LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

For the top does a t shirt work or we need a polo?

Just think of it like this..............every step of the way you're being watched.  The name of the game is to impress.  You either wanna present yourself like a professional or a slob.  You choose!

Good morning anyone, quick question..... I am studying for the S&D exam and was just wondering when it comes to the speed limit signs will the numbers that are displayed on the signs in the study material be the same on the exam? or will they be different? I am trying to make sure I am not screwing myself if I associate the number displayed with the name. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lisa101205 said:

Good morning anyone, quick question..... I am studying for the S&D exam and was just wondering when it comes to the speed limit signs will the numbers that are displayed on the signs in the study material be the same on the exam? or will they be different? I am trying to make sure I am not screwing myself if I associate the number displayed with the name. Thanks!

They are the same, but don't memorize it that way. They could always change it if they wanted to. The phrase "diamonds are forever" might help you with memorizing these...

On 5/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, Two2Go said:

They are the same, but don't memorize it that way. They could always change it if they wanted to. The phrase "diamonds are forever" might help you with memorizing these...

Can you explain this? Also does anyone have any other advice for the signs? I'm writing out the vocab which is working great but I can't do that for the signs. 

2 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Can you explain this? Also does anyone have any other advice for the signs? I'm writing out the vocab which is working great but I can't do that for the signs. 

What do you mean "the signs"?  Signal sign posts?

3 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Permanent Speed Restriction Sign is a diamond shape, not a square. Permanent = forever, hence "diamonds are forever". Permanent Speed Restriction Sign is also the only one of the speed signs that actually has an Indication, so it's probably the only one you would see on a S&D test.

The only advice I can really give is to put everything on flashcards and have someone you trust quiz you over and over again. Go through the entire pile until you can get every single one correct every single time. You can't miss a signal name, so make you get those down 100% before you spend a lot of effort learning the indications and definitions. 

Edited by Two2Go

2 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Permanent Speed Restriction Sign is a diamond shape, not a square. Permanent = forever, hence "diamonds are forever". Permanent Speed Restriction Sign is also the only one of the speed signs that actually has an Indication, so it's probably the only one you would see on a S&D test.

The only advice I can really give is to put everything on flashcards and have someone you trust quiz you over and over again. Go through the entire pile until you can get every single one correct every single time. You can't miss a signal name, so make you get those down 100% before you spend a lot of effort learning the indications and definitions. 

How did you find tricks like this? That must really help alot.

10 hours ago, thegameksk said:

How did you find tricks like this? That must really help alot.

Working here, you hear lots of methods people use, and you pick and choose what works for you. Some people have tricks that make no sense to me, others have stuff that I like and I use. Whatever works for you...just pass the test!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Two2Go said:

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Two2Go said:

That is what I am doing, thinking of little ways and gimmicks to memorize them. I actually tested myself last night and I knew all of them. I was shocked! It definitely is hard, I work full time, have kids, blah blah, but I have been studying every day and it has paid off!

1 hour ago, Lisa101205 said:

That is what I am doing, thinking of little ways and gimmicks to memorize them. I actually tested myself last night and I knew all of them. I was shocked! It definitely is hard, I work full time, have kids, blah blah, but I have been studying every day and it has paid off!

Same here, I’ve used several odd tricks and associations to make make the signals and definitions stick in my brain. I can run through everything with no mistakes almost every time. When I do make a mistake, it’s do to  a mental error because I know  the material by now, it usually just means I’m rushing through it too fast. Just have to take my time and make sure that doesn’t  happen on the exam. I want to take the test already so I can stop stressing over it and get back to a normal life (that is God willing, until class begins). 

Edited by JHP87

47 minutes ago, Lisa101205 said:

When is your test? I cant think of any gimmicks or tricks.

15 minutes ago, ACdreamer said:

how is the set up of the exam? literally it says for example BLOCK  and you write the definition next to it? the s&d overview was useless

Wait, how was the S&D overview useless?? 

If they give a definition like Block, you provide the answer...   the whole definition short or long.  Signals they give you the picture, then you write indication.  Why would you expect anything other than what you are studying on your flash cards.  There is no guess work here.

5 hours ago, ACdreamer said:

how is the set up of the exam? literally it says for example BLOCK  and you write the definition next to it? the s&d overview was useless

Yes, that's the format. 25 definitions, and 25 signals. So, something like:

BLOCK ____________________________

(picture of signal) NAME: ____________________________ INDICATION: ____________________________

You must get all of the signal names right. You must get at least 80% of the signal indications and the definitions right. 

Hi All, 

To anybody that can provide some kind of insight, it would be much appreciated. I took the S&D exam on April 17, and passed the exam with 7 other candidates, out of 20. I have been waiting to hear some feedback, but still nothing. At this point it has been well over a month,  and still no feedback, I have no idea what I should at this point. Can anybody give me some advice? Please, and Thanks.

2 minutes ago, PotentialAcCandidate said:

Hi All, 

To anybody that can provide some kind of insight, it would be much appreciated. I took the S&D exam on April 17, and passed the exam with 7 other candidates, out of 20. I have been waiting to hear some feedback, but still nothing. At this point it has been well over a month,  and still no feedback, I have no idea what I should at this point. Can anybody give me some advice? Please, and Thanks.

Just keep doing what you're doing......waiting.  linda oliver has to put the class together, send medical/background check.  Shit takes time.  Sometimes they're in no rush.  You'll get an email eventually. You can email Linda if you like but she's a busy woman.

31 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

Just keep doing what you're doing......waiting.  linda oliver has to put the class together, send medical/background check.  Shit takes time.  Sometimes they're in no rush.  You'll get an email eventually. You can email Linda if you like but she's a busy woman.

@Ironhorse Thanks a lot for that insight, thats much appreciated. Ive thought about sending an email numerous times, but I don't want that to hurt my chances smh. Are you a conductor?