LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Congrats CT1988. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

How is everyone feeling with the material so far? Been reviewing definitions and signals over and over and over and over..... Feeling very confident with over a week left to go. Crazy how at first it seemed like 5 weeks wouldnt be enough but now it seems so doable.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How often does a conductor have to observe train signals? Do they have to stick their head out of a window to see them? Also, does the Assistant Conductor AND the Conductor have to read signals or does the AC work up to that until they qualify for full conductor? Not sure if anyone can answer for me.

Also, has anyone here made it into a class and if so can you tell me what the experience was like and/or how soon after the class was over did you start riding the trains as an AC? Do you have health insurance before you become an AC?

Congrats CT1988. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

How is everyone feeling with the material so far? Been reviewing definitions and signals over and over and over and over..... Feeling very confident with over a week left to go. Crazy how at first it seemed like 5 weeks wouldnt be enough but now it seems so doable.

Hey Gun,

I'm ready. I got last 12 signals to learn tomorrow and then a week plus to review. I know all definitions by heart and most signals as well. It went well for me but i did have to put in work for it. At this point i just cant wait for test day

How often does a conductor have to observe train signals? Do they have to stick their head out of a window to see them? Also, does the Assistant Conductor AND the Conductor have to read signals or does the AC work up to that until they qualify for full conductor? Not sure if anyone can answer for me.

Also, has anyone here made it into a class and if so can you tell me what the experience was like and/or how soon after the class was over did you start riding the trains as an AC? Do you have health insurance before you become an AC?

Unfortunately, I can not answer these questions but I tip my hat to you, they are ultra specific. 9 days of review till my test day, pumped up for this!

Any advice on the panel interview should one pass the S&D exam? I keep hearing just keep safety and customer service at the forefront. But wondering if there was any other info given to those who went through it.

Pretty quiet in here, I'd just reference all the posts on this thread going back to beginning. Seems the panel interview everyone agrees they feel like they did bad but that it doesn't matter that much as long as you answer to the best of your ability. Coming up quick!

Hey guys. I know it's been a while ! I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I'm finally headed to medical this week. Anyone going through background be patient because it can take a while!

CT,

how long did your back check take?  Been in contact with Fed and they've been back and forth with us a few times on things not matching in paperwork but back check is all completed consider/clear so any timeframe would be appreciated.  also how are you dressing for medical my brother in mnrr said dress bus casual but I've seen some say dress comfortably due to the PAT.  TIA.

CT,

how long did your back check take?  Been in contact with Fed and they've been back and forth with us a few times on things not matching in paperwork but back check is all completed consider/clear so any timeframe would be appreciated.  also how are you dressing for medical my brother in mnrr said dress bus casual but I've seen some say dress comfortably due to the PAT.  TIA.

Hey Dre,

Man it took quite a while. There were some issues with paperwork not matching up for me as well. it took a month for things to get cleared up but it finally did so just hang in there. For medical I just wore a t-shirt, sneakers and a pair of jeans; nothing too serious. Hope this helps 

Hey Dre,

Man it took quite a while. There were some issues with paperwork not matching up for me as well. it took a month for things to get cleared up but it finally did so just hang in there. For medical I just wore a t-shirt, sneakers and a pair of jeans; nothing too serious. Hope this helps 

Hey CT,

thanks for the info, did they give you a start date or no? I guess some people have been given a tentative start date with the conditional offer?

Hey CT,

thanks for the info, did they give you a start date or no? I guess some people have been given a tentative start date with the conditional offer?

Yeah. My start date is still going to be 8/2 (which i believe is the beginning of the 3 day orientation) .

Hey CT or Dre,

When you guys say after exam it took a month to fix mismatched paperwork, can you tell me what needs to be fixed? I already had a discrepancy between my resume and paperwork that held me up a month or so and was hoping to gain some insight so i can be ready to minimize problems ahead. TIA

What do you guys mean by paperwork not matching resume? The paperwork from their background check?

Yes.  They need the resume to match the application and background check.  so if it doesn't match you'll get a call to fix the paperwork.  no big deal just go through the motions and give them what they want.

Yea, honestly I didn't put in the hours needed to memorize everything. So I don't want to risk getting a extremely low score that will be kept on file. So I'm debating on whether or not to go.

Listen, if you think you're gonna fail, don't bother. If you think you got a chance, give it a go! If you don't go OR fail, the result is same. Reapply a year from now and do it again. How unsure of everything are you?