LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

2 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

At my testing during the presentation it was stated that the belief is during your the classes we are over prepared for the exams. To those that took the classes would you agree with this? Also did you know of anyone who couldn't pass the test within 7 attempts and was fired?

Hey listen, of course they over prepare you.......however, if you're not doing your part it won't ever matter.....you'll still be under prepared. You get out of it what you put in.  Don't even sweat the 7 try Conductor qualifying.  Of course people fail out.......but again, you get out of it what you put in.  You can not come thru into this and not study like crazy.  Everything is doable, what you're asking though is not important. You either want this or you don't.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I am an A/C about to go through the qualifying process. There seems to be some confusion regarding tests, how many chances you get, and when you have to take them.

To get hired, you need:

1. To be invited by the LIRR to an Open House. This is based solely on the information on your application & resume.

2. To pass the entrance exams given at the Open House. These exams are: Vocabulary Test, Cognitive Test, and a Math Test, and none of these can be studied for. You can either answer the questions or you can't. You are being tested on how your brain works, not what you know. You are only given one chance on these exams; if you fail any one of them, you're no longer under consideration for the job.

3. To be invited to a Signals & Definitions Overview (~6 hour class on how to memorize the S&Ds), followed exactly 5 weeks later by the S&D exam. You must study at least 3 hours a day for these 5 weeks. You must get 100% of the signal aspects correct and at least 80% of the signal indications and definitions correct to pass this exam. You get only one chance at this exam, and if you fail, you're no longer under consideration for the job. If you pass, you'll be interviewed and fitted for a uniform.

4. To pass a background check and physical exam. Once that's done, you'll be contacted with an offer letter and a start date for class.

Once you are hired, you start 2.5 months of classroom and field training, which includes more tests:

1. Approximately 5 weeks after class starts, you'll take an Assistant Conductor Book of Rules Exam. While you are taking the written examination, your Timetable and Book of Rules  will be inspected by a Rules Examiner to ensure you're keeping it up to date. If you pass the written exam and "book check", you will attend a group verbal exam with the rest of your classmates. Anyone that fails any portion of the A/C Book of Rules Exam will be immediately terminated from the railroad. The 5 weeks of training you get prior to the exam definitely OVER prepares you for the exam, but you absolutely must study every night after class for at least 3-4 hours in order to pass. It's a grueling 5 weeks, but it's totally doable. Very few people actually fail out of the program, but those that do almost always fail because of this particular exam.

2. The next two portions of class are Air Brake and Tickets, and these take about a month combined. Air Brake requires study time at home in order to pass the test, but not as much as you had to study for Rules. Tickets also requires studying, but not as much as for Air Brake or Rules. I'm not aware of anyone ever failing out of class because of Air Brake or Tickets, but I'm sure it's possible. Again, the training instructors do a very good job with making sure everyone knows exactly what is expected of them with regards to the exams. Put in the time and study what you're told to and you'll be fine.

Once you pass all the exams, complete your On the Job Training and a week of mentoring with a Conductor, you'll graduate and start working the trains. Approximately 9 months later, you'll be off Probation and it's time to start studying for Qualifying!

I'm not going to go into all the details about what the qualifying exams entail, but they are obviously a lot harder than anything you had to do in A/C training. No one knows exactly when they'll be called up to take their Qualifying exams, except it cannot be earlier than 2 years before your hire date, and it can't be later than 5 years after your hire date. The average seems to be about 2.5 years after your hire date, or about 2 years 3 months after you graduated from A/C class. 

You are given 7 chances per exam for qualifying. If you fail any of the qualifying exams 3 times, you still have a job, but you are "out of service", meaning you're not allowed to work. You have to turn in your hole puncher and everything else you've been given. Basically, you're sitting home studying for a month with no income. If you fail any exam 7 times, you're terminated from the railroad. I do know people who have gotten this far, yes. These exams are not easy, but if you put in the effort and study, you will pass. The average conductor studies for 12 months to pass these exams.

1. S&D you get only one chance at this exam, and if you fail, you're no longer under consideration for the job. 

1 st chance to get Terminated 

2. Anyone that fails any portion of the A/C Book of Rules Exam will be immediately terminated from the railroad.

2 nd chance to get Terminated

3.  I'm not aware of anyone ever failing out of class because of Air Brake or Tickets, but I'm sure it's possible.

3rd chance to get Terminated

4. You are given 7 chances per exam for qualifying. If you fail any of the qualifying exams 3 times, you still have a job, but you are "out of service", meaning you're not allowed to work. (Really no income, how do you pay your bills) You have to turn in your hole puncher and everything else you've been given. Basically, you're sitting home studying for a month with no income. If you fail any exam 7 times, you're terminated from the railroad

4th Chance to get terminated

So After 3 years and all that studing you may still get terminated. You may also as stated above a month with no paycheck. In that instance.  Do we all live with are parents that are rich and can pay are bills. Hmm explain that to your car finance company, your landlord, and or mortgage company. 

In closing I do wish all potentinal A/C's going ahead good luck. I respect all current A/C's for what they do everyday. : ) 

The cost of living in NYS is just to darn high to risk the loss of a paycheck for a month. 

6 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

1. S&D you get only one chance at this exam, and if you fail, you're no longer under consideration for the job. 

2. Anyone that fails any portion of the A/C Book of Rules Exam will be immediately terminated from the railroad.

3.  I'm not aware of anyone ever failing out of class because of Air Brake or Tickets, but I'm sure it's possible.

4. You are given 7 chances per exam for qualifying. If you fail any of the qualifying exams 3 times, you still have a job, but you are "out of service", meaning you're not allowed to work. (Really no income, how do you pay your bills) You have to turn in your hole puncher and everything else you've been given. Basically, you're sitting home studying for a month with no income. If you fail any exam 7 times, you're terminated from the railroad

So After 3 years and all that studing you may still get terminated. You may also as stated above a month with no paycheck. In that instance.  Do we all live with are parents that are rich and can pay are bills. Hmm explain that to your car finance company, your landlord, and or mortgage company. 

In closing I do wish all potentinal A/C's going ahead good luck. I respect all current A/C's for what they do everyday. : ) 

The cost of living in NYS is just to darn high to risk the loss of a paycheck for a month. 

If you're concerned about getting terminated, then you're not going to like what I'm about to tell you. The entire 12 months you're on probation is an opportunity to be terminated. If you do anything wrong during probation, you could be terminated for it. They used to extend your probation if you got caught, but now they just fire you. If you do your job as you're taught, and study for your tests, you have nothing to worry about. 

I'm thinking that this job is not for you, Dreamer.

I agree with you 2togo. This job is not for me. I did read 1,000 ppl got through all the test. That would mean 6,000 ppl go to open houses based on 125 ppl 4 times a month and  1,000 make it. Thats only a little over 16%. 

I do think the test is very antiquated. It was sctually the most unoraganized test I have ever taken.

Well I am just going to move on and move out of expensive  NYS and get a job somewhere else after I retire. 

Good Luck in your future ambitions. 

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

Dreamer, get the F outta here.  You sound like a loon bro.  Go post in a different civil service forum.

Good morning everyone. I recently took the March 1st A/C exam, and passed and was invited to the S/D overview on the 16th. Can anyone give any advice of what to expect on that day? I know of current A/C that have said the process is a bit different from when they were hired. I am just trying to prepare for any surprise tests or questions on that day. Thank you and good luck to all.

6 hours ago, Lisa101205 said:

Good morning everyone. I recently took the March 1st A/C exam, and passed and was invited to the S/D overview on the 16th. Can anyone give any advice of what to expect on that day? I know of current A/C that have said the process is a bit different from when they were hired. I am just trying to prepare for any surprise tests or questions on that day. Thank you and good luck to all.

You're going to be given the full packet of signals and definitions that must be memorized 100% word-for-word verbatim. The instructor will go through each signal, and then through each definition. They will reiterate over and over again that these must all be memorized 100% word-for-word verbatim. The instructor will probably say the word "verbatim" in excess of 50 times.

The instructor will also go through an in-depth overview of what being an A/C is actually like, and will answer any questions you might have about the job. The instructors were conductors themselves at one point, so they're knowledgable.

They'll give you a CD with an app you can use to help you study (I don't recommend it, though -- just use flashcards, or Quizlet if you are a fast typer). The CD also has a practice test that you must complete and e-mail back to them within 2 weeks in order to be allowed to take the actual S&D exam. They will tell you the date for the S&D exam (should be exactly 5 weeks later) and then you'll be released for the day.

10 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

You're going to be given the full packet of signals and definitions that must be memorized 100% word-for-word verbatim. The instructor will go through each signal, and then through each definition. They will reiterate over and over again that these must all be memorized 100% word-for-word verbatim. The instructor will probably say the word "verbatim" in excess of 50 times.

The instructor will also go through an in-depth overview of what being an A/C is actually like, and will answer any questions you might have about the job. The instructors were conductors themselves at one point, so they're knowledgable.

They'll give you a CD with an app you can use to help you study (I don't recommend it, though -- just use flashcards, or Quizlet if you are a fast typer). The CD also has a practice test that you must complete and e-mail back to them within 2 weeks in order to be allowed to take the actual S&D exam. They will tell you the date for the S&D exam (should be exactly 5 weeks later) and then you'll be released for the day.

I actually used that quiz on the CD to study both in addition to flash cards and it helped me tremendously. I know how to type, so if you don't it wouldn't help but from repetition it was another way of drilling it in my head.  My fingers knew by memory what they were almost before my brain could say it.  Just saying, it turned out to be helpful tool.  I actually almost forgot to send that quiz over to them and remembered with a day to spare.  That would've sucked.

Edited by IronHorse

My only issue with the CD was that I found some minor errors with some of the definitions; maybe they've corrected them on the newer versions they give out. I used Quizlet the most, I like the "Learn" feature on Quizlet that keeps track of which ones you get right and which ones you need more practice on. At the end of the day, whatever works for you is the best method, as long as you pass!

19 hours ago, Two2Go said:

19 hours ago, IronHorse said:

I actually used that quiz on the CD to study both in addition to flash cards and it helped me tremendously. I know how to type, so if you don't it wouldn't help but from repetition it was another way of drilling it in my head.  My fingers knew by memory what they were almost before my brain could say it.  Just saying, it turned out to be helpful tool.  I actually almost forgot to send that quiz over to them and remembered with a day to spare.  That would've sucked.

Thank you for all your insight into this process. I’m older (39), with a family, house, mortgage, etc..... Despite what Dreamer says, failure of these tests is not an option! All your advice on how to study for the exams is most helpful.

I received a packet with horn, buzzer and hand signals along with my email invite to the s&d overview. I just about have all the info down verbatim, but is there a chance they may test us on that at the overview, or is that just to get us started for the s&d exam? 

2 minutes ago, JHP87 said:

Thank you for all your insight into this process. I’m older (39), with a family, house, mortgage, etc..... Despite what Dreamer says, failure of these tests is not an option! All your advice on how to study for the exams is most helpful.

I received a packet with horn, buzzer and hand signals along with my email invite to the s&d overview. I just about have all the info down verbatim, but is there a chance they may test us on that at the overview, or is that just to get us started for the s&d exam? 

Overview is just a day where they give you the hard copy packet of sigs/defs and go over them one by one to make sure everyone has a complete packet.  They will give you background on what to expect and make sure you are aware that the process is not easy.  That's it.  I was out of there within 3-4 hours. Don't sweat the age thing.  I came in at 38 with family too.  Just go hard, you got everything to gain.  Put down buzzers, horns, whistles.  Just focus the 5 weeks on sigs/defs. Do those after 

21 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

Overview is just a day where they give you the hard copy packet of sigs/defs and go over them one by one to make sure everyone has a complete packet.  They will give you background on what to expect and make sure you are aware that the process is not easy.  That's it.  I was out of there within 3-4 hours. Don't sweat the age thing.  I came in at 38 with family too.  Just go hard, you got everything to gain.  Put down buzzers, horns, whistles.  Just focus the 5 weeks on sigs/defs. Do those after 

Ok perfect. Thank you again for all the help. I realize the whole process isn’t easy,  but I know it’s doable with hard work and dedication. Trust me, I’m going hard at this. 

23 minutes ago, JHP87 said:

Ok perfect. Thank you again for all the help. I realize the whole process isn’t easy,  but I know it’s doable with hard work and dedication. Trust me, I’m going hard at this. 

Yeah. You will do fine as long as you put time and effort. People like Dreamer just wanna earn easy money who never put any effort or work. I'm processing with different position but the process is kind of similar to A/C. I'm done with everything, just waiting for the background and medical email/call.

Edited by Noob

1.  LIRR manager: I was fired for not hiring executive’s daughter By Kathianne Boniello (Hmm Nepotism ) April 3, 2016 | 12:05pm

2.The LIRR hired Graham in 1975 as a car appearance maintainer and six years later promoted him to the position of car repairman.   Graham was not a model employee of the LIRR. He was suspended three times-in 1983 for loafing, failure to follow a direct order, and leaving his job assignment without permission; (Lazy)  the following year for disobeying a supervisor's orders and being off assignment without permission;  and in 1988 for (Really) sleeping while on duty. 

3. It’s not uncommon for the head of one of our railroads to do quality checks to ensure employees are following rules and regulations,” MTA spokeswoman Beth DeFalco said. 

Giulietti would later report what happened to the supervisor for the assistant conductor whose job it was to collect tickets.

4. LIRR Conductor Underreported Fares, Pocketed $700 A Week

by Daniel Hendrick | Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 12:00 am

A Long Island Rail Road conductor who worked on lines operating through Queens was charged last week with stealing $50,000 in passenger fares.

Dennis Perri, 49, of Port Jefferson, Long Island, was arrested last Thursday morning by Metropolitan Transit Authority Police, who handed him over to prosecutors.

Dreamer, you are one of those people who are always negative, complaining all the time, hating and being jealous on other people for little things. Please don't apply for any jobs in NYS and move out to Cali or something, somewhere far away from NYS

12 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

1.  LIRR manager: I was fired for not hiring executive’s daughter By Kathianne Boniello (Hmm Nepotism ) April 3, 2016 | 12:05pm

2.The LIRR hired Graham in 1975 as a car appearance maintainer and six years later promoted him to the position of car repairman.   Graham was not a model employee of the LIRR. He was suspended three times-in 1983 for loafing, failure to follow a direct order, and leaving his job assignment without permission; (Lazy)  the following year for disobeying a supervisor's orders and being off assignment without permission;  and in 1988 for (Really) sleeping while on duty. 

3. It’s not uncommon for the head of one of our railroads to do quality checks to ensure employees are following rules and regulations,” MTA spokeswoman Beth DeFalco said. 

Giulietti would later report what happened to the supervisor for the assistant conductor whose job it was to collect tickets.

A Long Island Rail Road conductor who worked on lines operating through Queens was charged last week with stealing $50,000 in passenger fares.

Dennis Perri, 49, of Port Jefferson, Long Island, was arrested last Thursday morning by Metropolitan Transit Authority Police, who handed him over to prosecutors.

And your point is.........go get that dream job you want dreamer and beat it!  You couldn't hack it over here!

1 minute ago, Noob said:

Dreamer, you are one of those people who are always negative, complaining all the time, hating and being jealous on other people for little things. Please don't apply for any jobs in NYS and move out to Cali or something, somewhere far away from NYS

Hahaha, yeah Cali sounds like a great place for him to go.  I wouldn't be surprised if this person is one of those people that hate the railroad and is just trying to be annoying on purpose.  

1 minute ago, IronHorse said:

Hahaha, yeah Cali sounds like a great place for him to go.  I wouldn't be surprised if this person is one of those people that hate the railroad and is just trying to be annoying on purpose.  

Honestly, I think he failed the entrance exam and just raging on this forum.

For those that want info about the process, see my post about it towards the beginning of the thread.  

Couple of points:

1) The material you have to learn is not difficult.  It is verbatim memorization and applying the rules that you have to memorize, not rocket science.  I know because I've studied rocket science, and guess what?   ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

2) This is the internet, shouldn't have to explain further.  Please get your info from a reliable source.  

3) There are no more "7 shots".  From what I understand, our contract has been modified with the carrier such that all the new classes in 18'  will be pulled off the trains and brought back to hillside for a certain period of time to qualify.  This time, you have only 3 shots.  3 strikes, you're out.  

4)  For those that are still trying to pass the S&D and get hired, don't worry about qualifying, or the crazy hours, or the "salary".   Just take it one step at a time.  

2 hours ago, Noob said:

Honestly, I think he failed the entrance exam and just raging on this forum.

I totally agree. Im pretty sure dreamer failed the entrance exam. He/she never mentioned the math portion of the exam which makes me think they never got that far. Completely bitter about it!!!! I thought everyone was nice at the open house. Nobody from the railroad acted like they were better than me and the people sitting at my table were plesent to talk to. 

3 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Dreamer just move on. You’re in a forum bad mouthing a job that we all want or have. If you hate the LIRR so much just don’t work for them. Are you the person suing the railroad for trains being late? 

I know this is an LIRR forum with questions about conductor positions for LIRR, but does anyone have any info on the conductor trainee exam for MNRR?  I’m scheduled to take the exam on 4/26  

Is the format similar with memorization of signals and definitions? Thus far I’ve been treating like i have to memorize everything verbatim, only there’s no overview and they only give 3 weeks for you to study everything before the test. Any insight is appreciated.