Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• 1 month later...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I edited the route a little and here are the new stops:

(P) 2nd Avenue Express

Wakefield-White Plains Road, Bronx or Co-op City Terminal-Bay Plaza, Bronx to Cambria Heights-234 Street, Queens.

Via Castle Hill Line, Laffayette Avenue Line, 3rd Avenue Line (Bronx), 2nd Avenue Express, Linden Boulevard Express.

Credit goes to Threxx for Original Castle Hill Line.

Express Stops

Local Stops

LISTS OF STOPS:

Wakefield Branch:

Wakefield-White Plains Road/233 Street.

Bronxwood Avenue

229 Street/Laconia Avenue

222 Street

216 Street

Gun Hill Road

Adee Avenue

Allerton Avenue

Waring Avenue

Pelham Parkway

Neill Avenue (Cross streets)

Morris Park Avenue (Cross streets)

Tremont Avenue/Castle Hill Avenue

St. Raymonds Avenue

Westchester Avenue

Watson Avenue

Story Avenue

Cincinnatus Avenue

White Plains Road/Randall Avenue

Beach Avenue/Soundview Avenue

Co-op City Branch:

Co-op City Terminal-Bay Plaza/Co-op City Blvd-Bartow Avenue

Baychester Avenue/Bartow Avenue

Gun Hill Road/Kingsland Avenue

Mace Avenue

Pelham Parkway

Wilkinson Avenue/Edison Avenue

Buhre Avenue

Middletown Road/Ericson Place

Dudley Avenue/Tremont Avenue

Waterbury Avenue

Bruckner Blvd

Balcom Avenue/Laffayette Avenue

Zerega Avenue

Castle Hill Avenue

White Plains Road

Soundview Avenue

(P) branches combine:

Co-op City Branch runs express

Wakefield Branch run local

Morrison Avenue/Laffayette Avenue

Colgate Avenue

Edgewater Road

Hunts Point Avenue

Garrison Avenue

Prospect Avenue/Longwood Avenue

Laffayette Ave Line

====================

3rd Avenue Line (Bronx)

156 Street/3rd Avenue

149 Street

135 Street

The Bronx | 3rd Avenue Line

-------------------------------

Manhattan | 2nd Avenue Line

East Harlem-125 Street/2nd Avenue

Continuation of stops later.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

I have a request. Recreate the original proposed BRT/BMT plan for two access tunnels for subway access to Staten Island. Make note of the stubs at Whitehall St. and 59th street at 4th avenue (The reason why the 4th ave line was built among other reasons.) Complete the Bay Ridge line into a 4 track, since the BMT has provisions built into it for a 4 track. (Why the underground bridge over the Bay Ridge LIRR is 4 roadbeds with two operational, not two, and why Bay Ridge Avenue is configured in such a way that it was intended to be part of an express route). The Manhattan link was supposed to have a stop at Ellis Island. The Brooklyn link goes straight from Owl's Head Park from 4th Ave. It could have been completed but the IND killed those plans in their quest for acquisition.

Thanks to Benjamin Kabek for the great article on the subject. Link can be found here:

http://secondavenues...nected-borough/

Here's some renderings:

StatenIslandProposals.jpg

And this:

SIRapidTransitLarge.jpg

Edited by realizm

The Continuation of Stops:

-------------------------------

Express - (P) (Q)

Local - (T)(Y) [M]

East Harlem-125 Street/2nd Avenue

72 Street

(Q)[M] splits off / [H] comes back from 63 Street Connector

(X) comes from 57 Street Line

(I) comes from 50 Street Line

Express-[H](I)(P)(X)

Local-(T)(Y)

United Nations-42 Street

14 Street

Lower East Side-Houston Street

(T) goes to South 4 Street Line via Delancy Street Tunnel.

Grand Street/Bowery

[H] goes to Brighton Beach via Manhattan Bridge.

(X)(Y) go to 5th Avenue Line via Frankfort Street Tunnel.

Chatham Square

World Trade Center Transit Hub-South St Seaport/Pearl Street

Hanover Square/Water Street

South Ferry Transit Hub

Govenor's Island/Hay Road

-----------------------------------

Brooklyn | Linden Blvd Line

Express-(P)

Local- (W)

Columbia Street/Gowanus Expwy

(I) goes to Empire Blvd Line.

4th Avenue/Prospect Avenue

Ocean Avenue/Caton Avenue

Nostrand Avenue/Linden Blvd

Utica Avenue

Kings Highway

Rockaway Avenue

Pennsylvania Avenue

Fountain Avenue

Crossbay Blvd/133 Avenue

Lefferts Blvd-119 Street/Linden Blvd

Sutphin Blvd

Merrick Blvd

Farmers Blvd

Springfield Blvd ( (W) terminates here, (P) makes local stops from here)

225 Street

Cambria Height-234 Street

Here is my idea for the Second Avenue Line and how I would like to see it used (that is, if the MTA had unlimited money):

Staten Island Branch (Light Blue V)

Tottenville (Southern Terminus for the V)

Atlantic

Arthur Kill Road

Nassau

Richmond Valley

Pleasant Plains

Prince's Bay

Huguenot

Annadale

Eltingville

Great Kills

Bay Terrace

Oakwood Heights

New Dorp

Grant City

Jefferson Avenue

Dongan Hills

Old Town

Grasmere

Clifton

Stapleton

Tompkinsville

St. George

Governor's Island

Brooklyn (Utica/Myrtle) Branch:

Kings Plaza-Avenue U (Southern Terminus of the (T))

Avenue N

Flatlands Avenue

Kings Highway

Avenue D

Beverley Road

Church Avenue ( (T) becomes express and it is the southern terminus of the light blue U)

Winthrop Street (local)

Remsen Avenue (local)

Crown Heights-Utica Avenue (express, transfer to the (2), (3), (4), and (5))

Prospect Place (local)

Fulton Street (express, transfer to the (A) and (C))

Halsey Street (local)

Gates Street (local)

Lafayette Street (local)

Myrtle Avenue (express, transfer to the (J), (M), and (Z))

Throop Avenue (local)

Nostrand Avenue (local, transfer to the (G) at Myrtle-Willoughby)

Classon Avenue (local)

Washington Avenue (local)

Fort Greene Park (local)

Jay Street-MetroTech (express, transfer to the (A), (C), (F), and (R))

York Street (express, transfer to the (F). Note: There are tracks built to run with the (F) in this section)

After York Street the (T) and U will run in the same tunnel as the (B) and (D) (albeit on different tracks) to get into Manhattan.

The next post from me will be about the Manhattan portion of the line.

My SAS Plan:

[H] 2nd Avenue Express

Between Douglaston-Little Neck Parkway, Queens and Brighton Beach, Brooklyn

VIa Horace Harding Express - Queens Blvd Express - 63 Street - Manhattan Bridge - Brighton Express

(I) 2nd Avenue Express

Between Co-op City Terminal-Bay Plaza, The Bronx and Cypress Hills-Cresent Street, Brooklyn

Via Watson Ave Express - Flatbush Avenue Express - 50 Street - Empire Blvd Express

(P) 2nd Avenue Express

Between Wakefield-White Plains Road, The Bronx or Co-op City Terminal-Bay Plaza, The Bronx and Cambria Heights-234 Street, Queens

Via Castle Hill Line (Credit:Threxx) - Laffayette Avenue Local or Laffayette Avenue Express - Linden Blvd Express

(T) 2nd Avenue Local

Between Co-op City Terminal-Bay Plaza, The Bronx and Kings Plaza-Avenue U, Brooklyn

Via Gun Hill Road Local - 3rd Avenue (Bronx) Local - Delancy Street Tunnel - Bushwick Ave Local - Utica Avenue Local

Rush Hour peak-direction service runs via 3rd Avenue (Bronx) Express

(X) 2nd Avenue Express

Between Fort George-190 Street, Manhattan and Tottenville-Brighton Street, Staten Island

VIa Amsterdam Avenue Express - 57 Street Line (Credit: Threxx) - 5th Avenue (Brooklyn) Express - The Narrows Tunnel - Hylan Blvd Express

(Y) 2nd Avenue Local

Co-op City North-Hutchinson Avenue, The Bronx to Tottenville-Brighton Street, Staten Island

Via Boston Road Line - 3rd Avenue (Bronx) Local - 5th Avenue (Brooklyn) Local - The Narrows Tunnel - Hylan Blvd Local

Yeah, I know, an awful lot of expresses.....

From now on, I'm going to 'like' the post of a route I'm going to use.

My plan for the Second Avenue Subway, Part 2:

As I said in the last post, the Brooklyn branch would go under the Manhattan Bridge.

The T and blue V are express in Manhattan while the U is local. Here is the service south of the merging of these three lines:

Whitehall Street-South Ferry (transfer available to the (1), (N), and (R))

Wall Street (transfer available to the (2) and (3))

Fulton Transit Center (transfer available to the (2), (3), (4), (5), (A), (C), (E), (J), (N), (R), and (Z))

Chambers Street (transfer available to the (4), (5), (6), (J), and (Z))

The lines merge south of the Grand Street station. The pattern is then like this:

Grand Street (express, transfer to the (B) and (D))

2nd Avenue (express, transfer to the (F))

St. Marks Place (local)

14th Street (express, transfer to the 1st Avenue (L))

23rd Street (local)

28th Street (local)

34th Street (local)

I'm on the verge of using too many emoticons , so I'll have to continue with the rest of the line in a different post.

Continuing from where I left off. Before I begin, I must say this includes the transfer at 59th Street, something the MTA should (but doesn't) have:

42nd Street-Grand Central (express, transfer available to the (4), (5), (6), (7), and Times Square (S))

51st Street (local, transfer to the (6), (E), and (M) through the Lexington Avenue-53rd Street station and the 51st Street station)

59th Street (express, transfer to the (4), (5), (6), (F), (N), (Q), and (R))

72nd Street Street (local)

79th Street (local)

86th Street (local)

96th Street (local)

103rd Street (local)

110th Street (local)

116th Street (express, last transfer available to the U and V)

The final part of the SAS will be in my next post.

Here is the final part of the SAS. Let me start off by making note that I use the SAS to extend to LaGuardia instead of the (N) and (Q) in order to make the NIMBY's happy for once, because their precious neighborhood wouldn't be "ruined" by an El.

LaGuardia Airport V:

Randall's Island (probably the lowest station ridership in the system lol)

21st Street

Astoria-Ditmars Blvd (transfer to the (N) and (Q))

Steinway Street

LaGuardia-Marine Air Terminal

LaGuardia-Central Terminal

LaGuardia-Terminal C

125th Street U:

Lexington Avenue-125th Street (transfer to the (4), (5), and (6))

Lenox Avenue-125th Street (transfer to the (2) and (3))

St. Nicholas Avenue-125th Street (transfer to the (A), (B), (C), and (D))

Broadway-125th Street (terminal, transfer available to the (1))

3rd Avenue Branch (T) (3-track arrangement with middle track potentially used for rush hour revenue service):

3rd Avenue-138th Street (express, transfer to the (6))

3rd Avenue-149th Street (express, transfer to the (2) and (5))

163rd Street (local)

168th Street (local)

Claremont Parkway (local)

Tremont Avenue (local)

183rd Street (local)

Fordham Road (express)

Bedford Park Blvd (local)

204th Street (express)

Williamsbridge-Gun Hill Road (transfer to the (2) and (5))

This is all discounting recovery periods and the reason for this proposal is to improve weekend service on the Nostrand Ave subway, particularly those times that the (2) does not show up for almost 20 minutes, which is something I have noticed on several occasions. The stations along Eastern Pkwy and Livonia east of Franklin would also benefit, but 148 St-Lenox and 145 St along with the (2)(3) stops from 135 St to Franklin Ave would lose out (one less train per hour). Although, the (2)(3) are not all that crowded on the weekends, especially the (3)

64 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (3), 128 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

65 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (4), 130 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

(3) from 148 to Flatbush every 15 minutes instead of 12: Rerouting it to Flatbush means a 5-minute decrease in running time in each direction, 10-minute decrease for a round, resulting in a 118-minute round trip. Currently 128/12 = 10.67 trains on the road, proposed 118/15 = 7.87 trains on the road, effectively 11 trains should be reduced to 8

(4) from Woodlawn to New Lots, local Franklin to New Lots: 12-minute increase in running time in each direction for the Utica to New Lots section plus a 2-minute increase in running time in each direction since it would run local from Franklin to Utica, adds up to an extra 14 minutes one way, 28 minutes for a round trip, resulting in a 158-minute round trip. Currently 130/8 = 16.25 trains on the road, proposed 158/8 = 19.75 trains on the road, effectively 17 trains should be increased to 20. Since the (3) lost 3 trains while the (4) gained 3, this proposal should be cost-neutral

Comments are welcome and anybody who thinks I am off my rocker for posting this can go on ahead and scoff until kingdom come (as has been done before), but it is pretty bad to wait 20 minutes for a (2) train sometimes when the thing is supposed to show up every 12 minutes and I figured I would post this suggestion since others have been trying to figure out how to improve weekend CPW and QB service

Edited by BrooklynIRT

Unless they put a pair of new turnouts by Nostrand JCT (which they are in no hurry to do ATM), trains actually would be crossing each other there since the (4) would have to take the local track to stop at Nost and Kingston. MTA does unfortunately have a thing for using switches as little as possible; extra switch maintenance could be one added cost, low as it may be

Q23, the whole point of this is to deal with the problems incurred when the (2) does not show up for almost 20 minutes at times on the weekends

Edited by BrooklynIRT

The reason why the Lex and 7th Avenue lines are split is to provide riders with both lines at once, so there isn't a mad dash at Franklin

Well, it would be better than upsetting a system that's "worked" for years...

Hey, on the weekends when I ride the (2) from JCT, half the car will empty out upon reaching Franklin due to the fact that almost half the pax want the (4)

And going back the other way a good number of people will transfer from the (4) to the (2) as well

The stations along Eastern Pkwy and Livonia east of Franklin would also benefit, but 148 St-Lenox and 145 St along with the (2)(3) stops from 135 St to Franklin Ave would lose out (one less train per hour). Although, the (2)(3) are not all that crowded on the weekends, especially the (3)

People at 148 St and 145 St will be :angry: if they get their service reduced to every 15 minutes.

The reason why the Lex and 7th Avenue lines are split is to provide riders with both lines at once, so there isn't a mad dash at Franklin, but I can see this working, as it would streamline Rogers Junction.

Nope. This is a weekend proposal, so the (5) is out of the picture. In fact, this would have the opposite effect on the Nostrand/Rogers Junction: (4) trains will have to merge with (2) and (3) trains, creating a new bottleneck.

I also think that this is a bad idea because I don't see the point in nearly doubling Nostrand Av service just because some (2) trains are delayed. Additionally, having the (3) run a completely different route in Brooklyn on the weekends will confuse the heck out of riders. My solution: have the dispatcher extend a (5) train to Flatbush Av to fill the gap whenever a (2) train is delayed. SIMPLE.

Honestly I think this is just another example of "My line has _____ problem, so let's extend the __ train to provide service." People sometimes neglect the fact that it's possible to overserve certain lines and be left with empty trains.

The ideal solution is to either make (5) trains run to Flatbush weekends or for a modified (2) from Flatbush Avenue to 137 Street City College local south of 14 street.

NO.

Dont ask me why I came up with that idea

Why did you come up with that idea?