Favorite Job

Regular/Temporary

Job Information

Title:                                            Assistant Conductor Trainee
Department:                                Transportation Services
Post Date:                                   02/03/2016
Close Date:                                 02/17/2016
Hay Point Evaluation:                 N/A
100% Rate of Pay:                     $38.77* (See Wage Progression Chart)
Position Classification:               Safety Sensitive
Reports To:                                Conductor
Union Affiliation:                         SMART (Sheet Metal, Air, Rail Transportation) Transportation Division

Summary

Provides excellent customer service to all passengers.  Assists train crew  in the safe and efficient movement of customers, performance of various yard movement operations, mechanical troubleshooting/minor repairs of equipment, collecting and selling cash fares, making announcements, operating doors, handling emergency situations, coupling and uncoupling train cars, throwing switches, etc.

Responsibilities

Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:

-Provides passengers with information, answers questions concerning train rules, regulations, and schedules, and provides destination information.  Reports delays.
-Inspects, collects, and sells cash fares on passenger trains in accordance with established procedures.
-Must walk through moving passenger trains in performance of duties, climb on and off equipment using fixed ladders or stairs, assist passengers on, off and through trains routinely or under emergency conditions.
-Routinely operates yard and main track switches and derails, operates levers and valves to separate cars, couples and uncouples air brake hoses, inspects trains, performs minor repairs to equipment, applies or releases hand brakes, aligns coupling assemblies, opens and closes doors on passenger equipment.
-Assists in the movement of cars to assemble trains or place for repair or service.
-Observes, interprets, and relays various types of signals including hand, fixed position, or color lights to control the movement of trains and engines for the safety of passengers.
-Reads and understands rules and instructions, gives as well as follows written and oral instructions, communicates clearly via public address and radio systems with passengers and railroad facilities.
-Provides protection (flag) for third party contractors along tracks, on platforms, bridges, tunnels and other railroad facilities.

Qualifications

-A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent (GED or TASC) approved by a State's Department of Education or recognized accredited organization.
-Must possess a valid driver's license from the state of your legal residence.
-Ability to read and understand operating manuals, and write train orders.
-Accounting skills equivalent to maintaining and balancing a check book.
-Mechanical aptitude for troubleshooting equipment and air brake systems.
-Solid oral communication skills, must have ability to successfully pass oral and written promotion examinations.
-Frequent pushing/pulling MU (multiple unit) car doors 23 to 55 lb. (one armed push/pull strength of 39 lb. avg.) and retracting electric coupler 90 lb. force.
-Occasional climbing  on stairs and ladders, including 32' initial step above ground to enter train with train hold 62" above ground.
-Must have the ability to work various hours (24/7), at different locations and report in a timely fashion.  This would include days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
-Required to wear a uniform that consists of a coat, vest and trousers, a cap, shirt and tie.

Preferred/Desirable Skills/Qualifications:
-Some college preferred.
-Prior customer service and cash handling experience.
-Successful completion of introduction to Operating Rules & Procedures training class.

Steps to the Selection Process:
1a. Employees who have a satisfactory work record and meet the stated requirements will be invited to take an aptitude test.
  b. External applicants who meet the stated requirements may be invited to take the aptitude test.  This test has three parts, Cognitive, Vocabulary and Math.  A preliminary assessment interview will also be conducted at the time.  Based on the results, candidates may receive LIRR operations, signals and definitions study material.
2. Successful candidates at this stage will be invited to come to the LIRR signal and definitions overview. (Candidates must return to take the Signals & Definations exam).
3.  Those successfully passing this exam will participate in a panel interview on this day.  If successful, a physical abilities screening will be scheduled to ensure they can perform the essential functions of the job.
4. Training Program: Candidates who successfully complete the steps of the selection process outlined in 1, 2  and 3 above, may be selected to participate in the Assistant Conductor Training Program.  The Training for Assistant Conductor is administered through an approximately 11-week COMPENSATED  program.  Instruction will include operating rules and policies, on-board ticket sales and procedures, airbrake and troubleshooting requirements, passenger train emergency preparedness (PTEP) and on-track safety.
The process will consist of a practical evaluation as well as mandatory written exams.  Failure to pass all exams and training requirements will result in dismissal.

Written and Practical Qualifying Exams:
-Operating Rules & Procedures for passenger and freight service.
-Ticket sales, collections and accounting procedures.
-Air Brake equipment inspections and troubleshooting.
-PTEP
-CPR First Aid
-Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)-214/217and 218
Qualifying for Assistant Conductor to Conductor is mandatory as per current Article-5 agreement.
Failure to qualify as a Conductor may result in termination from the Company.

Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule

We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:

- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars

Wage Progression: for Employees Hired on or Before September 24, 2014:
Rates as of December 16, 2015

70%  -  1st 365 Calendar Days -  $27.13/hr 
75%  -  2nd 365 Calendar Days - $29.07/hr 
80%  -  3rd 365 Calendar Days -  $31.01/hr
85%  -  4th 365 Calendar Days -  $32.95/hr 
90%  -  5th 365 Calendar Days -  $34.89/hr
100% - after 1,825 Calendar Days -  $38.77/hr 

New Wage Progress for Employees Hired After September 24, 2014:
Rates as of December 16, 2015

70%  - 1st 365 Calendar Days - $27.13/hr
70%  - 2nd 365 Calendar Days- $27.13/hr
75%  - 3rd 365 Calendar Days - $29.07/hr
80%  - 4th 365 Calendar Days - $31.01/hr
85%  - 5th 365 Calendar Days - $32.95/hr
85%  - 6th 365 Calendar Days - $32.95/hr
90%  - 7th 365 Calendar Days - $34.89/hr
100% -8th 365 Calendar Days - $38.77/hr

Other Information

In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.

How To Apply

Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.

If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password.  If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.

All LIRR employees must go to https://www.mymta.info/ , sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to My Job Search and then Careers.

When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.

Equal Employment Opportunity

The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce.  As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.

If I have a Learners permit would I still qualify as having a license. The issue is that my road test isn't scheduled for another 5 weeks because that was the soonest with availability. Please someone advise?

IMHO, it's a risk. Here's why:

a) Chances are that we are probably not going to hear back from the LIRR for another 5 to 6 weeks. Therefore, if you take your road test and pass it, you will probably be good to go.

b) If they do look over the applicants shortly after February 17th, they can disqualify you as a result of not having your license.

It's up to you...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I applied for this the beginning of last year (around February of 15') and wasn't contacted until the end of december.  Went to the open house and people from all walks of life were there.  There were a bunch of young people and a few in their late 30's early 40's.  I swear there was one guy who was well into his 50's and he was picked, but anyway...

In order to get called, you need demonstrate the following IMO:

1) Customer service experience, so if you were a greeter at wall mart for the last two years, then you're golden.

2) Cash handling experience, preferably large transactions like a teller at a bank for example.

3) Good study habits, usually through a college degree.  Yes its not required, but it helps your chances.

As far as the tests are concerned at the open house, you can't study for them.  Either you have "it" or you don't.  If you have half a brain, you will pass, don't worry.  If you pass the exams, then you will have an interview with a transportation manager.  This is where they make sure that you were what they were looking for.  

Example questions: 

-Can you conform to DOT regulations?

-Do you have good study habits?

-Are you good with customers?  Explain.

-How do you deal with pressure situations? Explain.

-Any moving violations or tickets?  

After that you have to wait for an email for the ridiculously extensive background check.  If you worked at some place for a week when you were 17 and only got one paycheck, but it was ON THE BOOKS, you need to report it because they will find out (and will ask for proof, aka a w-2 or a paystub).  If you fail to report ANYTHING, automatic disqualification.  This goes for any tickets, moving violations, arrests, etc.  

So while they are investigating your background, you will get invited to the infamous S&D overview.  A person from the training department will host about 40 people and explain the signals and definitions and what you should do/need to do in order to pass.  Based on some posts on other websites, this has changed over the last couple of years.  Some saying that they got horn and whistle signals in addition to only 50 signals and definitions.  For me, i got all 75 definitions and all of the signals, no horn or whistle signals.  The test is 50 questions, a random combination of signals and definitions.  You need to know these WORD FOR WORD VERBATIM.  Miss a word?  Accidentally add a word to a definition ("the train" instead of just "train")? Accidentally pluralize a word ("trains" instead of "train")? WRONG!  

You have 5 weeks from the date of the S&D overview to study.  You need to get a 100% on the names of the signals, and an 80% on the signal indications and definitions.  There were about 30 people who took the exam.  Of those only SIX, including myself passed.  After you pass, you take another panel interview with two transportation managers where they ask you situational questions.  "You're the conductor on train A and notice a bunch of rowdy, drunk passengers who haven't paid their fare yet.  what do you do?"  

Keep in mind that most, if not all of the TM's were conductors at one point, so they wont go easy on you.  

After this, you will get an additional packet of horn, whistle, and hand signals that you have to study for the academy.  Essentially whatever they omitted from the S&D test, they give you to study until you get called.

Once you get called for training, you have to set up an appointment for the medical.

This is where you have to be able to lift 50 lbs, walk on uneven surfaces, and step onto a simulated train.  I mention this because the initial step that you have to step up on is 3 and a half feet off the ground which might not seem high, but try it and you'll understand.  You have to step up and down this thing about 10 times.  

******Another thing: you'll have to sign a whole bunch of paperwork at the medical exam where they ask you "have you ever had" questions.  MAKE SURE YOU ANSWER TRUTHFULLY AND DON'T LEAVE OUT A THING!  If you had surgery on your ankle when you were 16 for a broken bone or tendon, TELL THEM!  One of the things that you have to sign is giving them the right to terminate you employment at ANY TIME (even after probation) if they find out that you had surgery, for example, and you didn't tell them.  As long as you can pass the PE exam, you will be fine.  

Then after that you go to orientation and training which is what i'm up to currently.  Any other questions with the hiring process, feel free to ask.

Oh ok I thought you were hired from the recent posting in 2016, that gives me a bit of fate then. Thanks for giving us some feed back on the selection process, and good luck with your training. @bp98

Thanks.  Its probably going to be at least a year for the 16' applicants.  From what I've heard, there's only two planned classes of 24 each going through this year.  One this month and one in may.  Your better off forgetting about it and focusing on your resume and study habits until they call you.  The washout rate is high, I mean, just think about how many people they have to go through just to get 24 trainees.  Chances are high if you have solid customer service experience, just keep applying.  It will happen!

forgive me, my dates might be off a bit since this is off the top of my head:

I applied on the 2/4/16 listing and got a response the next day on the 5th.  I went for the cognitive/math/vocab on the 17th, i think like 15 or so of the 40 people failed the cognitive, you could've bet on who they were before the names were called.  They said they get about 10k applications every time they post the job listing so to get in i guess is a big deal.  The math and vocab are a joke.  Not sure if anyone failed as i finished first and was interviewed first and then dismissed for the day.

I then went back for the s&d overview on 3/2/16.  60 people showed, one guy showed up an hour and a half late.  Harmless day but they do try to overwhelm you with all the stuff you have to learn.  I haven't studied for anything since i graduated college 10 years ago.  My wife told me to just make all 204 flash cards....yes 204.  Then memorize 10 signals per day and then 5 definitions per day.  I was able to finish all 204 with 2 days to spare.  They give you a cd with practice tests on it.  The definition section on the practice test is full of wrong answers so beware if using it.

I went back for the s&d test on 4/6/16, only 30 or so of the 60 showed up.  Everyone stresses over the whole verbatim thing and one guy actually ran out of the room when the test started.  However the guy today told us that if changing a plural like trains over train doesn't matter as long as it doesn't change the definition.  I kept messing up a few instruction/instructions definitions but none of them were on the test.  After you are done they hand you a handwriting assignment.  The first woman that day told us it is part of the exam but the actually instructor said it didn't matter, it was just to check your handwriting.  He seemed to be a bit more on the real side/logical side.  After that they tell you to come back at 1045.  When we all met back they called out 9 people to a room, kind surprised since i knew i passed and 9 didn't seem like enough that failed after hearing all the stories.  Low and behold only those 9 people failed.  21 passed this time around.  We were then given another packet to study (hand signals, horns/buzzers).  Then we had to wait for the panel interview and uniform fitting.  Panel interview was just awkward, basically asking you what is supposed to be common sense questions but really more about actual LIRR policies that you weren't trained on yet.  If you don't give the right answers they keep re-asking until you get it and they just go down a checklist.  I feel like i was terrible during this part but i know people that were worse on the interview and still got the job.  

Long process but i felt the most nerve racking thing was making it to hillside at 8am from eastern LI since not westbound trains go to hillside during morning peak.  We are supposed to find out in 2-3 weeks if we are in the may class.  Ill update when i find something out.

If anyone has any questions about the process or if i left something out just ask.

forgive me, my dates might be off a bit since this is off the top of my head:

I applied on the 2/4/16 listing and got a response the next day on the 5th.  I went for the cognitive/math/vocab on the 17th, i think like 15 or so of the 40 people failed the cognitive, you could've bet on who they were before the names were called.  They said they get about 10k applications every time they post the job listing so to get in i guess is a big deal.  The math and vocab are a joke.  Not sure if anyone failed as i finished first and was interviewed first and then dismissed for the day.

I then went back for the s&d overview on 3/2/16.  60 people showed, one guy showed up an hour and a half late.  Harmless day but they do try to overwhelm you with all the stuff you have to learn.  I haven't studied for anything since i graduated college 10 years ago.  My wife told me to just make all 204 flash cards....yes 204.  Then memorize 10 signals per day and then 5 definitions per day.  I was able to finish all 204 with 2 days to spare.  They give you a cd with practice tests on it.  The definition section on the practice test is full of wrong answers so beware if using it.

I went back for the s&d test on 4/6/16, only 30 or so of the 60 showed up.  Everyone stresses over the whole verbatim thing and one guy actually ran out of the room when the test started.  However the guy today told us that if changing a plural like trains over train doesn't matter as long as it doesn't change the definition.  I kept messing up a few instruction/instructions definitions but none of them were on the test.  After you are done they hand you a handwriting assignment.  The first woman that day told us it is part of the exam but the actually instructor said it didn't matter, it was just to check your handwriting.  He seemed to be a bit more on the real side/logical side.  After that they tell you to come back at 1045.  When we all met back they called out 9 people to a room, kind surprised since i knew i passed and 9 didn't seem like enough that failed after hearing all the stories.  Low and behold only those 9 people failed.  21 passed this time around.  We were then given another packet to study (hand signals, horns/buzzers).  Then we had to wait for the panel interview and uniform fitting.  Panel interview was just awkward, basically asking you what is supposed to be common sense questions but really more about actual LIRR policies that you weren't trained on yet.  If you don't give the right answers they keep re-asking until you get it and they just go down a checklist.  I feel like i was terrible during this part but i know people that were worse on the interview and still got the job.  

Long process but i felt the most nerve racking thing was making it to hillside at 8am from eastern LI since not westbound trains go to hillside during morning peak.  We are supposed to find out in 2-3 weeks if we are in the may class.  Ill update when i find something out.

If anyone has any questions about the process or if i left something out just ask.

That's awesome how you got called literally the next day.  Good Luck.

I received an e-mail yesterday that they needed to verify my start date at my current job.  I wish they would just call but they won't call current employers.  I can't find any tax documents before 2012 as i need 2010 so now i have to go to social security tomorrow, but i guess since they are still asking for this stuff it is a good sign

I received an e-mail yesterday that they needed to verify my start date at my current job.  I wish they would just call but they won't call current employers.  I can't find any tax documents before 2012 as i need 2010 so now i have to go to social security tomorrow, but i guess since they are still asking for this stuff it is a good sign

any updates?