B9 daytime service to Kings Plaza

BlazingCyndaquil155

Late night B9's have to go to Flatbush, for connection to the B7/B41/B82/Q35...

By that logic, they have to run to Kings Plaza for connection to the B3 & the B47....

Marine Park is fine.  Growing up I had a friend that lived there.  Solid middle class neighborhood and it's still safe overall with not too many changes.  I only spoke about Old Mill Basin and its decline.  Flatlands was on the decline years ago.  I'm originally from South Brooklyn and we (as in my friends and I) just knew growing up that certain areas were no-nos.  You just didn't go there.  In any event, if you wanted to deter the few civilized folks that actually come from areas near the B9 and go to Kings Plaza, you could accomplish that in part by cutting the B9 back from there, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.  Lots of Jews wouldn't care for that particularly in my old area of Midwood, which is heavily Jewish.

Schoolkids wouldn't be too fond of that either (cutting B9's back)..... Quiet is as kept, there are a significant amt. of kids coming off other buses to take the 9 to get to all the damn schools that route passes by.... Lol.....

As far as the Jewish usage on the route, I seldom see them utilize the route along Flatbush.... You start to notice them (coincidentally enough) at the Flatbush/Av. L stop......

As far as the Jewish usage on the route, I seldom see them utilize the route along Flatbush.... You start to notice them (coincidentally enough) at the Flatbush/Av. L stop......

Agree.If tomorrow they cut the B9 to Flatbush and Av L ,it wouldn't change a thing about its usage.It would still be packed to the gills on 60 Street especially when the (N) gets cut.

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but Q43LTD DID use the right word there... "Your" is correct in that sentence as the subject he was referring to was your idea.

Dang, I just realized. My bad, I guess my head was too high in the clouds (about the "little boy" thing)

By that logic, they have to run to Kings Plaza for connection to the B3 & the B47...

Touche...

Ok. We can settle on this: the B9 should operate at all times between Bay Ridge-Shore Rd and Flatbush Av/Av L and all day extension to Kings Plaza (6am-11pm) when the mall opens. That's all.

Pretty much (especially since the B9 starts going to Kings Plaza about 9:00 AM on Sunday)

Schoolkids wouldn't be too fond of that either (cutting B9's back)..... Quiet is as kept, there are a significant amt. of kids coming off other buses to take the 9 to get to all the damn schools that route passes by.... Lol.....

Truth be told I always used the B9 at off hours so I didn't see any school kids and the Jews weren't necessarily predominant on the line but some did use it.  You did have some that would shop at Kings Plaza.

What part of Flatlands/Old Mill Basin is bad?

This depends on who you ask I guess, but unless you have a reason to go there, you don't go there. It's that simple.  I have passed through Flatlands, but never really went there per se.  Never had a reason to.  Like I said before it's no East New York, but it's no Marine Park either.  Both areas have seen better days.  With all neighborhoods, things change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Truth be told I always used the B9 at off hours so I didn't see any school kids and the Jews weren't necessarily predominant on the line but some did use it.  You did have some that would shop at Kings Plaza.

They only dominate that B110 for obvious reasons, they constituted for a good chunk of the old B23's usage also, but I'd say their usage on the B9 rivals that of the B11 & certainly more than that of the B16....

Far as the school kids, although there are certainly more rowdier/rambunctious/obnoxious bunch of brats on other routes, you aren't missing anything with them on the B9.... Mainly Jewish, Asian, and White kids.... Black ones tend to use the route b/w the Q & Kings Plz....

When I lived in Midwood, I specifically used the B2 and B9 to Kings Plaza to avoid routes like the B41.  The B9 is a far more civilized and quiet ride.  In any event, folks in Midwood, Marine Park, etc. had already started avoiding that mall back then years ago, and cutting the B9 back would most certainly not help it as it would give people another excuse not to head that way.  All of the people in nearby areas like Gerritsen Beach long ditched that mall and go to the SI Mall or out in Jersey like I do.

Believe it or not, ever since they've revamped Kings Plaza, they've started (slowly) going back there (residents that lie within CB18)..... There is this attitude that they've got their mall back, so to speak.... So much so that a couple months after the revamp happened, they got police to actually put up the blue wooden barricades to bar the dollar vans from driving down the side streets (the E. 50th) to get to Av U., to then drop riders off for the mall.... The idea is to deter and/or exacerbate the vans from infiltrating their area.... IDK if they still have those barricades up, as I have not been to Kings plaza in quite a while now.....

Who would have thought it took a kid falling over the railing from off the 2nd floor to get the place revamped....

NJ malls in general are seeing more NY patrons shopping at them.... Myself included.

The irony is, NJ patrons tend to come here (well, Manhattan namely) to shop....

lol... You've clearly been out to lunch... That part of "Mill Basin" is changing and has been for YEARS and not for the better.  All of my friends who still lived in Brooklyn (i.e. Gerritsen Beach, Marine Park, etc.) ditched Kings Plaza and started going elsewhere YEARS ago, and I haven't been there since I moved from Midwood, which was YEARS ago.  That's part of Old Mill Basin.  The real "Mill Basin" (below Avenue U where Mill Avenue runs) does not include Kings Plaza.  It is all residential and safe because it's very expensive and isolated (think Manhattan Beach by Sheepshead Bay where the homes are a 800k to a million and up), so nobody is leaving from there... Some of my buddies used to hang out down there and Mill Basin and I would go down there back in the day, so I'm very familiar with the areas in question...  As long as Bergen Beach is ok, then Mill Basin should be ok, because Bergen Beach is similar to Mill Basin (expensive and isolated with similar demographics), but Old Mill Basin has been changing since I was in high school.

Mill Island is the "real mill basin" you're referring to - There's an actual name for it...

The area outside Mill Island (Mill Basin, basically) has never been all that grand IMO.....

They only dominate that B110 for obvious reasons, they constituted for a good chunk of the old B23's usage also, but I'd say their usage on the B9 rivals that of the B11 & certainly more than that of the B16....

Far as the school kids, although there are certainly more rowdier/rambunctious/obnoxious bunch of brats on other routes, you aren't missing anything with them on the B9.... Mainly Jewish, Asian, and White kids.... Black ones tend to use the route b/w the Q & Kings Plz....

Interesting... Where do they use the B11 at?  My usage of the B11 wasn't all that high... Just here and there for short distances... I used the B6 to go to Bensonhurst on occasion to hang out with friends, but my stay in Midwood was not that long.  By the time I got back to the States, I was on Staten Island shortly after.

Believe it or not, ever since they've revamped Kings Plaza, they've started (slowly) going back there (residents that lie within CB18)..... There is this attitude that they've got their mall back, so to speak.... So much so that a couple months after the revamp happened, they got police to actually put up the blue wooden barricades to bar the dollar vans from driving down the side streets (the E. 50th) to get to Av U., to then drop riders off for the mall.... The idea is to deter and/or exacerbate the vans from infiltrating their area.... IDK if they still have those barricades up, as I have not been to Kings plaza in quite a while now.....

Who would have thought it took a kid falling over the railing from off the 2nd floor to get the place revamped....

NJ malls in general are seeing more NY patrons shopping at them.... Myself included.

Mill Island is the "real mill basin" you're referring to - There's an actual name for it...

The area outside Mill Island (Mill Basin, basically) has never been all that grand IMO.....

LOL@ Mill Island... I've never heard that used before... As for the revamp, yes, it seemed to improve a bit when they started with the renovation, but I always avoided certain parts of the mall and tried to go at times when it wouldn't be so rowdy.  After all the whole idea of going is to have some down time and relax.  I do the same thing when I go to the mall in NJ.  I try to avoid weekends because you have all of these obnoxious teens riding the express bus in NJ.  Weeknights however is a completely different vibe and you can get in and out quickly if you need to.

Interesting... Where do they use the B11 at?  My usage of the B11 wasn't all that high... Just here and there for short distances... I used the B6 to go to Bensonhurst on occasion to hang out with friends, but my stay in Midwood was not that long.  By the time I got back to the States, I was on Staten Island shortly after.

Along the 49th/50th st corridor; generally no further west than 8th av & no further east than Coney Island Av.

I walk to & use the B11 on occasion when I'm coming from this hobby shop I sometimes check out over by Ft. Hamilton Pkwy (D)

LOL@ Mill Island... I've never heard that used before...

As for the revamp, yes, it seemed to improve a bit when they started with the renovation, but I always avoided certain parts of the mall and tried to go at times when it wouldn't be so rowdy.  After all the whole idea of going is to have some down time and relax.  I do the same thing when I go to the mall in NJ.  I try to avoid weekends because you have all of these obnoxious teens riding the express bus in NJ.  Weeknights however is a completely different vibe and you can get in and out quickly if you need to.

Neither have I, before about 2 years or so ago (about Mill Island)...

Kings Plaza was never my cup of tea to begin with (I favored going downtown over it by a longshot - that is, before it got "Metrotech-ed").... As far as the selection (of stores) @ KP, the only, and I do mean the only thing that improved with the renovation was the addition of places to eat in there... Before it was just the McDonalds, Burger King, the cookie house (if you want to count that) and the Nathan's (which was shunned for YEARS due to the rodent problem it had)....

The funny thing about the Burger King (when there was one inside there) was that you still had mall-goers walking to the one by flatbush depot after shopping or w/e, then using the one inside the mall... I never knew the reason why that was.... But in any case, that burger king now (the one by the depot) has fallen off hard - So much so that they had to split the space with another chain (Popeyes) to stay afloat..... All that BK was relegated to was a hangout spot for teens....

Along the 49th/50th st corridor; generally no further west than 8th av & no further east than Coney Island Av.

I walk to & use the B11 on occasion when I'm coming from this hobby shop I sometimes check out over by Ft. Hamilton Pkwy (D)

Neither have I, before about 2 years or so ago (about Mill Island)...

Kings Plaza was never my cup of tea to begin with (I favored going downtown over it by a longshot - that is, before it got "Metrotech-ed").... As far as the selection (of stores) @ KP, the only, and I do mean the only thing that improved with the renovation was the addition of places to eat in there... Before it was just the McDonalds, Burger King, the cookie house (if you want to count that) and the Nathan's (which was shunned for YEARS due to the rodent problem it had)....

The funny thing about the Burger King (when there was one inside there) was that you still had mall-goers walking to the one by flatbush depot after shopping or w/e, then using the one inside the mall... I never knew the reason why that was.... But in any case, that burger king now (the one by the depot) has fallen off hard - So much so that they had to split the space with another chain (Popeyes) to stay afloat..... All that BK was relegated to was a hangout spot for teens....

And this isn't gonna change anytime soon because Kings Plaza and surrounding areas are probably on the tail-end of the gentrification clause, that is, if they're even on the tail at all... and what do you mean by "MetroTech-ed"?

And this isn't gonna change anytime soon because Kings Plaza and surrounding areas are probably on the tail-end of the gentrification clause, that is, if they're even on the tail at all... and what do you mean by "MetroTech-ed"?

What specifically are you referring to, regarding something not changing anytime soon?

Regardless, I don't see the area around Kings Plaza getting gentrified -  at all.... It offers much of nothing these incoming transients to NYC really want.....

As for your question..... I'll just shoot you a link, because right now, I don't feel like going into what I don't like about the "new" downtown brooklyn (which is what I'm referring to when I say "MetroTech-ed").....

Metrotech - the Downtown Brooklyn BID (Business Improvement District)

What specifically are you referring to, regarding something not changing anytime soon?

Regardless, I don't see the area around Kings Plaza getting gentrified -  at all.... It offers much of nothing these incoming transients to NYC really want.....

As for your question..... I'll just shoot you a link, because right now, I don't feel like going into what I don't like about the "new" downtown brooklyn (which is what I'm referring to when I say "MetroTech-ed").....

Metrotech - the Downtown Brooklyn BID (Business Improvement District)

what do incoming brooklynites want out of brooklyn? if they want fancy, tell their butts to stay/go at or in manhattan

I remember the burger king by the depot. It was quite the place decades ago when they had an arcade building next door (now a petco) and a kiddie amusement park with several rides like a roller coaster and some spinning cups, etc. after that it just kept shrinking to the point it is today sharing space with a popeyes.

wait, when did a kid fall off from the 2nd floor? The only news i heard of the mall was that 'flash rob' or whatever riot happened there as well as some white couple being attacked in their car and the best buy robbery via the waterway.

I remember the burger king by the depot. It was quite the place decades ago when they had an arcade building next door (now a petco) and a kiddie amusement park with several rides like a roller coaster and some spinning cups, etc. after that it just kept shrinking to the point it is today sharing space with a popeyes.

wait, when did a kid fall off from the 2nd floor? The only news i heard of the mall was that 'flash rob' or whatever riot happened there as well as some white couple being attacked in their car and the best buy robbery via the waterway.

- Too many fights (between parents & between kids) caused that arcade/mini amusement park to close down.... Straw that broke the camel's back so to speak, was a stabbing that took place......

- You're bringing up events (the both of them) that happened after that kid fell from the 2nd level..... I don't remember what year that was.....

My god. Didn't know there was a stabbing there. I was probably 6yrs old when i went there and when i moved to manhattan, i just for got about the place till i moved back to brooklyn and by then petco was either there or ready to be built.

As for the kid that fell, probably years earlier? I was under the impression it happened recently.

My god. Didn't know there was a stabbing there. I was probably 6yrs old when i went there and when i moved to manhattan, i just for got about the place till i moved back to brooklyn and by then petco was either there or ready to be built.

As for the kid that fell, probably years earlier? I was under the impression it happened recently.

Oh, Nah, it wasn't recent at all.... If I did, I certainly did not mean to give off that impression.

----

Alright, now I see where the confusion is...

Just texted a family member..... I did not know the mall is undergoing a second renovation ... I saw you bring up the flash mob & I'm like wait a minute, that happened like 2-3 years ago.... I was talking about the first renovation that took place in the early 2000's.... That was around the time that kid fell.... It was on the news & everything.... I don't have to tell you how much horseplaying that used to take place inside the mall (from kids cutting class, especially.... Lol)

I remembered two years ago, a whole bunch of teens TORE UP Kings Plaza Mall day after Christmas. It was so bad police got involved and permitted anyone under 18 to enter the Mall.

In Summer 2014, I saw a YouTube video of a bunch of girls fighting in front of the Children's Place section. Crazy.

Any mall is better than Kings Plaza.

Yeah, that was the stuff i was thinking of and lol, oh yeah the 18yr old restriction. Sigh and the people saying that was discriminatory. Well one the mall isn't a public place like a park and here wouldn't be a need for restrictions if people could behave themselves instead of unhinged savages. So given the last negative news about the place was the best buy robbery, i guess there isn't much to worry about the mall than overzealous mall cops saying you can't take pics inside the place. I mean not that i am saying the place is great, but not much in terms of decent malls in the city especially with how the manhattan mall has become a shell if itself shrinking to just two floors of retail and jcpennys on the bottom two with no food court. Shame too as i remember in 2000 the place was massive with 7 floors and two basement levels of stores. Just a sad decline of a once decent place. Although i did have a little case of vertigo staring down from the railing of the 7 floor.

Oh, Nah, it wasn't recent at all.... If I did, I certainly did not mean to give off that impression.

----

Alright, now I see where the confusion is...

Just texted a family member..... I did not know the mall is undergoing a second renovation ... I saw you bring up the flash mob & I'm like wait a minute, that happened like 2-3 years ago.... I was talking about the first renovation that took place in the early 2000's.... That was around the time that kid fell.... It was on the news & everything.... I don't have to tell you how much horseplaying that used to take place inside the mall (from kids cutting class, especially.... Lol)

another renovation? I last went there early this year and everything looked ok to me. I mean the mall is not that special, but at least it didn't look like a dump like i thought it was going to be. I went to the mall another time in maybe 2006? But i don't really remember what it was like then, but probably the first renovation you were talking about and had a theater, which was pretty runned down imo. I forgot what they converted it to, more stores?

Archived