LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

3 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

just to ease your minds,  my class did not recieve overview invite until 3-4 days before the overview. We recieved the invite on a thursday and the overview was the following monday. After passing the aptitude test and being interviewed at the open house, i was told to look out for an invite to overview within the next week and that invite didnt come until 4-5 weeks later.  So everyone who made it to the interview at the open house, plan on being at the overview, the invite will come!!

Thank you for that!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MTA Groupie said:

Question about the job: how often do you pick  assignments?!

That's a tough question to answer, but I'll take a stab at it...

Officially, we pick jobs twice a year (aka "General Pick"). Once in the spring and once in the fall. The reality is that because of "trimming", your job can change a lot more often than once every 6 months. So, here's what the reality is:

At the "General Pick", everyone* picks a job, in seniority order. If there are more people than there are jobs, the people at the bottom of the roster don't get to own a job -- they become "Subject to Bid". They still work 5 days a week, covering assignments that are available, and they have days off (2 consecutive) assigned to them by the railroad.

*Remember how I said "everyone" picks a job? Well, anyone on vacation the week of the General Pick, along with anyone that is out on long-term leave (medical, FMLA, whatever) during the General Pick, doesn't have to pick a job until they get back. But, in the interest of "fairness", these people get to take any job that is now below them on the roster. This is called "trimming".

So, for example, if you are on vacation during the General Pick, the day you return from vacation, you will call up and put in a "trim" on whichever job you'd like that was picked by someone below you on the roster. That person will receive a phone call letting them know they were trimmed, and they will then have to do the same to someone below them on the roster. It goes on and on like that until the trims reach the bottom of the roster. When you are at the bottom and get trimmed with no more jobs below you available to trim, you become "Subject to Bid". 

Generally about 3 months into the "pick", the railroad will make minor adjustments to the schedule. For example, now that the summer is ending, they will stop running extra service out to the Hamptons and Montauk. Schedule changes mean that jobs are changing, and we call this a "revision". Anyone who's job is revised is automatically eligible to put in a trim, if they'd like to. So, if your job used to end at 11:01pm but now ends at 11:02pm, you can put in a trim on any job under you on the roster. If a train you work used to terminate in Farmingdale but now it terminates in Ronkonkoma, you can put in a trim on any job under you on the roster. You don't have to, but most people do. 

The number 1 guy on the roster never has to worry about being trimmed, no one is above him. Everyone else has to deal with trimming. Usually, the lower you are on the roster, the more trimming you will experience. It gets better with time, but when you're new, expect to be working all sorts of weird hours, changing schedules, etc. Trimming is absolutely the worst part of the job, but you get used to it.

15 hours ago, Two2Go said:

That's a tough question to answer, but I'll take a stab at it...

Officially, we pick jobs twice a year (aka "General Pick"). Once in the spring and once in the fall. The reality is that because of "trimming", your job can change a lot more often than once every 6 months. So, here's what the reality is:

At the "General Pick", everyone* picks a job, in seniority order. If there are more people than there are jobs, the people at the bottom of the roster don't get to own a job -- they become "Subject to Bid". They still work 5 days a week, covering assignments that are available, and they have days off (2 consecutive) assigned to them by the railroad.

*Remember how I said "everyone" picks a job? Well, anyone on vacation the week of the General Pick, along with anyone that is out on long-term leave (medical, FMLA, whatever) during the General Pick, doesn't have to pick a job until they get back. But, in the interest of "fairness", these people get to take any job that is now below them on the roster. This is called "trimming".

So, for example, if you are on vacation during the General Pick, the day you return from vacation, you will call up and put in a "trim" on whichever job you'd like that was picked by someone below you on the roster. That person will receive a phone call letting them know they were trimmed, and they will then have to do the same to someone below them on the roster. It goes on and on like that until the trims reach the bottom of the roster. When you are at the bottom and get trimmed with no more jobs below you available to trim, you become "Subject to Bid". 

Generally about 3 months into the "pick", the railroad will make minor adjustments to the schedule. For example, now that the summer is ending, they will stop running extra service out to the Hamptons and Montauk. Schedule changes mean that jobs are changing, and we call this a "revision". Anyone who's job is revised is automatically eligible to put in a trim, if they'd like to. So, if your job used to end at 11:01pm but now ends at 11:02pm, you can put in a trim on any job under you on the roster. If a train you work used to terminate in Farmingdale but now it terminates in Ronkonkoma, you can put in a trim on any job under you on the roster. You don't have to, but most people do. 

The number 1 guy on the roster never has to worry about being trimmed, no one is above him. Everyone else has to deal with trimming. Usually, the lower you are on the roster, the more trimming you will experience. It gets better with time, but when you're new, expect to be working all sorts of weird hours, changing schedules, etc. Trimming is absolutely the worst part of the job, but you get used to it.

Summary:  It's complicated.

Question, 

I have been in the process and was offered a position as Condutor Trainee for the Metro North, class starts in October, but I passed my LIRR S/D rest in July, does anyone know if I take the job for Metro North in the meantime while I’m waiting for the LIRR will it affect my chances of getting put in a A/C class ??? 

Any thoughts???

2 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

Question, 

I have been in the process and was offered a position as Condutor Trainee for the Metro North, class starts in October, but I passed my LIRR S/D rest in July, does anyone know if I take the job for Metro North in the meantime while I’m waiting for the LIRR will it affect my chances of getting put in a A/C class ??? 

Any thoughts???

Lirr is way better then metro North if I was you I would just wait it out it would be a waste of time and effort to go to metro North then quit and go to lirr 

3 hours ago, Member2016 said:

Lirr is way better then metro North if I was you I would just wait it out it would be a waste of time and effort to go to metro North then quit and go to lirr 

Are you sure about that?

5 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

Question, 

Any thoughts???

If you live on the island, LIRR.  If you live upstate or in Connecticut, MNR.  

Honestly, if MNR is a sure thing and you live in the city or north of the city, I’d go with MNR. LIRR is great, but so is MNR. They also qualify you in class at MNR, which is totally different from how LIRR does it. Once you graduate, you’re done, no more studying, no more stressing about your job. 

If you’re out on LI, then you’ve got a harder decision to make. I think MNR only gives you two hours to report (versus LIRR with 3 or 3.5 hours depending on the terminal). Can you get to Poughkeepsie with two hours notice?

10 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

Question, 

Any thoughts???

Take the job that is Guaranteed.

you’re time towards retirement starts the day you start with MNR, and it rolls over to LIRR if you get called for that.

MNR WILL NOT IMPEDE YOU BEING HIRED BY THE LIRR.

10 hours ago, NycHopeful718 said:

Take the job that is Guaranteed.

you’re time towards retirement starts the day you start with MNR, and it rolls over to LIRR if you get called for that.

MNR WILL NOT IMPEDE YOU BEING HIRED BY THE LIRR.

Retirement , just like you said does start that day. But seniority is king over retirement at either LIRR or MMR. If you hire on one and go to the other RR. You lose seniority. Which can control the jobs you want, vacations you want and more importantly money. I advise you just choose one and stick with it. 

22 minutes ago, LIRR 154 said:

Retirement , just like you said does start that day. But seniority is king over retirement at either LIRR or MMR. If you hire on one and go to the other RR. You lose seniority. Which can control the jobs you want, vacations you want and more importantly money. I advise you just choose one and stick with it. 

How does seniority control money? Pick of job with more overtime? 

Just a quick question on anyone who might have the knowledge -- is an accident on your driving record considered a moving violation? I was involved in a minor accident about 4 years ago (the only accident on my record) and I am hoping that this doesn't swindle my chances. Any thoughts would be appreciated :) Thank you!

SUPER SILLY QUESTION, BUT PLEASE HUMOR ME:

A friend of mine passed the initial exam and interview at the open house last month.

he has perfect credit, great work experience...

however, the genius now has a pending DUI case where he refused to blow when pulled over at the DUI CHECKPOINT.

is there any chance at all he gets hired?

i Told him go thru the process still , be honest, pray to god and wish on the stars. Personally, I think there’s no chance in hell he gets hired.

3 hours ago, Rizz said:

Just a quick question on anyone who might have the knowledge -- is an accident on your driving record considered a moving violation? I was involved in a minor accident about 4 years ago (the only accident on my record) and I am hoping that this doesn't swindle my chances. Any thoughts would be appreciated :) Thank you!

I don't think this would be a moving violation, unless you were issued a ticket as a result of the accident? I don't think it'll be a problem. I have a classmate who had a number of speeding tickets. He was rejected as an Engineer due to the speeding tickets, but they hired him as a conductor. One accident shouldn't cause a problem.

3 hours ago, NycHopeful718 said:

SUPER SILLY QUESTION, BUT PLEASE HUMOR ME:

A friend of mine passed the initial exam and interview at the open house last month.

he has perfect credit, great work experience...

however, the genius now has a pending DUI case where he refused to blow when pulled over at the DUI CHECKPOINT.

is there any chance at all he gets hired?

i Told him go thru the process still , be honest, pray to god and wish on the stars. Personally, I think there’s no chance in hell he gets hired.

I hate that companies are using Credit Report and Driver's License to weed out people. Do they want people to work or nah. 

5 minutes ago, Misslowe said:

I hate that companies are using Credit Report and Driver's License to weed out people. Do they want people to work or nah. 

Ummmmm, this is not your normal company.  Getting called is like winning the lotto.  The perks here are so good, they ain't handing this shit out for free.  He's got no chance.

25 minutes ago, Misslowe said:

Look at it from the railroad's perspective...they have thousands upon thousands of applicants for very few positions. They can afford to be picky.

On top of that, they are asking us to handle thousands of dollars in cash and safety-sensitive responsibilities. Credit report indicates how risky it is that the applicant might try to steal money (poor credit = high risk, obviously). Driving record indicates how responsible the applicant is. I wouldn't trust someone who has a DUI on their record to be able to open and close the doors safely, or throw a switch properly, etc etc. If they are OK with driving while drunk, how do I know they're not going to think its OK to show up to work drunk one day and open the doors off the platform at Nostrand Avenue? Some poor guy leaning against the doors then falls out of the train and falls to his death on Atlantic Ave. 

So, I guess to answer your question, "nah".

On 9/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, Two2Go said:

I don't think this would be a moving violation, unless you were issued a ticket as a result of the accident? I don't think it'll be a problem. I have a classmate who had a number of speeding tickets. He was rejected as an Engineer due to the speeding tickets, but they hired him as a conductor. One accident shouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. And no, there was no ticket issued just a normal police report. Definitely relieved some tension on my end as I anticipate for the open house in 14 days. 

Also -- Good luck to all who's attending the overview in a few days :)!!

20 hours ago, snoopys16 said:

I got mine too!  and they already gave us signals to study, well I'll take any extra days I can get 

When they email you for the overview they send you horn, buzzer, whistle and hand signs... that’s just an example for the moment. Don’t study that.. at the overview they will give you the materials you’ll need to study... signal and definitions