Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

On 9/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Vulturious said:

This is actually not a bad idea. Essentially, this acts as another line on the East side of Manhattan which it desperately needs. However, it won't become a reality due to Second Av underway and we don't even know if that is going to be a thing in the next few years. It might be another scenario where the next phase isn't coming until another 100 years unfortunately. Although, I would like the MTA look into this.

Given how a subway on 5th Av wasn't done because of how it was (and still is somewhat) where the superwealthy and influential lived, I'm sure there's some line in the NYC rules, state law, or some doc that prevents one from ever being built.

Those influential folks always made sure that they never replied on promises or consideration when a law could easily be passed.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

man, this character knows how to use google maps... the nationalgeographic maps he drew in the bus section is a ploy to throw us off... He's a former member on here that's trying to weasel his way back into people's good graces... People on here posing as their own fathers to try to rectify matters... Goofy shit.

Thanks for the compliment 👌

2 hours ago, Armandito said:

Thanks for the compliment 👌

That wasn't any compliment of any sort.... That comment of mine was referring to the person you were responding to (New Flyer C40LFR a.k.a Jova42R a.k.a however many other handles he's got on this forum)....

Edited by B35 via Church

58 minutes ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I think that the subway to Staten Island should not happen, not because the people there think a subway would bring crime to Staten Island, but because Staten Island would bring more crime to the subway lol

LaGuardia Airport could certainly benefit from a subway link of its own that could be better than the ill-conceived AirTrain proposed by the governor. One earlier suggestion I posted a couple of days ago consisted of building a branch of the Crosstown Line along 21st Street and Astoria Boulevard to the Central Terminal, with transfers to the (E)(G)(M)(7) at 44th Drive, the (F) at 40/41 Avenues, and the (N)(W) at 31st Street. Since the line would run underground, it likely wouldn't attract as much criticism as the proposed (N) extension of the late 90s, given that the Astoria Line is elevated.

Edited by Armandito

12 minutes ago, Armandito said:

LaGuardia Airport could certainly benefit from a subway link of its own that could be better than the ill-conceived AirTrain proposed by the governor. One earlier suggestion I posted a couple of days ago consisted of building a branch of the Crosstown Line along 21st Street and Astoria Boulevard to the Central Terminal, with transfers to the (E)(G)(M)(7) at 44th Drive, the (F) at 40/41 Avenues, and the (N)(W) at 31st Street. Since the line would run underground, it likely wouldn't attract as much criticism as the proposed (N) extension of the late 90s, given that the Astoria Line is elevated.

I like this idea, but I would suggest bringing the 2 Av line up there as well with new tunnels connecting to the 63rd Street line

Edited by Bklyn Bound 2 Local

Just now, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I like this idea, but I would suggest bringing the 2 Av line up there as well with new tunnels connecting to the 63rd Street line

For this to work, the Queensbridge station on the (F) would need to be relocated to the other side of 21st Street not only to allow for the building of a transfer, but also to make way for a provisional SAS connection downtown via 63rd Street. (A track map would be uploaded soon.)

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

How many lanes of the GCP between the Bridge and airport are you taking to run your (G)?

Only the service lanes along Astoria Boulevard North and the GCP from Hoyt Avenue to 82nd Street would be used. Between 82nd Street and the Central Terminal it would run underneath the access roads within the airport.

By the way, the LaGuardia Line is part of my revised proposal for a new X train (not a (G) extension) between LaGuardia Airport and Brighton Beach. It would operate the following service patterns:

Weekdays from about 6 a.m. until 9 p.m.: between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Brighton Beach

Weeknights from about 9 p.m. until midnight and all weekend: between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Prospect Park

Late nights: shuttle between Bedford-Nostrand Avenues and Prospect Park. An (S) shuttle replaces X service between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Court Sq-44 Dr; use (G) trains for connecting service.

Link to the full route: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13I9vecZGJDpc7SIpyjtbMZdPGwJW3OaY

Edited by Armandito

1 hour ago, Armandito said:

Franklin-Crosstown connection:

ocSHtcz.png

Nice, although, I dont remember if people already talked about having the X run local on Brighton along with the (Q) if it is a good idea or not. There are a few ways I would have it, but because of how Brighton works, those ideas just doesn't really make sense and clutters.

35 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Nice, although, I dont remember if people already talked about having the X run local on Brighton along with the (Q) if it is a good idea or not. There are a few ways I would have it, but because of how Brighton works, those ideas just doesn't really make sense and clutters.

This would work best if there's a (B) and (Q) terminal swap, which means switching the local and express tracks via a flying junction at Neck Road or Sheepshead Bay. It would help increase terminal capacity at Brighton Beach in addition to providing one-seat express service to Manhattan on weekdays. Two versions are pictured here:

Version 1: zMrhkym.png

Version 2: fUYRR9D.png

Edited by Armandito

On 9/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, Armandito said:

Only the service lanes along Astoria Boulevard North and the GCP from Hoyt Avenue to 82nd Street would be used. Between 82nd Street and the Central Terminal it would run underneath the access roads within the airport.

Update:

The routing along Astoria Boulevard would run underneath the innermost two lanes along the Grand Central Parkway instead of Astoria Boulevard North. Within LGA, the route would mostly run underneath Runway Drive until reaching the southernmost end of the Central Terminal Building.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

If (MTA) rebuilt the shuttle without shortening the platforms, it would still be possible to make all Franklin Shuttle trains run local on Brighton, (Q) as express and eliminate (B), or (B) as express and run (Q) as 2Av  to Bay Ridge Local, (N) as B-way Express, and (W) or (R) as Whitehall to Continental.

Alas, that wasn’t what was done, and now we’re here with all those houses on and just off Franklin still standing and not suffering eminent domain lawsuits.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, Armandito said:

By the way, the LaGuardia Line is part of my revised proposal for a new X train (not a (G) extension) between LaGuardia Airport and Brighton Beach. It would operate the following service patterns:

Weekdays from about 6 a.m. until 9 p.m.: between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Brighton Beach

Weeknights from about 9 p.m. until midnight and all weekend: between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Prospect Park

Late nights: shuttle between Bedford-Nostrand Avenues and Prospect Park. An (S) shuttle replaces X service between LaGuardia-Central Terminal and Court Sq-44 Dr; use (G) trains for connecting service.

Link to the full route: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13I9vecZGJDpc7SIpyjtbMZdPGwJW3OaY

55 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If (MTA) rebuilt the shuttle without shortening the platforms, it would still be possible to make all Franklin Shuttle trains run local on Brighton, (Q) as express and eliminate (B), or (B) as express and run (Q) as 2Av  to Bay Ridge Local, (N) as B-way Express, and (W) or (R) as Whitehall to Continental.

Alas, that wasn’t what was done, and now we’re here with all those houses on and just off Franklin still standing and not suffering eminent domain lawsuits.

I do like the X route to LaGuardia Airport, but I do have concerns over routing the X to Brighton Beach. I feel like that would take away capacity for Manhattan-bound service on the Brighton local tracks, which would have to be sacrificed to make room for the X. Brighton locals (currently the (Q)) already have to switch from the center tracks to the outside tracks at Prospect Park. If a thru service like the X is introduced into the mix, then it will create a bottleneck at Prospect Park. Eliminating either the (B) or (Q) from Brighton and running the remaining service express while running the X local would clear that up, of course. But then that would require all Manhattan-bound riders boarding at Brighton Local stops to transfer at Kings Highway, Newkirk, Church and Prospect. 

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Intraborough locals were extremely unpopular. There is a reason why the period the (G) was the only QBL local was a very short period, and why the Fulton trains all go to Cranberry now instead of the locals terminating at Court St.

2 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I do like the X route to LaGuardia Airport, but I do have concerns over routing the X to Brighton Beach. I feel like that would take away capacity for Manhattan-bound service on the Brighton local tracks, which would have to be sacrificed to make room for the X. Brighton locals (currently the (Q)) already have to switch from the center tracks to the outside tracks at Prospect Park. If a thru service like the X is introduced into the mix, then it will create a bottleneck at Prospect Park. Eliminating either the (B) or (Q) from Brighton and running the remaining service express while running the X local would clear that up, of course. But then that would require all Manhattan-bound riders boarding at Brighton Local stops to transfer at Kings Highway, Newkirk, Church and Prospect. 

Let's face it, much of the B Division as it was built was designed specifically to allow for interlining, which could partly explain why there's been a lot of it happening with subway routes then and now. If deinterlining should be a priority, it's basically sacrificing one convenience for another in many respects. While track capacity would indeed be increased, it would inevitably come at the expense of many one-seat rides customers prefer today.

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Intraborough locals were extremely unpopular. There is a reason why the period the (G) was the only QBL local was a very short period, and why the Fulton trains all go to Cranberry now instead of the locals terminating at Court St.

I'd say the most successful of those types would be the (K), which started when the IND first opened and lasted in some form until 1999, well after it was folded into the (C). Even then, that's probably because it served Manhattan exclusively.

Court Street could've been more popular if it had more than an inconvenient shuttle service when it was actually used as a station.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

I'd say the most successful of those types would be the (K), which started when the IND first opened and lasted in some form until 1999, well after it was folded into the (C). Even then, that's probably because it served Manhattan exclusively.

Court Street could've been more popular if it had more than an inconvenient shuttle service when it was actually used as a station.

The proposed (T) would also be an intraborough route as well. It would indeed be very beneficial for the SAS to get extended via the old Court Street station (Transit Museum) to the Fulton local tracks, which means (C) trains could run express while the (A) becomes a Rockaways-exclusive route. 

Sadly, reality says this is wishful thinking...

2 hours ago, Armandito said:

The proposed (T) would also be an intraborough route as well. It would indeed be very beneficial for the SAS to get extended via the old Court Street station (Transit Museum) to the Fulton local tracks, which means (C) trains could run express while the (A) becomes a Rockaways-exclusive route. 

Sadly, reality says this is wishful thinking...

A lot of transit fans would be very unhappy about the Transit Museum