What routes would you like (or expect) to see cut next?

The service cuts approved in November 2015 are implemented and NICE Bus service is fully restored from the blizzard now, so I figured I would start a seperate thread for this. Given the routes that remain, should NICE have any further budget deficits or receive less funding in the future, what routes would you like or expect to see cut or reduced next? Simple open-ended question as that. Please don't turn this into a proposals thread or anything like that.

I would expect the n47, as well as the n70 east of SUNY Farmingdale to be cut. The n19 might eventually be eliminated, given its proximity to the LIRR and the way they're reducing the frequencies.

The n25 on Sundays and n16 on Saturdays were originally proposed for elimination by the MTA. Not sure how likely that would be with NICE (the n16 was actually relatively efficient).

I don't see them cutting the n21, because of the way they have it interlined with the n27 (also, the whole thing about taking 3 buses to get to Flushing).

The n45 might stay to provide extra capacity along Uniondale Avenue.

I can picture the n36 being next on the chopping block. Given that they just blatantly eliminated the n50, n73, and n81, I wouldn't put it past them to leave the area with no alternative. However, given that there's a few apartment buildings in South Freeport, there might be enough ridership to extend a few n43 trips down to say, Baldwin Harbor, although that is unlikely.

To be honest I can see most of them that don't either go into Queens or serve as a vital connection getting cut one day. The higher ups in Nassau don't care about the transit system so neither do the people so in return no one uses the system and cuts happen. Imagine if the MTA constantly had buses that always broke down always going M.I.A, late and etc I don't think people would want to use the service. In the city we do have those problems but it is not as serve as Nassau. Why is it that in Flushing I can see Q12's showing up fairly on time every 7-10 minutes and you have the N20/N21 showing up whenever with a long line? The n20 the other day broke down before even pulling away from Flushing so the people had to wait even longer for the next bus to arrive. Nobody should have to put up with that.

At this point there is no hope for N.I.C.E bus. Unless the right amount of money is provided to run this system correctly I just can't see anything changing besides more and more cuts.

Interesting that all 3 of you said the n36.

Please elaborate on that. Reduce service or eliminate the route altogether?

I meant that the current setup with the n20G/H isn't going to last long, and that NICE will just replace that with the n20 to Roslyn, or east to C.W.Post. The trips to/from Hicksville are going to end at some point.

To be honest I can see most of them that don't either go into Queens or serve as a vital connection getting cut one day. The higher ups in Nassau don't care about the transit system so neither do the people so in return no one uses the system and cuts happen. Imagine if the MTA constantly had buses that always broke down always going M.I.A, late and etc I don't think people would want to use the service. In the city we do have those problems but it is not as serve as Nassau. Why is it that in Flushing I can see Q12's showing up fairly on time every 7-10 minutes and you have the N20/N21 showing up whenever with a long line? The n20 the other day broke down before even pulling away from Flushing so the people had to wait even longer for the next bus to arrive. Nobody should have to put up with that.

At this point there is no hope for N.I.C.E bus. Unless the right amount of money is provided to run this system correctly I just can't see anything changing besides more and more cuts.

Very accurate assessment.

I meant that the current setup with the n20G/H isn't going to last long, and that NICE will just replace that with the n20 to Roslyn, or east to C.W.Post. The trips to/from Hicksville are going to end at some point.

The split was done to avoid flushing problems and unreliability in queens.

Also the n57, the Kings Point tail of the n58, the Jericho tail of the n48, and the n21 (if they were smart they'd reroute it via the n27 to Glen Cove, the route as it stands is unsustainable north of Northern Bl)

I should note that I don't think things like the n70 and n48 truncations would actually require hearings, since the hours spent on those segments is far less than 25% of the total route hours.

It's already planned-N33 & N36 will be eliminated if more cuts happen.

Do you know what routes come after that in order of elimination?

Is it limited to those two for the next round of cuts or are those just two of several?

It can't be limited as it depends on the size of the budget gap when it happens. Those are just the next 2 should another budget gap occur.

No no not the n33

I always see long lines of people right by the library on Mott and Central waiting for the n31/32. Never quite see the same for the n33 despite it terminating in front of the A. I wonder if Beach 20th and Beach 21st Streets are slowing the routes down.

Might be but the n33 is an access route to long beach and the ONLY one that transverse Atlantic Beach and Long Beach

Many passengers use the n33 as a crosstown bus from Atlantic Beach to Long Beach and viceversa

Very very rare one would see a full n33 after the q113 terminus. ..but i would put this route as a 71 grading compared to a 84 on the n32

Things must have changed, because the n33 was a route that saw very little Intra-Nassau usage.... No, the route wouldn't fill up at the (A), but the pax. that did get on there almost always disembarked at Long Beach....

The way I always looked at the n33 is a way to get from the less frequent Long Beach branch to the more frequent Far Rockaway branch (LIRR)......

One option with the n33 is to eliminate it and extend some n32 trips to the Long Beach city line (for connection to LB City service)

Not going to work. Folks want to go all the way to the heart of Long Beach, which happens to be where the LIRR station is.

Not going to work. Folks want to go all the way to the heart of Long Beach, which happens to be where the LIRR station is.

Even though I agree with you, it's better than having to take the n31/32 to Lynbrook, for the n4 to Rockville Centre, for the n15 to Long Beach. I believe that the n33 should not be eliminated, but if it came to that point, I would do have something serve that area for connectivity purposes.

Even though I agree with you, it's better than having to take the n31/32 to Lynbrook, for the n4 to Rockville Centre, for the n15 to Long Beach. I believe that the n33 should not be eliminated, but if it came to that point, I would do have something serve that area for connectivity purposes.

The problem is that Nassau isn't willing to pay for an extension of the n31 or 32 to Long Beach, even if it made sense. Even though Nassau Dems have been complaining about the cuts, they haven't proposed ways to raise money for NICE until after the current cuts were made.

The problem is that Nassau isn't willing to pay for an extension of the n31 or 32 to Long Beach, even if it made sense. Even though Nassau Dems have been complaining about the cuts, they haven't proposed ways to raise money for NICE until after the current cuts were made.

N33 is a coverage connector route dropping that line would have terrible consequences unlike the elimination of the N80. They can merge N33 with N1 via nassau expressway and penninsula blvd or N15 or merge N33 with N36. N33 Far rockaway to freeport via Long beach shall be the designation. I think that would be the best merge and benefit the most people and have more connection opportunities than having the N15 go to far rockaway or N33 be absorbed into the N1. MIDI smaller buses should be considered for the N33.

Archived