LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

My son just passed the Signals and Definitions test on March 22nd. He said about 45 people showed up to take test and only 15 made it. He had the final interview and got fitted for uniforms. All thats left is background and medical screening. Assuming everything else goes well he expects to start training next month. Its a long process..he's initial call from the RR was in January.

I did a lot of studying with him..make those flashcards ASAP and make studying them your only purpose in life until the test (easier said then done I know).

Edited by moodyman

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After you make it past the program they ask you do you want to work your relief days if you say yes you work relief days if you say no you have to wait about 6 months for the opportunity again...its not always guaranteed but if they need you you will work and your probation starts as soon as class starts

Got it, thanks for the info!

The first year depends on when you graduate. If you come out during the summer, its not that bad. You'll be able to hit nice jobs and do pretty much what you want. If you come out in the winter, then you will "hang" probably 3 of the 5 days per week and wish that you were back at your old job. Not fun.

Also there are a bunch of probationary conductors that are in their first year and have owned the same job since December. It does happen.

This depends on the job. most jobs finish where you start, but some jobs don't. There are jobs that allocate "deadhead" time at the end so that you can officially finish where you started, but you don't need to physically go all the way back (if that makes any sense). Contractually, you are paid back to the terminal where you started.

BP, what do you mean by "hang" 3 of 5 days?

Got it, thanks for the info!

BP, what do you mean by "hang" 3 of 5 days?

after you get done with class and start working, you get to pick jobs off a list in order of preference, if you're lucky, you land some of the jobs you want, if you don't, you go in what they call "hang" which is when dispatch calls you for when they need you & you don't get the jobs on your list. make sense?

My son just passed the Signals and Definitions test on March 22nd. He said about 45 people showed up to take test and only 15 made it. He had the final interview and got fitted for uniforms. All thats left is background and medical screening. Assuming everything else goes well he expects to start training next month. Its a long process..he's initial call from the RR was in January.

I did a lot of studying with him..make those flashcards ASAP and make studying them your only purpose in life until the test (easier said then done I know).

Congrats!! excellent accomplishment!!

after you get done with class and start working, you get to pick jobs off a list in order of preference, if you're lucky, you land some of the jobs you want, if you don't, you go in what they call "hang" which is when dispatch calls you for when they need you & you don't get the jobs on your list. make sense?

Congrats!! excellent accomplishment!!

Ahh, makes much sense now. Thank you Cappi and congrats to you and your son Moody!!

Its a little more complicated then that, but you will figure it out once you come out.  

Good Morning all!

I hope you guys are well. I was wondering if any of you guys that have been waiting for that email receive anything as of late? I went to the S&D overview yesterday and apparently it looks like they are looking to have 6 classes this year! 2 already underway and 4 more they are looking to fill ! So hopefully there are a few more S&D overviews coming up. Just wanted to give you all that piece of information as I know that this process can be a bit intense especially when playing the waiting game . Let me get back to making these flashcards. I wish you all well throughout this process and to the vets; hopefully I can work side by side with some of you one day! 

Congrats Fed & Dre! Great news. Keep your fingers crossed me IronHorse & myself. Lol

Can you confirm something for me? As I'm already studying. I was just told that "flagman", "effective securing device" and "effective locking device" were all deleted from definitions and there's no need to know them. Of course I got them down already lol. But can u confirm if they're in there?

Thanks!

Cappi,

iirc, at the s&d overview I went to back in '13 they give you certain definitions and signals you need to know for the entrance exam.  they didn't say if those were deleted or not, just that you didn't need to know them for the exam.  Iron horse, went to february open house 2/23.  did you get your invite finally IH?  Good luck to you all once again!

Congrats Fed & Dre! Great news. Keep your fingers crossed me IronHorse & myself. Lol

Can you confirm something for me? As I'm already studying. I was just told that "flagman", "effective securing device" and "effective locking device" were all deleted from definitions and there's no need to know them. Of course I got them down already lol. But can u confirm if they're in there?

Thanks!

if you are starting AC class then you need not worry about the hand out they gave you. you will get your book of rules and whatever definitions are in that book are the ones you need to know.

Thanks!

Hey Cappi,

They are still in the book that I received on the 28th. There are a total of 75 definitions in the book . 

Cappi,

iirc, at the s&d overview I went to back in '13 they give you certain definitions and signals you need to know for the entrance exam.  they didn't say if those were deleted or not, just that you didn't need to know them for the exam.  Iron horse, went to february open house 2/23.  did you get your invite finally IH?  Good luck to you all once again!

Im guessing things have changed since 2013 because we were told to learn all 75 definitions and i believe 129 signals and indications. There wasn't a particular group of definitions or signals we were given to study. 

Hey CT,

Apparently so, my buddy tells me that they have been quite dissatisfied with the caliber of personnel that have been hired in recent years, and as such they are making the process more difficult, even possibly going as far as re-instituting nepotism, although I don't know how true that is, you know how the rumour mill goes.  but, given the time that they do, a month plus between S&D and the entrance exam is more than enough to learn everything you need to.  

Hey CT,

Apparently so, my buddy tells me that they have been quite dissatisfied with the caliber of personnel that have been hired in recent years, and as such they are making the process more difficult, even possibly going as far as re-instituting nepotism, although I don't know how true that is, you know how the rumour mill goes.  but, given the time that they do, a month plus between S&D and the entrance exam is more than enough to learn everything you need to.  

Dre,

I couldn't agree more about the timeframe; 5 weeks is more than enough time to learn all the necessary information and especially if this is something you truly want and need! Nothing will stop me from having all of this information down in the required timeframe! so happy to hear that you got the email you've been waiting on. Hopefully we all make it to the finish line fellas! 

Dre,

I couldn't agree more about the timeframe; 5 weeks is more than enough time to learn all the necessary information and especially if this is something you truly want and need! Nothing will stop me from having all of this information down in the required timeframe! so happy to hear that you got the email you've been waiting on. Hopefully we all make it to the finish line fellas! 

CT,

yes, exactly, which is why I don't understand others on this board wanting to get ahead of themselves and procure material that hasn't been given to them directly by the railroad.  it's not rocket science, just good old fashioned studying and committing to memory.  I'd say a bit more involved than studying for a standardized exam but nothing that's not doable.  be patient people, it will all come and you'll do fine in the allotted time frame.  no need to try getting ahead of the game and possibly wasting your time by studying the incorrect stuff.  yes they definitions might not change much year over year but like I said all it take is one word and the definition is wrong.  Looking forward to a new class of conductors and I echo the sentiment, good luck to all!

Some people don't have the amount of free time others have to study. I'm at a job for 23 years where I work a ton. Obviously I can get it done in the 5 weeks but it would be a stressful cram job. Right now. I have all the definitions basically down. And I haven't been called back and have been able to study at my own pace. It's a matter of preference. As far as material. I have official material right out of the admins office. A month ago. And updated last week Bc they took 3 definitions out that don't have to be known. So good luck on your studying. Hope u do well. But I'll also choose to motor along at my own pace & stress less about cramming. Good luck all.