Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prepare for something amazing. Once I'm done with my NYC subway fantasy map, which will be released by next week, I will need you to observe every borough from Staten Island to Queens, point out the modifications that I made to the existing system, and something you like or don't like about it. Unlike previous NYC subway fantasy maps you may have seen online or in person, mine is 100% de-interlined which means that each subway route has a purpose. I hope to surprise all of you. Until then, share some of your proposals and I may consider them before next week. Hint: In my fantasy map, the 4th Avenue line feeds into Staten Island. 

Edited by ActiveCity

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, ActiveCity said:

Prepare for something amazing. Once I'm done with my NYC subway fantasy map, which will be released by next week, I will need you to observe every borough from Staten Island to Queens, point out the modifications that I made to the existing system, and something you like or don't like about it. Unlike previous NYC subway fantasy maps you may have seen online or in person, mine is 100% de-interlined which means that each subway route has a purpose. I hope to surprise all of you. Until then, share some of your proposals and I may consider them before next week. Hint: In my fantasy map, the 4th Avenue line feeds into Staten Island. 

Still working on the map?

2 hours ago, Reptile said:

Still working on the map?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bE-NgnA0sJF_A3za6ox1shNcfPp5Dl8&ll=40.69225730052739%2C-74.10695584755659&z=11

I'm not done with it yet, but here's what I've done so far. It's amazing because you've never seen anything like it before. Read my description on the map. I hope everyone can take a look at this and say wow.

20 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bE-NgnA0sJF_A3za6ox1shNcfPp5Dl8&ll=40.69225730052739%2C-74.10695584755659&z=11

I'm not done with it yet, but here's what I've done so far. It's amazing because you've never seen anything like it before. Read my description on the map. I hope everyone can take a look at this and say wow.

Hand over access

2 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

It's officially public. Here's the new link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bE-NgnA0sJF_A3za6ox1shNcfPp5Dl8&ll=40.730581762745274%2C-74.00968297443626&z=10 However, I am not done yet. I'm still making some revisions to these routes.

This is quite an interesting map. I won't say it's good, but I'm not going to say it's bad either. However, I'm quite confused with a few things that I noticed immediately and somewhat angry with some of these decisions because it doesn't really make much sense to me.

First thing that I'm going to point out is West End, not sure why a good portion of the line is just gone, but I'm even more confused and a bit angered with the line that replaced it. For decades, West End has had direct access to midtown Manhattan and also ran express while it was at. The (J) is not a good replacement for the line, on top of what already currently runs with a hit or miss (D) service, the (J) would basically be adding salt on wound to many riders including myself. I'm not even sure how one could manage to get the line running from in a way an underground line such as Sea Beach (even with it being open cut, it's still below ground level) to West End. It would have to be elevated towards ground level long before it makes it to New Utrecht Av. Even if it wasn't much of a problem to pull off, how exactly is it running to Sea Beach when there are no direct connections from the local tracks?

What makes this even more confusing is what's happening far north of South Brooklyn when the (J) re-enters into Brooklyn to run along South 4 St, how is that working? The area where the (J) is splitting from the (M) and (Z) is still pretty high with buildings in the way and still part of the bridge. This is definitely something that needs to be part of your revisions.

And speaking of elevation issues, the same thing is happening with the (F) when moving from McDonald Av running along Bay Parkway to the rest of Sea Beach portion. There's also the issue of a building in the way that'll definitely make this harder.

I personally don't care much about Myrtle Av Branch becoming part of the Franklin Av Shuttle, the only issue here is that it's running along Brighton, something I know for sure many riders along that line will greatly have issues with. I couldn't care too much about this either, the only issue is both the Franklin Shuttle and (B) trains terminating at Coney Island which will hinder both lines.

Outside of these though, it's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. There are some pretty clever routing going on, especially with 8 Av side of things. The (A) is moved to continue to run along Pitkin Av along with the return of the (K) by its side until the Rockaway Branch where both splits off with the (A) going back to its normal routing to Far Rockaway. The (C) and (K) should have their names swapped since the (C) has served along Fulton St pretty much it's whole life and making a return to the Bronx would be even more fitting, but that's just a nitpick for me. The (C) (which I'll call the (K) from now on) pretty much runs the proposed South 4 St line which also runs along Flushing Av and the LIE to Parsons Blvd. The (E) is pretty much the same with it going back to run along Hillside Av, but extended just a little passed the borders of Queens into Long Island for one stop. One thing that works well with 8 Av is both local and express are kept separate from each other even when going further towards uptown Manhattan along CPW. (A) trains continue to Inwood with (C) trains to the Bronx keeping both Bronx and Inwood riders having their direct express service. 

6 Av is kept the same for the most part with the exception of the (F) and (M)'s terminal changes, extensions, and swap. It's definitely interesting the (F) splits off from the (E) going south in Queens towards Cambria Heights. Even more interesting with (M) trains taking over the Archer Av branch going all the way to Rosedale just outside of Queens. I do wonder how well the (M) running to Atlantic Av is going to be from Broadway Junction.

Broadway is definitely an interesting case here, 2 lines are running to Staten Island both of which split off from each other before then around 59 St. With the station spacing between each route in Staten Island, it definitely decreases run time for both which should make it run more reliable hopefully. 

(L) to LGA, what more is there to say? It's a fun addition I think can work out, LGA gets direct subway service, west side of Manhattan gets a little more service along with a portion of Queens.

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

This is quite an interesting map. I won't say it's good, but I'm not going to say it's bad either. However, I'm quite confused with a few things that I noticed immediately and somewhat angry with some of these decisions because it doesn't really make much sense to me.

First thing that I'm going to point out is West End, not sure why a good portion of the line is just gone, but I'm even more confused and a bit angered with the line that replaced it. For decades, West End has had direct access to midtown Manhattan and also ran express while it was at. The (J) is not a good replacement for the line, on top of what already currently runs with a hit or miss (D) service, the (J) would basically be adding salt on wound to many riders including myself. I'm not even sure how one could manage to get the line running from in a way an underground line such as Sea Beach (even with it being open cut, it's still below ground level) to West End. It would have to be elevated towards ground level long before it makes it to New Utrecht Av. Even if it wasn't much of a problem to pull off, how exactly is it running to Sea Beach when there are no direct connections from the local tracks?

What makes this even more confusing is what's happening far north of South Brooklyn when the (J) re-enters into Brooklyn to run along South 4 St, how is that working? The area where the (J) is splitting from the (M) and (Z) is still pretty high with buildings in the way and still part of the bridge. This is definitely something that needs to be part of your revisions.

And speaking of elevation issues, the same thing is happening with the (F) when moving from McDonald Av running along Bay Parkway to the rest of Sea Beach portion. There's also the issue of a building in the way that'll definitely make this harder.

I personally don't care much about Myrtle Av Branch becoming part of the Franklin Av Shuttle, the only issue here is that it's running along Brighton, something I know for sure many riders along that line will greatly have issues with. I couldn't care too much about this either, the only issue is both the Franklin Shuttle and (B) trains terminating at Coney Island which will hinder both lines.

Outside of these though, it's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. There are some pretty clever routing going on, especially with 8 Av side of things. The (A) is moved to continue to run along Pitkin Av along with the return of the (K) by its side until the Rockaway Branch where both splits off with the (A) going back to its normal routing to Far Rockaway. The (C) and (K) should have their names swapped since the (C) has served along Fulton St pretty much it's whole life and making a return to the Bronx would be even more fitting, but that's just a nitpick for me. The (C) (which I'll call the (K) from now on) pretty much runs the proposed South 4 St line which also runs along Flushing Av and the LIE to Parsons Blvd. The (E) is pretty much the same with it going back to run along Hillside Av, but extended just a little passed the borders of Queens into Long Island for one stop. One thing that works well with 8 Av is both local and express are kept separate from each other even when going further towards uptown Manhattan along CPW. (A) trains continue to Inwood with (C) trains to the Bronx keeping both Bronx and Inwood riders having their direct express service. 

6 Av is kept the same for the most part with the exception of the (F) and (M)'s terminal changes, extensions, and swap. It's definitely interesting the (F) splits off from the (E) going south in Queens towards Cambria Heights. Even more interesting with (M) trains taking over the Archer Av branch going all the way to Rosedale just outside of Queens. I do wonder how well the (M) running to Atlantic Av is going to be from Broadway Junction.

Broadway is definitely an interesting case here, 2 lines are running to Staten Island both of which split off from each other before then around 59 St. With the station spacing between each route in Staten Island, it definitely decreases run time for both which should make it run more reliable hopefully. 

(L) to LGA, what more is there to say? It's a fun addition I think can work out, LGA gets direct subway service, west side of Manhattan gets a little more service along with a portion of Queens.

I demolished the section of the BMT Culver Line south of Bay Parkway to allow (B) train service to Coney Island. If you take visit the lower level platform of the West 8th St-New York Aquarium station, go to the east end of the station and you'll notice two abandoned trackways that once ran from Ocean Parkway to the lower level. In my proposal, these tracks will be reactivated for (S) train service. This will allow (B) train service to continue onto Coney Island on the upper level of West 8th St without merging with the (S) .

As for the West End line, I decided to eliminate the section from 36th St to 62nd St because it would be inconvenient for people who live south of 36th St just to get to Coney Island. For example, if you live in 59th St, and the (J) splits off at 36th St via the West End line, then you'll need to take the (W) to Ridge Blvd and transfer to the (X) , after that you'll need to transfer to the (J) at New Utrecht Avenue. In other words, you'll just end up transferring to multiple train lines just to get to Coney Island. If you're confused on where the Ridge Blvd station is, it's labeled on the map. The (X) is basically the Triborough subway line. Both are located just west of the 59th St station at 67th St and Ridge Blvd.

Edited by ActiveCity

Now that I've explained why it's absolutely necessary to demolish some portions of the BMT, I will also explain why (F) train service will be replacing (G) train service to Grasmere. I've read somewhere that Culver Express service on the BMT portion of the line is unpopular for passengers, I decided to take advantage of that and send the (G) to Coney Island instead of the (F) . Another reason is that the (F) will replace the former BMT West End line so that passengers can get direct access to Midtown Manhattan via the Culver express tracks. In addition, a new station would need to be built on the lower level tracks at Fort Hamilton Parkway on the lower level so that passengers can transfer to the (G) . Don't forget that this all takes place in the year 2167. Does this make sense now? I'm just making sure you understand what it is I'm trying to say.

Edited by ActiveCity

In order to get (J) train service to the IND-BMT South 4th St line, it will need to utilize the outer tracks. The platforms at Bowery, Canal St, and Chambers St would all need to be reactivated. In addition, a new side platform will need to be built at Essex St in the same fashion as the Atlantic Avenue station on the IRT Eastern Parkway line. These outer tracks will not be using the Williamsburg bridge and will not be sharing tracks with the (M) and (Z) trains. However, there will be crossover tracks in case of a reroute. Instead, these outer tracks will run under the bridge as a tunnel where it will then curve north to South 4th St under the East River. The (J) is supposed to meet up with the (C) from Havemeyer St to Parsons Blvd as a 4 track line. After Parsons Blvd, the (J) will run as a 2 track line. It is important to note that the (J) is express and the (C) is local.

Edited by ActiveCity

4 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

As for the West End line, I decided to eliminate the section from 36th St to 62nd St because it would be inconvenient for people who live south of 36th St just to get to Coney Island. For example, if you live in 59th St, and the (J) splits off at 36th St via the West End line, then you'll need to take the (W) to Ridge Blvd and transfer to the (X) , after that you'll need to transfer to the (J) at New Utrecht Avenue. In other words, you'll just end up transferring to multiple train lines just to get to Coney Island. If you're confused on where the Ridge Blvd station is, it's labeled on the map. The (X) is basically the Triborough subway line. Both are located just west of the 59th St station at 67th St and Ridge Blvd.

Now that I've explained why it's absolutely necessary to demolish some portions of the BMT, I will also explain why (F) train service will be replacing (G) train service to Grasmere. I've read somewhere that Culver Express service on the BMT portion of the line is unpopular for passengers, I decided to take advantage of that and send the (G) to Coney Island instead of the (F) . Another reason is that the (F) will replace the former BMT West End line so that passengers can get direct access to Midtown Manhattan via the Culver express tracks. In addition, a new station would need to be built on the lower level tracks at Fort Hamilton Parkway on the lower level so that passengers can transfer to the (G) . Don't forget that this all takes place in the year 2167. Does this make sense now? I'm just making sure you understand what it is I'm trying to say.

This still doesn't make nearly as much sense as you're trying to describe it because there's still chunks of areas that end up losing service entirely making it inconvenient for people other people anyway. Not even just direct service either, it just becomes a void, especially the empty Sea Beach section between New Utrecht Av and Bay Parkway. I just can't seem to understand how any of this makes any kind of sense when these areas have had service only to just lose them entirely.

At this point, I don't think I'm going to care nearly as much with what's happening between the (F) and (G) being swapped. It's more of me being confused on how the new sections are being built that has to account with the vast elevation difference along with certain buildings in the way. Although, with the new information you presented, I'm just more confused on what the (F) is supposed to be doing in South Brooklyn because it sounds like it's running to both Staten Island, but also not??? I think I'll just sit back down and let you finish this map before. Regardless, it's still for the most part outside of South Brooklyn pretty good.

Some ideas I've been working on 

(B)Bedford Pk Blvd or 145 St - Bay Ridge 95 St late nights shuttle from 95 St-36 St

(C) Weekdays only

(Q)Brighton Express

(R)Astoria Ditmars - Euclid Av via new track on Flatbush & Fulton

(W)Forest Hills 71 St Av- Coney Island via Brighton Local

(3) Runs to Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College replacing (5). Weekdays only

Weekends and Late Nights use shuttle bus or M7/M102 for 145 & 148 Sts

(4) To New Lots Av all times

(5) To Crown Heights Utica weekdays

2 hours ago, subwaykid256 said:

(B)Bedford Pk Blvd or 145 St - Bay Ridge 95 St late nights shuttle from 95 St-36 St

(C) Weekdays only

(Q)Brighton Express

At that point, just kill the damn thing and put it out of its misery.

16 hours ago, subwaykid256 said:

(C) Weekdays only

(Q)Brighton Express

Running the (3) weekdays only and closing 148 and 145 is a non-starter. Transit tried closing those two stations overnight and got blowback from the community over it and ultimately stopped closing the stations overnight (and extended the late-night (3) to Times Sq - which even survived the 2010 "Doomsday" cuts). Plus, it will result in severely overcrowded (2) trains on weekends. Just about the only way you could possibly get away with running both the (2) and (3) to Flatbush is if the plan to deinterline the Brooklyn IRT with CBTC studied in early 2020 were to be implemented. For more discussion, go here - https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/60024-8-train-coming-back

On 12/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, ActiveCity said:

It's officially public. Here's the new link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bE-NgnA0sJF_A3za6ox1shNcfPp5Dl8&ll=40.730581762745274%2C-74.00968297443626&z=10 However, I am not done yet. I'm still making some revisions to these routes.

I like the (7) extensions into NE Queens (would one of them be the (11) train?), but I've been angling for that ever since I moved there almost 13 years ago. Most of the Brooklyn stuff, I have to disagree with, as well as the (2) replacing the (5) to Dyre and having the (X) replace the (2). I honestly don't think those will be very beneficial to most riders.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Bad URL

On 12/7/2022 at 12:46 AM, subwaykid256 said:

(C) Weekdays only

(Q)Brighton Express

(B) is feasible, however, there is a reason the (R) shuttle was extended to Whitehall in the overnights.   Also, you would have to switch from the local track to the express track between DeKalb and Atlantic-Barclays, so that may make this a no-go.  There also is a reason the (B) is the Brighton Express.

(C) is needed on weekends.

(Q) can stay where it is as the Brighton Local.

(R) as I would do it would be moved to Nassau Street and become the <R> with Canal Street on the (J)(Z) rebuilt into the terminal station it actually used to be, but this time for trains FROM Chambers Street rather than the Willy B (something that could not be done prior to the 2004 construction that was done to make the current northbound track such as that used to be a terminal track southbound as there used to be a crossover at the south end of that station) with the northbound side reopened at Canal Street and The Bowery and the current northbound track being the primary terminal track for this <R> (nights and weekends extended to Metropolitan Avenue where it absorbs the late night and weekend (M) shuttles with such based out of East New York with in-service yard runs to/from Broadway Junction on the (J)(Z).  

(3) as noted by others is needed to run at all times at least to Times Square at all times and most other times to New Lots.

(4) and (5) run as they do now.

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

(B) is feasible, however, there is a reason the (R) shuttle was extended to Whitehall in the overnights.   Also, you would have to switch from the local track to the express track between DeKalb and Atlantic-Barclays, so that may make this a no-go.  There also is a reason the (B) is the Brighton Express.

(C) is needed on weekends.

(Q) can stay where it is as the Brighton Local.

(R) as I would do it would be moved to Nassau Street and become the <R> with Canal Street on the (J)(Z) rebuilt into the terminal station it actually used to be, but this time for trains FROM Chambers Street rather than the Willy B (something that could not be done prior to the 2004 construction that was done to make the current northbound track such as that used to be a terminal track southbound as there used to be a crossover at the south end of that station) with the northbound side reopened at Canal Street and The Bowery and the current northbound track being the primary terminal track for this <R> (nights and weekends extended to Metropolitan Avenue where it absorbs the late night and weekend (M) shuttles with such based out of East New York with in-service yard runs to/from Broadway Junction on the (J)(Z).  

(3) as noted by others is needed to run at all times at least to Times Square at all times and most other times to New Lots.

(4) and (5) run as they do now.

And I forgot the (W), which would now run Whitehall to 71st-Continental at all times while the (N) stays on the express track at all times to 57th and then merges with the (W) while late nights runs as it does now.  

These should be the [12] route stations:

Ⓜ️ Hunts Point Market-Food Center Drive <12>
Ⓜ️ Spofford Avenue <12>
Ⓜ️ Hunts Point Avenue <12>
Ⓜ️ Longwood Avenue <12>
Ⓜ️ East 149th Street <12>
Ⓜ️ East 141st Street <12>
Ⓜ️ Cypress Avenue-138th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Brook Avenue-138th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 3rd Avenue-138th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 125th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 116th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 110th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 103rd Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 96th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 91st Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 86th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 77th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 68th Street-Hunter College <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 59th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 51st Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Grand Central-42nd Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 33rd Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 28th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 23rd Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 18th Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 14th Street-Union Square <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Astor Place <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Bleecker Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Spring Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Canal Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Fulton Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Wall Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Bowling Green <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Governors Island <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Van Brunt Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Columbia Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Smith Street <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 4th Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ 7th Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Prospect Park <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Rogers Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ New York Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Albany Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Utica Avenue <12> (12)
Ⓜ️ Brownsville-Kings Highway <12> (12)

(B) Needs to be extended to the Bronx all day during its weekday run

So I personally find it pretty stupid that (B) only goes all the way to grand concourse during rush hours and midday evening (B) terminate at 145th street. The (D) alone isn’t enough to handle service. People on the grand concourse line have to wait at least 10 minutes for another (D) to arrive. Having the (B) extended to Bedford Park Blvd during middays and evenings would double up service in the Bronx as the headways would be reduced to 5 minutes encouraging more ridership at Grand Concourse. Seriously why doesn’t the MTA consider extending the (B) to Bedford Park Blvd to help out the (D)  

2 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

So I personally find it pretty stupid that (B) only goes all the way to grand concourse during rush hours and midday evening (B) terminate at 145th street. The (D) alone isn’t enough to handle service. People on the grand concourse line have to wait at least 10 minutes for another (D) to arrive. Having the (B) extended to Bedford Park Blvd during middays and evenings would double up service in the Bronx as the headways would be reduced to 5 minutes encouraging more ridership at Grand Concourse. Seriously why doesn’t the MTA consider extending the (B) to Bedford Park Blvd to help out the (D)  

So true. The Concourse Line was supposed to be built with 4 tracks, but instead it has 3 tracks. If It we're 4 tracks, then I can guarantee the MTA would send all (B) trains to Bedford Park Blvd.

1 hour ago, ActiveCity said:

So true. The Concourse Line was supposed to be built with 4 tracks, but instead it has 3 tracks. If It we're 4 tracks, then I can guarantee the MTA would send all (B) trains to Bedford Park Blvd.

4trackConcourse.png?width=968&height=676

4trackConcoursePart2.png?width=482&heigh

Decided to make an edit of what Concourse on a track map might have looked like, the only issue was figuring out how 8 Av and Concourse meet and split.

Service pattern would pretty much be the same as it is today only with (B) trains running to Bedford Park for the whole duration it's around with normal weekend and late night service of (D) trains running local by itself.

Was having fun with editing Vanshnook's track map and decided to make this monstrosity:

ConvertedFlushing4track.png?width=1391&h

I decided to convert the entirety of Flushing to B Division standards, as much as I would've liked to see A and B division trains running side by side, I felt it was appropriate to just convert. (U) (placeholder) would be running local the entire way with (W) trains making <7> stops all the way to Flushing running weekdays only. Queensboro Plaza expanded bringing back some of that old giant station that used to be there.

This definitely does not need to be a thing, this was just me screwing around having a bit of fun with the edits, although it would be very cool to see.

3 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

They'll probably use the lame ass excuse of the (B) not being a 24/7 route. It is such a shame that West End sees more service than Concourse on the regular, especially during the rush hour, and weekends. This also comes with the (B) becoming Concourse full time, with Coney Island storing (B)trains, just like how they currently do with the (D), and vice versa. This problem could be solved, with said above, running more service to the Bronx. It is not fair that Concourse alone takes 20 Minutes to do the whole trunk, yet it is being provided with such frequencies, which at times the Bx1/2 do better doing, than the subway itself. If MTA has to make the (B) a 24/7 route, or extend the service hours so be it. When Concourse Express resumes service, the (B) is going to be running the same frequencies, if not worse than it already is. In the long run, I do not support the (B) being CIY after the CBTC implementation, mainly on how service is crap on Concourse. 

Opinions on my upgrades from last time

The brown that runs through Central Park East are the Z and X trains, that go into the Bronx, and runs along Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn

posted on Wattpad so you don’t have to scroll past the images on here 

https://www.wattpad.com/1296311910-lololol-choo-choo-again

On 12/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, Amiri the subway guy said:

I think the (B) should run 24/7 service to & from Bedford Park Boulevard.