My NJ Transit Locomotive Roster

Eric Kreszl

Great stuff man!!

As i have suspected, it looks like (NJT) actually still has 3 old switchers.

- A

NJ Transit SW1500 locomotives #500 and 501 were sold to Larry's Truck & Electric company. Those 2 locomotives are no longer on NJ Transit Property. Those photos I took of the locomotives were before they were sold.

Eric

So what are the ones that are sitting at MMC and hoboken yard? I've seen on google earth & my own eyes more than one old switcher. Could they have purchased 2 without anyone knowing? There are hundreds still remaining of the sw1500 model....

Mysterious... :cool:

- A

So what are the ones that are sitting at MMC and hoboken yard? I've seen on google earth & my own eyes more than one old switcher. Could they have purchased 2 without anyone knowing? There are hundreds still remaining of the sw1500 model....

Mysterious... :cool:

- A

Those can't be SW1500s then. -_-

And if your looking on Google Earth, that doesn't count since lord knows from when the images are from. You probably saw something else and thought they were SW1500s. 502 is the only one remaining in NJT.

Those can't be SW1500s then. -_-

And if your looking on Google Earth, that doesn't count since lord knows from when the images are from. You probably saw something else and thought they were SW1500s. 502 is the only one remaining in NJT.

Yea, probably a different kind. I wonder if they had them on loan while the new ones were in shakedown?

- A

Yea, probably a different kind. I wonder if they had them on loan while the new ones were in shakedown?

- A

501 and 502 were long gone before the new switchers were even planned to happen. They just used more of the 4300s for switching moves, and other loco that were laying around available.

501 and 502 were long gone before the new switchers were even planned to happen. They just used more of the 4300s for switching moves, and other loco that were laying around available.

You will always see one of the GP40PH-2 locomotives performing some form of yard work somewhere. That's of course what they do at Long Branch and that's one of the advantages to the GP40PH-2 locomotives. You can pull them out of commuter service at anytime and use them for yard work.

Try doing that with a PL42AC, F40PH-2CAT, or GP40FH-2.:P

Eric

You will always see one of the GP40PH-2 locomotives performing some form of yard work somewhere. That's of course what they do at Long Branch and that's one of the advantages to the GP40PH-2 locomotives. You can pull them out of commuter service at anytime and use them for yard work.

Try doing that with a PL42AC, F40PH-2CAT, or GP40FH-2.:P

Eric

I guess that's why they got hood units for switchers. Increased visibility. Plus they are easier too fix than cowl units. :D

- A

I guess that's why they got hood units for switchers. Increased visibility. Plus they are easier too fix than cowl units. :P

- A

Yes but when you compare the MP20B-3 switchers to the SW1500 locomotives they had for the same purpose you can see in all directions inside a SW1500 while in a MP20B-3 in order to drive the locomotive backward you are better off driving a GP40PH-2 locomotive since visibility is the same. In other words the SW1500 locomotive has better visibility in all directions where a MP20B-3 is like driving a GP40-2 Backwards.

That's just my personal opinion of course.

Eric

Yes but when you compare the MP20B-3 switchers to the SW1500 locomotives they had for the same purpose you can see in all directions inside a SW1500 while in a MP20B-3 in order to drive the locomotive backward you are better off driving a GP40PH-2 locomotive since visibility is the same. In other words the SW1500 locomotive has better visibility in all directions where a MP20B-3 is like driving a GP40-2 Backwards.

That's just my personal opinion of course.

Eric

Of course! :P

I agree though, the raised cab w/ the shorter engine makes so much sense. I guess that's why many, many of those style switchers are still in use. How much can 502 haul vs the newer (NJT) work units?

- A

Of course! :P

I agree though, the raised cab w/ the shorter engine makes so much sense. I guess that's why many, many of those style switchers are still in use. How much can 502 haul vs the newer (NJT) work units?

- A

According to what I have heard so far. Little 502 can haul more than 1002.

Eric

Archived