LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everybody that passed the S&D exam, I passed my exam back in April and I just got confirmation for the August class last week. I should have been in the June class but sterling talent solutions are nothing to play w/. When Linda sent me the link for the background check, I added a few jobs that weren't on the job application. That didn't make Linda to happy, but that didn't disqualify me either. Linda told me to send a new updated application and resume, in which I did the same exact day but she was probably over it at that point. The only reason i added those additional jobs were because I figured sterling talent solutions might reveal them anyway. Sterling talent solutions also sent me an email earlier in the day requesting more information, they wanted IRS transcripts for almost 6/10 of my previous jobs as verification. I called IRS and they said it would take 7-10 business days to mail it me, I was automatically discouraged when they said that to me. But I called back, and a different rep said if its an emergency they can actually fax it to me. So of course I had to opt out for the fax, in which i received promptly. I then faxed all requested transcripts to sterling talent solutions. By the next day all the searches were complete, and sterling gave me the green light, but Linda would no longer respond to my emails. it took no longer then a day and half to gather all that information and send it out, but Linda was MIA, she is a very busy individual so I understand, receiving a reply from her is like gold lol. So a few days go by i send her another email she replies saying "I highly doubt you can make the class", reason being she hasn't had time to review my updated application and resume. Even though I managed to get the green light from sterling talent solutions, and send her my updated application and resume within two days, that wasn't good enough, which caused me a spot at the June A/c Class. With that being said, make sure you have paystubs from former employers on stand by, if not request IRS transcripts from your previous jobs NOW! 

I would also like to shed some light on the writing portion of the exam, as well as the interview portion. Linda told me I possibly scored the lowest on the writing exam, because not once did I say anything about apologizing to customers which she confronted me about. She made it clear that I will not get past the interview if I do not use apologies as one of ways to handle customers. Come time for the interview, I was interviewed by Linda and the superintendent, which was very nerve-racking. But my answer to everything was APOLOGIZE TO THE CUSTOMER lol. Also I didn't wait for Linda to send me an email. I actually emailed her, and asked her if I made any of the upcoming classes. Im really glad I did, because if not I would probably still be waiting to hear from her. Also big tip for you guys, on a number of different occasions I emailed her at 6 or 7 am in the morning and received very fast replies. I guess thats when she pays attention to her emails the most. I Hope this was helpful to everybody, and Best Of Luck To All. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Two2Go I really appreciate that information man. What happens if you fail any of the exams?

If you fail a quiz during AC class, nothing happens except the instructor will be pissed. If you fail an exam during AC class (Book of Rules, Air Brake, Tickets, or PTEP) you are immediately out of the program and fired from the railroad.

For the qualifying process (approx. 2 years after hiring on), you have 7 chances to pass each test (Book of Rules, Physical Characteristics, Air Brake and Zone A). After failing any test 3 times, you are put Out of Service, meaning you can no longer work and earn an income until you pass all your tests. If you fail any test on the 7th chance, you are immediately fired from the railroad.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, Suffolkbull3 said:

I have to say im really quite surprised that many people who have passed the sd test still have yet to recieve any sort of email after passing their sd test.. With that being said, Does anyone know if the panel interview and/or the hand written assignment they give u after u complete ur test have any effect at all on your overall standing with the lirr? 

Do those two things count for anything?? Does anyone know? The only thing i know is that i watched linda going over my hand written assignement and she was actually writing down some sort of number for my answers to each question. So maybe the panel interview and hw assignment account for more than we think??? 

Anyone know for sure?

So as you can see someone from the group before my group didn’t make the June class but made the August there’s no telling how many more people are going through the same... If there is no September class our group could be looking at next year class and that’s if there isn’t a group of people who didn’t make the cut this year 

49 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

If you fail a quiz during AC class, nothing happens except the instructor will be pissed. If you fail an exam during AC class (Book of Rules, Air Brake, Tickets, or PTEP) you are immediately out of the program and fired from the railroad.

For the qualifying process (approx. 2 years after hiring on), you have 7 chances to pass each test (Book of Rules, Physical Characteristics, Air Brake and Zone A). After failing any test 3 times, you are put Out of Service, meaning you can no longer work and earn an income until you pass all your tests. If you fail any test on the 7th chance, you are immediately fired from the railroad.

@Two2Go Yikes! So only once chance for Book of Rules, Air Brake, Tickets, & PTEP? 

Listen up peoples, I'd bet the house that they have a class in September!  Everyone waiting on getting called, just be happy you passed your S&D exam.  The waiting and the uncertainty is non negotiable and comes with the job.  Take me for example.  I took sigs n defs last year in july and was told that none of us would start until January. But i started in August and others behind me in August/September and then January.  Just roll with the punches and see where you land.  

9 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Two2Go Yikes! So only once chance for Book of Rules, Air Brake, Tickets, & PTEP? 

Yeah, this is why some people recommend trying to take a leave of absence from your current job when you start the program. I don't really think it's necessary, though. Most people don't fail out. The ones that do typically fail out on Book of Rules. Very few have ever failed Air Brake, and if anyone fails Tickets or PTEP....I don't know how they got there in the first place!

15 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

Yeah, this is why some people recommend trying to take a leave of absence from your current job when you start the program. I don't really think it's necessary, though. Most people don't fail out. The ones that do typically fail out on Book of Rules. Very few have ever failed Air Brake, and if anyone fails Tickets or PTEP....I don't know how they got there in the first place!

@Two2Go I was thinking about putting in my two weeks at my job, but i guess ill just opt out for a leave of absence just in case. How long do classes go on for? Thanks for all the replies by the way.

15 minutes ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Two2Go I was thinking about putting in my two weeks at my job, but i guess ill just opt out for a leave of absence just in case. How long do classes go on for? Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Classes are about 2.5 months. But you take the Book of Rules test approx. 5 weeks after starting class. Generally once you pass Book of Rules you've got nothing to worry about. 

2 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Classes are about 2.5 months. But you take the Book of Rules test approx. 5 weeks after starting class. Generally once you pass Book of Rules you've got nothing to worry about. 

@Two2Go Thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate that. Do you have any of the material still? just asking for a friend lol. But seriously lol.

1 hour ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Two2Go Thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate that. Do you have any of the material still? just asking for a friend lol. But seriously lol.

You don't need any of the "material", and even if we did give it to you, you would have no idea what the hell you're looking at.  If you can't pass the a/c book in 2.5 weeks, then you don't belong here.   

7 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

As bp98 said, giving you material to study from wouldn't be beneficial without the actual classroom instruction. Plus, everything we are given is considered by the railroad to be confidential. We could get fired for sharing that stuff with non-employees, even if you're about to be an employee. Just study the stuff you've already been given.

2 hours ago, snoopys16 said:

Hey everyone, 

I have the open house August 21st at Hillside just wanted to know a little more about the interview part.  I saw what bp98 said in the first few pages of forum just wondering if it changed at all?  thanks! 

The interview at the open house is nothing to worry about. They go over your resume with you, asking some basic questions about your experience. They are trying to make sure that you actually have the experience they are looking for (cash handling & customer service). 

Once you pass the Signals & Definitions there will be another, slightly more difficult interview. This interview is conducted by two transportation managers (former conductors), and they'll ask you scenario based questions, to see how you would react. Obviously you have not been trained by the railroad yet, but that is the point...they want to see what your natural instincts are. So for example, they asked me something like "You are working a train from Penn Station and a Knicks game just ended at MSG. The train is full of rowdy fans, and a group of guys are refusing to give you their tickets. What do you do?".  I said something like "I would politely ask for their tickets again, and if they continue to refuse, I would excuse myself and ask another coworker on the train for further assistance."  I had no idea what the real policy or procedure was, I just went with what I had previously seen riding on the trains as a passenger, and my customer service training from other jobs. 

4 hours ago, Two2Go said:

The interview at the open house is nothing to worry about. They go over your resume with you, asking some basic questions about your experience. They are trying to make sure that you actually have the experience they are looking for (cash handling & customer service). 

Once you pass the Signals & Definitions there will be another, slightly more difficult interview. This interview is conducted by two transportation managers (former conductors), and they'll ask you scenario based questions, to see how you would react. Obviously you have not been trained by the railroad yet, but that is the point...they want to see what your natural instincts are. So for example, they asked me something like "You are working a train from Penn Station and a Knicks game just ended at MSG. The train is full of rowdy fans, and a group of guys are refusing to give you their tickets. What do you do?".  I said something like "I would politely ask for their tickets again, and if they continue to refuse, I would excuse myself and ask another coworker on the train for further assistance."  I had no idea what the real policy or procedure was, I just went with what I had previously seen riding on the trains as a passenger, and my customer service training from other jobs. 

Thank you for the info!! hopefully the open house goes good then I'll start studying like crazy for the S&D test 

16 minutes ago, MTA Groupie said:

Evening all... question to those whom already on the railroad or in classroom training.. how long after passing the S&D test did they contacted you and for what was it about?! 

Well Everyone seems to have a different timeframe it’s seems like from 2 years ago they were calling a lot faster than now. I’m from the group that passed in may and we are looking at a Jan/Feb class of next year.

3 hours ago, Mlad18 said:

Well Everyone seems to have a different timeframe it’s seems like from 2 years ago they were calling a lot faster than now. I’m from the group that passed in may and we are looking at a Jan/Feb class of next year.

Oh wow... that’s a long time.. so did you already do background check and medical with the LIRR?!

Someone failed out of the A/C program yesterday, on the Air Brake exam. No one should be failing out, and certainly not for Air Brake. You can read 40 pages of how hard it is to get hired, don't go blowing it by getting hired and then not studying. 

4 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Someone failed out of the A/C program yesterday, on the Air Brake exam. No one should be failing out, and certainly not for Air Brake. You can read 40 pages of how hard it is to get hired, don't go blowing it by getting hired and then not studying. 

WTF!  Thats the second one ever and the 1st was from a new class in beginning of year.  Absolute shame, Jimmy Boyle must've been so freakin mad!!  Make it all that way and can't pass airbrake, wow!

19 hours ago, Two2Go said:

air brake is no joke. its a lot of information on things you don't see often or have no clue what and where it is located. some are not mechanically inclined and will have a hard time absorbing all the information. yes they try to help you in the review as much as they can but there's so much the instructors can do. my personal experience it also depends on the instructor. its a good thing they have air brakes now before ticketing. we have ticketing before air brakes so when its time to study air brakes your brain is almost shot. it sucks but a lot have difficulty on air brakes than the book.

1 minute ago, CGeorge said:

air brake is no joke. its a lot of information on things you don't see often or have no clue what and where it is located. some are not mechanically inclined and will have a hard time absorbing all the information. yes they try to help you in the review as much as they can but there's so much the instructors can do. my personal experience it also depends on the instructor. its a good thing they have air brakes now before ticketing. we have ticketing before air brakes so when its time to study air brakes your brain is almost shot. it sucks but a lot have difficulty on air brakes than the book.

Yeah, you're right, I didn't mean to make it sound like Air Brake is a joke or anything. Air Brake was actually my lowest score when I was in A/C class, I am not a mechanically-inclined person at all. That being said, Jimmy does a very good review the day before the test, there really shouldn't be any surprises. As long as you study the material, you will pass.