Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Operational details for my proposed (2) / (3) 7th Av express lines...  

Late Night (3 TPH):

• (2) 3 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush (operates local in Manhattan)
  • (3) 3 TPH between 148th St and Times Square (operates express)
  • (S) 3 TPH between E 180th St and Dyre Av

Reduced (15 TPH):

• (2) 5 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush
  • (2) 5 TPH between Dyre Av and Flatbush
  • (3) 5 TPH between 148th St and Utica Av

Daytime (18 TPH):

• (2) 6 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush
  • (2) 6 TPH between Dyre Av and Flatbush
  • (3) 6 TPH between 148th St and Utica Av

Peak - for Bronx (24 TPH):

• Diamond (2) 6 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush (White Plains express)
  • Diamond (2) 6 TPH between Dyre Av and Flatbush (White Plains express)
  • (2) 8 TPH between Nereid Av and Utica Av / New Lots (White Plains local)
  • (3) 4 TPH between 148th St and New Lots

Peak - for Brooklyn (24 TPH):

• (3) 6 TPH between 148th St and New Lots

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, drekroid said:

Operational details for my proposed (2) / (3) 7th Av express lines...  

Late Night (3 TPH):

• (2) 3 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush (operates local in Manhattan)
  • (3) 3 TPH between 148th St and Times Square (operates express)
  • (S) 3 TPH between E 180th St and Dyre Av

Reduced (15 TPH):

• (2) 5 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush
  • (2) 5 TPH between Dyre Av and Flatbush
  • (3) 5 TPH between 148th St and Utica Av

Daytime (18 TPH):

Peak - for Bronx (24 TPH):

• Diamond (2) 6 TPH between 241st St and Flatbush (White Plains express)
  • Diamond (2) 6 TPH between Dyre Av and Flatbush (White Plains express)
  • (2) 8 TPH between Nereid Av and Utica Av / New Lots (White Plains local)
  • (3) 4 TPH between 148th St and New Lots

Peak - for Brooklyn (24 TPH):

• (3) 6 TPH between 148th St and New Lots

Do you even ride these things or consider the areas they pass through?

Nostrand Avenue is damn near close to dead on weekends (certainly not enough people to justify current service levels, but nothing can be done about that without needless branching), but rather busy on weekdays. If you don't believe me, just look at the (5).

The (3) is still a thing mostly to allow the (4) to short-turn in Brooklyn and handle the weekday loads that the (2) is unable to handle. The bulk of these proposals either overserve (Brooklyn is in no position to require 12 (3) trains at any time) or underserve (6 tph during the day and 4 tph during the peak? Really?) the route.

The Bronx also gets shafted, and not just because of the loss of Lexington Avenue service (a poor move, given its popularity and the market difference, but I digress). At present, people up there get trains that run fairly frequently during most hours (with the exception of Dyre Avenue on weekends). Under this, not only does weekend Dyre Avenue service not change at all, but WPR in general loses a good number of trains (capped at 14 north of East 180th Street and 20 south of there, down from around 15 and 25 for the same sections, while weekends drop from 12.5 to 10 and days drop from a conservative 15 to a hard 12).

Basically, this is great if the plan is to tank ridership and cut costs...

On 8/9/2019 at 8:26 PM, drekroid said:

Using the original Montreal Metro Map style to show a simpler network that would have better frequencies and less delays...

NYC-Final-Legends.png.fc2a1005dbde3d856af041ad7e98cc4b.png

This is actually quite an original diagram, given that queens and Brooklyn are rotated 45 degrees of how they're oriented in real life.

So this has nothing to do with your service proposals, but I wouldn't really call this "Montreal Metro" style. Quite frankly the lines and stops are way too chunky, especially in relation to the text size - the classic Montreal Metro layout has the cap-height of the font matching the diameter of the stop. As a result it's very hard to actually read the text.

I will also say that the only reason the Montreal Metro layout works as well as it does, is because the Montreal Metro is not a very dense network at all, so they can afford to have things taking up a lot of room. That certainly isn't true here.

Make a (JFK) from LGA to Manhattan, following this route

LGA Airport

Hazen St/Ditmars Bl

Stienway St/Ditmars Bl

31 St/Ditmars Bl (N)(W)

21 St/Ditmars Bl

24 AV/21 St

27 Av/21 St

Bway/21 St

36 AV/21 St

21 St/41 Av (F)

Queensboro Plaza (N)(W)(7) - connection to (E)(M)(R)

Runs along Queensboro Bridge

59 St/2 Av

59 St/Lex Av (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6)

59 St/5 Av (N)(R)(W)

Columbus Circle (1)(A)(B)(C)(D)

10 Av/59 St

12 Av/59 St

14 hours ago, RR503 said:

The Concourse line has a lot of intra-corridor ridership, and is a key relief line for Lex. While I understand the wish to deinterline 145, you really should think about sending a local branch to BPB/running all CPW expresses via Concourse express. 6tph is what they run up Concourse local today, and whenever I ride up there, I see lots of people riding the more-frequent (D) to an express stop and then backriding to their local stop so they can take advantage of the ~20tph that runs in the reverse peak direction rather than waiting around at 145 or Tremont for a (B)

The difference here would be that the concourse local service (A) would run express in Manhattan, so there would be no need to transfer from the diamond (A), instead folks can have a direct trip on the (A).

10 hours ago, Lex said:

Do you even ride these things or consider the areas they pass through?

Thank you for your comments. I am posting here to find out what issues they may be with this proposal, and where there is room for improvement.

The last time I was NYC was 2013. The first trip I did was from Penn Station to downtown Brooklyn on the (2) on a weekday evening. There was massive delays the whole way due to "congestion", and it was quite sad being stuck on the "express" tracks, while watching quite a few local (1) trains pass us by on the local tracks. To me, this was an indication that the current system is not working as well as it could. Having in-service trains stuck and delayed because they are all in each other's way seems like a HUGE waste of resources.

Having less lines does not mean less service or ridership. With fewer lines, resources can be re-allocated to better service those lines. The goal of this proposal is to reduce the delays due to "congestion". From what I have read, my experience on the (2) was not isolated, rather a very common phenomenon, and a major complaint with the network.

Cheers!

Operational details for my proposed  (4) / <4> Lexington express lines...  

Late Night (3 TPH):

• (4) 3 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (operates local in Manhattan and Brooklyn) 

Reduced (10 TPH):

• (4) 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av

Daytime (18 TPH):

• <4> 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (Operates express in the Bronx the peak direction)
  • (4) 8 TPH between Burnside Av and Utica Av

Peak (24 TPH):

• <4> 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (Operates express in the Bronx the peak direction)
  • (4) 8 TPH between Burnside Av and Utica Av
  • (4) 6 TPH between Burnside Av and New Lots Av

3 hours ago, drekroid said:

Operational details for my proposed  (4) / <4> Lexington express lines...  

Late Night (3 TPH):

• (4) 3 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (operates local in Manhattan and Brooklyn) 

Reduced (10 TPH):

• (4) 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av

Daytime (18 TPH):

• <4> 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (Operates express in the Bronx the peak direction)
  • (4) 8 TPH between Burnside Av and Utica Av

Peak (24 TPH):

• <4> 10 TPH between Woodlawn and New Lots Av (Operates express in the Bronx the peak direction)
  • (4) 8 TPH between Burnside Av and Utica Av
  • (4) 6 TPH between Burnside Av and New Lots Av

The only thing I can even say at this point is to check the schedules...

On 8/12/2019 at 12:21 AM, Lex said:

The bulk of these proposals either overserve (Brooklyn is in no position to require 12 (3) trains at any time) or underserve (6 tph during the day and 4 tph during the peak? Really?) the route.

The Bronx also gets shafted, and not just because of the loss of Lexington Avenue service (a poor move, given its popularity and the market difference, but I digress). At present, people up there get trains that run fairly frequently during most hours (with the exception of Dyre Avenue on weekends). Under this, not only does weekend Dyre Avenue service not change at all, but WPR in general loses a good number of trains (capped at 14 north of East 180th Street and 20 south of there, down from around 15 and 25 for the same sections, while weekends drop from 12.5 to 10 and days drop from a conservative 15 to a hard 12).

The goal with this proposal is to provide 24 TPH at peak times along the 7th Av Express line from both The Bronx and from Brooklyn. 

Since there is no yard at Flatbush, the peak trips (lets take AM for example) would start at New Lots Av, and end in Harlem at the Lenox Yard (there's no need to provide extra service to the Bronx in the AM). In the PM peak, these extra (3) trains would return to New Lots. 

The reason for only running 4 TPH on the (3) in the peak direction to/from 148th is to allow for the 20 TPH to/from The Bronx at peak times, since there is much more demand on the (2) branch. This would allow for the 8 local TPH for Nereid, along with the 12 express TPH (diamond (2)): 6 TPH for 241st + 6 TPH for Dyre Av

Overall, 7th Av Express would have the following headways:

• Peak: every 2~3 min (every 2~4 min to the Bronx)
  • Daytime: every 3~4 min (every 4~6 minutes to the Bronx)
  • Reduced: every 3~5 min (every 5~7 minutes to the Bronx)

In terms of the Bronx getting "shafted", just as I assume there are people on the Woodlawn line who need to transfer to the (2) for 7th Av, folks can also transfer from the (2)  / diamond (2) to the proposed (4) (Peak: every 2~3 min, Daytime: every 3~4 min, Reduced: every 6 min). I'm not sure what the big deal is there.

Cheers!

Edited by drekroid

52 minutes ago, drekroid said:

The goal with this proposal is to provide 24 TPH at peak times along the 7th Av Express line from both The Bronx and from Brooklyn. 

Since there is no yard at Flatbush, the peak trips (lets take AM for example) would start at New Lots Av, and end in Harlem at the Lenox Yard (there's no need to provide extra service to the Bronx in the AM). In the PM peak, these extra (3) trains would return to New Lots. 

The reason for only running 4 TPH on the (3) in the peak direction to/from 148th is to allow for the 20 TPH to/from The Bronx at peak times, since there is much more demand on the (2) branch. This would allow for the 8 local TPH for Nereid, along with the 12 express TPH (diamond (2)): 6 TPH for 241st + 6 TPH for Dyre Av

In terms of the Bronx getting "shafted", just as I assume there are people on the Woodlawn line who need to transfer to the (2) for 7th Av, folks can also transfer from the (2)  / diamond (2) to the proposed (4) (Peak: every 2~3 min, Daytime: every 3~4 min, Reduced: every 6 min). I'm not sure what the big deal is there.

Cheers!

Perhaps you are getting your information from a completely different source so let me correct you about demand in the Bronx IRT.  Rush hour demand s/b is Lexington Avenue oriented,  from Dyre and 241st, 238 Nereid. That's why those 14 Lexington trains are stored up there overnights  Those (3) Lenox trains you cavalierly denigrate serve a purpose which is to prevent the s/b (2) from becoming overcrowded  when entering Manhattan. Satisfy the demand.  It's not rocket science.  Carry on.

1 hour ago, drekroid said:

Cheers!

Long story short, the Bronx service patterns and train distribution are not favorable. Jerome Avenue sees more trains, but Lexington Avenue, Nostrand Avenue (sans nights and weekends, the latter of which has an inexplicable boost), and White Plains Road (to say nothing of the two Harlem stations the (3) has to itself aside from Brooklyn-oriented rush service and periods of much lower ridership) see fewer. In addition, (mostly) flipping the trains that turn at Utica Avenue, White Plains Road express service north of East 180th Street, Jerome Avenue express service in general, and giving Utica Avenue a whopping 36 tph (a full 75% of your proposed Brooklyn service) are all questionable, seeing how people normally ride.

19 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(3) provides passenger service for those traveling in Manhattan and bring some relief to crush loaded (2) from Bronx riders.

This has been said a few times now, but I smile each time, because the what I am advocating here is more service on the (2) to the Bronx (and a bit less service on the (3) to make room for those extra (2) trains). Right now, I'm seeing a mere 10~11 TPH at peak times on the (2). This proposal increases that to 20 TPH, so there should be no more "crush loads" with that level of service.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, Lex said:

Long story short, the Bronx service patterns and train distribution are not favorable. Jerome Avenue sees more trains, but Lexington Avenue, Nostrand Avenue (sans nights and weekends, the latter of which has an inexplicable boost), and White Plains Road (to say nothing of the two Harlem stations the (3) has to itself aside from Brooklyn-oriented rush service and periods of much lower ridership) see fewer. In addition, (mostly) flipping the trains that turn at Utica Avenue, White Plains Road express service north of East 180th Street, Jerome Avenue express service in general, and giving Utica Avenue a whopping 36 tph (a full 75% of your proposed Brooklyn service) are all questionable, seeing how people normally ride.

I'm not proposing any less service on Lexington, since the proposal increases service on the (4) / <4>  (Peak: every 2~3 min, Daytime: every 3~4 min, Reduced: every 6 min).

The reason for sending peak service trains to Utica and New Lots instead of Flatbush is because that is where the yard is. Sending too many trains down to Flatbush clogs up that corridor causing delays, and peak service trains would then need to head all the way back to a yard in the Bronx, because as far as I can tell, you can't get a train from Flatbush to Livonia without creating havock.

Cheers!

Operational details for my proposed (N) express + (Q) / (R) local Broadway lines...  

Late Night (6 TPH LOCAL):

• (N) 3 TPH between 96th St and Coney Island (Broadway local via tunnel) 
  • (Q) 3 TPH between Astoria and Coney Island (Broadway local via bridge / 4th Av local via West End line) 
  • (R) 3 TPH between 36th St and Bay Ridge (Shuttle operates express)

Reduced (12 TPH LOCAL + 6 TPH EXPRESS):

• (N) 6 TPH between 96th St and Coney Island (Broadway express via tunnel)
  • (Q) 6 TPH between Astoria and Coney Island (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge / West End line)
  • (R) 6 TPH between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge)

Daytime (16 TPH LOCAL + 8 TPH EXPRESS):

• (N) 8 TPH between 96th St and Coney Island (Broadway express via tunnel)
  • (Q) 8 TPH between Astoria and Coney Island (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge / West End line)
  • (R) 8 TPH between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge)

Peak (20 TPH LOCAL + 12 TPH EXPRESS):

• (N) 8 TPH between 96th St and Coney Island (Broadway express via tunnel)
  • (N) 4 TPH between 96th St and 59th St (peak service trains)
  • (Q) 8 TPH between Astoria and Coney Island (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge / West End line)
  • (R) 8 TPH between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge (Broadway local / 4th Av express via bridge)
  • (R) 4 TPH between Forest Hills and 59th St (peak service trains)

Notes:

• (N) operates express in Manhattan (except late night), local in Brooklyn, and uses the tunnel via Lower Manhattan at all times
  • (Q) serves West End line, operates local in Manhattan, express in Brooklyn (except late night), and uses the bridge at all times
  • (R) operates local in Manhattan, express in Brooklyn, and uses bridge at all times (except late night shuttle which serves Brooklyn only)
  • (W) discontinued 

Edited by drekroid

I could make some service changes:

(N) :

All Times 96 St/2 Av to Coney Island. Normal Weekdays Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn from 57 St/7 Av to 59 St. Weekends Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn.            Overnights all Local via Tunnel and 4 Av.

(Q) :

Astoria Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island All Times.         

Normal Weekday Express after 34 St to Canal St and over Bridge stop at DeKalb Av Brighton Line local.  Weekends local in Manhattan from 57 St/7 Av until Prince St, then stop at Canal St and over Bridge and stop at DeKalb Av. Overnights local in Manhattan until Prince St, then stop at Canal St and over Bridge stop at DeKalb Av and Brighton Line.

(W) :

service remain the same however more trains would operate to and from 86 St/Gravesend.

(R) 

service remain the same.

Edited by bwwnyc123

(3) Operate Weekdays full route. Weekends and overnight hours operate from 148 St to 42 St Times Sq.

(2) Normal Weekday and Weekend service is the same.

(4) Normal Weekday service from Woodlawn to Utica Av. Weekends and Overnights all Trains operate to New Lots Av local in Brooklyn.

(5) Normal Weekday service. Weekends all Trains operate from Eastchester Dyre Av to East 180 St.

Edited by bwwnyc123

This has been said a few times now, but I smile each time, because the what I am advocating here is more service on the (2) to the Bronx (and a bit less service on the (3) to make room for those extra (2) trains). Right now, I'm seeing a mere 10~11 TPH at peak times on the (2). This proposal increases that to 20 TPH, so there should be no more "crush loads" with that level of service.

It shouldn't make you smile, as the situation is nowhere near that simple.

First, what you're pushing for is a sharp decrease in service dedicated to Harlem ((3)) in one direction to increase the number of (2) trains in the same direction. Not only would that not fly with Harlem residents near the two affected stations, but the increase in (2) service is rendered useless because of the general decrease in Bronx service along White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue (individually and combined). To make matters worse, it's paired with a decrease in Nostrand Avenue service, and both the Bronx IRT and Nostrand Avenue have potential that isn't currently being realized and will be further from being realized under these proposals.

Current (2) and (5) headways in the Bronx lean toward a combined 25 tph, and while Dyre Avenue is not as popular, capping it at 6 tph is not conducive for either current ridership or any hopes of ridership growth (regular (5) service is more frequent on weekdays). (2) trains currently run at about 12 tph for the peak local, and the (5) is about 13-14. This proposal fails to even match the current Bronx service, and that's not a wise move. Hell, peak express service north of East 180th Street isn't justified, given the ridership patterns. On that front alone, this proposal is an utter failure. (The reverse-peak service is also bad for the same issue of reductions.)

I'm not proposing any less service on Lexington, since the proposal increases service on the (4) / <4>  (Peak: every 2~3 min, Daytime: every 3~4 min, Reduced: every 6 min).

Maybe my math is faulty, but last I checked, 14 (4) trains + 13-14 (5) trains is 27-28 trains, and 24 < 27 < 28...

The reason for sending peak service trains to Utica and New Lots instead of Flatbush is because that is where the yard is. Sending too many trains down to Flatbush clogs up that corridor causing delays, and peak service trains would then need to head all the way back to a yard in the Bronx, because as far as I can tell, you can't get a train from Flatbush to Livonia without creating havock.

The only route that constantly has to worry about Livonia is the (3). The rest of the Brooklyn IRT is dealt with in the Bronx. Any stations that require heading east of Nostrand Avenue (the street itself) will end up being grossly overserved (stations east of Utica Avenue already border on it, and Utica Avenue is where the (3) is fated to die, so long as people care more about express service and especially Lexington Avenue, hence why I say even that station is overserved). At the same time, Nostrand Avenue (18 tph with the (2) and (5)) will lose a full third of the number of trains along it, and with the greater ridership volume for every train along it in addition to the fact that Flatbush Avenue is ill-equipped to turn more trains, people on that corridor will get the short end of the stick for no good reason.

TL;DR: The bulk of the areas that need higher frequencies will get lower ones, and the ones that hardly need more service (Jerome Avenue is excluded because it warrants more service) will be flooded with unnecessary service. (Keep in mind that this strictly focused on some of the weekday service proposals.)

27 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

I could make some service changes:

(N) :

All Times 96 St/2 Av to Coney Island. Normal Weekdays Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn from 57 St/7 Av to 59 St. Weekends Express in Manhattan and Brooklyn.            Overnights all Local via Tunnel and 4 Av.

(Q) :

Astoria Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island All Times.         

Normal Weekday Express after 34 St to Canal St and over Bridge stop at DeKalb Av Brighton Line local.  Weekends local in Manhattan from 57 St/7 Av until Prince St, then stop at Canal St and over Bridge and stop at DeKalb Av. Overnights local in Manhattan until Prince St, then stop at Canal St and over Bridge stop at DeKalb Av and Brighton Line.

(W) :

service remain the same however more trains would operate to and from 86 St/Gravesend.

(R) 

service remain the same.

why not make it all the way express to 57th 

11 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(3) Operate Weekdays full route. Weekends and overnight hours operate from 148 St to 42 St Times Sq.

Might as well can it, then. /s

(4) Normal Weekday service from Woodlawn to Utica Av. Weekends and Overnights all Trains operate to New Lots Av local in Brooklyn.

Thanks, but no thanks. The (4) shouldn't have to deal with the Brooklyn slog on a regular basis when it's still needed in Manhattan and the Bronx.

(5) Normal Weekday service. Weekends all Trains operate from Eastchester Dyre Av to East 180 St.

Sure, let's kill Dyre Avenue, White Plains Road, and Lexington Avenue in one shot...

Edited by Lex

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Might as well can it, then. /s

Thanks, but no thanks. The (4) shouldn't have to deal with the Brooklyn slog on a regular basis when it's still needed in Manhattan and the Bronx.

Sure, let's kill Dyre Avenue, White Plains Road, and Lexington Avenue in one shot...

The (4) has already been operating to New Lots Av for the past number of weeks and still doing it. And (3) has not been going to New Lots Av for the past number of weekends and still doing it.