B9 daytime service to Kings Plaza

BlazingCyndaquil155

You do realize that the Q35 is a MTA Bus route, which means it has a totally different funding source. That's not even ignoring that fact that it's another way for the Far Rockaway residents to get to a subway. Residents who by the way have some of the shittiest commutes in the city. My god, please take some time to learn the system before making some of these asinine statements.

I know the system pretty f***ing well after being a transit fan for 6+ years, thank you very motherf***ing much.

P.S. At least Rockaway residents have a train in their hood  :angry:  (Breezy Point not withstanding)

I know the system pretty f***ing well after being a transit fan for 6+ years, thank you very motherf***ing much.

P.S. At least Rockaway residents have a train in their hood  :angry:  (Breezy Point not withstanding)

Oh great we have another one... <_<

How many times to we have to tell you new members to cut out the personal attacks?

P.S. At least Rockaway residents have a train in their hood :angry: (Breezy Point not withstanding)

6 years...LMAOOOOO

And you're right, Rockaway residents DO have a train...until the bridge gets stuck open (which happens at least once a week) and they have no way of getting off the Peninsula

Oh great we have another one... <_<

How many times to we have to tell you new members to cut out the personal attacks?

It wasn't a personal attack. He came at me in a rude way, and unlike other people. I don't f**k with that bulls**t. Please don't associate me with those annoying no-life troll f*ggots :angry:

6 years...LMAOOOOO

And you're right, Rockaway residents DO have a train...until the bridge gets stuck open (which happens at least once a week) and they have no way of getting off the Peninsula

Ouch, that must suck... so their only method is to take the Q22-Q35-2/5 train or use the 113, i assume?

And i'm only 14, so 6+ years is quite a lot...

If you think I was rude then you might have too thin a skin for the forums.

You may know the system well enough to get around but you don't know the "innards" of the system.....the background of why the system is set up the way it is.

At 14 I guess I shouldn't expect you to but if you want people to to take you seriously in here then you need to get some kind of understanding of it.

Just because they have the A doesn't mean that its the most convenient way to get out to Far Rock, some people have a preference on the Q35 to the 2/3 and for some that connection is a way of life. Not withstanding the the overnight Q35 is a lifeline for the western end of the Rockaway's. You just can't screw them out of a service that is needed to start one that may or may not have good ridership potential. That is my biggest bone with people......stop advocated screwing over other people's commute to suit you own!

And as far as you not living near the subway......you are learning a life lesson young. Pick where you live carefully. This is another one of my pet peeves, people think transit should pop up right at their front door just because. Transit is never gonna 100% cover any area, you want good transit then you live where good transit is. You live on the outskirts of it then you have to eat the disadvatages of that cboice.

The B71 cuts were completely unjustified. It's ridership was actually fairly strong considering it's length, and it performed significantly better than routes such as the B32, B84, Bx46, and M12, that serve these "growing" neighborhoods.

The B71 had two buses assigned to it for most of the day (a third bus was used for part of the AM rush hour). It managed to get 1,080 weekday riders and 1,210 weekend riders. http://transitdocs.com/files/data/nycb/2010Book.pdf

Compare that to the B32, B84, and Bx46, which all get around half the ridership of the old B71, while using the same amount of resources. And don't even get me started on the M12. http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm

Aside from that, ridership was growing. From 2004-2009, weekday ridership grew 29.4%, and weekend ridership grew 35.4%. They cut down a route in its prime! (Which was serving "growing neighborhoods" to boot)

And as far as you not living near the subway......you are learning a life lesson young. Pick where you live carefully. This is another one of my pet peeves, people think transit should pop up right at their front door just because. Transit is never gonna 100% cover any area, you want good transit then you live where good transit is. You live on the outskirts of it then you have to eat the disadvatages of that cboice.

The B71 ran from Crown Heights to Cobble Hill. Definitely not "outskirt" neighborhoods.

Ahh yes the classic B23. As much I want to see that route be reinstated, I dunno. The route was ok, but not enough riders were on it. But I believe that route should be reinstated.

This is the problem with some transit advocates. They just get lazy and say "bring everything back", not looking for ways to improve ridership and efficiency.

The B23 should be restructured to supplement the B8 east of Nostrand Avenue. Under my plan, buses would continue down Flatbush Avenue to Avenue D, take Avenue D to Ditmas Avenue, Ditmas to Remsen (serving Canarsie Plaza), and then take Foster Avenue to Rockaway Parkway and terminate at the (L) station. 

Maybe the B71 could be restored if resources weren't going to making the Q35 run every 30 minutes in the middle of the night.

Even if they were funded by the same source (which as others have said, they're not), I'm going to school you on how they come up with the costs.

The Q35 uses two buses to operate every 30 minutes. (Meaning, that between 1AM and 5AM, there's two physical buses that have "Q35" on their destination sign). If you cut service to once an hour, you would save the cost of running one of those buses. And you'd only save a few hours worth of operating costs.

The B71 used two buses for the whole entire day. So between 7AM and 9AM, you had 2 buses with "B71" on their destination sign.

Cutting the Q35 to once an hour saves the cost of one bus running for around 4 hours. Cutting the B71 for the whole day saves the cost of running two buses for 14 hours. Would cutting back on the Q35 save enough money to restore the B71? The answer is a resounding NO.

It wasn't a personal attack. He came at me in a rude way, and unlike other people. I don't f**k with that bulls**t. Please don't associate me with those annoying no-life troll f*ggots :angry:

Ouch, that must suck... so their only method is to take the Q22-Q35-2/5 train or use the 113, i assume?

And i'm only 14, so 6+ years is quite a lot...

Ok kid, first, ease up on the insults. No need to be dropping f-bombs, you'll see the banhammer faster than you can catch the Q35 overnights. (lol)

Second, if you're going from the Rockaways to Brooklyn, then the Q133/114 will be of no use and a complete backdoor roundabout way of getting there. The Q52/53 is bursting at the seams and doesn't help people who live west of B. 116 St. The Q22 is a joke within its own right and acts like a Rockaways crosstown.

...withstanding the the overnight Q35 is a lifeline for the western end of the Rockaway's. 

The Q35 cannot be discontinued overnights... then how will people get across to Brooklyn?

And yep, I can TOTALLY choose where I live when I'm only 14! (Sarcasm intended)

They don't run B9's to Kings Plz. late nights b/c Kings plz. itself is closed.....

(the B41 & B46 run there for not much more than a convenient turnaround, late nights)

I'd argue late night B9's shouldn't even run to Flatbush- They should stop dead at Nostrand.

Anyway, cutting daytime trips from Kings Plz. to Flatbush/Av. L is great - if you want even more crowded buses at Kings Plaza (and/or more crowded B41's)! The usage the route gets there has always been underrated (and there a couple of reasons why this is, including being utilized as an alternative to the B41 & the B9 being notoriously late coming from the Bay Ridge end)....

I'll close out with this:

Cut daytime trips to Kings Plaza & you will watch overall service levels decrease on the route..... I honestly believe it terminating at the mall is that important to the route.....

They don't run B9's to Kings Plz. late nights b/c Kings plz. itself is closed.....

(the B41 & B46 run there for not much more than a convenient turnaround, late nights)

I'd argue late night B9's shouldn't even run to Flatbush- They should stop dead at Nostrand.

Anyway, cutting daytime trips from Kings Plz. to Flatbush/Av. L is great - if you want even more crowded buses at Kings Plaza (and/or more crowded B41's)! The usage the route gets there has always been underrated (and there a couple of reasons why this is, including being utilized as an alternative to the B41 & the B9 being notoriously late coming from the Bay Ridge end)....

I'll close out with this:

Cut daytime trips to Kings Plaza & you will watch overall service levels decrease on the route..... I honestly believe it terminating at the mall is that important to the route.....

When I lived in Midwood, I specifically used the B2 and B9 to Kings Plaza to avoid routes like the B41.  The B9 is a far more civilized and quiet ride.  In any event, folks in Midwood, Marine Park, etc. had already started avoiding that mall back then years ago, and cutting the B9 back would most certainly not help it as it would give people another excuse not to head that way.  All of the people in nearby areas like Gerritsen Beach long ditched that mall and go to the SI Mall or out in Jersey like I do.

Late night B9's have to go to Flatbush, for connection to the B7/B41/B82/Q35...

When I lived in Midwood, I specifically used the B2 and B9 to Kings Plaza to avoid routes like the B41.  The B9 is a far more civilized and quiet ride.  In any event, folks in Midwood, Marine Park, etc. had already started avoiding that mall back then years ago, and cutting the B9 back would most certainly not help it as it would give people another excuse not to head that way.  All of the people in nearby areas like Gerritsen Beach long ditched that mall and go to the SI Mall or out in Jersey like I do.

Why would they avoid Kings Plaza? It's not too ghetto there... It's in Mill Basin for God's sake.

Late night B9's have to go to Flatbush, for connection to the B7/B41/B82/Q35...

Why would they avoid Kings Plaza? It's not too ghetto there... It's in Mill Basin for God's sake.

lol... You've clearly been out to lunch... That part of "Mill Basin" is changing and has been for YEARS and not for the better.  All of my friends who still lived in Brooklyn (i.e. Gerritsen Beach, Marine Park, etc.) ditched Kings Plaza and started going elsewhere YEARS ago, and I haven't been there since I moved from Midwood, which was YEARS ago.  That's part of Old Mill Basin.  The real "Mill Basin" (below Avenue U where Mill Avenue runs) does not include Kings Plaza.  It is all residential and safe because it's very expensive and isolated (think Manhattan Beach by Sheepshead Bay where the homes are a 800k to a million and up), so nobody is leaving from there... Some of my buddies used to hang out down there and Mill Basin and I would go down there back in the day, so I'm very familiar with the areas in question...  As long as Bergen Beach is ok, then Mill Basin should be ok, because Bergen Beach is similar to Mill Basin (expensive and isolated with similar demographics), but Old Mill Basin has been changing since I was in high school.

lol... You've clearly been out to lunch... That part of "Mill Basin" is changing and has been for YEARS and not for the better.  All of my friends who still lived in Brooklyn (i.e. Gerritsen Beach, Marine Park, etc.) ditched Kings Plaza and started going elsewhere YEARS ago, and I haven't been there since I moved from Midwood, which was YEARS ago.  That's part of Old Mill Basin.  The real "Mill Basin" (below Avenue U where Mill Avenue runs) does not include Kings Plaza.  It is all residential and safe because it's very expensive and isolated (think Manhattan Beach by Sheepshead Bay where the homes are a 800k to a million and up), so nobody is leaving from there... Some of my buddies used to hang out down there and Mill Basin and I would go down there back in the day, so I'm very familiar with the areas in question...  As long as Bergen Beach is ok, then Mill Basin should be ok, because Bergen Beach is similar to Mill Basin (expensive and isolated with similar demographics), but Old Mill Basin has been changing since I was in high school.

What's wrong with those surrounding areas (Flatlands/Marine Park)?

What's wrong with those surrounding areas (Flatlands/Marine Park)?

Marine Park is fine.  Growing up I had a friend that lived there.  Solid middle class neighborhood and it's still safe overall with not too many changes.  I only spoke about Old Mill Basin and its decline.  Flatlands was on the decline years ago.  I'm originally from South Brooklyn and we (as in my friends and I) just knew growing up that certain areas were no-nos.  You just didn't go there.  In any event, if you wanted to deter the few civilized folks that actually come from areas near the B9 and go to Kings Plaza, you could accomplish that in part by cutting the B9 back from there, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.  Lots of Jews wouldn't care for that particularly in my old area of Midwood, which is heavily Jewish.

This topic should be locked...

This comment should be deleted...

Marine Park is fine.  Growing up I had a friend that lived there.  Solid middle class neighborhood and it's still safe overall with not too many changes.  I only spoke about Old Mill Basin and its decline.  Flatlands was on the decline years ago.  I'm originally from South Brooklyn and we (as in my friends and I) just knew growing up that certain areas were no-nos.  You just didn't go there.  In any event, if you wanted to deter the few civilized folks that actually come from areas near the B9 and go to Kings Plaza, you could accomplish that in part by cutting the B9 back from there, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.  Lots of Jews wouldn't care for that particularly in my old area of Midwood, which is heavily Jewish.

What part of Flatlands/Old Mill Basin is bad?

This comment should be deleted...

What part of Flatlands/Old Mill Basin is bad?

No, little boy. Your stupid idea of eliminating off peak service to KP on the B9 has run its course. Then you go off topic talking about the B71 and the Q35

No, little boy. Your stupid idea of eliminating off peak service to KP on the B9 has run its course. Then you go off topic talking about the B71 and the Q35

If you're going to call my ideas stupid, then please use the right "your/you're".

And if you're tryin' to talk shitt, then get in my inbox and let's go.

If you're going to call my ideas stupid, then please use the right "your/you're".

And if you're tryin' to talk shitt, then get in my inbox and let's go.

Sorry I have better things to do than argue with you. Have a nice day

No, little boy. Your stupid idea of eliminating off peak service to KP on the B9 has run its course.

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but Q43LTD DID use the right word there... "Your" is correct in that sentence as the subject he was referring to was your idea.

Archived