LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/29/2018 at 7:20 AM, fd87 said:

What’s up bull. Studying is going great signals and indications down 💯 and half of the Definitions. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol. How’s it going for you?

Hey fd, just wanted to check in with you.. how are u making out? i cant tell u how nervous i am man.. knowing our test is just days away is so nerve wracking. I think whats making me the most nervous is the fact that if you get just one signal name wrong, thats it your out! even if the rest of your test is absolutely perfect. Like writing medium approach instead of approach medium. i absolutely have studied my butt off over the last 5 weeks as im sure u have as well. im guessing your done with everything now and are just reviewing. Have u used the cd they gave us at all?  i have and i have mixed feelings about it. Some of the stuff on the cd differs from the packet they gave us. Let me know how everything is going bro.

25 minutes ago, Mlad18 said:

Don’t even bother with the cd flash cards is the way to go 

Thanks for the advice Mlad...  I have strictly used my flash cards the last 4.5 weeks(since the night of the overview up until right now) . Over  the last 2 days,  in addition to using my flash cards,  i just wanted to try something new so i tried out the cd, but i have learned everything from my flash cards and will continue using them right up until they tell us to put everything away on test day this upcoming monday.

Edited by Suffolkbull3

26 minutes ago, Mlad18 said:

Don’t even bother with the cd flash cards is the way to go 

Now hold on a damn minute!  I used flash cards throughout, thats a given, however...in addition if you can type, the cd quiz has all signals and definitions there and i would run through each one once a day after doing flash cards and i felt it was a big help.  Not knowing how to type would make it useless though. 

23 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

Now hold on a damn minute!  I used flash cards throughout, thats a given, however...in addition if you can type, the cd quiz has all signals and definitions there and i would run through each one once a day after doing flash cards and i felt it was a big help.  Not knowing how to type would make it useless though. 

hey ironhorse, thats exactly what i have been doing the last two days. flash cards plus cd. the cd will point out a tiny mistake u made that maybe u wouldnt even catch using flash cards. so i too have found it somewhat useful, but the cd is also a tiny bit outdated, a couple defs are missing a word here and there and for that, its a little irritating.

When my husband was studying 28 years ago he made his own flash cards and I would test him every single night.   He still has those flash cards in a little plastic box and uses them every time he has to certification.  By the time he started the job, I knew most of the signals, lines etc lol

Good Luck Guys!!!

On 6/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, Suffolkbull3 said:

I can tell you what they told us at the June11th S&D Overview... They told us that a class would be starting on Aug 22nd and another class starting on Sept 26th. Hope that helps? 

I would think that they would start a class on a Monday instead of a Wednesday? 

Does every new class start on a Wednesday?? If so does anyone know why they start a class in the middle of the week?

I think they start on a Wednesday because that is the end of the pay week.  Thursday is payday... at least that is my thought. 

Good Day Everyone, 

I am new to this forum but I have been reading numerous post for weeks now. Can anyone possibly give some insight on what classes are like. It's surprising how fast the material from the flash cards can be forgotten when your waiting for feedback. Is it necessary that I know all the flash cards before class starts? will we be tested on signals and definitions when class starts? Can somebody please enlighten me? Thanks in advance guys. 

2 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

Good Day Everyone, 

I am new to this forum but I have been reading numerous post for weeks now. Can anyone possibly give some insight on what classes are like. It's surprising how fast the material from the flash cards can be forgotten when your waiting for feedback. Is it necessary that I know all the flash cards before class starts? will we be tested on signals and definitions when class starts? Can somebody please enlighten me? Thanks in advance guys. 

Yes, you absolutely need to have your signals and definitions, as well as your buzzers, train horns, interlocking whistles and hand signs memorized perfectly. They're going to throw a lot more information at you once class starts, and they will not be happy if you can't even get something as simple as signals and definitions right. Get them down perfectly now, you're going to be happy you did in a couple years when it comes time to qualify. 

The first two days of class are just a generic new employee orientation. There might even be new hires from different departments in the room with you. On the third day (Friday), the actual class will start. You'll be given stuff to memorize verbatim over the weekend. On that Monday, you'll be quizzed on everything you've been given so far. It's not a test that can cause you to lose or job or anything like that, but it's a quiz for the instructor to see where you're at. The instructor will go totally nuts if people do badly on that quiz (and all the other quizzes that he or she will give out as class goes on). Remember, you only have about 5 weeks of class for the book of rules...it's a lot of information for such a short timeframe.

4 hours ago, fd87 said:

Bull how did u do???

Heyyyyyy FD, I did awesome man!! I got 100%!!!! i was sooo thinking of standing up and asking out loud which one is FD87 hhahahahaha... ok so enough about me, how did u make out man? im sure u passed as well??!?!! 

Just now, Suffolkbull3 said:

Heyyyyyy FD, I did awesome man!! I got 100%!!!! i was sooo thinking of standing up and asking out loud which one is FD87 hhahahahaha... ok so enough about me, how did u make out man? im sure u passed as well??!?!! 

ps. i was the one all the way up in the front right next to the door we walk in and out of. Black suit. not sure if u realize who i am? where did u sit  for the test?

I just wanted to say that although i passed the S&D exam with a 100%, something happened today that really put a really bad taste in my mouth. I really wish i can share it with everyone, but it would be totally out of line to post it on a public form. It really has me enraged!

1 hour ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

ps. i was the one all the way up in the front right next to the door we walk in and out of. Black suit. not sure if u realize who i am? where did u sit  for the test?

Congratulations!! I got a 100 also!! I think I know who you are? Are you Asian? I was sitting in the back. Big Italian kid curly hair lol.   what?? What happened PM me..

Edited by fd87

2 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

I just wanted to say that although i passed the S&D exam with a 100%, something happened today that really put a really bad taste in my mouth. I really wish i can share it with everyone, but it would be totally out of line to post it on a public form. It really has me enraged!

Share it.. It couldn’t hurt. Most of us seen and heard it all.

1 hour ago, fd87 said:

Congratulations!! I got a 100 also!! I think I know who you are? Are you Asian? I was sitting in the back. Big Italian kid curly hair lol.   what?? What happened PM me..

No i was sitting at the same table as the cool asian kid his name is leo.. 

Hey I just took the S & D test, I also know I was short 2 questions, would I be able to retake this test or am I officially out and won't be able to reply for this position again next year or so? Congratulation to whoever passed by the way!!

40 minutes ago, Noob said:

@Wakada if you failed S & D exam, then you are out of the hiring process. I'm pretty sure you can try again IF they pick you after you apply again on the website.

And they're always posting once every year or so correct?

5 hours ago, Wakada said:

Hey I just took the S & D test, I also know I was short 2 questions, would I be able to retake this test or am I officially out and won't be able to reply for this position again next year or so? Congratulation to whoever passed by the way!!

Hi wakada, can i ask u what u mean by short 2 questions? Does that mean you got a 76 on the test? Do u know if all ur signal names were correct? Im sorry to hear u missed by 2 questions. Just keep up the determination, reapply and kill it the next time around!!! 

I believe if u fail the test, you have to wait 1 year, then reapply and if they again select u, then u have to repeat the entire process all over again.. Open house, overview, then sd test again.

If im wrong can someone please correct me?

25 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Hi wakada, can i ask u what u mean by short 2 questions? Does that mean you got a 76 on the test? Do u know if all ur signal names were correct? Im sorry to hear u missed by 2 questions. Just keep up the determination, reapply and kill it the next time around!!! 

I believe if u fail the test, you have to wait 1 year, then reapply and if they again select u, then u have to repeat the entire process all over again.. Open house, overview, then sd test again.

If im wrong can someone please correct me?

I think that's for failing the initial exam (cognitive exam) at the orientation but im not sure about S & D exam.