LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

10 hours ago, Sean said:

Got back from the overview today and started to make the index cards. My hands are about to fall off from all the writing. For those who passed the exam, did you study the definitions first or the signals? Just trying to get an idea of what to study first.

I did 4 definitions and 7 signals a day, then the next day I would review an hour or so before starting the next batch, this leaves you a lot of time for review

Also, anyone who passed the test on July 16 hear anything yet??? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Two2Go said:

I recommend doing the signal names first, for a couple reasons. First, you must get 100% correct on the signal names, so they are the most important part of the test. They are also the easiest thing you have to study, so it's a nice confidence boost when you are able to get them all done in about a week. Once you have those down, move onto the signal indications, so you can put some meaning behind the signals you just learned. And then finally do the definitions. You may want to intersperse some definitions in with the indications and do them together. 

Strange business studying signals not at same time as indications.  I couldn't see myself learning them in 2 stages like that.  

4 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

Strange business studying signals not at same time as indications.  I couldn't see myself learning them in 2 stages like that.  

For me, the goal was to just learn it, not understand it. On the exam, I actually went through and answered all the signal names first, then I went back and wrote out the indications later. I got 100, so it worked for me lol

1 minute ago, Two2Go said:

For me, the goal was to just learn it, not understand it. On the exam, I actually went through and answered all the signal names first, then I went back and wrote out the indications later. I got 100, so it worked for me lol

Nice!  I got a 100 too.  Anyway you get it done is all that matters.  I have classmates that learned from making audio logs of themselves reciting definitions. Worked for them but never could I do that.  

3 hours ago, fd87 said:

I agree with iron horse. I learned them separately. I passed with a 100 on July 16. Still waiting.....

The instructor during the overview said classes are *most likely* early 2019, hopefully you receive info on the medical soon

@IronHorse and @Two2Go thanks for the tips you both mentioned. 100 is the goal!

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate it. Got to finish up the index cards today and study my ass off. 

I just wrote out my index cards as I went, every night I would write out like 10 to study the next day, instead of writing all 200+ in one night 

30 minutes ago, Joeybats said:

Do indications need to be verbatim as well? 

yes indications verbatim too 

11 minutes ago, Joeybats said:

So they ask you all 73 definitions and all signals on the exam? 

No. They ask you 25 definitions and 25 signal names and indications.  Chances are you’re not going to pass if you don’t know the entire study packet cold by test time though. If you know them cold it doesn’t matter if they ask you for  25 S&D’s or all 200. 

13 hours ago, Joeybats said:

I have 8 definitions that I need to clean up a little but otherwise I know it pretty good. 

You have plenty of time. Just spend the next few days going strong and cleaning everything up. It’s not an easy exam by any means but it’s doable for anyone who puts in the time. I took the test back in May...... 36 people showed, 14 walked out, 10 failed and 12 of us passed. Go hard and you’ll be there at the end. Good luck to everyone on Monday!!