LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Burner11801 said:

What shoes do you guys recommend? I heard someone talk  about a pair of Nike’s that are acceptable but never caught the name of the style. Can anyone help? 

I'd recommend a rugged boot, black w/ heel, that can take a beating.  You're gonna be walking thru puke, piss, train yards, rocks, rough terrain, anything you can thing of.  

21 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

I'd recommend a rugged boot, black w/ heel, that can take a beating.  You're gonna be walking thru puke, piss, train yards, rocks, rough terrain, anything you can thing of.  

You’re awesome thank you. I assume black timberlands would be considered acceptable?

On 1/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, Burner11801 said:

What shoes do you guys recommend? I heard someone talk  about a pair of Nike’s that are acceptable but never caught the name of the style. Can anyone help? 

I use the timberland resistor in black.  "ANSI" certified just in case you inadvertently touch the third rail, you might not die horribly.  Composite toe so the doors of an M3 don't crush your foot when they slam closed.  Nice defined heel so you wont fall off a train when you climb up in a yard.  They shine up nicely too!  

Remember, if you buy anything that is used only for the RR, including boots, you get a tax credit for them so save all of your receipts.

Hey all,

I was also invited to the open house March 1st, and I have to say this thread has been very informative. Reading over the answers has really made me have a passion to get this job, and I am prepared to study my butt off for all aspects of this job. A couple of questions I have which I can't find the answer to: 1) For the open house what should I wear since I know there is an interview portion (I plan to wear a suit currently), 2) I know this is down the line, but during the Physical exam do they test for color blindness, and if so do they use the Ishihara test? 

Sorry all, one last question: I only have my interim Drivers License at the moment (paper copy given by NYC DMV) as I had to switch my out of state license. Will this be acceptable for the open house? I can also bring any other documents necessary to prove I am who the license says obviously. Thanks in advance! 

5 hours ago, RRhopeful said:

Sorry all, one last question: I only have my interim Drivers License at the moment (paper copy given by NYC DMV) as I had to switch my out of state license. Will this be acceptable for the open house? I can also bring any other documents necessary to prove I am who the license says obviously. Thanks in advance! 

Should be no problem. Just make sure you bring possibly your old license with your face on it. 

Hey guys, I’m scheduled for the 3/1 open house as well. Are there any tips on what to study for the exam? I’m currently studying basic math, some fractions and some mechanical diagrams.

secondly, I’ve kinda screwed up the past 4 months on my credit card bill since I’ve been out of a job.

How does LIRR look at bad credit especially since this is cash handling job?is it a death sentence or a maybe. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, NycHopeful718 said:

Hey guys, I’m scheduled for the 3/1 open house as well. Are there any tips on what to study for the exam? I’m currently studying basic math, some fractions and some mechanical diagrams.

secondly, I’ve kinda screwed up the past 4 months on my credit card bill since I’ve been out of a job.

How does LIRR look at bad credit especially since this is cash handling job?is it a death sentence or a maybe. 

Thanks in advance. 

In summary:

-There are unfortunately no tips for passing the initial screening test.  Studying fractions and "mechanical diagrams" isn't going to help.  if you can add 3 digit numbers together without a calculator in a reasonable amount of time, then you're fine.  

-From what I remember (someone who has gone through the process recently please feel free to add) they do look at your credit.  Nothing is a death sentence IMO, they are looking for people who can memorize signals and definitions and spit them out verbatim, can show up early, and to dress properly (including safety shoes).  The RR is looking for bodies to fill the ranks, not for the ideal candidate.  

Took the cognitive, math and vocabulary test on 3/1. Passed all and my interview went ok. When can I expect an email invite for the s&d overview? Linda said the next overview is on 4/16. At what point should I start to worry that I won’t be invited? 

4 minutes ago, RayS said:

Took the cognitive, math and vocabulary test on 3/1. Passed all and my interview went ok. When can I expect an email invite for the s&d overview? Linda said the next overview is on 4/16. At what point should I start to worry that I won’t be invited? 

I’m in the same boat brother, the interviewer said he will recommend me. So I hope I pass the background and credit check(my credit sucks). The gentleman said keep an eye out and he said it’s usually 2-3 weeks after the exam so I guess we’ll see.

Side note: the way they call names out to let you know you failed made my heart skip a beat lol.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, NycHopeful718 said:

I’m in the same boat brother, the interviewer said he will recommend me. So I hope I pass the background and credit check(my credit sucks). The gentleman said keep an eye out and he said it’s usually 2-3 weeks after the exam so I guess we’ll see.

Side note: the way they call names out to let you know you failed made my heart skip a beat lol.

Yeah, my heart was pounding when they were calling names. I was extremely relieved to make it through. 

I still haven’t heard anything about the s&d overview but I’m a little nervous because I don’t remember my interviewer saying she’d be recommending me to move on. We’ll see. Luckily I have good credit, but do they look into that before or after the s&d test? 

27 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

I just received the invitation to the April 6th open house. My concern is that I have an upcoming hip surgery planned for June 20th. If I make it to the next step how should I proceed? Will I be disqualified because of the pending surgery?

I just curious, how long ago did you apply?  Did they email you the invitation? Sorry for being nosy but just wanted to get a heads up, appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks.

Just now, N1CKR said:

I just curious, how long ago did you apply?  Did they email you the invitation? Sorry for being nosy but just wanted to get a heads up, appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks.

I applied last year and heard nothing. I applied again when it was open in Feb.  They emailed it to me. 

Edited by thegameksk

2 minutes ago, N1CKR said:

Yeah I applied in Feb also, looks like my application hasn't even passed screening. Good luck, I hope the surgery part doesn't pose problem. 

Looking at my app my application from last year is the one that passed prescreening. The one from this year just says applied.