LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Thanks Moodyman, Congrats to you and your son! You must be very proud! So the flash cards are the way to go, that seems to be the general consensus. Is there any other insight you/he might be able to offer? Did he prepare any other way? Thanks for this.

Pretty much just the flash cards. Just making the cards was somewhat of a chore also.

And as sign of things to come..after he passed the S&D test they gave him another packet to study (not nearly as big as the first one) which states that it must be memorized BEFORE his first day of class. 

Edited by moodyman

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not Lou G, lol? Yeah it was May 21st or 23rd. Right next to test date for April 18th overview

No - IronHorse was Lou Gherig's nickname. lol

May 21st is a Sunday, so I'm sure that's not it. Someone said that the 23rd was the test date for April 18th's overview.

I have every definition down pat but I haven't started on the signals - starting to lose faith in the call back. I have to decide by next week whether or not to keep my current job or accept a very nice severance package so the timing is brutal for me.

No - IronHorse was Lou Gherig's nickname. lol

May 21st is a Sunday, so I'm sure that's not it. Someone said that the 23rd was the test date for April 18th's overview.

I have every definition down pat but I haven't started on the signals - starting to lose faith in the call back. I have to decide by next week whether or not to keep my current job or accept a very nice severance package so the timing is brutal for me.

Lmao, oh...didn't get that reference. Crazy stuff. I got notice from my current job April 5th. They offered severance of a months pay which I took. My last working day is today actually. I'm currently interviewing for 5 different places but I'm with you, losing hope.

Lmao, oh...didn't get that reference. Crazy stuff. I got notice from my current job April 5th. They offered severance of a months pay which I took. My last working day is today actually. I'm currently interviewing for 5 different places but I'm with you, losing hope.

Man - good luck. Keep plugging away. I hope we get called for May but I feel like that ship has sailed. I have to decide if I want the severace (46 weeks pay) or stay in my role. if i accept my position, severance is off the table. So hard with out a call back for the overview. Total gamble.

If you like your job keep it. If you don't take the severance and look elsewhere. I'm sure you'll find another job in that time and then have 2 incomes. Good luck!

I'm at my job 23 years - I'm not just walking from it. But I'd leave for the RR - see the dilemma?

So which definitions/ signs do you you guys think will be on the exam? Ive been studying

but its a lot. My job is crazy and working nights doesn't help....

are you kidding?  you need to know everything.  verbatim.  end of story.  speculating on which signals/definitions might or might not be on the exam is a waste of time.  better to put your time into studying the material they gave us and knowing everything inside and out.  otherwise you're bound to fail.  The proctor even told us that in so much of words.

Edited by dremoney9972

your right. I respect your passion. Just having a hard time, thats all.

I don't mean to sound harsh but she did say that statistically about half will come back for the test and about half will pass.  don't be a statistic and study your ass off and know the material inside and out.  it will all be worth it once you pass and are on the trains.  if you haven't done so already make flash cards of everything like we were told.  get buddies and family to quiz you and help you.  that's really the only way to go, there's no secret to it.

i had 23yrs with my old job when i left for the RR. it was the best decision I made.

Oh - I have no doubt that it's a great move but great to hear the feedback, thank you! I'm just nervous to accept the severance & walk with out getting called for the S&D overview 1st. Total gamble. If they dont call, I'm out of a job.

Edited by Cappi10

I've been doing about 10 a day I find signals easier to get than definitions I've got about 50 cards memorized about 35. Keep writing them down and repeating them out loud to yourself

That is the best way to do it. Not rocket science at all. 10 a day is awesome. 

are you kidding?  you need to know everything.  verbatim.  end of story.  speculating on which signals/definitions might or might not be on the exam is a waste of time.  better to put your time into studying the material they gave us and knowing everything inside and out.  otherwise you're bound to fail.  The proctor even told us that in so much of words.

EXACTLY!

Edited by Cappi10

I mean I add about 10 a day to my stack. I'm about halfway through. 10 more days to add and then I'll have them all. Then I have to keep going over

That's an awesome pace. Keep it up bro! wishing you best of luck!

Emails just started going out today!! Holding out boys

oddly enough, i just got a letter in the mail stating that i am not chosen because i failed the initial test. there is no way that is possible. they tell you that you don't get to the math portion if you fail any previous part and i know for a fact i passed that 4th grade math test, i completed it twice before turning it in. The math was perfect. I was then granted an interview and by the end of the interview, the woman who interviewed me told me to watch my email for the over view date. I don't understand what happened in the process but i know i didn't fail. Very upset today.

oddly enough, i just got a letter in the mail stating that i am not chosen because i failed the initial test. there is no way that is possible. they tell you that you don't get to the math portion if you fail any previous part and i know for a fact i passed that 4th grade math test, i completed it twice before turning it in. The math was perfect. I was then granted an interview and by the end of the interview, the woman who interviewed me told me to watch my email for the over view date. I don't understand what happened in the process but i know i didn't fail. Very upset today.

That makes a grand total of zero sense. So sorry Cappi. I feel this may be my fate as well. I have had family and friends who work on RR and have all stated that corruption/greed/entitlement run rampant and that the people in charge haven't a clue. Somehow, you were probably screwed over for a random reason. There are positions open as of the other day for Station cleaner, engineer, and track worker. Check em out and apply. My boy on the RR tells me if you don't make the cut to harass HR that you'll take any position and sometimes it works. You can always reach out to HR on this but at this point probably wouldn't get a response. Sorry again man!

When did you get the letter?

Also, I had the exact same experience by getting to interviewer, who seemed to like me, and said same thing that she was recommending me to move on to next step amd watch for an email.

Edited by IronHorse

That makes a grand total of zero sense. So sorry Cappi. I feel this may be my fate as well. I have had family and friends who work on RR and have all stated that corruption/greed/entitlement run rampant and that the people in charge haven't a clue. Somehow, you were probably screwed over for a random reason. There are positions open as of the other day for Station cleaner, engineer, and track worker. Check em out and apply. My boy on the RR tells me if you don't make the cut to harass HR that you'll take any position and sometimes it works. You can always reach out to HR on this but at this point probably wouldn't get a response. Sorry again man!

When did you get the letter?

Also, I had the exact same experience by getting to interviewer, who seemed to like me, and said same thing that she was recommending me to move on to next step amd watch for an email.

I know- zero sense and I actually think I might have an idea of where the sabotage has come from. Not positive but it's the only thing that makes sense. Someone internally that I've known since childhood who completely blew me off when i started asking for some direction. Zero chance i failed. the letter came in the mail yesterday from Linda and i already sent her an email. i know i won't get anywhere but i have to try. I already applied for those positions mentioned last week. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you all the best of luck. i know all of these definitions hands down too. ready to go,...what a waste

Edited by Cappi10

Sorry to hear man. I'm still applying for positions to. I just want to get in. Trackworker is also up there that's a good one. If I don't pass signals and definitions I'm going to try and talk to HR too.

Sorry to hear man. I'm still applying for positions to. I just want to get in. Trackworker is also up there that's a good one. If I don't pass signals and definitions I'm going to try and talk to HR too.

Thanks Fed - I've applied for every opening along the way. I wont give up!