L Train Service Between Brooklyn & Manhattan May Be Shut Down For Years

RollOver

I agree with (MTA) video that increase M14 bus service between 1st & 8th Avs; and maybe B39 bus should run  20 minutes during (L) work. Have extra M14 bus begin at 18th St/West St, following regular M14 route to Avenue C, onto Marginal St, serve 34th St Pier, then turn U-turn at 35th St, turn right at 34th St, turn left at 2nd Av, turn left at 23rd St, turn right at FDR Drive Service Rd, onto Avenue C, then regular route at 14th St.

I also agree with (J( frequency and extend weekdend (M) to Queens Plaza (where vintage trains terminate.

I also agree with (MTA) and they should work with NY Waterway and have ferry cross honor MetroCard and operates between Schaefellar Landing or North 6th St with free shuttle bus from Bedford Av and East 34th St Pier.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck does the (R) have to do with the (L) shutting Dow

The (R) (and as I would do it the (N) / (W) ) relates this way:

With the (G) if it goes to at least Queens Plaza, the (R) helps in that those looking for upper Midtown offices (which there are plenty between 57th and 60th and 3rd to 8th Avenue for example) and also makes it so those looking for Union Square can do it with one transfer from the (G) instead of possibly two or having to walk over or take the M14.  If there happens to be an issue with the (R), you can walk over to Queensboro Plaza and get the (N) or (W) for the same stops.  Anyone looking to head uptown once in Manhattan on the east side also has an easier time with the (R) since the transfer to the (4)(5) and (6) is at 59th Street, which probably will be less of a zoo than trying to do the same transfer from the (E) or (M) at 53rd/Lex to the (6).  

The (R) also likely is less crowded than the (E) or (M) will be since it doesn't stop at Court Square.  

As said, with many people who do work in the many high-rises on the UES (and that doesn't even factor in those doing construction on even more new high-rises coming on line in the next few years), that was one reason why (coupled with what I think will be heavier SAS ridership) I actually thought of the idea of having the split M/T (with the (T) to 96/2) already in place well ahead of the (L) shutdown.  It may not be the office districts in Manhattan, but it is an extremely busy residential area and many of those work on the UES may very well reside along the current J/M routes.  Yes, displaced (L) riders do come first, but I also do think this will work better even if it seems complicated to some.

Wallyhorse, your proposals are straight messy, you have to think practically! Not what service diversions would be fun for you to see happen.

As said, it's not what service diversions are "fun."  It's what I think actually WILL work.

I think Court Square is going to backfire miserably, plus create a lot of strain on the (7) because of the growing residential area at Vernon-Jackson Avenues (two stops after Court Square and the last stop in Queens) that is only going to become bigger as time moves on.  That is why I do it with encouragement to take the (G) the other way to either Broadway and the (J)(M)(Z) via a new OOS transfer OR to EITHER Fulton and an OOS transfer to the 2/3/4/5/B/D/N/Q/R at Atlantic-Barclays OR the (A)(C) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn to reduce the number of those going to Court Square wherever possible and do a lot of the other stuff.

As said, with many people who do work in the many high-rises on the UES (and that doesn't even factor in those doing construction on even more new high-rises coming on line in the next few years), that was one reason why (coupled with what I think will be heavier SAS ridership) I actually thought of the idea of having the split M/T (with the (T) to 96/2) already in place well ahead of the (L) shutdown.  It may not be the office districts in Manhattan, but it is an extremely busy residential area and many of those work on the UES may very well reside along the current J/M routes.

For those who can comfortably make it to the (J) or (M):

(J)(Q) at Canal Street

(J)(4)(5)(6) at Chambers Street

(M)(6) at 53 Street/Lexington Avenue

For those who can use the (G):

(G)(E)(M) at Court Square ⟶ (6) at 53 Street/Lexington Avenue

(G)(7) at Court Square ⟶ (4)(5)(6) at Grand Central–42 Street

(G)(7) at Court Square ⟶ (Q) at Times Square–42 Street

For those who can comfortably make it to the (J) or (M):

(J) ⟶ Q at Canal Street

(J) ⟶ 4/5/6 at Chambers Street

(M) ⟶ 6 at 53 Street/Lexington Avenue

For those who can use the (G):

(G) ⟶ E/M at Court Square ⟶ 6 at 53 Street/Lexington Avenue

(G) ⟶ 7 at Court Square ⟶ 4/5/6 at Grand Central–42 Street

(G) ⟶ 7 at Court Square ⟶ Q at Times Square–42 Street

You forgot the other way:

(M) ----> (6) at Broadway-Lafayette/Bleecker

I get where you're coming from, but as noted you have a potential additional problem of people getting on at Vernon-Jackson on the (7) who if they have to wait through trains that become crush-loaded at Court Square due to displaced riders from the (L), that's not going to work out very well, especially in an area that has apparently seen big-time growth in recent years as those people likely start howling.

I also would not want an additional crush-load of people going through already-narrow stairways between the (7) and Lexington trains at Grand Central (yes, I know there are the escalators at the very west end of the station that allows people to get to the transfer that way, but far from everyone would use that and I know from using that transfer many times over the years) OR taxing an already notoriously-crowded 53rd/Lex platform transferring to/from the (6) at 51st Street.

The more people you can keep from Court Square, the better IMO.  If you can get them to instead take the (G) to Broadway and transfer to the J/M/Z at Hewes (via an OOS transfer), Fulton and an OOS transfer to the 2/3/4/5/B/D/N/Q/R at Atlantic-Barclays or Hoyt-Schermerhorn and a direct transfer to the (A) and (C), it cuts down on the potential problems at Court Square and also at Vernon-Jackson because of (7) trains being overcrowded from displaced (L) riders and creating major complaints there.  

The parts here are regardless of what the (MTA) decides to do with the (M).

Archived