LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

4 hours ago, Mlad18 said:

Yea I know what you mean what helped me was i broke down the definitions into parts because trying to study a whole sentence is too much..when’s your test?

I didn’t think about it that way breaking them down I’ll try that tomorrow when I hit the material again I was just making a cheat sheet for each signal ... my test is June 19th 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i was studying for the s&d, it was very hard to get started with the signals. they all seemed the same in the beginning. what i did was laid all my index cards on the table (by rows) in the order they were in the packet. then i stood there and looked at it. i saw a the difference and it kinda had a pattern. that worked for me, in my experience. 2 weeks before i qualified i ws writing the whole whole thing everyday, aspects and indication. if your hand didn't hurt from writing you may not be doing enough studying.

4 hours ago, fd87 said:

Not yet. I’m waiting too 😬😬😬

Hey fd87, thanks for the reply. I know how nerve racking it is to wait, I just recently went through the process and graduated class a little over a month ago. My cousin was at the May 17th open house and he’s getting worried that he hasn’t gotten an email yet. I’ve been telling him to just be patient, so now knowing that someone else is still waiting should ease his mind a little. Good luck, this job really is awesome! Just put in the necessary time to study the material and you’ll be fine! 

12 hours ago, LappaJJ said:

Hey fd87, thanks for the reply. I know how nerve racking it is to wait, I just recently went through the process and graduated class a little over a month ago. My cousin was at the May 17th open house and he’s getting worried that he hasn’t gotten an email yet. I’ve been telling him to just be patient, so now knowing that someone else is still waiting should ease his mind a little. Good luck, this job really is awesome! Just put in the necessary time to study the material and you’ll be fine! 

Your welcome. Let me know if he hears anything and I’ll do the same.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, fd87 said:

Got mine too 😁 any tips and suggestions on how to study for this would be great.

Study, study and study. Just read through the thread, there’s a ton of information and useful tips on how people have studied for the exam. It’s up to you in the end to find out what method works best for you but the biggest piece of advice I can offer is to put in as much time as you can. The more you study, the more it’s going to sink in. Don’t take one day off between the overview and the exam. Forget hanging out with friends, drinking, bbq’s or having any sort of life and dedicate all your efforts to learning the material. Honestly, when they handed me the packet of signals and definitions at the overview I thought how am I going to learn all of this, but I put in close to 200 hours preparing for the test and I passed with ease. You can do it........ Just put in the time and effort. Start making index cards immediately and then dedicate the next  5 weeks of your life to those cards. 

Edited by JHP87

On 6/6/2018 at 9:16 PM, JHP87 said:

Study, study and study. Just read through the thread, there’s a ton of information and useful tips on how people have studied for the exam. It’s up to you in the end to find out what method works best for you but the biggest piece of advice I can offer is to put in as much time as you can. The more you study, the more it’s going to sink in. Don’t take one day off between the overview and the exam. Forget hanging out with friends, drinking, bbq’s or having any sort of life and dedicate all your efforts to learning the material. Honestly, when they handed me the packet of signals and definitions at the overview I thought how am I going to learn all of this, but I put in close to 200 hours preparing for the test and I passed with ease. You can do it........ Just put in the time and effort. Start making index cards immediately and then dedicate the next  5 weeks of your life to those cards. 

Thank you those signals are going to be my bible for the next 5 weeks

On 6/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, fd87 said:

Got mine too 😁 any tips and suggestions on how to study for this would be great.

Hey whats up fd87 ?!? Are you going to the overview on monday? Im glad to see that i wasnt the only one that was really flipping that the email took soo long to come. They told me in the interview at the open house to look out for the email invite in about a week and it literally took 3 weeks to get to me. Anyway, i wish u the best of luck and ill see u and Lappas cousin on Monday. 

Hey Lappa, Do you know if your cousin is attending the overview on Monday?

58 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Hey whats up jhp87, i was just wondering what stage your at? I read that you passed your test, congrats!

I passed the signals and definitions test in May and I’m now waiting for the background check and/or medical email. I know all good things come to those who wait and I’m trying to go about my business without stressing too much but that’s easier said then done. 

16 minutes ago, JHP87 said:

I passed the signals and definitions test in May and I’m now waiting for the background check and/or medical email. I know all good things come to those who wait and I’m trying to go about my business without stressing too much but that’s easier said then done. 

Im sure ur checking ur email everyday. I wish u the very best and who knows maybe one day we will bump into each other in uniform!!

9 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Im sure ur checking ur email everyday. I wish u the very best and who knows maybe one day we will bump into each other in uniform!!

Yes, I’m checking my email about 4 times per hour, haha. I’m looking forward to working with everyone. I haven’t met anyone with a bad attitude yet during this whole process. I’m looking forward to it all...... That’s what makes waiting so hard. 

16 hours ago, JHP87 said:

Yes, I’m checking my email about 4 times per hour, haha. I’m looking forward to working with everyone. I haven’t met anyone with a bad attitude yet during this whole process. I’m looking forward to it all...... That’s what makes waiting so hard. 

Be sure to let us know when u get that email!! Have u heard anything about when they are starting a new class? or classes?

Whats up everyone? i was wondering for those of you who have passed the sd test, how many hours a day would you say you studied for in the 5 or so weeks leading up to the test? im having some trouble understanding the signals. Its only been two days since the overview so im just hoping that the more i go over them the more sense the signals will start to make.

Lappa, Did your cousin go to the overview? and if so, do u know if he has started studying yet? 

2 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Whats up everyone? i was wondering for those of you who have passed the sd test, how many hours a day would you say you studied for in the 5 or so weeks leading up to the test? im having some trouble understanding the signals. Its only been two days since the overview so im just hoping that the more i go over them the more sense the signals will start to make.

Lappa, Did your cousin go to the overview? and if so, do u know if he has started studying yet? 

they are not going to make any sense.  just memorize them verbatim for now.

19 hours ago, bp98 said:

they are not going to make any sense.  just memorize them verbatim for now.

Thank u for that, i was getting nervous that the signals wouldnt stick to my brain. I really want this job really bad and i literally have been studying my azzzzz off since the overview 3 days ago and am getting extremely nervouse because it seems none of the signals are sticking to my brain other then the clear proceed signals and the stop and proceed signals.

I have not even took a peep at the definitions yet...

Does anyone recommend if i should be going  back and forth from signals to definitions? or should i just stick to the signals until i know them verbatim inside and out before i start studying the definitions? 

Also, im not trying to get a leg up on anyone so if what im about to ask is out of line then please just disregard...

Can someone tell me the test format? Like how are the questions asked?

Lastly, the CD that they give us at the overview, how helpful is that?? i have not used it yet. Is the cd rom the same format as the test? And how helpful did u find the cd rom?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions... I really need this job in the absolute worse way. Its very rare that someone can find a job that they are extremely passionate about not to mention every lirr employee seems so nice, cool, and so down to earth.

Thanks again soooo soo much fellas!