Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Recommended Posts

Also, sending the (J) to Brooklyn screws with the rush-hour skip-stop service. That is unless you extend those (Z) runs down there as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, Lance said:

Also, sending the (J) to Brooklyn screws with the rush-hour skip-stop service. That is unless you extend those (Z) runs down there as well.

It wouldn't "screw" the skip stop service. (Z) trains are put-ins from ENY, if I remember correctly, and could still relay at Broad Street independent of (J) service. Skip-stop hasn't always been between two of basically the same service -- in the late 1960s and early 1970s, skip stop was comprised by the (QJ) and :KK: which were completely different services on their western ends -- the (QJ) ran to Brighton via Nassau while the :KK: ran up 6th Avenue to 57th Street.

The only real issue is that if the (J) is delayed south of Broad Street, there could be an uneven amount of northbound (J) and (Z) trains departing Broad Street.

Edited by P3F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but if a (J) is delayed somewhere in South Brooklyn while (Z) trains continue to terminate at Broad St, you will have instances where (Z) trains leave back to back, which is no good. The (W) does not have that problem, nor is a long semi-local line.

Also, just for the record, none of those examples you used lasted that long. The split-service skip-stop only lasted about five years with the :KK: and (QJ) before reverting to basically what is today's service, just labelled as (J)-As and (J)-Bs in 1973.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

The point is to give Broadway-Brooklyn riders 6th Avenue service at all times.  Since there really is no other place to turn such (if not going to 71/Continental), 96th/2nd takes care of that with the (M) and the added benefit for those on the UES of additional service on the SAS portion to 63rd with most of the stops on 6th Avenue no more than a block from the Broadway stations. 

Once again, if UES residents want 6 Ave service, they can take the blasted (Q) 3 stops and transfer.

As for sending the (J) into South Brooklyn, that also creates a bigger bottleneck at 36 St than it is now.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading the numbers regarding how the (4) train fared with its on time performance during the weekend of this year as of February this year, and I noticed that it went down by about 44%, while the (3) train got a lot better in its on time performance by about 56%. I expected the (2) and (5) trains to do worse in that respect, but the (4) train was the unexpected one to fail completely in the Interborough Rapid Transit division.

The link to that report is found here, between pages 45 and 46: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/180423_1000_Transit.pdf

In light of this dismal report for the weekend (4) train, what ideas do you guys have to improve the weekend (4) train to make it better?

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Link edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Once again, if UES residents want 6 Ave service, they can take the blasted (Q) 3 stops and transfer.

It sounds so simple, but in reality, what the passenger sees is this:

  • Lexington Avenue/63 Street
    • (F) train closes doors before anyone from the (Q) can get on.
    • (Q) train closes doors before anyone from the (F) can get on.
  • Brighton Beach
    • Manhattan-bound (B) train closes doors before anyone from the (Q) can get on.
    • Coney Island-bound (Q) train closes doors before anyone from the (B) can get on.

A one-seat ride is so appealing because you don’t have to deal with shenanigans like that. One could say that the MTA could order conductors to hold trains. But if the trains are always delayed and have to make up time, the pressure always forces trains to keep moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I was reading the numbers regarding how the (4) train fared with its on time performance during the weekend of this year as of February this year, and I noticed that it went down by about 44%, while the (3) train got a lot better in its on time performance by about 56%. I expected the (2) and (5) trains to do worse in that respect, but the (4) train was the unexpected one to fail completely in the Interborough Rapid Transit division.

The link to that report is found here, between pages 45 and 46: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/180423_1000_Transit.pdf

In light of this dismal report for the weekend (4) train, what ideas do you guys have to improve the weekend (4) train to make it better?

(4) probably was sh*t due to weekend work and all those hassles. The (3) probably did the best given that it only runs to 14th, so there is little chance for error. Weekend (4) service is already screwed up as-is with the Bronx having bare-bones service and Manhattan having local service. You could suspend Bronx service and try to get the (4) express between 42nd, but I'm not sure if that will work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.