LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

there's a girl in the class at hillside now. she was riding one of my trains, she asked me about air brakes because is is confused and having a hard time the differences between equipment. i helped her a bit. i hope she passed.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, CGeorge said:

there's a girl in the class at hillside now. she was riding one of my trains, she asked me about air brakes because is is confused and having a hard time the differences between equipment. i helped her a bit. i hope she passed.

Yep, that was her.

21 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Yeah, you're right, I didn't mean to make it sound like Air Brake is a joke or anything. Air Brake was actually my lowest score when I was in A/C class, I am not a mechanically-inclined person at all. That being said, Jimmy does a very good review the day before the test, there really shouldn't be any surprises. As long as you study the material, you will pass.

Airbrake was a joke, and also was kinda fun.  Ticket class was hard as hell.  

I'd agree with BP!  Once you conquer Rules, Airbrakes wasn't that bad, it was just a lot of technical information in only 6 days.  I think that made it challenging. But tickets was horrible!  Like splitting atoms goin over those long form work sheets.  Haha.

Yikes! I don't know how to feel about that. I start class at the end of the month, and now Im extremely nervous. I hope I can pass these exams. How many exams are there? and in what order? Also if you fail a test, do you get a second chance? 

41 minutes ago, TomLirrAC said:

Yikes! I don't know how to feel about that. I start class at the end of the month, and now Im extremely nervous. I hope I can pass these exams. How many exams are there? and in what order? Also if you fail a test, do you get a second chance? 

Nope you fail your out 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:41 PM, IronHorse said:

WTF!  Thats the second one ever and the 1st was from a new class in beginning of year.  Absolute shame, Jimmy Boyle must've been so freakin mad!!  Make it all that way and can't pass airbrake, wow!

Wow that's the 1st I'm 3ver hearing someone failing air brake that like the 2nd easiest test 

On 8/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, TomLirrAC said:

First exam is about 5 weeks into class, that is "Book of Rules". You need all your signals and definitions down perfectly, plus the buzzers, whistles, horns, hand signs, etc that they should have given you already, plus all the rules you are going to learn during those 5 or so weeks. 

Next is usually Air Brake. I forget how long we had for air brake instruction...maybe 2 weeks? It's pretty technical, so if that's not your thing, take good notes and pay attention. Generally a relatively easy test as long as you study.

Then there's Tickets. Again, I forget how long we had for instruction on Tickets, maybe 3 weeks? I found tickets to be easy, but some people struggle with it. 

The final test is called "PTEP", I can't even remember what it stands for but it's nothing to worry about. They do some lessons on emergency preparedness, and they take you down into the tunnels to see the evacuation routes and stuff. I highly doubt that anyone has ever failed PTEP...I'm not even sure it's possible to fail.

Overall, you really shouldn't worry too much about failing a test and losing the job. Statistically speaking, very few people fail out of the program, and the majority of those that do are not that "shocking" if you know what I mean. As long as you really want the job, you're going to keep the job.

@Two2Go Thanks alot for that info lol. So is the book of rules like the S & D exam, but with additional information? The book of rules sound pretty complicated. How many questions are on the book of rules exam? and do they ask for ALL the signals and definitions? or just a few of them? 

For an A/C, they only ask for some of the signals and definitions. (For your Qualifying Book of Rules exam a couple years later, you will need to answer ALL the signals, and you must get 100% correct...but that's way off in the future so don't worry about it now).

I wouldn't say it's like the S&D exam, because it's a whole lot more information than just signals and definitions. Again, those will be on your test (and you want as many as possible, since those are easy points for you), but they aren't the majority of the test. You will learn everything you need to know in those 5 weeks of class. Just make sure you pay attention, take great notes, ask questions when necessary, and study your ass off at home each night.

7 hours ago, sho3308 said:

Hey

I am attending open house at Hillside on Aug 21st.. So is it safe to say we should dress as if we are going on an interview? 

And also how long will we be there?

if you pass the tests you will be interviewed. i recommend dress to impress.

Assuming everything goes well for you, assume at least 4 hours at the Open House. Definitely "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". I couldn't believe how many people showed up in jeans and t-shirts...none of them got hired.

4 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Assuming everything goes well for you, assume at least 4 hours at the Open House. Definitely "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". I couldn't believe how many people showed up in jeans and t-shirts...none of them got hired.

Ok thank you!

9 hours ago, Ajay223 said:

Hey, I passed the S&D test in July and still haven’t heard anything yet. Just wondering if any one that passed in July received any news about a sept class?

It will be a while I’m from the may group and last I spoke to Linda it appears we will be in the Jan/February class 

18 minutes ago, MTA Groupie said:

so sorry to bother, but it seems like I can’t get this question answered.... how long before they put you in a class do you do medical and background checks?! 

You can’t get no answer because there isn’t one. The RR moves at their own pace when it comes to hiring. It could be quick or it can take some time. Just be patient 

46 minutes ago, MTA Groupie said:

so sorry to bother, but it seems like I can’t get this question answered.... how long before they put you in a class do you do medical and background checks?! 

It sounds like they changed the process since most of us hired on (even from just 2.5 years ago for me). For my group, we did the background check before receiving the invitation to the S&D overview. The hiring process went relatively quickly after passing the S&D test. I was an employee less than a month after the test, and medical was only about 2 weeks before my start date. I got my offer only 11 days before class started. But again, things sound very different now, so my answer is probably useless to you.