Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

While that would give the (7) more capacity and provide for a 50th Street crosstown subway, I don’t see how double-decking the existing Roosevelt Avenue el and terminating the new express tracks over the PW branch would have any real advantage over building a four-track subway under Roosevelt that could have provisions built in for potential branches into East and Northeast Queens (possibly even East Elmhurst/LGA). And I get the feeling Astoria riders would absolutely go bonkers the idea of replacing their spacious (relatively speaking) B-Division trains for the smaller, cramped A-Division trains. 

What about this instead? Build the tunnel under 50th Street you suggested, but once in Queens, have it continue straight along 45th Avenue, which then turns into Thompson Avenue at Court Square, which then merges into Queens Blvd just east of the railroad tracks. Then the tracks would rise in the middle of Queens Blvd and take over the existing (7) el starting at Rawson/33rd Street. The (7) line stations from 33rd on would then be converted to B-Division. I presume the short subway in Flushing is already built to B-Division clearances, so that shouldn’t be a big problem. Though you’d still have the same issues with branching or extending the Flushing Line eastward, but it may be better with longer trains. And you also lose  a significant number of the Flushing line’s transfers by relocating it to 50th Street in Manhattan (specifically the (A)(Q)(2)(3)(4) and (5), also the (N) if it’s sent up 2nd Ave). 

30 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

At current numbers would it be possible to split the (A) service as run a letter (K) service to lefferts and A to Rockaway? 

In general branches of existing services shouldn't have different names. For example the (E)(N)(5) have two different northern terminals during rush hour.

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

At current numbers would it be possible to split the (A) service as run a letter (K) service to lefferts and A to Rockaway? 

Ideally, have another service take Fulton Local ( (R) or (W) from Broadway has been discussed here in this thread previously), move the (C) to the role of Fulton Express to Lefferts, which allows for all (A) trains to alternate between short turning at JFK and Far Rock.

I saw a tweet about spending money to extend the (J) down 4th Ave to supplement service vs wasting money on the stupid BQX posted by 2nd Ave sagas 

Why not extend the (W) to supplement 4th Ave service ?

Covers CBD access that the (brownM)🐡lacked when it ran on 4th ave

Edited by BreeddekalbL
Can someone please edit that blow fish out I didn't mean do post it

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I saw a tweet about spending money to extend the (J) down 4th Ave to supplement service vs wasting money on the stupid BQX posted by 2nd Ave sagas 

Why not extend the (W) to supplement 4th Ave service ?

Covers CBD access that the (brownM)🐡lacked when it ran on 4th ave

The CBD is covered by (R) to (D)/(N) (or in this case, it would be (J) to (D) / (N)).

The biggest difference between 2010 ridership patterns and 2019/2020 ridership patterns is the emergence of downtown as a legitimate destination in its own right. There's definitely more people staying on the (R) to/from Lower Manhattan than I can recall previously. The (brownM) was also hurt by missing the highest ridership portion of 4th Avenue (45th-95th) completely.

The combination of serving Bay Ridge/Sunset Park and serving the east side of Lower Manhattan (Fulton Center, Wall Street, Water Street, etc) would make the (J) attractive.

• Upvote 4

Probably because the (W) pretty much would duplicate the (R) the entire way in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Vanshnookenraggen suggested extending both the (J) and (W) as a way to mitigate traffic congestion on the Gowanus/BQE, whenever they plan to reconstruct it. Here’s the link:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2018/10/we-dont-need-to-replace-the-bqe-but-we-will/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Probably because the (W) pretty much would duplicate the (R) the entire way in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Vanshnookenraggen suggested extending both the (J) and (W) as a way to mitigate traffic congestion on the Gowanus/BQE, whenever they plan to reconstruct it. Here’s the link:

http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2018/10/we-dont-need-to-replace-the-bqe-but-we-will/

Sounds like a nice plan. Now all that's left is the willpower of the (MTA) ...

Edited by lara8710

Is one service enough for the planned Second Avenue Subway? With a proposed connection to the (F) at 63rd Street towards Queens, it's logical that a second service supplement the (T).

This was my most recent service proposal:

On 2/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, lara8710 said:

The SAS could get a second line to Queens, given that current plans call for a spur to the 63rd Street (F) line toward 21st Street - Queensbridge. From there the line can continue as an elevated structure above the LIRR between Sunnyside Yards and the Forest Hills - 71st Avenue (E)(F)(M)(R) station where it connects to the local tracks along the Queens Boulevard corridor. This new line would be a turquoise (V) supplementing the (T) south of 55th Street, operating local east of that station to 179th Street, operating express to 21st Street via the 61st Street - Woodside (7) station, and then making all (T) stops to Hanover Square after Lexington Avenue - 63rd Street (F)(Q) station. It would operate at all times except late nights.

To accommodate this new service, the (E) would run express east of 71st Avenue at all times except late nights when it operates local in Queens. (F) service along this segment toward 179th Street would remain unchanged.

However, I also have to admit that such a plan would first require that Jamaica Yard be expanded as overcrowding has forced the storage of trains on the express tracks east of 71st Avenue during late nights and weekends.

Edited by lara8710

New Proposal: 

I’m not open to the idea of Making a subway on Northen Boulevard but since there is High Ridership on the (7) line, and is in need of a Relief, here are my thoughts:

Under the scenario that the Q66 (being converted to SBS) and the Atlantic Ticket are not sufficient enough to relive the crowds on the (7) (Which is something that will happen in my opinion) a Northern Boulevard Subway would be justified. 

(Short Term) If we were to build Norrhern Boulevard as a Trunk, then the 63rd Street Tunnel and the Crosstown Line/Queens Plaza Local Tracks should be Used in my opinion. (This would also Help with Deinterlining QBL as well)  Tunnel Spurs would run Underneath Sunnyside Yards for simplicity and to not underpin any tunnels. Stops: 

Broadway - Local (E); (G)(R) SAS (V) 

64/69th Street - (G)(R) 

72nd Street- (G)(R) 

81st Street - (G)(R)

90th Street- (G)(R) 

(Either Junction Blvd Or 108th Street could be the Express stop before a potential LaGuardia Spur can be built.) 

Junction Blvd- (G)(R) SAS (V), connection to the Q72 to LaGuardia 

108th Street- (G)(R) 

(Spur to LaGuardia Airport, College Point or Continue down Northern Blvd if warranted, but for now, Let’s Simplify this) 

Main Street - (G) ( (R) )  SAS (V)  

Parsons Blvd/132nd Street - SAS (V) 

Willets Point Blvd - SAS (V)

20th Avenue - SAS (V) 

14th Avenue - SAS (V)

One disclaimer before I close off, the reason I have the (G) extended here is so that it can have a better terminal than compared to now. Any thoughts or comments about this proposal?