Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

15 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Amsterdam is too close to Broadway north of 72 and I would say your stops parallel the (1) too much for the line to be that useful...

That's one reason why I wasn't enthusiastic about a new line along Amsterdam north of 72nd Street. Too much redundancy isn't a good thing.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

2 things:

Send the (M)(R) to 179 St with (F) trains running express.

Bring back the rush-hour (G)

That would be shot down so fast; they tried making the (G) train the night owl to 179 Street Jamaica when the (F) train ran to 21 Street Queensbridge, but that didn't last long. The (R) train to 179 Street Jamaica would be a non starter because they tried that during the first few years that the (E) train ran express at all times east of Continental. This was during the time the (F) train was also an express east of Continental, which was quickly shot down as well because they did not want the (R) train going to 179 Street Jamaica. As a result, the (F) train became the local east of Continental and the (R) train was cut east of there at all times. I don't determine it is feasible right now to bring back the rush hour (G) train to Continental because it was the service improvement work that permanently cut all (G) trains to Continental, even though Continental was the original terminal for the (G) train.

4 minutes ago, loveofelevators said:

Line: (G) Extension

Stations:

Queens Plaza: (E)(M)(R)

36 St: (M)(R)

Steinway St: (M)(R)

46 St: (M)(R)

Northern Blvd: (M)(R)

65 St: (M)(R)

Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av: (7)(E)(F)(M)(R)

82 St-Jackson Heights: (7)

90 St-Elmhurst Av: (7)

Junction Blvd: (7)<7>

103 St-Corona Plaza: (7)

111 St: (7)

Mets-Willets Point: (7)<7>

Van Wyck Expy: (7)

Flushing-Main St: (7)<7>

I really don't know how this would be feasible.

26 minutes ago, loveofelevators said:

Line: (G) Extension

Stations:

36 St: (M)(R)

Steinway St: (M)(R)

46 St: (M)(R)

Northern Blvd: (M)(R)

65 St: (M)(R)

Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av: (7)(E)(F)(M)(R)

82 St-Jackson Heights: (7)

90 St-Elmhurst Av: (7)

Junction Blvd: (7)<7>

103 St-Corona Plaza: (7)

111 St: (7)

Mets-Willets Point: (7)<7>

Van Wyck Expy: (7)

Flushing-Main St: (7)<7>

Why not send the (G) to Northern Blvd instead? That part of Jackson Heights could use some subway service. 

36th Street (via new outer tracks): (M)(R) 

48th Street-Sunnyside

Broadway: (M)(R) 

70th Street

80th Street

Junction Blvd

108th Street

Flushing-Main Street: (7) 

If I'm being real honest, I prefer this proposal for the (G) over rerouting it via 21st Street.

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

14 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Why not send the (G) to Northern Blvd instead? That part of Jackson Heights could use some subway service. 

48th Street-Sunnyside

70th Street

80th Street

Junction Blvd

108th Street

If I'm being real honest, I prefer this proposal for the (G) over rerouting it via 21st Street.

Hmmmmmm....

Line: (K)

Via Woodhaven Blvd

Via Junction Blvd

Via 94 St

(JFK) = AirTrain To JFK

Stations:

Rockaway Pk-Beach 116 St

Beach 105 St

Beach 98 St

Beach 90 St

Broad Channel: (A)

Howard Beach-JFK: (A)(JFK)

Aqueduct: (A)

Aqueduct Racetrack: (A) [Inwood-bound only]

Rockaway Blvd: (A)(F)

Atlantic Av

Jamaica Av: (J)(Z)

Myrtle Av

Metropolitan Av

63 Dr

Queens Blvd-Queens Center Mall: (Q)(R)

Corona Av

Roosevelt Av: (7)<7>

Northern Blvd

Astoria Blvd

LaGuardia Airport: (N)

Note #1: (F) rerouted via Fulton St Lcl to Lefferts Blvd

Note #2: (Q) replaces (F)'s 63 St line to Forest Hills-71

Note #3: (F) runs via 53 St line to Jamaica Center

Note #4: (E) runs via (F) to 179 St-Jamaica 

Note #5: (F) runs to Jamaica Center via (E) line.

Real Note #6: Connector from Rockaways to LGA Airport.

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

48th Street-Sunnyside

70th Street

80th Street

Junction Blvd

108th Street

Yeah I'd agree that the G is better off under northern instead of under roosevelt as the original proposal stated. And if people really want Crosstown-21st Street, they could use that one guys proposals to incorporate the crosstown (X).

2 hours ago, loveofelevators said:

Note #1: (F) rerouted via Fulton St Lcl to Lefferts Blvd

Note #2: (Q) replaces (F)'s 63 St line to Forest Hills-71

Note #3: (F) runs via 53 St line to Jamaica Center

Note #4: (E) runs via (F) to 179 St-Jamaica 

Note #5: (F) runs to Jamaica Center via (E) line.

Real Note #6: Connector from Rockaways to LGA Airport.

The F is running via Fulton Lcl is interesting, but whats serving the Culver? and unless you're proposing an expensive connection to the Hoyt-Schermerhorn lcl tracks or some deep flying junction below hoyt, this change might force to A/C/F to run at lower frequencies. Also, what's your motivation behind the F/E swap in Jamaica?

3 minutes ago, F O O L said:

Yeah I'd agree that the G is better off under northern instead of under roosevelt as the original proposal stated. And if people really want Crosstown-21st Street, they could use that one guys proposals to incorporate the crosstown (X).

The F is running via Fulton Lcl is interesting, but whats serving the Culver? and unless you're proposing an expensive connection to the Hoyt-Schermerhorn lcl tracks or some deep flying junction below hoyt, this change might force to A/C/F to run at lower frequencies. Also, what's your motivation behind the F/E swap in Jamaica?

Note #6: (C) run via the (F) to 2 Av

Note #7: (G) replaces (F) service to Coney Island-Stillwell Av

Real Note #8: Rush hour <F> service runs to 179 St-Jamaica via Fulton Exp, 6 Av Exp, Queens Blvd Exp and Hillside Av Exp.

Special Note #9: Late Night (E) trains run as a shuttle between Forest Hills-71 and 179 St-Jamaica via Queens Blvd Lcl.

Special-er Note #10: Late Night (F) trains run as a shuttle between Forest Hils-71 and Jamaica Center via Queens Blvd Lcl.

41 minutes ago, F O O L said:

Absolutely. Better yet, have the X terminate at the Ditmars (N)(W) terminal while the latter two services get extended toward LGA.

On 8/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Since optimizing the current infrastructure is more important than building new lines, I tried to make a map that combines all of the ideas discussed within the last 3-5 pages of this thread, please note that I used a large-scale deinterlined subway map as a template to present this "master plan" for the lack of a better term. I also did not prioritize any infrastructure upgrade in any specific order, so if anyone here is able to shed some light as to which upgrades should be prioritized over others, I would appreciate the help. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ph4tk1R3GC3cTK6q5zkAj2mYcKUvsdOl&usp=sharing

Your map is very impressive! How did you manage the individual colors for each line?

15 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

48th Street-Sunnyside

70th Street

80th Street

Junction Blvd

108th Street

I think (G) to Northern Blvd would be a good local train for some sort of Northern Blvd trunk line, maybe with the SAS as another local and an express

17 minutes ago, F O O L said:

While we're back on the topic of optimizing infrastructure, how's this proposal for re configuring the Myrtle Junction? I drew inspirations from various ideas online but idk if this has been proposed like this

Yea. It’s been done:

If you want to stick with your idea, there are 3 problems:

1. The existing ramp that takes the Myrtle Avenue mainline over the Broadway platforms starts at the intersection of Myrtle Avenue, Charles Place, and Willoughby Avenue. So that (M) platform’s westernmost point will be there.
  2. The (M) platform will be 800 feet (minimum) from the (J) platform going down Willoughby Avenue.
    • The dilemma for passengers who need to transfer will be: make a run for it down 800+ feet or hope that my train gets to the next station first so I can get off and transfer.
  3. Moving the Broadway platforms east makes it only 4~5 street blocks away from the next station east.

Line: (T)

Street Under Runninng: 2 Av, Lexington Av (Brooklyn), Pitkin Av

Stations:

125 St: (4)(5)(6)(M)

116 St: (M)

106 St: (M)

96 St: (M)

86 St: (M)

72 St: (M)

55 St: (E)(F)(6)

42 St: (4)(5)(6)(7)(S)

34 St

23 St

14 St: (L) (X) *grey like (L)*

2 Av: (C)(F)

Grand St: (B)(D)(Q)

Chatham Sq

Seaport: (A)

Hanover Sq

Court St

Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts: (A)(F)(G)

Fulton St: (G)

Bedford Av

Nostrand Av

Throop Av

Malcolm X Blvd

Gates Av: (J)

Halsey St: (J)

Chauncey St: (J)

Bdwy Junction: (A)(F)(J)(L)(Z)

Atlantic Av: (L)

Alabama Av

Van Siclen Av: (F)

Shepherd Av: (F)

Euclid Av: (A)(F)

Pitkin Yard-Linden Blvd

Edited by loveofelevators
Still Not Corrected

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

If you want to stick with your idea, there are 3 6 problems:

1. The existing ramp that takes the Myrtle Avenue mainline over the Broadway platforms starts at the intersection of Myrtle Avenue, Charles Place, and Willoughby Avenue. So that (M) platform’s westernmost point will be there.
  2. The (M) platform will be 800 feet (minimum) from the (J) platform going down Willoughby Avenue.
    • The dilemma for passengers who need to transfer will be: make a run for it down 800+ feet or hope that my train gets to the next station first so I can get off and transfer.
  3. Moving the Broadway platforms east makes it only 4~5 street blocks away from the next station east.

4. does not show any capacity for the M shuttle to relay. so long as the MTA insists it exists, it must be considered.

5. makes it harder for out of service train movements between the Myrtle El and East New York Yard to run. An OSS move would have to deadhead all the way to Marcy Ave to reverse... and if those switches are out, ether all the way over the bridge to Essex or wrong railing would be required. 

6. Removing J 3-4 (which in and of it self lands this idea the "James Rolfe 'What were they thinking' Award") removes the ability for the line to operate while track work it taking place. El lines can only be worked on during the day. Which means more weekend shutdowns of that segment, which makes point #4 more egregious. 

(1a. this would probably result in the closure of Central Avenue) 

Here are my proposals:

• Give the (B) the own express service, called the <B>, running express in the Bronx and in Brooklyn, to reduce crowding during rush hours.
  • During weekend rush hours, run the (B) via (Q) line service to 96th Street with the yellow (B) designation, and give the express variant, the yellow <B>.
  • Restore the <C> local service running from Bedford Park Boulevard to Euclid Avenue or Rockaway Park and operate as an additional rush-hour service in peak direction to supplement the (C) and reduce overcrowding.
  • Make the <F> stop at Bergen Street.
  • Extend the (6) and <6> services beyond Pelham Bay Park and terminate at Fleetwood Ave, with new stops at Kingsbridge Road, Sandford Blvd and East Third Street in the Bronx.
  • Rename an express service on the Sea Beach Line that runs from 96th Street as the <N>.
  • Introduce a green :8: to run as a skip-stop with the (4) during rush hours.
Edited by SampleOnly

12 hours ago, SampleOnly said:

Here are my proposals:

• Give the (B) the own express service, called the <B>, running express in the Bronx and in Brooklyn, to reduce crowding during rush hours.

That's redundant since the (D) Train already serves that purpose. In addition, the (B) already runs express south of 59th Street.

• During weekend rush hours, run the (B) via (Q) line service to 96th Street with the yellow (B) designation, and give the express variant, the yellow <B>.

Maybe I could get behind this but wouldn't this change force the (N) to run via Montague?

• Restore the <C> local service running from Bedford Park Boulevard to Euclid Avenue or Rockaway Park and operate as an additional rush-hour service in peak direction to supplement the (C) and reduce overcrowding.

Not sure how to feel about this one, If you were to swap the (B) and (C) above 145th, then deinterline 59th Street (making the (A)(C) express and the (B)(D) local) and schedule all trains to run to Bedford park, then this might work.

• Make the <F> stop at Bergen Street.

...Which'll require renovating the Lower Level

• Extend the (6) and <6> services beyond Pelham Bay Park and terminate at Fleetwood Ave, with new stops at Kingsbridge Road, Sandford Blvd and East Third Street in the Bronx.

No comment or opinion.

• Rename an express service on the Sea Beach Line that runs from 96th Street as the <N>.

Redundant

• Introduce a green :8: to run as a skip-stop with the (4) during rush hours.

I might be saying this because I'm not a fan of skip stop (given that I've ridden the (J)(Z) to/from school), but introducing a (4) (8) Skip Stop pattern is only going to make things worse along Jerome and Lexington.

Replies In Bold

Here's my idea for 50th St Crosstown (8) train to Flushing: 

Start at Hudson Yards (new station built under 10th Ave/34th St), then have stops at: 50th St/7th Ave (Transfer to (N)(R)(W)(1)), 50th St/5th Ave, 50th St/Lex (transfer to (6)), tunnel comes into Queens at 45th Ave and stops at Court Sq (Transfer to (E)(M)(7), Train then runs under LIRR to Woodside (Transfer to (7)), then follows PW Branch with stops at Broadway/Elmhurst Ave (Transfer to (M)(R)) and Junction Blvd and finally terminates under the Main St-Flushing LIRR station. <7> service would be discontinued. 

The first advantage would be Flushing, Woodside, Elmhurst and Corona getting bi-directional all-day express service.  The next big advantage is due to the connection at Elmhurst Ave,  the (E)(F) trains as well as the Roosevelt Ave station itself would see significant crowding relief.