LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

29 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

It sounds like they changed the process since most of us hired on (even from just 2.5 years ago for me). For my group, we did the background check before receiving the invitation to the S&D overview. The hiring process went relatively quickly after passing the S&D test. I was an employee less than a month after the test, and medical was only about 2 weeks before my start date. I got my offer only 11 days before class started. But again, things sound very different now, so my answer is probably useless to you.

Yea same for me took about 2 or 3 weeks but now it seems like they have people waiting 6 months after s&d  that's crazy smh 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/13/2018 at 9:35 PM, Ajay223 said:

Hey, I passed the S&D test in July and still haven’t heard anything yet. Just wondering if any one that passed in July received any news about a sept class?

Hang in there, it’s a brutal wait. I passed the S&D exam in May with Mlad and still haven’t heard anything either. There’s been no communication about the background check, class or anything else since passing the exam. Try to keep the S&D’s somewhat fresh in your head and just go about your life as if your not waiting for anything (I know it’s easier said then done). 

1 hour ago, JHP87 said:

Hang in there, it’s a brutal wait. I passed the S&D exam in May with Mlad and still haven’t heard anything either. There’s been no communication about the background check, class or anything else since passing the exam. Try to keep the S&D’s somewhat fresh in your head and just go about your life as if your not waiting for anything (I know it’s easier said then done). 

I'm glad im not the only one who is in similar situation. I'm actually processing for different LIRR position and still waiting for background/medical email for almost 5 months.

Edited by Noob

6 hours ago, Member2016 said:

Yea same for me took about 2 or 3 weeks but now it seems like they have people waiting 6 months after s&d  that's crazy smh 

So I spoke to a friend who knows someone in class right now. She started Oct 2017, her training class started June 2018 and she graduates next month Sept 2018... so it’s almost a year.

I don’t take the first part until Aug 21, so I would assume that class would be next year. I got a long way to go if I do make it. Just being patient. 

6 hours ago, JHP87 said:

Thank you for the info.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:02 PM, Two2Go said:

It sounds like they changed the process since most of us hired on (even from just 2.5 years ago for me). For my group, we did the background check before receiving the invitation to the S&D overview. The hiring process went relatively quickly after passing the S&D test. I was an employee less than a month after the test, and medical was only about 2 weeks before my start date. I got my offer only 11 days before class started. But again, things sound very different now, so my answer is probably useless to you.

No it isn’t.... but thank you!!!

14 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

Whats going on everybody?

Question! Does anybody know if Kat is a good instructor? I wonder what her teaching style is like. Has anybody ever had her in the past? 

General Kat.  I'm glad she is doing your class.  You will be the best new a/c's out there....if you make it of course.  

1 hour ago, Jsunflyguy said:

In the test today we were told it wpuld be a 3 month cycle starting in September.

You took the S&D test today?  Or are u talkn about a diff test? How many people passed? Congrats!! What did they mean by 3 month cycle starting in Sept? Does that mean they are having the Sept class that was up in the air? Whatever info u can share would be very appreciated not just by me but by all of the others who passed and have been waiting to hear anything. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Suffolkbull3

3 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

You took the S&D test today?  Or are u talkn about a diff test? How many people passed? Congrats!! What did they mean by 3 month cycle starting in Sept? Does that mean they are having the Sept class that was up in the air? Whatever info u can share would be very appreciated not just by me but by all of the others who passed and have been waiting to hear anything. Thank you in advance.

I took the S&D test today, so they won't be graded tomorrow I'd say 6/14 passed based on looks around the room and how many people were still doing the Signals portion 2hrs into the test. My fear is mixing up "and/or"s, I felt comfortable with the material though.  . The instructor introduced us to a recently hired instructor who is starting a phase I in "a few weeks". They didn't state anything more specific than that, but it was meant to be interpreted as September. Since he said there will be classes in December, Feb, etc, etc. Best of luck on your journey. 

Have you done the interview?

11 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

I took the S&D test today, so they won't be graded tomorrow I'd say 6/14 passed based on looks around the room and how many people were still doing the Signals portion 2hrs into the test. My fear is mixing up "and/or"s, I felt comfortable with the material though.  . The instructor introduced us to a recently hired instructor who is starting a phase I in "a few weeks". They didn't state anything more specific than that, but it was meant to be interpreted as September. Since he said there will be classes in December, Feb, etc, etc. Best of luck on your journey. 

Have you done the interview?

im really confused as to what your saying.. you took the sd test yesterday and they didnt tell you if u passed or not after u took the test?  To my knowledge, everyone who took the sd test was told that day if they passed or not and if u passed they conducted interviews the same day as the test. 

Is it a different process now? im soo confused.

14 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

im really confused as to what your saying.. you took the sd test yesterday and they didnt tell you if u passed or not after u took the test?  To my knowledge, everyone who took the sd test was told that day if they passed or not and if u passed they conducted interviews the same day as the test. 

Yesterday was the S&D exam for loco engineer.  I think that's what JsunFlyguy is referring to, and no, they didn't tell us the results.

40 minutes ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Yeah, all of that information pertains just to engineers, not conductors. Conductors do not have class broken into "phase I" and "phase II" and conductors always receive their S&D grade (or at least knowledge of passing/failing) on the same day. The instructors are also not the same people, so most likely whoever he met was not a new instructor for conductors.

3 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Yeah, all of that information pertains just to engineers, not conductors. Conductors do not have class broken into "phase I" and "phase II" and conductors always receive their S&D grade (or at least knowledge of passing/failing) on the same day. The instructors are also not the same people, so most likely whoever he met was not a new instructor for conductors.

i knew it sounded off. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, Suffolkbull3 said:

Has anyone heard anything at all about any upcoming new classes?  Does anyone know if the LIRR got the funding for the Sept class?

Went to the open house today. According to them the next class probably won’t be until 2019. We were told the S&D overview is Sept 10. Then 5 weeks from then the test would be Oct 15. They weren’t sure of when the next class was. 

15 hours ago, sho3308 said:

Went to the open house today. According to them the next class probably won’t be until 2019. We were told the S&D overview is Sept 10. Then 5 weeks from then the test would be Oct 15. They weren’t sure of when the next class was. 

Thank u for the info. My cousins friend was supposed to ask about classes yesterday at the open house, but he overslept and missed the open house smh. 

2 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Thank u for the info. My cousins friend was supposed to ask about classes yesterday at the open house, but he overslept and missed the open house smh. 

i'm pretty sure the first thing they look for a candidate is being punctual

Edited by CGeorge

57 minutes ago, CGeorge said:

i'm pretty sure the first thing they look for a candidate is being punctual

I had this convo with my cousin yesterday..  If a candidate gets selected to attend the open house and doesnt go, do you think that person will ever get another oppertunity at any other position with the lirr? I said no but my cousin thinks they would.  My cousin is an a/c he graduated class back in march. He knows more than i do.

What do u think?

2 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

I had this convo with my cousin yesterday..  If a candidate gets selected to attend the open house and doesnt go, do you think that person will ever get another oppertunity at any other position with the lirr? I said no but my cousin thinks they would.  My cousin is an a/c he graduated class back in march. He knows more than i do.

What do u think?

i think if you don't show up they make a notation on your file or even just toss that file...