Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I thought too, but then I remembered Grand Army Plaza.

The Grand Army Plaza and Seventh Avenue stations are basically one to two blocks apart at most. The downgrade between Seventh Ave and Prospect Park on the Brighton line begins under the Grand Army Plaza IRT station. A station between Seventh Ave and Prospect Park at the half way point would leave one well past the library on Flatbush Avenue in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the fences for the Botanic Garden and the park. On a side note, if one wanted to reach the library building itself the closest access point was the now closed exits at the north end of the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum IRT station. The Grand Army Plaza station is basically the station for the monument and the surrounding neighborhood north of the park toward downtown Brooklyn.

I think they should merge Beverley Road and Courtelyou Road.

Already mentioned that:

Speaking of mergers, I would have a new station built [brighton line] b/w Cortelyou and Beverley Rd and all trains stopping at that station while the 2 former stations serving as extended walkways to their respective street level exits. The new station would have wider platforms and exits at the middle of the platform.

And do you have an issue with using the edit button?

The Grand Army Plaza and Seventh Avenue stations are basically one to two blocks apart at most. The downgrade between Seventh Ave and Prospect Park on the Brighton line begins under the Grand Army Plaza IRT station. A station between Seventh Ave and Prospect Park at the half way point would leave one well past the library on Flatbush Avenue in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the fences for the Botanic Garden and the park. On a side note, if one wanted to reach the library building itself the closest access point was the now closed exits at the north end of the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum IRT station. The Grand Army Plaza station is basically the station for the monument and the surrounding neighborhood north of the park toward downtown Brooklyn.
Still, the plaza is big, and to get from the Seventh Ave station to the library you have to go those two blocks uphill, and then all the way around to the other side, and as you said, the closest access is now closed, so a station there would be useful. (It's not midway, but then I don't think he said it had to be midway).

Still, the plaza is big, and to get from the Seventh Ave station to the library you have to go those two blocks uphill, and then all the way around to the other side, and as you said, the closest access is now closed, so a station there would be useful. (It's not midway, but then I don't think he said it had to be midway).

The safest way is to use the Brooklyn Museum station and avoid crossing Flatbush Ave and/or Eastern Parkway, period. To build a Brighton line station adjacent to the library would be a waste of money IMO. It would only be two or three train lengths from the existing Seventh Ave station which is probably why it was never proposed or built back in the day. Remember the original Brighton line used the existing Franklin Shuttle ROW to get to downtown Brooklyn and Park Row. The library's ground breaking was in 1912 and the present Brighton route opened in 1920 so I guess the BRT never considered a Grand Army Plaza stop because they did have time to plan for and build it if they wanted to. Just my opinion. Carry on.

I would have (L) train stops at 2nd Ave. and Avenue B instead of at 1st and 3rd Aves. 3rd Avenue is a given as it's only a block away from Union Sq., and walking to Alphabet City is a bitch depending on how far in you have to go (good luck if you're going to Ave. D...). Also, when (if) the SAS reaches down there in Phase 3 anyway it would make the 14th St. transfer to the (L) that much easier. Similarly, I would add 2nd Ave. stations to the (F), (N)(Q)(R), (E)(M) and (7) lines. No one's going to want to walk 2 avenues down to the Lexington Ave. stations when the SAS opens, and 2nd Ave. is populated enough to warrant stations too. I doubt those are possible under existing conditions though.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread I would have stations at 5th Ave. - 63rd St. (F), Union Ave. (J)(M)(Z) (closing Hewes and Lorimer) and 103rd St. (2)(3).

Is a station at Allerton Ave. (5) necessary? It's really close to Gun Hill Rd. as it is. I also don't think it's necessary to add any more 28th St. stations since you're never more than 5 blocks away from a station between 23rd and 34th streets. You don't want too many stops as that just makes commuting slower.

I would have (L) train stops at 2nd Ave. and Avenue B instead of at 1st and 3rd Aves. 3rd Avenue is a given as it's only a block away from Union Sq., and walking to Alphabet City is a bitch depending on how far in you have to go (good luck if you're going to Ave. D...). Also, when (if) the SAS reaches down there in Phase 3 anyway it would make the 14th St. transfer to the that much easier. Similarly, I would add 2nd Ave. stations to the (F), (N)(Q)(R), (E)(M) and (7) lines. No one's going to want to walk 2 avenues down to the Lexington Ave. stations when the SAS opens, and 2nd Ave. is populated enough to warrant stations too. I doubt those are possible under existing conditions though.

I agree with the (L) train idea.

About the Second Av. stations, while they would be convenient stations, they wouldn't work:

There is already a Second Av. station on the (F) (hence it's title, 2nd Av).

The (E)(M) won't happen because the Queens-bound end of 53 St. - Lexington Av. is at, if not passed Third Av.

Similar with the (N)(Q)(R) at 59 St. - Lexington Av. AND the (7) at Grand Central.

The only problem with the (7) having a stop under 2nd Av would be the steep decent when heading down to the river tunnel - IIRC. But I do think that it would've been nice to have given the 'Lexington Av' stop is really more under Park Av instead.

If I could change a stop on the (7), I would close 5th Av and have the stop placed at 6th, so people need only to walk up/down a flight of stairs to get b/w the (7) and 6th Av lines. Way better than to walk down that long corridor.

About the Second Av. stations, while they would be convenient stations, they wouldn't work:

The (E)(M) won't happen because the Queens-bound end of 53 St. - Lexington Av. is at, if not passed Third Av.

Similar with the (N)(Q)(R) at 59 St. - Lexington Av. AND the (7) at Grand Central.

These are great points.

The L train scenario is an interesting one. In theory I would love it at 2nd Ave and Ave B, but am curious if the reason it wasn't constructed like that originally is because of fears of under utilization closer to Alphabet City. Clearly that wouldn't be the case these days...

Except the (F) is 14 blocks south of the (L). Building those two proposed (L) stops in conjunction with the Second Avenue Subway if/when it goes that far south would certainly be smarter and create an easy interchange.

Revival of the old IRT double local that ran on Lexington south of 42nd St and Broadway north of it.

8 local train.

--START--

Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall

Canal St

Spring St

Bleecker St

Astor Pl

14 St - Union Sq

23 St

28 St

33 St

42 St - Grand Central

42 St - Times Square

50 St

59 St - Columbus Circle

66 St

72 St

79 St

86 St

96 St

103 St

110 St

116 St

125 St

137 St

145 St

157 St

168 St

179 St - GW Bus Terminal

--END--

Would alleviate local crowding on both the (1) and (6). Never mind the difficulty in organizing such a line.

Revival of the old IRT double local that ran on Lexington south of 42nd St and Broadway north of it.

8 local train.

--START--

Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall

Canal St

Spring St

Bleecker St

Astor Pl

14 St - Union Sq

23 St

28 St

33 St

42 St - Grand Central

42 St - Times Square

50 St

59 St - Columbus Circle

66 St

72 St

79 St

86 St

96 St

103 St

110 St

116 St

125 St

137 St

145 St

157 St

168 St

179 St - GW Bus Terminal

--END--

Would alleviate local crowding on both the (1) and (6). Never mind the difficulty in organizing such a line.

You would need to somehow dig a new tunnel from the local track of the (6) to connect to the old local track of the original line north/westbound (now Track 4 on the shuttle) and the same southbound from the (1) from 50th to connect to what is Track 1 on the shuttle, plus obviously lengthen the Grand Central and Times Square Stations on what currently is the shuttle. It would be an engineering nightmare to say the least.

You would need to somehow dig a new tunnel from the local track of the (6) to connect to the old local track of the original line north/westbound (now Track 4 on the shuttle) and the same southbound from the (1) from 50th to connect to what is Track 1 on the shuttle, plus obviously lengthen the Grand Central and Times Square Stations on what currently is the shuttle. It would be an engineering nightmare to say the least.

Hence, why I said to never mind the difficulty.

my new stations

(F)(M) W Broadway- Laguardia Pl. To take some relief of Broadway-Lafayette & W 4 St

(L) Avenue C and 2 Av

(C)(E) 7 Av South

(:P(Q) Tillary Street

(:((Q) Neptune Av

(F) Atlantic Av

(5) Allerton Av

(5) Bronxdale Av-White Plains Rd

it would also be cool if someway it was possible to add stops along the Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridges

(F) Atlantic Av

Atlantic is only three blocks north of Bergen and two south of Hoyt. For IND stations in Downtown Brooklyn, it'd make more sense to work on connecting to BMT or IRT stops. Unfortunately that's virtually impossible and bad design on the part of the IND engineers who were working on eventually recapturing.