LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JHP87 said:

Yes, there was an exam yesterday. To anyone that passed, did Linda or anyone else happen to mention upcoming classes? 

I can tell you what they told us at the June11th S&D Overview... They told us that a class would be starting on Aug 22nd and another class starting on Sept 26th. Hope that helps? 

I would think that they would start a class on a Monday instead of a Wednesday? 

Does every new class start on a Wednesday?? If so does anyone know why they start a class in the middle of the week?

2 hours ago, JHP87 said:

Yes, there was an exam yesterday. To anyone that passed, did Linda or anyone else happen to mention upcoming classes? 

Unless those who passed arent on the forum.. I would think I they would be all over the forums talking about it 

6 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

I can tell you what they told us at the June11th S&D Overview... They told us that a class would be starting on Aug 22nd and another class starting on Sept 26th. Hope that helps? 

I would think that they would start a class on a Monday instead of a Wednesday? 

Does every new class start on a Wednesday?? If so does anyone know why they start a class in the middle of the week?

Classes always start on a Wednesday because the pay week for your paycheck runs from Wednesday through Tuesday. Every single one of us started with the railroad on a Wednesday.

28 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

24 new hires joined the roster today with a start date of 6/27/2018.

This is a shot in the dark, but id figure id ask anyway... Do you (or anyone reading this) have any idea if the lirr will have another job posting for asst conductors before year end?? or is it safe to say with all the asst conductor job postings in the last two years, we will not be seeing any asst conductor job postings for the immediate future? 

The reason i ask is because i have a close friend who would absolutely love to apply for this job at the lirr or even a similiar job with similiar pay where the only qualifications that you really need are the ones similiar to that of asst conductors such as a HS Diploma and no college.

Can anyone recommend something similiar to an asst conductor just in case they dont have a job posting for A/C?

Thanks fellas in advance... i really appreciate any feedback i can get.

23 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

This is a shot in the dark, but id figure id ask anyway... Do you (or anyone reading this) have any idea if the lirr will have another job posting for asst conductors before year end?? or is it safe to say with all the asst conductor job postings in the last two years, we will not be seeing any asst conductor job postings for the immediate future? 

The reason i ask is because i have a close friend who would absolutely love to apply for this job at the lirr or even a similiar job with similiar pay where the only qualifications that you really need are the ones similiar to that of asst conductors such as a HS Diploma and no college.

Can anyone recommend something similiar to an asst conductor just in case they dont have a job posting for A/C?

Thanks fellas in advance... i really appreciate any feedback i can get.

No idea when the next posting will be, only HR knows that. From previous years, most postings seem to be done in the winter and spring, so December through March or so. That being said, they haven't done a class starting in June since 2013, so you can't always go by past practices to predict the future. Best advice is to just check the website daily and see if they post it. The last time it was posted was back in February, so who knows.

Other jobs to look out for are CAMs and SAMs. CAMs (Car Appearance Maintainer) clean the trains and SAMs (Station Appearance Maintainers) clean the stations. They don't pay as much as conductor or engineer but they are good entry level positions. A lot of CAMs eventually apply for and become conductors.

15 hours ago, Two2Go said:

No idea when the next posting will be, only HR knows that. From previous years, most postings seem to be done in the winter and spring, so December through March or so. That being said, they haven't done a class starting in June since 2013, so you can't always go by past practices to predict the future. Best advice is to just check the website daily and see if they post it. The last time it was posted was back in February, so who knows.

Other jobs to look out for are CAMs and SAMs. CAMs (Car Appearance Maintainer) clean the trains and SAMs (Station Appearance Maintainers) clean the stations. They don't pay as much as conductor or engineer but they are good entry level positions. A lot of CAMs eventually apply for and become conductors.

Awesome Info!! Thank you!! 

On another note,  Do you know if you need anything more than a HS diploma to apply for these positions ....

Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Block Operator Trainee, Assistant Stationmaster, or Yardmaster ? 

Im asking about only those positions because when i was originally emailed inviting me to the A/C open house, at the end of the email it said if you have taken any of those entrance exams in the past year and failed, than u cant take the A/C open house exam so im figuring those positions would also not require anything higher than a HS Diploma as well. 

10 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Awesome Info!! Thank you!! 

On another note,  Do you know if you need anything more than a HS diploma to apply for these positions ....

Locomotive Engineer Trainee, Block Operator Trainee, Assistant Stationmaster, or Yardmaster ? 

Im asking about only those positions because when i was originally emailed inviting me to the A/C open house, at the end of the email it said if you have taken any of those entrance exams in the past year and failed, than u cant take the A/C open house exam so im figuring those positions would also not require anything higher than a HS Diploma as well. 

Honestly not sure, you'd have to check the postings for each of those jobs and see what the requirements are. Even for conductor, although college isn't required, it's definitely preferred. The vast majority of conductors that I've worked with have at least an associates degree.

21 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Honestly not sure, you'd have to check the postings for each of those jobs and see what the requirements are. Even for conductor, although college isn't required, it's definitely preferred. The vast majority of conductors that I've worked with have at least an associates degree.

ok thanks again for the reply

On 6/19/2018 at 3:45 PM, fd87 said:

What’s up bull?  Studying is going great. I got all the signals down 100% and half of the indications. It’s a lot but very doable. How’s studying going for you ?

hey fd, just wanted to check in with u to see how your making out with your studies? i hope everything is going well for u.

9 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

hey fd, just wanted to check in with u to see how your making out with your studies? i hope everything is going well for u.

What’s up bull. Studying is going great signals and indications down 💯 and half of the Definitions. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol. How’s it going for you?

2 hours ago, fd87 said:

What’s up bull. Studying is going great signals and indications down 💯 and half of the Definitions. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol. How’s it going for you?

Thats awesome to hear!! I have all the signals and indications down as well and i have 62 out of the 73 definitions down so 11 more to learn then its all review until test day. Glad to hear your doing great!!

Still waiting to hear from Sterling....... And waiting..... and waiting.....and waiting........ Did anybody who passed the S&D test in May hear anything yet? I’m fully committed to this opportunity and it’ll be nice to have some confirmation that I’m moving forward. They need to start vetting me soon if I’m gonna make the August class, right? 

1 hour ago, JHP87 said:

Still waiting to hear from Sterling....... And waiting..... and waiting.....and waiting........ Did anybody who passed the S&D test in May hear anything yet? I’m fully committed to this opportunity and it’ll be nice to have some confirmation that I’m moving forward. They need to start vetting me soon if I’m gonna make the August class, right? 

No , you can be put in the August class in a weeks span. 

1 hour ago, LIRR 154 said:

No , you can be put in the August class in a weeks span. 

Ok, great. Thank you, that’s reassuring to know. My thought process is they’ll start putting together the August class now that the June class has started. 

Edited by JHP87

On 7/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, JHP87 said:

From my understanding, 24.  

Thanks bro... Just wondering if you have heard anything yet about class placement? I would think that you will be in the 8/22/18 class for sure however i am a total newb that doesnt know ish about anything yet. Has there been any new classes that started after you passed your test? Like a June class? 

See what i dont understand is, Does the grade matter at all on the Signals & Definition test? 

I dont know, i would think that the people who score high on their sd test should be put into a class before someone who scored lower than the next person. Like why should someone who scored lets say a 90% be put into a class before someone who lets say scored a 100% if all their backrounds and medicals come back clear and they both took the test the same exact day?

So again id like to ask anyone who knows, Does your grade on the SD test matter in any way as long as you pass? 

5 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Thanks bro... Just wondering if you have heard anything yet about class placement? I would think that you will be in the 8/22/18 class for sure however i am a total newb that doesnt know ish about anything yet. Has there been any new classes that started after you passed your test? Like a June class? 

See what i dont understand is, Does the grade matter at all on the Signals & Definition test? 

I dont know, i would think that the people who score high on their sd test should be put into a class before someone who scored lower than the next person. Like why should someone who scored lets say a 90% be put into a class before someone who lets say scored a 100% if all their backrounds and medicals come back clear and they both took the test the same exact day?

So again id like to ask anyone who knows, Does your grade on the SD test matter in any way as long as you pass? 

Does not matter.  What matters is if your background check is complete, medical gives you a clean bill of health.  Once they have 24 people ready to go then they will put a class together, assuming they have enough instructors.  

15 hours ago, bp98 said:

Does not matter.  What matters is if your background check is complete, medical gives you a clean bill of health.  Once they have 24 people ready to go then they will put a class together, assuming they have enough instructors.  

oh ok, thanks for the info bp

On 7/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, bp98 said:

Hey BP, i was reading through this entire thread and noticed that you went through this porcess back in 2016... I was wondering if you have taken the big conductor test yet? 

4 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Hey BP, i was reading through this entire thread and noticed that you went through this porcess back in 2016... I was wondering if you have taken the big conductor test yet? 

Not yet.  Soon.