LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Just keep at it bro thier is no easy way to this. Just need to keep hammering it in your brain lol. I have a question for everyone that I should of asked at the overview. For example the Signal absolute-clear if we write absolute clear with no dash is that considered wrong?? Also commas and other slashes through out the packet??

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Thank u for that, i was getting nervous that the signals wouldnt stick to my brain. I really want this job really bad and i literally have been studying my azzzzz off since the overview 3 days ago and am getting extremely nervouse because it seems none of the signals are sticking to my brain other then the clear proceed signals and the stop and proceed signals.

I have not even took a peep at the definitions yet...

Does anyone recommend if i should be going  back and forth from signals to definitions? or should i just stick to the signals until i know them verbatim inside and out before i start studying the definitions? 

Also, im not trying to get a leg up on anyone so if what im about to ask is out of line then please just disregard...

Can someone tell me the test format? Like how are the questions asked?

Lastly, the CD that they give us at the overview, how helpful is that?? i have not used it yet. Is the cd rom the same format as the test? And how helpful did u find the cd rom?

I did the signal names only for the first week. I had all of the signal names down 100% by the 9th day or so. I then moved onto the signal Indications and the Definitions. I did about 3 indications a day (some are obviously easier than others) and I tried to do 5 definitions a day. While doing the indications and definitions, I would still review the signal names to make sure I didn't forget any. I originally wanted to have everything down 100% by the 4th week, so my final week could just be review. I fell behind with some of the definitions, so I had to rush through them at the end. I wound up having 3 days for review, and I wound up getting a 100 on the test. Obviously, everyone studies and retains information differently. For me, I needed to do about 3-4 hours per day, every day, for those 5 weeks.

The signal names are the most important since you have to get 100% correct. The test is literally just 25 random signal aspects (the pictures of signals) with a blank space next to each one for the Name and another blank space for the Indication. You have to write them out word for word verbatim to get them right. Then they give you 25 random definitions, just the term, you have to write out the definition word for word verbatim in the blank space provided. You can get 80% right on the signal INDICATIONS and 80% on the DEFINITIONS, but the SIGNAL NAMES must be 100% correct, which is why I focused on those first.

I found the study tool on the CD to be useless. I signed up for a year's subscription to Quizlet and made my own private flash card sets on there, in addition to real paper flash cards. The only thing you need the CD for is the Quiz that you MUST e-mail back within 2 weeks (unless they don't do that anymore?). 

40 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

I did the signal names only for the first week. I had all of the signal names down 100% by the 9th day or so. I then moved onto the signal Indications and the Definitions. I did about 3 indications a day (some are obviously easier than others) and I tried to do 5 definitions a day. While doing the indications and definitions, I would still review the signal names to make sure I didn't forget any. I originally wanted to have everything down 100% by the 4th week, so my final week could just be review. I fell behind with some of the definitions, so I had to rush through them at the end. I wound up having 3 days for review, and I wound up getting a 100 on the test. Obviously, everyone studies and retains information differently. For me, I needed to do about 3-4 hours per day, every day, for those 5 weeks.

The signal names are the most important since you have to get 100% correct. The test is literally just 25 random signal aspects (the pictures of signals) with a blank space next to each one for the Name and another blank space for the Indication. You have to write them out word for word verbatim to get them right. Then they give you 25 random definitions, just the term, you have to write out the definition word for word verbatim in the blank space provided. You can get 80% right on the signal INDICATIONS and 80% on the DEFINITIONS, but the SIGNAL NAMES must be 100% correct, which is why I focused on those first.

I found the study tool on the CD to be useless. I signed up for a year's subscription to Quizlet and made my own private flash card sets on there, in addition to real paper flash cards. The only thing you need the CD for is the Quiz that you MUST e-mail back within 2 weeks (unless they don't do that anymore?). 

Thank you thank you thank you soooo much for that information!! it is extremely usesful information to me!!! 

I was at the S&D overview on June 11th and the last thing they did was hand out the cd and the instructor told us that we did NOT have to email it back to them. Im guessing that we were the first ones to be told we no longer have to email the cd back? 

Its soo good to know that you found the cd to be useless as i have not even used it yet.

Im finding that the “Zone A” Signal names are throwing a monkey wrench into the other signal names because they kind of look very similiar to the “Zone C” signal names. its annoying the fuhhhhh outta me lol.

Thank u sooo much again for your help and if you would like to give me any other reccomendations, i will gladly use them :)

46 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Thank you thank you thank you soooo much for that information!! it is extremely usesful information to me!!! 

I was at the S&D overview on June 11th and the last thing they did was hand out the cd and the instructor told us that we did NOT have to email it back to them. Im guessing that we were the first ones to be told we no longer have to email the cd back? 

Its soo good to know that you found the cd to be useless as i have not even used it yet.

Im finding that the “Zone A” Signal names are throwing a monkey wrench into the other signal names because they kind of look very similiar to the “Zone C” signal names. its annoying the fuhhhhh outta me lol.

Thank u sooo much again for your help and if you would like to give me any other reccomendations, i will gladly use them :)

Cd was helpful for the definitions. The computer won’t let you miss a word or jumble it out of order whereas with the flashcards you might miss something and glaze right over it. 

19 minutes ago, Burner11801 said:

Cd was helpful for the definitions. The computer won’t let you miss a word or jumble it out of order whereas with the flashcards you might miss something and glaze right over it. 

That's why I used Quizlet...the "Learn" function on Quizlet has you type out the definition over and over again, and it doesn't mark you right unless you get it 100% correct. It starts out by letting you see part of the card, or a hint if you need it, but it gets harder as you go.  Flash cards are good for initially learning it, but I like typing it out to make sure I nail it 100%.

24 minutes ago, fd87 said:

Thanks guys for the great information. Did you guys mix all of the signals up to learn them or do them in order??

I would say after learning the signals in order, you wont really know them 100% until you are able to mix them up while quizzing urself or if someone else quizzes u.. So absolutely make sure u mix them all up after you are really familiar with them..

Are you currently studying both the signals and definitions? or just the signals and indications until u know them 100% before moving on to the definitions?

I ABSOLUTELY HATEEEEEEEEE the MEDIUM APPROACH signals!!!!!!! They are totally messing me up!!!! 

First three days I was just repeating everything reading it and saying it out loud. Now everything is on flash cards and mixed up in 10 different piles for each day. But I mite switch to just Signal names cause those are the ones that u can’t get wrong..

6 hours ago, fd87 said:

First three days I was just repeating everything reading it and saying it out loud. Now everything is on flash cards and mixed up in 10 different piles for each day. But I mite switch to just Signal names cause those are the ones that u can’t get wrong..

FD, How many signals and indications of those signals do u have down 100% so far? How many definitions do u know 100% so far? 

I cant get over how much information there is and that we need to know it ALL word for word verbatim!!!!! its crazyyyyy and i have literally been studying my butt off since i got home from the overview on monday!!! 

12 hours ago, fd87 said:

Just keep at it bro thier is no easy way to this. Just need to keep hammering it in your brain lol. I have a question for everyone that I should of asked at the overview. For example the Signal absolute-clear if we write absolute clear with no dash is that considered wrong?? Also commas and other slashes through out the packet??

No, not wrong. Dashes are not needed

I know everyone learns differently, with that being said, Can anyone tell me how long it should take the average person to learn all 72 definitions exactly word for word? 

How long did it take you to learn the 72 definitions inside and out?  

ughh im sooo afraid that 5 weeks isnt enough time to learn all of this material word for word verbatim! 

1 hour ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

I know everyone learns differently, with that being said, Can anyone tell me how long it should take the average person to learn all 72 definitions exactly word for word? 

ughh im sooo afraid that 5 weeks isnt enough time to learn all of this material word for word verbatim! 

It's more than enough time, provided that you use your time wisely. Part of the reason why they only give you 5 weeks is because they are testing your time management skills. Spend more time studying and less time on the internet and you'll be fine. 

14 hours ago, IronHorse said:

No, not wrong. Dashes are not needed

Hi Ironhorse, i wanted to ask u a question, i have read many of your posts in this entire thread and have a lot of respect for you so i would really value and appreciate your opinion....

My sd overview was this past monday, june 11th..... Where should i be in my studying as of today? Like how many signal names should i know, how many signal indications should i know, and how many definitions should i know with today being the 5th day of having the sd study packet?

I would also like to ask u, when you were studying for ur sd test, how did u study? did u learn all the signal names first then the indications 2nd and finally the definitions last? or did you study all 3 everyday ?

Thank you ironhorse, like i said i really value your opinion and any recommendations you may have for me.

4 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Like Two2Go said, 5 weeks is more than enough time but with this much material you need a plan of attack. 

Example:

I gave myself 2 weeks to learn the definitions, that’s 5 per day. It didn’t matter if I needed to stay up until 3am, I learned those 5 a day before I went to bed and also reviewed all previous learned definitions at least twice daily. 

I then gave myself 2 weeks to learn the signals, I did 10 per day, along with reviewing all definitions and all previously learned signals at least twice daily. 

That left me with one week to review everything 3-4 times per day and clean up anything that may have been giving me trouble.

Whatever it is, come up with a plan, set goals and make sure to meet those goals daily. 

5 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Instead of posting on this form, you should be studying.   Asking another person how long it took them isn't going to help you.  Instead, you should be asking yourself a simple question:  "How bad do I wan't it"?  

If you wan't this job bad enough you will get it.  

5 hours ago, bp98 said:

Instead of posting on this form, you should be studying.   Asking another person how long it took them isn't going to help you.  Instead, you should be asking yourself a simple question:  "How bad do I wan't it"?  

If you wan't this job bad enough you will get it.  

Oh trust me i want this job really bad!! i am absoluty possesed over it.. i have been literally studying my azzzzzz off.. i come here to this site to try and gather any other information that i possibly can.. i see the common theme from everyone who passed is study study study study thats basically it and as i said thats all i have been doing since i got the packet on monday. Thank you for the positive vibe!! Its very much appreciated!

I have a question for everyone. For the indication Restricting theirs two of the same  Signals with different indications. If it’s on the test what indication do we give?

Edited by fd87

1 hour ago, fd87 said:

I have a question for everyone. For the indication Restricting theirs two of the same  Signals with different indications. If it’s on the test what indication do we give?

More than likely they won’t give it to you then you’ll most likely get the restricting with the dots like I did but if they do I’m sure they would probably mention the zone 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, Suffolkbull3 said:

Oh trust me i want this job really bad!! i am absoluty possesed over it.. i have been literally studying my azzzzzz off.. i come here to this site to try and gather any other information that i possibly can.. i see the common theme from everyone who passed is study study study study thats basically it and as i said thats all i have been doing since i got the packet on monday. Thank you for the positive vibe!! Its very much appreciated!

Everyone is different could be your situation whether you have kids or single work full time etc....I only studied for an hour a night everyday but I have no responsibilities so it was easier for me too study like that 

1 hour ago, Mlad18 said:

More than likely they won’t give it to you then you’ll most likely get the restricting with the dots like I did but if they do I’m sure they would probably mention the zone 

Okay that’s what I figured. Thought I was going crazy for a second lol

5 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Whats up FD87? How is your studying going? 

What’s up bull?  Studying is going great. I got all the signals down 100% and half of the indications. It’s a lot but very doable. How’s studying going for you ?

11 minutes ago, fd87 said:

What’s up bull?  Studying is going great. I got all the signals down 100% and half of the indications. It’s a lot but very doable. How’s studying going for you ?

Thats GREAT to hear man!!! I dont know if you would remember, but i was the one asking a million questions at our overview lol... 

As far as studying is concerned, im at about the same as u. i have not even looked at a single definition yet. I have literally been studying my butt off everyday and have shut off communications with the outside world and will continue to do so for the next four weeks...If u want, inbox me your cell number and we can help each other if need be. im glad to hear your studying is going great!!

45 minutes ago, Mlad18 said:

Did anyone hear from the recent group that took the exam correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there a few people posting about taking a June 19 test?

Yes, there was an exam yesterday. To anyone that passed, did Linda or anyone else happen to mention upcoming classes?