LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

On 12/2/2018 at 11:56 AM, Suffolkbull3 said:

Without a doubt, you will have a zone a signal or two on your test. I know the zone a signals throw a monkey wrench into everything but as long as you put the time in to study everything, you will be fine. There are no shortcuts when studying, if u get one signal name wrong on your test you fail the entire test. Good luck to you. Its such a great feeling when you find out that you passed the test. 

Is the definitions the hardest part or Both? I’m studying now. What type of definitions did they typically include on your test? Did the CD help?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, THarlem said:

Is the definitions the hardest part or Both? I’m studying now. What type of definitions did they typically include on your test? Did the CD help?

Everyones different let me first say that.. For me, i believe the definitions were much harder than signals. There are like roughly 4 or so different signals that all have the same meaning so it was easier for me. As for the definitions all of them have different meanings so its a lot of information to memorize. 

The best piece of advice i can give to you is you have to study EVERYTHING because the truth of the matter is that anyone of the definitions can be on your test and the same with signals. i highly doubt the signals that dont have any indication will be on the test but know them anyway.

People will give you mixed answers for the cd. i found the cd to be absolutely useful and i did use it quite often when i had everything memorized because it will help you for when it comes test time and you have to write all your answers out on paper. i actually loved the cd. 

Lastly, i know it seems like a tremendous amount of information to memorize and the truth is that is really is a lot. The good news for you is that if you put in the time, you will absolutely memorize all of it. My guess is for the people who fail which is many many people, they are the ones who try to find short cuts to studying when there are no short cuts. They do not put the necassary time in so they fail. If you study hard and put the HOURS and weeks in, i PROMISE you that you will pass the test. I wish you the best of luck! You have such a wonderful oppertunity!!!! DO NOT LET IT SLIP THROUGH YOUR HANDS! PUT THE TIME IN!

3 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

ok i guess i will try to email linda or michelle tomorrow morning or both of them. Are you on the job fd87? if not what stage are you at in this process? did u pass sd test? when?

Hey guys I’ve been keeping up with this forum since i applied for this job but never made an account until I knew I was rolling .. I’ve been very patient but when someone said they had gotten an email the other day that passed in October I emailed Linda just asking her if I was still a candidate for the position. (I passed July 16th). She emailed me back about 20 minutes later asking if I was interested in the February 13th class and sent me links to start the background. Hope this helps. 

I wanted to give an update. Thanks to the advice from fd87, i emailed linda this morning and told her my story. About 3 hours later i recieved a reply from linda asking me if i am interested im being in the class that starts feb 13!!!! I told her yes and then she replied with the link to start my background check!!!! Happiest person in the world right now!!!!

THANK YOU FD87!!!! My family thanks you as well for the GREAT advice!

1 minute ago, Mikey23 said:

I wanted to give an update. Thanks to the advice from fd87, i emailed linda this morning and told her my story. About 3 hours later i recieved a reply from linda asking me if i am interested im being in the class that starts feb 13!!!! I told her yes and then she replied with the link to start my background check!!!! Happiest person in the world right now!!!!

THANK YOU FD87!!!! My family thanks you as well for the GREAT advice!

Your welcome my friend!! One word of advice make sure you have all your ducks in a row for the background check and make sure it matches your resume and original application. 

On 11/29/2018 at 12:13 PM, Mikey23 said:

Hi everyone.. i passed my sd test in july and i was wondering if anyone has heard anything about any upcoming classes at all? im starting to get nervous being that its almost 5 months and i have still yet to hear anything at all about any upcoming classes. Can someone please let me know if there is any word or even rumors about upcoming classes. thank u all.

Email Linda Oliver and her assistant if you want the job.  There's no point to sit here in this forum pondering your dilemma of what to do.  Email those 2 people, CC them both.  It's been stated in here numerous times if they ain't calling, you need to reach out to them.  

39 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

Email Linda Oliver and her assistant if you want the job.  There's no point to sit here in this forum pondering your dilemma of what to do.  Email those 2 people, CC them both.  It's been stated in here numerous times if they ain't calling, you need to reach out to them.  

Well if you would have taken the time to read ALL the posts, You would have read that i did reach out to linda today and im scheduled for feb 13th class. 

i wish you wouldve read whats written before you give any advice.

4 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Well if you would have taken the time to read ALL the posts, You would have read that i did reach out to linda today and im scheduled for feb 13th class. 

Congrats new guy. Good luck, hope your tone in your posts don’t reflect how you are in real life. 

7 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Hey Linda, we got a real winner here!!

8 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Sorry for not reading all former posts in the forum and offending your honor you friggin tool!  I hope you fail rules and save the railroad the trouble!

11 hours ago, bp98 said:

Hey Linda, we got a real winner here!!

Of all the things you can say on here, you decide to say this? foh

10 hours ago, IronHorse said:

Sorry for not reading all former posts in the forum and offending your honor you friggin tool!  I hope you fail rules and save the railroad the trouble!

This was your true intention when you last posted. How can you want anyone to fail? And yet i am the bad person? 

2 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

This was your true intention when you last posted. How can you want anyone to fail? And yet i am the bad person? 

Yeah, you're right, now you are the bad person. Lol.  Quit your crying

4 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm getting a background check done with MNRR, I see LIRR and MNRR both use Sterling, how long did the process take when they ask for additional w-2s and such I gotta get some old stuff from the IRS. Anyone got any insight, would be much appreciated.

Mine took around 2 weeks. I gave them W-2, tax documents and earning statement from social security office. It might say consider after they finish the background check but don't worry too much about it. They will likely contact you if there is an issue.

Edited by Noob

38 minutes ago, Noob said:

Mine took around 2 weeks. I gave them W-2, tax documents and earning statement from social security office. It might say consider after they finish the background check but don't worry too much about it. They will likely contact you if there is an issue.

Thank you so much ! Im really hoping this all goes smoothly.

3 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

crying? im not crying, im the happiest person in the world right now! why r u such a dkhead?

Whoa whoa Mikey. No need for that in here. Ironhorse has helped me in the past multiple times and to be honest he was right it’s been said multiple times in this forum to stay in contact with HR. Everyone in here helps each other no need for negative comments... 

1 hour ago, Noob said:

How did you send the paperwork and stuff I replied to the email they had sent asking for the stuff.

Edited by Thinklikeamango

6 hours ago, Mikey23 said:

Can't wait till' you get out on the trains, cupcake.  Passengers are gonna' love you.  Coworkers too for that matter, lol.  

14 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

How did you send the paperwork and stuff I replied to the email they had sent asking for the stuff.

I scanned the documents and made them into PDF files, and you can download your own tax record on IRS website (There should a link in one of  their email). 

I dont know why you guys are coming at me like this but its uncalled for. This is all because ironhorse couldnt take the time out to read a few posts before he gave his two cents. Everyone else should just mind their business.  Dont worry about my career with the railroad! Im not here for any of you, i am here for myself! 

Thanks again fd87, it seems your the only standup guy in this entire forum. Thank you again for your advice. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey23 said:

I dont know why you guys are coming at me like this but its uncalled for. This is all because ironhorse couldnt take the time out to read a few posts before he gave his two cents. Everyone else should just mind their business.  Dont worry about my career with the railroad! Im not here for any of you, i am here for myself! 

Thanks again fd87, it seems your the only standup guy in this entire forum. Thank you again for your advice. 

WOW!!  You are some piece of work my friend! Ironhorse is a cool dude and he has helped so many people on this thread and thats how you talk to someone who was trying to HELP YOU!?!? I have news for you, NOONE cares about YOUR career which will be a very SHORT career at lirr with a personality and attitude like that lol. 

ps.... Dont forget it was YOU who came into this thread asking everyone for help with YOUR career and fd was nice enough to give you great advice which helped in getting you into the feb class! Start wising up!

Edited by Suffolkbull3