LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RRhopeful said:

Hey everyone, 

Just got my invite for the Signals and Definitions overview on April 16th!! Hope to see you all there!

17 minutes ago, NycHopeful718 said:

See you there man. I’m already studying the Info in the attachment.

Congrats!!  I’ll see you there. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Is anyone taking the beginner exams this Friday? Anyone have any advice for those taking the tests? I have taken the MTA Operator and MTA police exams and passed both. I'm hoping these exams are similar to those. 

Not even close. You’re going to deal with flow charts and all kind of goodies. It’s not hard , but it throws people off.

2 minutes ago, LIRR 154 said:

Not even close. You’re going to deal with flow charts and all kind of goodies. It’s not hard , but it throws people off.

So is the the type of test where the majority of the answers are within the test itself? 

I took the Asst. Conductor test

1. The first test was vocab - This was easy.

2. The next part was Cognitive Ability - This part was the worst part 

3. The third part was  Logic reasoning - Not bad

4. The last part was flow charts 

The moral here is you cant study for this test, you have to know someone in the LIRR TO PASS TEST. They will be the only ones that would give you the right way to answer the questions on the second part. This is to I think sucumvent nepitisem 

So you pass this pre testing and get this job. Then there is a second test signals and definitions, then you pass that.

Then you have 2 years till you have to pass the conductors test. If you fail the conducters test 7 times you loose your job. Good luck. 

If you have a family you shouldnt take that risk. I also would put on the application that your unable to work weekends or nights. 

You also will have to call in to work everyday for a shift. If it is 3am in southhampton you have to drive yourself there. Have fun. 

This is not the best job in the LIRR system. It is a job that at every corner they are looking for reasons to fire you in the first 12 months. 

please i know you see online their saleries, but those are poeple that got in under the easy test. 

I wish you the best of luck. I would find it very stressful to go though 5 tests, Then after about 5-7 years of working they terminate your employment for not passing the conductor test. At my current job after 5 years cant get fired. 

If I was in your shoes, I would have a plan B just in case. This job there are just too many varitables that may or may not get you terminated. 

When I went, the LIRR staff was loyal to one another. But to new people coming in they approached everyone as like, they were better than you. 

I will say in closing, LIRR ridership is going down, their On-Time perforamance sucks.  There is actually a lady in wantauge suing them for their lack of on-time performance.

I would say at the end of the open house I went to the washout rate was 80%. Out of 125 ppl, 30 passed. That is really not a good thing. 

after signals and definations that will drop to  20 ppl

Really 125 ppl and at the end of the process the real number is 17 ppl that graduate. 

This would be the right job for me, LIRR Usher at penn station @ 200,000.00 a year is more my speed. 

I wish you the best of luck once again.

4 hours ago, thegameksk said:

I passed. It deff throw me off and I thought I failed. Now just waiting to see if I get an invite. 

Way to go!! You really can’t study for this test but you obviously did well enough to make it to the interviews. I took the initial open house test on 3/1. I received my email invitation to the s&d overview on 3/19 and the overview is on 4/16. I’m ready to do whatever it takes to make sure I pass that test with flying colors. 

Good evening,

I took the entrance exam today... however,  I did not pass... they said if you don't pass you could apply in a year.. my questioned is to any one who took the exam and failed... did u reapply????? N did u get a invite again....what r the chances of getting a call back.... and how often do they put out this exam.......

23 minutes ago, Kroberts said:

Good evening,

I took the entrance exam today... however,  I did not pass... they said if you don't pass you could apply in a year.. my questioned is to any one who took the exam and failed... did u reapply????? N did u get a invite again....what r the chances of getting a call back.... and how often do they put out this exam.......

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is to keep applying if it’s a job you really want and are passionate about. There’s no guarantees you’ll get called again but there’s no guarantees you won’t. Apply, apply , apply and if you get the opportunity to take the entrance exam again you’ll have a leg up because you’ve already seen it before. 

8 hours ago, Dreamer said:

The moral here is you cant study for this test, you have to know someone in the LIRR TO PASS TEST. They will be the only ones that would give you the right way to answer the questions on the second part. This is to I think sucumvent nepitisem 

So you pass this pre testing and get this job. Then there is a second test signals and definitions, then you pass that.

Then you have 2 years till you have to pass the conductors test. If you fail the conducters test 7 times you loose your job. Good luck. 

If you have a family you shouldnt take that risk. I also would put on the application that your unable to work weekends or nights. 

You also will have to call in to work everyday for a shift. If it is 3am in southhampton you have to drive yourself there. Have fun. 

This is not the best job in the LIRR system. It is a job that at every corner they are looking for reasons to fire you in the first 12 months. 

please i know you see online their saleries, but those are poeple that got in under the easy test. 

Anybody looking to become an AC , disregard any information you read above. Ask a real conductor for real info like myself,CGeorge and others. Ask DreNYC for any Engineer info.  Not hearsay where it will lead you thinking wrong. No they don’t look to fire you since they spent so much time and money on you during training. There’s no easy test. Everyone has to qualify on the same PC and BOR exams.How do you know it’s not the best job when you’re going through the beginning process? Every craft in the LIRR has pros and cons. It’s what you make out of it matters the most.

5 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I wish you the best of luck. I would find it very stressful to go though 5 tests, Then after about 5-7 years of working they terminate your employment for not passing the conductor test. At my current job after 5 years cant get fired. 

If I was in your shoes, I would have a plan B just in case. This job there are just too many varitables that may or may not get you terminated. 

When I went, the LIRR staff was loyal to one another. But to new people coming in they approached everyone as like, they were better than you. 

I will say in closing, LIRR ridership is going down, their On-Time perforamance sucks.  There is actually a lady in wantauge suing them for their lack of on-time performance.

I would say at the end of the open house I went to the washout rate was 80%. Out of 125 ppl, 30 passed. That is really not a good thing. 

Really 125 ppl and at the end of the process the real number is 17 ppl that graduate. 

This would be the right job for me, LIRR Usher at penn station @ 200,000.00 a year is more my speed. 

Good luck with that. Do you know what you have to do to become an usher? The steps. 200k  is seniority driven. I’m sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes years to reach that level.

When I went for my entrance exams there was about 100 - 125 ppl in the room. Then soon after they gave us a 15 min break and then we went back to see who passed and who left. I stayed for a little while as I passed and was waiting for the interviewer. I would say out of 100 - 125 ppl about 40 ppl stayed. That means that 85ppl failed the entrance test. I understand the fail rate is extremely high. I guess I will have to think about if I want to go though with the process. Just trying to judge the risk vs reward at this point.  

13 hours ago, Dreamer said:

What in god's name are you talking about?  1st off, you get out what you put in.  I came here like everyone else.  I was determined to do this.  I stayed positive, studied like crazy and made it through.  I scored 100 on my signals/definitions cause I was that hungry.  Went through class still hungry for the job, high scores throughout.  Off to work trains and I make sure I'm doing what they pay me to do.  It's really quite easy. I'm not in fear of getting fired, and everyone I've met has been ultra helpful.  I wouldn't trade this or doubt it.  Some people just don't have the fire to do it.......you can't half ass this. 

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

When I went for my entrance exams there was about 100 - 125 ppl in the room. Then soon after they gave us a 15 min break and then we went back to see who passed and who left. I stayed for a little while as I passed and was waiting for the interviewer. I would say out of 100 - 125 ppl about 40 ppl stayed. That means that 85ppl failed the entrance test. I understand the fail rate is extremely high. I guess I will have to think about if I want to go though with the process. Just trying to judge the risk vs reward at this point.  

Dreamer, you are definitely a glass half empty type person or better yet......glass is empty!  Hahaha, just move on with your life.  Anyone going thru to overview, do not listen to this person at all!

19 hours ago, Dreamer said:

this guy have no clue what he's talking about. good luck to you bro. you just don't have what it takes to get through probation and give your best to qualify. yes qualifying is hard but like you said they give you 7 tries. if 7 tries is not enough for you then the problem is you. i did it with a lot of responsibilities (family, mortgage etc.) i was with my last employer for 23yrs and it was worth switching careers. i made the sacrifice and with the support of my family and friends we are now enjoying what i worked hard for.

yes it is not for everyone. your life will change but it get better the longer you stay. job is so easy and they are not out there to fire you. all you have to do is show up on time, do what you are supposed to do and then go home. you don't take any BS home.

sorry you felt differently but don't give any negativity to potential AC's if you haven't gone through the whole thing including qualifying.

to the newcomers: please disregard this guys post. there are no easy tests. qualifying is hard but over 1000 guys did it. hours are crazy but it gets better with time. again, nothing is easy in life. hard work pays. this guy just what it easy.

keep dreaming dreamer

At my testing during the presentation it was stated that the belief is during your the classes we are over prepared for the exams. To those that took the classes would you agree with this? Also did you know of anyone who couldn't pass the test within 7 attempts and was fired?

Edited by thegameksk