LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Already memorized 77 of the 125 signals. To me the signals are EASY AS CAKE.

The definitions are going to be a pain and the challenge. Some of these lengthy definitions are KILLER.

A friend on the RR told me definitions were harder and to master those 1st. I got 30 down in 1st week. But they mess with your head. Gotta review the ones you know all the time.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone passing the exam, i know the instructor at our overview said punctuation and even spelling doesn't matter as long as they can make out the word, lol, however....what about dashes between names in definitions including for signals? Anyone know. Like block limit sometimes has one in definitions but sometimes doesn't.

3 weeks to go. Got 60/72 definitions and 77/125 signals down. 2 weeks will be used for complete review. How is everyone else doing?

I'm good! Definitions done, signals start tomorrow. Only enough time if you started right away. Not too many people in here for our test class i think. Most others are passed the test.

Hey Ironhorse,

I JUST got the email confirmation regarding the test for July 17th @ 8am. I just RSVP'd for attendance. And you are definitely right, been hammering away at the flash cards/notes.

As for the signals, theres no big secret other than doing what I did with the definitions: Flash Cards. They especially become easier once you realize the patterns/layouts. 2 1/2 weeks to go, keep at it everyday for at least 3-4 hours theres no reason why we wont pass this thing.

Hey Ironhorse,

I JUST got the email confirmation regarding the test for July 17th @ 8am. I just RSVP'd for attendance. And you are definitely right, been hammering away at the flash cards/notes.

As for the signals, theres no big secret other than doing what I did with the definitions: Flash Cards. They especially become easier once you realize the patterns/layouts. 2 1/2 weeks to go, keep at it everyday for at least 3-4 hours theres no reason why we wont pass this thing.

Cool! Yeah, i didn't get email regarding test yet but wasn't sure if they'd send another one out. I'll be looking for it. I'm 100% with definitions and grinding signals now. Looking forward to the 17th but time is flying by for sure.

Exactly 2 weeks left for me.

Got my invitation email for the 12th.

Stupid question, its 25 questions for definitions and 25 questions for signals, right?

I talked to a conductor and he said that he got tested for all definitions and signals.

You are correct. We only have 50 questions total 25 and 25. Good luck to you my friend when the day comes. This here is definitely a rat race.

I think worse than failing straight up would be to ace exam, do well on panel interview and to never hear back again. That has got to be killer!

Edited by IronHorse

I think worse than failing straight up would be to ace exam, do well on panel interview and to never hear back again. That has got to be killer!

Once we all ace this test, whatever happens next will be out of our control. We can rest easy at night knowing we gave it our all and seized the opportunity. The biggest regret would be not dedicating enough time to our studies and always wondering "what if I had passed..."  ;)  Either way we got this! Check in with you guys next week.