LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/5/2018 at 12:27 AM, Suffolkbull3 said:

Everyones different let me first say that.. For me, i believe the definitions were much harder than signals. There are like roughly 4 or so different signals that all have the same meaning so it was easier for me. As for the definitions all of them have different meanings so its a lot of information to memorize. 

The best piece of advice i can give to you is you have to study EVERYTHING because the truth of the matter is that anyone of the definitions can be on your test and the same with signals. i highly doubt the signals that dont have any indication will be on the test but know them anyway.

People will give you mixed answers for the cd. i found the cd to be absolutely useful and i did use it quite often when i had everything memorized because it will help you for when it comes test time and you have to write all your answers out on paper. i actually loved the cd. 

Lastly, i know it seems like a tremendous amount of information to memorize and the truth is that is really is a lot. The good news for you is that if you put in the time, you will absolutely memorize all of it. My guess is for the people who fail which is many many people, they are the ones who try to find short cuts to studying when there are no short cuts. They do not put the necassary time in so they fail. If you study hard and put the HOURS and weeks in, i PROMISE you that you will pass the test. I wish you the best of luck! You have such a wonderful oppertunity!!!! DO NOT LET IT SLIP THROUGH YOUR HANDS! PUT THE TIME IN!

Thank you. I’ve done as much studying as I can. Praying I pass

5 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Hey guys what does complete consider mean on the background report from Sterling?

I had the same problem. It's been a few years now for me, but I think you want it to say "Clear" rather than "Consider". I'd call them and see what the hang up is. It's probably something minor. For me, it was because I had listed each job title that I held at my old employer as a separate job (I was promoted a few times). When Sterling went to check that I was actually employed there, the dates I gave didn't match what my old employer's automated employment verification system provided, because I had listed the specific dates that I held each title, rather than just saying that I worked at the company from 2007 to 2011.

I called them and explained the situation, then they had a human call and speak to my former boss (rather than the automated system) and a few days later it changed from "Consider" to "Clear".

Edited by Two2Go

On 12/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, JHP87 said:

Speaking of safety shoes, should I bother purchasing new black safety shoes/boots before class begins or should I stick with my current work boots until (God willing)  it’s actually time to start working trains? 

If you have a pair of shoes that meet the requirements, just use those for your time in class. The only requirement is that the shoe has a "defined heel" which isn't bigger than 1 inch, and I believe the eyelets need to be metal. For when you're working the trains, in addition to that, the shoe needs to be black and needs to be made of leather which can be polished. You do NOT need steel/composite toe and you do NOT need boots. I went through a bunch of pairs of shoes that killed my feet before I finally spent some real money and got a pair of Red Wings. Totally worth it.  http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/133-red-wing-shoes/133-red-wing-mens-oxford-black

9 hours ago, Two2Go said:

If you have a pair of shoes that meet the requirements, just use those for your time in class. The only requirement is that the shoe has a "defined heel" which isn't bigger than 1 inch, and I believe the eyelets need to be metal. For when you're working the trains, in addition to that, the shoe needs to be black and needs to be made of leather which can be polished. You do NOT need steel/composite toe and you do NOT need boots. I went through a bunch of pairs of shoes that killed my feet before I finally spent some real money and got a pair of Red Wings. Totally worth it.  http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/133-red-wing-shoes/133-red-wing-mens-oxford-black

Thanks for clearing that up. I have boots that’ll work for class so I can hold off a few more months before I have to purchase new ones. 

13 hours ago, Two2Go said:

I had the same problem. It's been a few years now for me, but I think you want it to say "Clear" rather than "Consider". I'd call them and see what the hang up is. It's probably something minor. For me, it was because I had listed each job title that I held at my old employer as a separate job (I was promoted a few times). When Sterling went to check that I was actually employed there, the dates I gave didn't match what my old employer's automated employment verification system provided, because I had listed the specific dates that I held each title, rather than just saying that I worked at the company from 2007 to 2011.

I called them and explained the situation, then they had a human call and speak to my former boss (rather than the automated system) and a few days later it changed from "Consider" to "Clear".

Not really my background is still on complete consider and it says pending and I’m in the Jan class

4 hours ago, JHP87 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I have boots that’ll work for class so I can hold off a few more months before I have to purchase new ones. 

I actually wear steel toe timberland pro's.  The upside is when I'm caught in the hustle bustle flow of passengers if my feet get stomped I don't feel it however if I stomp on someone's foot walking through the train consist they will most definitely feel it!  

I passed the test last month and currently waiting for the background check link from Linda. I just noticed I left out 2 jobs I worked for 8 years ago on the resume. Worked at the 2 places for a month but got a w2 on. How should I go about this? I think I read @TomLirrAC saying he added the jobs on the job application on the sterling link? Please advise. 

2 hours ago, Sean said:

I passed the test last month and currently waiting for the background check link from Linda. I just noticed I left out 2 jobs I worked for 8 years ago on the resume. Worked at the 2 places for a month but got a w2 on. How should I go about this? I think I read @TomLirrAC saying he added the jobs on the job application on the sterling link? Please advise. 

I would include the 2 jobs on the background check. Also, I would see if there's a way to upload an updated resume onto the MTA's employment website so that your application has all the jobs you worked. If not, you may want to e-mail Linda and send her a copy of your newest resume. This was almost 3 years ago now, but during my Open House she was very clear that the jobs listed on your application, resume and background check must all match exactly.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Thanks for the info @Two2Go.  I'll add the 2 jobs and send the updated resume when she sends me the link for background.  

Same thing happened with me. I lost all of my documents in Sandy and forgot about 2 part timers. I got my hands on a social security document that showed my job history and they were both listed. I just emailed Linda to see if it would be an issue. I hope it’s not a problem. 

11 hours ago, Ajay223 said:

Does lirr offer parking during the training period?

Yes, once you are an employee you can access the parking lot inside Holban Yard (across the street from Hillside).  But parking there is really hard to come by, and being a new employee on probation, you can't afford to potentially not get a spot and be late for class. Take the train if at all possible.

7 minutes ago, Handsomeheff said:

I am a current employee with NYCT can LIRR disqualify you if you have poor attendance record with transit ?

I don’t know. They probably will look into your past or they probably won’t. I don’t mean to get into your business but I hope there was a reasonable explanation for your poor attendance. Reporting for jobs at the RR are on a different level from Transit. Your first year will not be easy.

46 minutes ago, Handsomeheff said:

I am a current employee with NYCT can LIRR disqualify you if you have poor attendance record with transit ?

My guess is that LIRR has no access to those records, they treat NYCT as just another external employer. But the reality is that if you have attendance issues, this might not be the job for you. They are really, really strict about attendance. They don't care if your car got a flat tire, they don't care that your subway was late, they don't care if there's a foot of snow on the ground, and they don't care that there are no LIRR trains scheduled to get you to your report location on time...if you don't show up, or you show up late, you will lose your job (while on probation, anyway). 

4 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

My guess is that LIRR has no access to those records, they treat NYCT as just another external employer. But the reality is that if you have attendance issues, this might not be the job for you. They are really, really strict about attendance. They don't care if your car got a flat tire, they don't care that your subway was late, they don't care if there's a foot of snow on the ground, and they don't care that there are no LIRR trains scheduled to get you to your report location on time...if you don't show up, or you show up late, you will lose your job (while on probation, anyway). 

Well the no LIRR trains to get you to your report time isn’t your fault. A late or canceled legal deadhead is their problem not yours. But I agree with everything else you said.

Edited by LIRR 154

Just now, LIRR 154 said:

Well the no LIRR trains to get you to your report time isn’t your fault. A late or canceled legal deadhead is their problem not yours. But I agree with everything else you said.

No, I meant when there are just no deadheads scheduled at all. I've had to report to Speonk and the only train to get me there was like 5 hours beforehand...and they only gave me 4 hours notice. If I didn't have a car, I'd be screwed. 

On 12/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, JHP87 said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, it’s only a urine test but they’re strict about the procedure. They make you certify that your specimen container kit hasn’t  been tampered with, you have to wash your hands before you can even touch it and you have to initial your specimen when it’s all done acknowledging kind of that you witnessed your urine’s chain of command. 

This is how it goes for all DOT regulated drug tests. They have actually defined this as the procedure, right down to you picking the container it goes in. 

10 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

No, I meant when there are just no deadheads scheduled at all. I've had to report to Speonk and the only train to get me there was like 5 hours beforehand...and they only gave me 4 hours notice. If I didn't have a car, I'd be screwed. 

Gotcha