B9 daytime service to Kings Plaza

BlazingCyndaquil155

The theater became a Best Buy IIRC

I remember that theater wayyyy back in the day when the Saturday night crowd came from Flatlands, Mill Basin, Marine Park and Canarsie to hang out. I saw " Jaws" there when it premiered, on a Friday night, Saturday night, and on Sunday afternoon with a different young lady each time. I remember seeing " Kentucky Fried Movie" there one Saturday night seated among an interracial audience surrounded with a cloud of what might have been an illegal herb. I bet the home theater room at Best Buy can't compare to that, LOL. Kings Plaza used to be a destination for people who weren't shoppers. I happened to pass by there one morning after Thanksgiving and it seemed to be pretty busy but that was before the school age crowd showed up. After seeing you guys mentioning renovation(s) I realized the mall is 45 years old or more. Perhaps BrooklynBus or someone else can help me out here because except for the Q35 I can't remember which bus routes served that area BEFORE the mall opened. IIRC there was an east-west route on Avenue U but the B46 only came as far south as Avenue N or the Flatbush Depot and the B41 turned eastward before Avenue U..  Carry on.

I think that te B41 to Bergen Beach should only run during rush hours and the B9 should only go to Kings Plaza on weekends, with the regular B9 service terminating in Bergen Beach at all times. A branch to Kings Plaza would run on weekends for the shoppers. That would greatly simplify B41 service and make many more direct two bus trips possible with a connection at Avenue N between the B46 and B9 instead smoeone from Utica Ave having to ride to Kings Plaza to transfer to the B9. It simplifies the routings with less indirect travel.

I remember that theater wayyyy back in the day when the Saturday night crowd came from Flatlands, Mill Basin, Marine Park and Canarsie to hang out. I saw " Jaws" there when it premiered, on a Friday night, Saturday night, and on Sunday afternoon with a different young lady each time. I remember seeing " Kentucky Fried Movie" there one Saturday night seated among an interracial audience surrounded with a cloud of what might have been an illegal herb. I bet the home theater room at Best Buy can't compare to that, LOL. Kings Plaza used to be a destination for people who weren't shoppers. I happened to pass by there one morning after Thanksgiving and it seemed to be pretty busy but that was before the school age crowd showed up. After seeing you guys mentioning renovation(s) I realized the mall is 45 years old or more. Perhaps BrooklynBus or someone else can help me out here because except for the Q35 I can't remember which bus routes served that area BEFORE the mall opened. IIRC there was an east-west route on Avenue U but the B46 only came as far south as Avenue N or the Flatbush Depot and the B41 turned eastward before Avenue U..  Carry on.

Before the mall opened the service was as follows. The B46 terminated at Avenue N. Between October '71 when I believe the mall opened an unumbered shuttle ran from Ave N to Kings Plaza for three years until the B46 was extended. The MTA claimed union issues prevented them from operating a direct B46 before then to Kings Plaza.

There also was a B3 branch that operated north on Flatbush and Utica and terminated at Avenue N when the B3 was run out of Flatbush depot. I believe that service was discontinued several years before the shuttle started, because if it still operated, a shuttle would not have been necessary.

There still were two branches of the B41. However, the so-called Avenue U ranch actually terminated md-block between Avenue T and Avenue U in the former trolley turnaround. (The B46 also used the former trolley turnaround to turn onto Avenue N. I believe it beame a used car lot.)

The B2 was unchanged and the Q35 was similar turning around on Glenwood Road. Of course there was no B9 with terminated at Flabush and Avenue L. The B78 (now B47) which began around 1966 terminated at Mill Avenue and Avenue U and was extended to East 54th Street when the mall opened five years later.

I hope that answers your questions.

So you're saying an area is "ghetto" just because it has some black people in it?

Let's get this straight, these areas have had black people since the early 2000s.

Those areas surrounding Kings Plaza have been on the decline since even before the early 2000s.  Late 1990s even.... They were just middle class areas at best and as the old guard dies out and moves away, they are being replaced by West Indians and other blacks.  There is nothing great about the areas (never was to begin with) and so while they aren't ghettos, they aren't great either, but yes, I too would think of them as extensions of the present day Canarsie, which is nothing to write home about.

Most of South Brooklyn is on the decline IMO (that includes my old neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach), mainly because the old housing stock is starting to show its age, and the new stuff being put up is absolute garbage (just walk through Sheepshead Bay and you'll see how over developed its becoming with overpriced poorly built "condos").  In addition to the old guard moving out and away (we got out in the late 1990s and most fled to Staten Island, New Jersey or areas like Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights), the areas have become quite dirty as well.   They were definitely MUCH better back in the old days.  When I pass by the old Lundy's on Emmons Avenue and see what has become of the building it's quite disturbing.  It's a prime example of how so many areas of South Brooklyn have seen better days. 

The only parts of South Brooklyn that are still holding on are the more expensive parts (most of Manhattan Beach, Bergen Beach (below Avenue U), parts of Dyker Heights, Mill Basin and Bay Ridge) and that's mainly because these areas were for the most part already upper middle class to begin with so those people aren't moving out and new comers have to have money to move in.  Gerritsen Beach could probably be included as not having changed much, but not because of it being expensive.  More so because of its isolation and families staying put, as it is a small close knit, family oriented area.  Marine Park is fine too (although not really part of Southern Brooklyn), but it has a high ownership to renter ratio and is fairly isolated in terms of transportation, so it too has held on.

I think that te B41 to Bergen Beach should only run during rush hours and the B9 should only go to Kings Plaza on weekends, with the regular B9 service terminating in Bergen Beach at all times. A branch to Kings Plaza would run on weekends for the shoppers. That would greatly simplify B41 service and make many more direct two bus trips possible with a connection at Avenue N between the B46 and B9 instead smoeone from Utica Ave having to ride to Kings Plaza to transfer to the B9. It simplifies the routings with less indirect travel.

The question is, would Avenue N riders find the Brighton Line more useful than the Nostrand Avenue Line? (Which I honestly don't know the answer to). 

I would like to hear your reasoning for having the B9 go to Bergen Beach?  While there aren't TONS of people using the B9 to go to Kings Plaza, there are certainly enough of them for it to run 7 days a week there.  You also have people going from points west of Midwood that shop at Kings Plaza.  I lived deep enough into Midwood to see this for myself when riding the B9 Along Avenue M and Avenue L.  In other words you would likely be doing more harm than good for B9.  The B41 I won't comment on since I never used it in Bergen Beach, but what I will say is that any buses running in Bergen Beach should not run below Avenue U. It would be a total waste and quite frankly the folks in Bergen Beach wouldn't use it and wouldn't want the bus running there.  It's isolate and the folks living there like it that way, which is why the B3 was cut back and terminates where it does.

Wait, so you'd (in your words) greatly simplify B41 service, but do the opposite for the B9?

I think having that done to the B9, riders will find more complicated than what the current B41 does.... All the B41 does, is branch out/diverge to serve Bergen Beach & Kings Plaza.... You are bringing up that the B9 have a different service pattern(s) on weekends than weekdays.... This isn't like the Bx5 for example where running up to Bay Plaza on weekends is an extension from its weekday terminal (Pelham Bay Park) - You are talking about a diversion to Kings Plaza as a compromise on weekends....

Where do you plan on ending all those off peak Bergen Beach trips anyway? Kings Plaza? Or would you utilize some of those physical buses on other flatbush routes? Or something else......

The question is, would Avenue N riders find the Brighton Line more useful than the Nostrand Avenue Line? (Which I honestly don't know the answer to). 

That area of Brooklyn (Georgetown/ Flatlands) seems to (want to) flock to the IRT.... Anything else, they use the BM1 for.... It's Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, and Marine Park that clamor for the Brighton.....

I would like to hear your reasoning for having the B9 go to Bergen Beach?  While there aren't TONS of people using the B9 to go to Kings Plaza, there are certainly enough of them for it to run 7 days a week there.  You also have people going from points west of Midwood that shop at Kings Plaza.  I lived deep enough into Midwood to see this for myself when riding the B9 Along Avenue M and Avenue L.  In other words you would likely be doing more harm than good for B9.  The B41 I won't comment on since I never used it in Bergen Beach, but what I will say is that any buses running in Bergen Beach should not run below Avenue U. It would be a total waste and quite frankly the folks in Bergen Beach wouldn't use it and wouldn't want the bus running there.  It's isolate and the folks living there like it that way, which is why the B3 was cut back and terminates where it does.

Nailed it... You saved me about a paragraph or two by mentioning this.

His plan would force many riders from the west (of flatbush) to taking B2's or B3's (more likely) to get there.... I'm not trying to be funny, but B9 commuters/riders won't be too fond of xferring to the 41 to get to Kings Plaza, en masse.... Aside from demographics, it would exacerbate current travel patterns for the sake of having a grid layout in the area..... I do not think running B9's to Bergen Beach would be worth it in the slightest....

That area of Brooklyn (Georgetown/ Flatlands) seems to (want to) flock to the IRT.... Anything else, they use the BM1 for.... It's Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, and Marine Park that clamor for the Brighton.....

You must remember that Marine Park residents live closer to the BMT, and eastern Flatlands residents live closer to the (L)... but as a person from Flatlands (Old Mill Basin?) who must take the (2) or (5) I can confirm this...

But - shh - don't tell anyone - I once decided to take the B9 to the (Q)... I did notice a weird pattern though. With the IRT, generally the bus ride ( :bus_bullet_b41: or Q35 - where are the Queens bus emojis -) is quite crowded and in the train I almost always get a seat. With the BMT, the bus ride (B9) is nice and quiet while the train there is crowded, beyond freaking belief.

Archived