Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

14 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

This isn't totally impossible, they planned to do this in the '70s and '80s (before the Archer Av Subway and 63 St tunnel blew up the capital budget)

What I mean is that this is going to be an expensive ass project. I wouldn't be surprised if the station renovation would cost more than phase 1 of 2 Av honestly.

37 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

What I mean is that this is going to be an expensive ass project. I wouldn't be surprised if the station renovation would cost more than phase 1 of 2 Av honestly.

I can't imagine this would be any more difficult than New South Ferry, which involved building a new rail station underneath an actively used existing one, building a transfer to Whitehall St, an archeological dig, and was located in a pretty expensive part of town. That ended up being a bit over a half billion dollars.

28 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

I can't imagine this would be any more difficult than New South Ferry, which involved building a new rail station underneath an actively used existing one, building a transfer to Whitehall St, an archeological dig, and was located in a pretty expensive part of town. That ended up being a bit over a half billion dollars.

Well, you also have the Bay Ridge Branch to deal with.

20 hours ago, Lex said:

Problem is, Utica already has more trains than it really needs (not so much for the (4) in this regard, but altogether, yes).

For clarity, I never indicated that one would preclude the other, just that improvements at one would do little with the other remaining poorly designed for its purposes.

Fix Rogers. 

Build Utica

Boom, Problem Solved. 

12 hours ago, Lex said:

Well, you also have the Bay Ridge Branch to deal with.

A lightly used single-track freight line at ground-level is no Lexington or South Ferry Loop.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, bobtehpanda said:

A lightly used single-track freight line at ground-level is no Lexington or South Ferry Loop.

We can double track it. It’ll be harder, yes but more capacity is better if more freight and later commuter rail is needed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harlem Crosstown said:

We can double track it. It’ll be harder, yes but more capacity is better if more freight and later commuter rail is needed.

Not really relevant to the question at hand though, which is "does existing infrastructure make Flatbush Av impossible to reconfigure?" (no)

• Upvote 1

Build a new connections between the (J)(Z) at Bowery and the (C)(E) at Spring via Broome Street; this gives us a fast way to connect the Jamaica lines to an uptown trunk whilst allowing us to increase capacity QBL and provide express service on Culver. A new tunnel between Fulton local and Whitehall is also built.

(A) 168th- Jamaica Center via CPW local, 8th local, and Broadway-Brooklyn express during rush hour peak (all stops before/after Myrtle). Operates all times.

(C) BPB- Metropolitan via Concourse local, CPW local, 8th local and Broadway-Brooklyn local. Weekends to 145th; late nights to Essex.

(E) Forest Hills- Rockaways via QBL local, 53rd, 8th express and Fulton express. Late nights via local.

(K) Forest Hills-Lefferts via QBL local, 53rd, 8th express and Fulton express. Late nights cut back to Euclid.

(B) Norwood-Brighton Beach via Concourse express (rush hour peak only), CPW express, 6th express and Brighton express. Operates all times.

(D) Inwood- CI via CPW, 6th, and 4th express.

(F) cut back to Church Avenue. Late nights to Coney Island.

(M) Jamaica Center- Coney Island via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver express.

(G) extended to 18th Av center

(N) rerouted to 96th

(Q) unchanged

(R) Astoria- Euclid

(W) eliminated

(J) Canal-Bay Ridge

(Z) eliminated 

Thoughts? 

On 6/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

Build a new connections between the (J)(Z) at Bowery and the (C)(E) at Spring via Broome Street; this gives us a fast way to connect the Jamaica lines to an uptown trunk whilst allowing us to increase capacity QBL and provide express service on Culver. A new tunnel between Fulton local and Whitehall is also built.

(A) 168th- Jamaica Center via CPW local, 8th local, and Broadway-Brooklyn express during rush hour peak (all stops before/after Myrtle). Operates all times.

(C) BPB- Metropolitan via Concourse local, CPW local, 8th local and Broadway-Brooklyn local. Weekends to 145th; late nights to Essex.

(E) Forest Hills- Rockaways via QBL local, 53rd, 8th express and Fulton express. Late nights via local.

(K) Forest Hills-Lefferts via QBL local, 53rd, 8th express and Fulton express. Late nights cut back to Euclid.

(B) Norwood-Brighton Beach via Concourse express (rush hour peak only), CPW express, 6th express and Brighton express. Operates all times.

(D) Inwood- CI via CPW, 6th, and 4th express.

(F) cut back to Church Avenue. Late nights to Coney Island.

(M) Jamaica Center- Coney Island via QBL express, 63rd, 6th local and Culver express.

(G) extended to 18th Av center

(N) rerouted to 96th

(Q) unchanged

(R) Astoria- Euclid

(W) eliminated

(J) Canal-Bay Ridge

(Z) eliminated 

Thoughts? 

This sounds like a great way to drastically kneecap all the connections available to the Jamaica Line. Why get all the trains at Fulton and Canal, when you can have... uh... the (L) ?

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

This sounds like a great way to drastically kneecap all the connections available to the Jamaica Line. Why get all the trains at Fulton and Canal, when you can have... uh... the (L) ?

Yeah, that’s the biggest issue I came across with this plan... I suppose you could try adding a stop for the (6) at Spring and the (R)(W) at Prince (you could also add a passageway between at Bowery to the (B)(D) at Grand). If all else fails though, I’d probably just extend the (J) up to Essex. 

48074960576_9b7258114c_b.jpgWhy I don't transfer at Court Square by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

There is no easy transfer between the (E)(M) and (7) at Court Square, which is why a lot of people, including myself, transfer at Roosevelt instead. It is indirect. Directly connecting the north end of the (7) platforms and the (E)(M) would make the transfer a lot easier.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7476851,-73.9448455,3a,75y,24.33h,81.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjE7jUHoZNTkyxRrBJxi6fw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

48075091797_1e58b77b69_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-16 at 4.12.57 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48075091472_df9022ac1c.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-16 at 4.13.16 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

@Lance Right near the location of my proposed transfer, a building is under construction, and has forced the temporary closure of the exit at the northeast corner of 44th Drive and 23rd Street. This exit is being rebuilt as part of the building's construction, and an elevator will be added, though likely only to the Manhattan-bound platform.

Rendering showing rebuilt entrance with an elevator

apartments-long-island-city-entrance-bui

This is a big missed opportunity to make the entire (E)(M)  station accessible and to build a transfer. The (7) is accessible and the (G) is being made accessible. Leaving the Queens-bound platform without an elevator is beyond stupid.

Edit: This is the building

23-15-44th-Drive-691x1200.jpg

Here is what Curbed says about it:

Meet the skyscraper that’s poised to claim the title of Queens’s tallest tower at 752 feet (previous estimates said it would stand 984 feet tall). Designed by Hill West Architects, Court Square City View Tower will have 802 apartments with “unparalleled” skyline views and all of the typical luxury amenities like a fitness center, pool, and communal terrace. As of February this year, construction was finally moving forward at the site. The building is also set to be the first in Queens to surpass $1 billion in sales.

In other words, they surely could pay for the improvements I proposed.

The zoning laws for the area resulted in the transfers between the (E)(M) and the (G) and between the (G)  and the (7) . Here is what they say:

Appendix B Court Square Subdistrict Plan Map and Description of Improvements

The first two were done; the third has not been done. The connection I proposed is not of the eligible projects.

A subway improvement, to consist of a connection between the Crosstown and Flushing Lines and maintenance of glass partitions in the control area of the Queens Boulevard Line, Court Sq-23 St Station mezzanine and near the control area of the Crosstown Line, Court Sq Station mezzanine which are to be installed by the developer of Block 2. The developer shall notify the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission upon both application for, and issuance of, a first building permit for the #development# on this #Block#.
Block 2

A subway improvement, to consist of a connection between the Queens Boulevard and Crosstown Lines, preparation of preliminary plans for a Crosstown Line, Court Sq Station and Flushing Line, Court Sq Station connection and installation of glass partitions in the control area of the Court Sq-23 St Station mezzanine and near the control area of the Court Sq Station mezzanine, upon receipt of a written request by the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission, which shall occur only after the issuance of a first building permit for the #development# on Block 1.
Block 3

The first #development# or #enlargement# to meet the criteria for a subway improvement shall construct new entrances at the intersection of 44th Drive and 23rd Street for the Flushing Line, Court Sq Station, in consultation with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Department of City Planning.
For subsequent #developments# or #enlargements#, a subway improvement to the north end of the Flushing Line, Court Sq Station, shall be required. Such improvement shall be determined in consultation with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Department of City Planning.

EDIT: CEQR is so stupid. Here is what it says about the impacts of the partial closure of the road, which closed the entrance, for transit users.

Transit
The Full Closure would not introduce new transit users, nor change existing transit use along the MTA’s Court Square train stops (Court Square Station along the G and 7 trains, Court Square – 23rd Street Station along the E and M trains, and Queensboro Plaza Station along the 7, N, and W trains) and New York City Transit (NYCT) bus lines (Q39, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q101, Q102, B32, and B62).. Therefore, the Full Closure would not result in any significant adverse impacts on transit. As determined in coordination with NYCDOT, detailed transit analyses are not warranted and were not performed.

Edited by Union Tpke
  • Upvote 1