get to a meeting uptown.  I actually lucked out and got an M1 local but got off of that one as there was an M4 limited behind it.  I took that so far and just walked the rest of the way.  In addition to the slow buses along Madison and 5th, they are incredibly crowded.  I hadn't used the Madison Avenue bus in a while, and boy were they packed.  It would be SO much better if they added artics here and there.  Those buses are just way too small and the way they are laid out makes it difficult to stand anywhere without being in the way and having people bang into you.

I'm inclined to agree here. They really shouldn't use those Orions on routes that get crowded during rush hour. They're very narrow on the inside and make for terrible crowding conditions. The best solution is to run nothing but artics during the rush, and revert back to Orions when it's over.

I actually proposed they make the M101/102/103 SBS in another thread. Having just got off the M15 after opting for it against the M101 which would've taken almost 20 minutes to reach me, I still strongly believe that something needs to be done about that whole 3rd Ave/Lexington situation and I think SBS would actually work out there. 

I'm inclined to agree here. They really shouldn't use those Orions on routes that get crowded during rush hour. They're very narrow on the inside and make for terrible crowding conditions. The best solution is to run nothing but artics during the rush, and revert back to Orions when it's over.

• Upvote 1

Problem is, there is not enough artics for that.

Problem is, there is not enough artics for that.

You don't need artics for all trips, but you can put in some here and there where possible.  Given the amount of bunching that occurs on lines and how they're unable to meet the schedule, that would make things MUCH better.

.....They'll give all of these "awards" without providing any tips to make service better.

This is where I agree w/ Gotham Bus' professional complainers remark regarding their organization.... I never cared for how they try to "professionalize" what can be accomplished on any transit forum or blog.... Way I see it, make your posts/musings about your commute & keep it pushing.... They act like they care about straphangers' (riders') commutes by providing (well, having provided) a place for folks to....

...vent.

I think this (along with the Pokey) is a DUMB award. Why? Buses won't be so delayed if people who PAY ATTENTION (whether it's paying the fare or not parking at bus stops) I also find it funny how they expect buses to be on time...in MANHATTAN...the "Tourism Borough"...lots of cabs...lots of celebrities.

The way I see it, this is just another way of getting the Straphangers Campaign some TV time.

Problem with artics is that none of the depots that run those lines have artics.

MCH runs M1 but, only artics that come out of there are SBS.

They could probably have a few trippers that come out of 100st or Quill

The M 101 102 and 103 are too long to begin with. That's the main problem with those lines.

• Upvote 1