Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

Now, for some fun. I finally made maps of my various deinterlining ideas. 

Today's service 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HHNa2XqlrDKPIKUzpTJcyQbSndtbs1cM

What I'd do without spending any capital $$$

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yZcwJfjcO1tfYuttqW2lUuatAFvIaxuz

What I'd do with capital $$$

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15z4fvc1cfxxtY_ZhUbFex3jxgT0dt3lm

The general principles here are to minimize merges/maximize capacity while trying to preserve a maximum of important connectivity (so we deinterline CPW, but not Essex or Bergen), and on the no-$$$ map to try to jump for deinterlinings that can largely be achieved through low-effort swaps, ie (D)(Q), (F)(M), (C)(D). Nothing on here will be all that unfamiliar to those of you who've been reading my ramblings for a while, but I thought it'd be nice to see it all on one map. 

A quick question about the Lenox (S) in the last map, how would you turn it around at 135th without getting in the way of the (2)(3)?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Around the Horn said:

A quick question about the Lenox (S) in the last map, how would you turn it around at 135th without getting in the way of the (2)(3)?

You'd rebuild 135 -- move the s/b track to where the spur is, move the platform with it, and add a 3rd track alongside the western edge of the 135 sb plat for the shuttle. You'd have to build a bit of tunnel north to 142, but that should (?) be doable? 

27 minutes ago, RR503 said:

You'd rebuild 135 -- move the s/b track to where the spur is, move the platform with it, and add a 3rd track alongside the western edge of the 135 sb plat for the shuttle. You'd have to build a bit of tunnel north to 142, but that should (?) be doable? 

Would a 135th Street Station conversion be done in Phases or no?

NEW LIRR OR MNRR LINE:

Cross-City Line:

underlined means limited service

MAIN LINE:

• Grand Central (4)(5)(6)<6>(7)<7>(S)
    • via East Side Access
  • Queensbridge (F)
    • new lower level station, limited service, then via LIRR Main Line
  • Woodside (7)<7>
  • Elmhurst (new station) Cross-City Line Triboro Branch
    • no track connections with Triboro Branch, after this station via Rockaway Beach Branch
  • South Forest Hills (Yellowstone Blvd)
  • Union Tpke
  • Forest Park (Myrtle Av)
  • Woodhaven (Jamaica Av) (J)(Z)
  • Woodhaven Jct. (Atlantic Av) Cross-City Line Atlantic Branch
    • full track junction with Atlantic Branch
  • Ozone Park (Liberty Av) (A)
  • Howard Beach - JFK (A)(JFK)
    • most trains terminate here, select trains continue to Rockaway Park
  • Broad Channel (A)(S)
    • all (S) stops to Beach 116 St
  • Beach 116 St (A)(S)

TRIBORO BRANCH:

ENTIRE LINE on Bay Ridge Branch and Fremont Sub/NE Corridor

• Brooklyn Army Terminal
  • Bensonhurst (New Utrecht Av) (D)(N)
  • Mapleton (McDonald Av) (F)
  • Midwood (E 16 St) (Q)
  • Brooklyn College (2)(5)
  • East Flatbush (Utica Av)
  • Canarsie (Remsen Av)
  • East New York (L) Cross-City Line Atlantic Branch
  • Bushwick (Wilson Av) (L)
  • Ridgewood (Myrtle Av)
  • Middle Village (M)
  • Elmhurst South (57 Av)
  • Elmhurst Cross-City Line Main Line
  • Jackson Heights (E)(F)(M)(R)(7)
  • Woodside North (31 Av)
  • Astoria East (45 St)
  • Astoria (N)(W)
  • Randalls Island
  • Port Morris
  • line continues on as East Bronx Branch and West Bronx Branch

ATLANTIC BRANCH:

ENTIRE LINE on LIRR Atlantic Branch

• Atlantic Terminal (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)
  • Nostrand Av (A)(C)
  • East New York (L) Cross-City Line Triboro Branch
  • Woodhaven Jct. Cross-City Line Main Line
  • Jamaica (E)(J)(Z)(JFK)

WEST BRONX BRANCH:

• line comes from Brooklyn as Triboro Branch
  • Port Morris
    • via Oak Point Link
  • 149 St - The Hub & Harlem (2)(3)(4)(5)
  • Highbridge (Depot Pl)
    • via MNRR Hudson Line
  • Morris Heights
  • University Heights
  • Marble Hill (1)
  • Spuyten Duyvil
  • Riverdale Cross-City Line West Side Branch
    • some trains terminate on the side track at Riverdale, some trains terminate on the NB local track.

EAST BRONX BRANCH:

• Port Morris
    • via NE Corridor
  • Hunts Point (Hunts Point Av) (6)<6>
  • Soundview (177 St)
  • Parkchester (White Plains Rd)
  • Morris Park - Yeshiva University
  • Co-Op City - Palmer Av
    • terminates on a new track at Co-Op City.

WEST SIDE BRANCH:

• Riverdale Cross-City Line West Bronx Branch
    • via Amtrak West Side Line
  • Inwood (Dyckman St) (A)
  • Washington Heights (181 St)
  • Hamilton Heights (158 St)
  • West Harlem (125 St) (1)
  • Upper West Side (96 St) (1)(2)(3)
  • Riverside South (70 St)
  • Hells Kitchen (49 St)
  • Penn Station (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(NJT)

Thoughts @RR503 @bobtehpanda @Union Tpke?

Edited by Jova42R

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Sounds good to me...

14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

But why bother doing it if the buses can fill the gap fairly easily? Either have through-run service or get rid of it entirely, but this will do no one any favors, especially since it fails to address any of the factors that keep the others around.

Speaking of questionable investments, why bother building a northbound flyover for Dyre Avenue if the express service starts/ends in Wakefield? Last I checked, there are switches north of where the existing southbound flyover joins, and your (investment) plan calls for night service to/from Manhattan on both branches. (If it's actually a mistake, then I won't force the issue, but if it's not, then I'll need a good explanation.)

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

But why bother doing it if the buses can fill the gap fairly easily? Either have through-run service or get rid of it entirely, but this will do no one any favors, especially since it fails to address any of the factors that keep the others around.

You need to preserve rail up there for yard access — you're going to need that put in capacity if you want to deinterline Nostrand without blowing your ops budget. If you’re going to have rail up there, you may as well have a shuttle. It’s not perfect by any standard, but it’s politically better than nothing, and should be relatively cheap to operate. 

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

Speaking of questionable investments, why bother building a northbound flyover for Dyre Avenue if the express service starts/ends in Wakefield? Last I checked, there are switches north of where the existing southbound flyover joins, and your (investment) plan calls for night service to/from Manhattan on both branches. (If it's actually a mistake, then I won't force the issue, but if it's not, then I'll need a good explanation.)

A mistake — cut the flyovers. As you can tell, this went through many iterations before I was happy with it; originally I had (3) express and (2) local, but decided that it’d likely be mighty difficult to justify such a significant investment when a zero cost alternative that had the same operational impact existed. I’m very open to arguments the other way, but that was my reasoning. 

Edited by RR503

22 hours ago, RR503 said:

It would, and in a perfect world I'd do just that. But I was trying to keep the list of things there to things I could actually see happening, so Burnside switches it is! 

(Also, demand growth in the Bronx is concentrated in the southern portion of the borough. Don't know if we necessarily want to be running 30tph+ that far north)

Understood. Increases on corridors like this would go great with upzoning.

23 hours ago, RR503 said:

I'd prefer to see the (M) given that the (R) is already a bit of a mess, but given the blowback experienced on a certain pilot because we were replacing 10 cars with 8, I figured that may be a price worth paying. It's not a decision I have any strong feelings about, though. 

You could work it like that, but there's also a capacity problem. Both the (N) and (R) run 10tph peak into Manhattan from Brooklyn -- you can't merge those both into Astoria with current terminal infrastructure. You could run more 96 St (N)s, but then it becomes harder to manage yards. There's a similar issue with Queens, the (R)'s 10tph can't all turn at Whitehall, so you're either stuck with an ugly mainline discharge at Canal or an extension to Brooklyn, at which point we're basically back where we're started. The nice thing about the (W) is it's a low frequency overlay that's easily adjustable into capacity gaps. I think it's best we keep it that way, and if we're really worried about the (R)'s length, extend the (M) instead.

Even managing to terminate a few trains at Canal Street could help a bit. How many do you think could be terminated there without screwing up service?

17 hours ago, RR503 said:

You could, but again, I'm aiming for investments that could concievably get done by the MTA in this day and age. I also am still somewhat unconvinced that this specific project should be a priority -- it'd be $$$ for a nontrivial operations gain, but only a small capacity gain. 

If you reconfigured it a bit (ie abandoned 4 tk and used M and 3 only) you could probably extend the western island. Then you'd just need to signal it properly... It's something I'd like to see looked at, though only if it's found that CBTC cannot fix the curve issue. 

Agreed, but the map is aspirational. How many TPH do you think could terminate at City Hall LL?

14 hours ago, RR503 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the shuttle track be in the middle so riders heading to 145th or 148th can get an easy cross-platform transfer from trains heading uptown?

Regarding BMT City Hall's lower level, I've always wondered about it myself- didn't some BMT Broadway trains go in and out of service at Canal Street in the '90s? Used to see trains laid up on the center tracks between the two stations all the time back in 1999-2000. 

7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Even managing to terminate a few trains at Canal Street could help a bit. How many do you think could be terminated there without screwing up service?

Maybe a 3-4 per hour? But even then isn't good -- the second you start turning trains there, you're going to cause irregular gaps in through-running service unless you're efficient. Which they aren't. 

Agreed, but the map is aspirational. How many TPH do you think could terminate at City Hall LL?

There's aspirational and then there's ~aspirational~ though, and given that I'm not convinced of that project's relative merit...

A stub end terminal with meh crossover placement? With CBTC, idk, 18tph? Which is more than you'd ever need. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the shuttle track be in the middle so riders heading to 145th or 148th can get an easy cross-platform transfer from trains heading uptown?

Would be nice, but that means grade separating the junction. Don't think that's an easily justifiable investment. 

5 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Regarding BMT City Hall's lower level, I've always wondered about it myself- didn't some BMT Broadway trains go in and out of service at Canal Street in the '90s? Used to see trains laid up on the center tracks between the two stations all the time back in 1999-2000. 

Up until spring 2018, there were (W)s that entered service at Canal/Tunnel at 7:55 and 17:24. I don't _believe_ we schedule trains to lay up there outside supplements anymore (though don't quote me on that, I'm just skimming schedules and there may be deadheads from DIT), but it's certainly a known move for the agency. In years past, you're right that there were even more such trains -- in 1991, 4 (N)s and some number of (R)s entered service there for the AM rush. 

22 hours ago, Jova42R said:

NEW LIRR OR MNRR LINE:

Cross-City Line:

underlined means limited service

MAIN LINE:

• Grand Central (4)(5)(6)<6>(7)<7>(S)
    • via East Side Access
  • Queensbridge (F)
    • new lower level station, limited service, then via LIRR Main Line
  • Woodside (7)<7>
  • Elmhurst (new station) Cross-City Line Triboro Branch
    • no track connections with Triboro Branch, after this station via Rockaway Beach Branch
  • South Forest Hills (Yellowstone Blvd)
  • Union Tpke
  • Forest Park (Myrtle Av)
  • Woodhaven (Jamaica Av) (J)(Z)
  • Woodhaven Jct. (Atlantic Av) Cross-City Line Atlantic Branch
    • full track junction with Atlantic Branch
  • Ozone Park (Liberty Av) (A)
  • Howard Beach - JFK (A)(JFK)
    • most trains terminate here, select trains continue to Rockaway Park
  • Broad Channel (A)(S)
    • all (S) stops to Beach 116 St
  • Beach 116 St (A)(S)

TRIBORO BRANCH:

ENTIRE LINE on Bay Ridge Branch and Fremont Sub/NE Corridor

• Brooklyn Army Terminal
  • Bensonhurst (New Utrecht Av) (D)(N)
  • Mapleton (McDonald Av) (F)
  • Midwood (E 16 St) (Q)
  • Brooklyn College (2)(5)
  • East Flatbush (Utica Av)
  • Canarsie (Remsen Av)
  • East New York (L) Cross-City Line Atlantic Branch
  • Bushwick (Wilson Av) (L)
  • Ridgewood (Myrtle Av)
  • Middle Village (M)
  • Elmhurst South (57 Av)
  • Elmhurst Cross-City Line Main Line
  • Jackson Heights (E)(F)(M)(R)(7)
  • Woodside North (31 Av)
  • Astoria East (45 St)
  • Astoria (N)(W)
  • Randalls Island
  • Port Morris
  • line continues on as East Bronx Branch and West Bronx Branch

ATLANTIC BRANCH:

ENTIRE LINE on LIRR Atlantic Branch

• Atlantic Terminal (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)
  • Nostrand Av (A)(C)
  • East New York (L) Cross-City Line Triboro Branch
  • Woodhaven Jct. Cross-City Line Main Line
  • Jamaica (E)(J)(Z)(JFK)

WEST BRONX BRANCH:

• Port Morris
    • via Oak Point Link
  • 149 St - The Hub & Harlem (2)(3)(4)(5)
  • Highbridge (Depot Pl)
    • via MNRR Hudson Line
  • Morris Heights
  • University Heights
  • Marble Hill (1)
  • Spuyten Duyvil
  • Riverdale Cross-City Line West Side Branch
    • some trains terminate on the side track at Riverdale, some trains terminate on the NB local track.

EAST BRONX BRANCH:

• Port Morris
    • via NE Corridor
  • Hunts Point (Hunts Point Av) (6)<6>
  • Soundview (177 St)
  • Parkchester (White Plains Rd)
  • Morris Park - Yeshiva University
  • Co-Op City - Palmer Av
    • terminates on a new track at Co-Op City.

WEST SIDE BRANCH:

• Riverdale Cross-City Line West Bronx Branch
    • via Amtrak West Side Line
  • Inwood (Dyckman St) (A)
  • Washington Heights (181 St)
  • Hamilton Heights (158 St)
  • West Harlem (125 St) (1)
  • Upper West Side (96 St) (1)(2)(3)
  • Riverside South (70 St)
  • Hells Kitchen (49 St)
  • Penn Station (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(NJT)

Thoughts @RR503 @bobtehpanda @Union Tpke?

One note on the West Side Branch: The Spuyten Duyvil Bridge would be rebuilt, and all stations would be on sidings on both sides so Amtrak trains can pass through without quadruple-tracking the whole Freedom Tunnel (it would be double-tracked from 41 St south.

Any thoughts @RR503 @Union Tpke @bobtehpanda?

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

One note on the West Side Branch: The Spuyten Duyvil Bridge would be rebuilt, and all stations would be on sidings on both sides so Amtrak trains can pass through without quadruple-tracking the whole Freedom Tunnel (it would be double-tracked from 41 St south.

Any thoughts @RR503 @Union Tpke @bobtehpanda?

I don't really care to be tagged.

Reviving the Lower Montauk as some hotshot main line is a waste of time and money. The rest of this just seems like crayoning for the sake of crayoning. Who's supposed to ride this?

Just now, bobtehpanda said:

I don't really care to be tagged.

Reviving the Lower Montauk as some hotshot main line is a waste of time and money. The rest of this just seems like crayoning for the sake of crayoning. Who's supposed to ride this?

Sorry for tagging. The Lower Montauk is NOT part of the Cross-City Line, however. I thought that it could be, but decided against it, for the reasons you mentioned here and earlier. I do think, however that with the right service patterns, you could easily have ridership. Thoughts on what service patterns?

10 hours ago, RR503 said:

Maybe a 3-4 per hour? But even then isn't good -- the second you start turning trains there, you're going to cause irregular gaps in through-running service unless you're efficient. Which they aren't. 

There's aspirational and then there's ~aspirational~ though, and given that I'm not convinced of that project's relative merit...

A stub end terminal with meh crossover placement? With CBTC, idk, 18tph? Which is more than you'd ever need. 

Would be nice, but that means grade separating the junction. Don't think that's an easily justifiable investment. 

Up until spring 2018, there were (W)s that entered service at Canal/Tunnel at 7:55 and 17:24. I don't _believe_ we schedule trains to lay up there outside supplements anymore (though don't quote me on that, I'm just skimming schedules and there may be deadheads from DIT), but it's certainly a known move for the agency. In years past, you're right that there were even more such trains -- in 1991, 4 (N)s and some number of (R)s entered service there for the AM rush. 

In about 2014 or so I was on an (R) that terminated at Canal Street.

18 hours ago, RR503 said:

In about 2014 or so I was on an (R) that terminated at Canal Street.

Yeah it would make sense, especially back in the late-'90s/early-'00s considering the bridge tracks were out- sending all (N) trains through the tunnel with the (R) during rush hour would've been a mess I suspect. 

Edited by R10 2952
confused canal-nassau w/ canal-broadway

:RR: Rockaway Beach Branch / QBL Express / 63 St Express / 8 Av Local

Under this plan, the (M) is rerouted to go to 96th St at all times, and the (F) runs local from on QBL.

So, QBL would be:

(E):RR: EXPRESS

(F)(R) LOCAL

• Howard Beach-JFK (A)(JFK)
    • terminates on the middle tracks, station rebuilt
  • Liberty Av (A)
    • connection to Rockaway Blvd, via Rockaway Beach Branch after here
  • Atlantic Av
  • Jamaica Av (J)(Z)
    • connection to Woodhaven Blvd
  • Myrtle Av - Forest Park
  • Union Tpke
  • Yellowstone Blvd - South Forest Hills
  • Alderton St - Rego Park
  • 62 Av/Austin St
  • Woodhaven Blvd (E)(F)(R)
    • rebuilt as a fully express station
  • Jackson Heights (E)(F)(R)(7)
    • at the 36 St Junction, the :RR: connects with the lower level 63 St tracks, and runs express to Lex-63
  • Lex-63 (F)(Q)
    • merges with (Q) tracks, then a new station at
  • 5 Av
    • then, via a new tunnel under 63 St to:
  • Central Park W (1)(A)(B)(C)(D)
    • connection to 59 St, merges with (B)(C) tracks, then makes all (B)(C) stops to 145 St.
  • 145 St (A)(B)(C)(D)

I think this would be the best service plan we could get out before 2050:

(T) from Fordham Road - Coney Island via 3rd Ave, 2nd Ave, Manhattan Bridge North tracks, Brighton Local

(V) from Jamaica 179th - Brighton Beach via Hillside, Bypass, 2nd Ave, MB North, Brighton Express

(B)(D) service is diverted towards Williamsburg and (J) service runs between Essex Street - Bay Ridge, rush hours a few trips make it to Atlantic Ave on the (L)

(R) service now runs on fulton Local with (R) going from Euclid Ave - LGA

(J)(Z) elevated is demolished from Bway Junction to Cypress Hills with a new elevated on Jamaica Ave, serving (D) trains

Other basic de-interlining measures at Dekalb, Rogers, 145th (a (C)(D) north terminal swap is also added here)

On 3/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, RR503 said:

You could, but again, I'm aiming for investments that could concievably get done by the MTA in this day and age. I also am still somewhat unconvinced that this specific project should be a priority -- it'd be $$$ for a nontrivial operations gain, but only a small capacity gain. 

If you reconfigured it a bit (ie abandoned 4 tk and used M and 3 only) you could probably extend the western island. Then you'd just need to signal it properly... It's something I'd like to see looked at, though only if it's found that CBTC cannot fix the curve issue. 

What would be the maximum estimated capacity of the Broadway Line between City Hall and Cortlandt Street, with and without CBTC?

2 minutes ago, P3F said:

What would be the maximum estimated capacity of the Broadway Line between City Hall and Cortlandt Street, with and without CBTC?

Without CBTC 21 TPH. If done right, 30 TPH should be possible with CBTC.

Edited by Union Tpke

5 minutes ago, P3F said:

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Without CBTC 21 TPH. If done right, 30 TPH should be possible with CBTC.

What UT said. The only equivocation I'd make rel. CBTC and capacity is that current NYCT CBTC architecture locks trains out of stations until the train in front is fully clear of the platform. Doesn't make a huge difference on stations where the leader can exit quickly, but at Cordlandt and City Hall (especially City Hall, given entrance speeds there are also slow)  you'll need that ability to achieve full capacity. 

Edited by RR503

58 minutes ago, RR503 said:

What UT said. The only equivocation I'd make rel. CBTC and capacity is that current NYCT CBTC architecture locks trains out of stations until the train in front is fully clear of the platform. Doesn't make a huge difference on stations where the leader can exit quickly, but at Cordlandt and City Hall (especially City Hall, given entrance speeds there are also slow)  you'll need that ability to achieve full capacity. 

While we are on the subject of issues with NYCT CBTC, how do you think the problem with CBTC and interlockings could be remedied? Is this an issue with other systems? I doubt it considering that 36 TPH can be run on the Victoria Line, which has several trains short-turn.

2 hours ago, Jova42R said:

:RR: Rockaway Beach Branch / QBL Express / 63 St Express / 8 Av Local

Under this plan, the (M) is rerouted to go to 96th St at all times, and the (F) runs local from on QBL.

So, QBL would be:

(E):RR: EXPRESS

(F)(R) LOCAL

• Howard Beach-JFK (A)(JFK)
    • terminates on the middle tracks, station rebuilt
  • Liberty Av (A)
    • connection to Rockaway Blvd, via Rockaway Beach Branch after here
  • Atlantic Av
  • Jamaica Av (J)(Z)
    • connection to Woodhaven Blvd
  • Myrtle Av - Forest Park
  • Union Tpke
  • Yellowstone Blvd - South Forest Hills

Up until this point, this proposal makes sense.

• Alderton St - Rego Park
  • 62 Av/Austin St
  • Woodhaven Blvd (E)(F)(R)
    • rebuilt as a fully express station

While I [somewhat] agree with rebuilding Woodhaven Blvd into an express station, I can not see this coming into fruition. Connecting the RBB to the QB Local tracks (while a contradiction to your proposal) would be a lot easier and you’d save more money.

• Jackson Heights (E)(F)(R)(7)
    • at the 36 St Junction, the :RR: connects with the lower level 63 St tracks, and runs express to Lex-63
  • Lex-63 (F)(Q)
    • merges with (Q) tracks, then a new station at
  • 5 Av
    • then, via a new tunnel under 63 St to:
  • Central Park W (1)(A)(B)(C)(D)
    • connection to 59 St, merges with (B)(C) tracks, then makes all (B)(C) stops to 145 St.
  • 145 St (A)(B)(C)(D)

My critique with this is that the Lower Levels of the 63rd Street tunnel is strictly for the LIRR. So already that’s a challenge to deal with. Also, after 5th Avenue, you’re basically boring a tunnel under neath Central Park. I personally think that building the infrastructure for this new line isn’t worth it. Though. I guess it doesn’t hurt to dream. I person like to stay as realistic as possible to be honest.

I also guess that this means that both you and I have very different visions with how Transit should be expanded. 

1 hour ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

I think this would be the best service plan we could get out before 2050:

(T) from Fordham Road - Coney Island via 3rd Ave, 2nd Ave, Manhattan Bridge North tracks, Brighton Local

(V) from Jamaica 179th - Brighton Beach via Hillside, Bypass, 2nd Ave, MB North, Brighton Express

(B)(D) service is diverted towards Williamsburg and (J) service runs between Essex Street - Bay Ridge, rush hours a few trips make it to Atlantic Ave on the (L)

(R) service now runs on fulton Local with (R) going from Euclid Ave - LGA

(J)(Z) elevated is demolished from Bway Junction to Cypress Hills with a new elevated on Jamaica Ave, serving (D) trains

Other basic de-interlining measures at Dekalb, Rogers, 145th (a (C)(D) north terminal swap is also added here)

If we can get all of this built, then I agree with you 90%. The communities between Broadway Junction and Cypress Hills will fight tooth and Nail for their service. Whereas, not much is happening at Jamaica Avenue. So I’d say, you’re better off adjusting the curve outside Alabama Station. Consolidating the stops between Alabama Avenue and Crescent Street. Then get some eminent domain near the south end of the curve so that you can widen it. 

7 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Up until this point, this proposal makes sense.

While I [somewhat] agree with rebuilding Woodhaven Blvd into an express station, I can not see this coming into fruition. Connecting the RBB to the QB Local tracks (while a contradiction to your proposal) would be a lot easier and you’d save more money.

My critique with this is that the Lower Levels of the 63rd Street tunnel is strictly for the LIRR. So already that’s a challenge to deal with. Also, after 5th Avenue, you’re basically boring a tunnel under neath Central Park. I personally think that building the infrastructure for this new line isn’t worth it. Though. I guess it doesn’t hurt to dream. I person like to stay as realistic as possible to be honest.

My only thought was that since this could be used as a JFK "Express". If we kept the (A) as the main JFK line, then having it run QBL Local is fine.

Again, to save time for JFK users. It could just run via the (F). After Lex-63, though, it would run via the (Q) under Central Park, and then after 7 Av, it is only one more block to 8 Av. Would it be better to then run it via 8 Av Exp instead of CPW Local?

Thoughts now?

Also, any thoughts on the Cross-City Line proposal?

Edited by Jova42R

18 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

My only thought was that since this could be used as a JFK "Express". If we kept the (A) as the main JFK line, then having it run QBL Local is fine.

Again, to save time for JFK users. It could just run via the (F). After Lex-63, though, it would run via the (Q) under Central Park, and then after 7 Av, it is only one more block to 8 Av. Would it be better to then run it via 8 Av Exp instead of CPW Local?

Thoughts now?

Also, any thoughts on the Cross-City Line proposal?

I mean at this point. You’re better off reactivating the RBB ROW for the LIRR. You could run a service between Howard Beach and Penn Station. Then passengers could use the (A) and (C) to 59th Street-Columbus Circle.