LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

3 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

I had this convo with my cousin yesterday..  If a candidate gets selected to attend the open house and doesnt go, do you think that person will ever get another oppertunity at any other position with the lirr? I said no but my cousin thinks they would.  My cousin is an a/c he graduated class back in march. He knows more than i do.

What do u think?

I did this.  I applied in winter of 2015 and they called me for open house that December.  I was making too much $ and didn't go to open house.  I applied again in winter of 2017 and entered class that summer.  You just need to reapply. But how do you oversleep to something so important. Lol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IronHorse said:

I did this.  I applied in winter of 2015 and they called me for open house that December.  I was making too much $ and didn't go to open house.  I applied again in winter of 2017 and entered class that summer.  You just need to reapply. But how do you oversleep to something so important. Lol

Exactly, it’s just a matter if they select your resume and file again when you apply next time.

maybe you get lucky and called again maybe not. You certainly don’t get black balled.

1 hour ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

10 people total for one class? i thought they take 24 for a class? 

The newest class (8/22/2018) has 23 people in it. The roster hadn't completely updated when CGeorge looked at it. However, they can't always get exactly 24 into a class. Maybe the 24th person had something come up at their medical check, or maybe decided last minute they didn't want the job. Some classes wind up being as small as 10 or 15 people because they can't get enough people to pass all the tests in time to make that class. That doesn't seem to be the case any more though, since people who have passed S&Ds are now waiting forever to hear back.

Edited by Two2Go

1 hour ago, Two2Go said:

The newest class (8/22/2018) has 23 people in it. The roster hadn't completely updated when CGeorge looked at it. However, they can't always get exactly 24 into a class. Maybe the 24th person had something come up at their medical check, or maybe decided last minute they didn't want the job. Some classes wind up being as small as 10 or 15 people because they can't get enough people to pass all the tests in time to make that class. That doesn't seem to be the case any more though, since people who have passed S&Ds are now waiting forever to hear back.

thanks 22go. i feel better now knowing there are 23 ppl in the latest class.

Good morning. So I just got my email to LIRR OPEN HOUSE. SO, UMM the only caveat is I dont have my license as yet my road test is the 18th and open house is 21st. I want to scream.............Im shaking, oh God.

Yesterday I saw about six pregnant woman all in one vicinity plus my right eye was jumping. (yes it means good things are coming your way)

I dont know what this means. I feel like the universe/God is being a messy bitch who lives for drama. :(😕

2 hours ago, Misslowe said:

Good morning. So I just got my email to LIRR OPEN HOUSE. SO, UMM the only caveat is I dont have my license as yet my road test is the 18th and open house is 21st. I want to scream.............Im shaking, oh God.

Yesterday I saw about six pregnant woman all in one vicinity plus my right eye was jumping. (yes it means good things are coming your way)

I dont know what this means. I feel like the universe/God is being a messy bitch who lives for drama. :(😕

wow, same here. just received the email today at 11:35am for the open house in Babylon.

i am actually in the waiting line for Train Operator exam 7604, i took the A/C a while back and kind of forgot about it until i saw the email today. Can someone explain what a day is like working as an A/C? pro's and cons? 

I'm on the fence if i should take the A/C since i have a good list # possibly called by early next year/mid for T/O. would anyone know if it would be a problem resigning as a probie A/C to switch to T/O?

Thanks.

Edited by MTAHopeful813

14 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

wow, same here. just received the email today at 11:35am for the open house in Babylon.

i am actually in the waiting line for Train Operator exam 7604, i took the A/C a while back and kind of forgot about it until i saw the email today. Can someone explain what a day is like working as an A/C? pro's and cons? 

I'm on the fence if i should take the A/C since i have a good list # possibly called by early next year/mid for T/O. would anyone know if it would be a problem resigning as a probie A/C to switch to T/O?

Thanks.

Take the A/C position.

you will have absolutely no trouble resigning and taking the T/O position if you are called next year.

dont take chance of you rejecting A/C , and finding out for some reason you don’t qualify for T/O In one year brother.

my brother in law was a Probe Trackworker and resigned for the T/O position just last year.

be safe, keep your nose clean and stay hireable for the next exam. 

29 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Thanks.

If train operator is NYC Transit, I would take LIRR over it any day of the week.  You'd be a fool not to.

8 hours ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Thanks.

It's hard to give you a typical day as an A/C, there's a lot of variety. When you're new, you'll either be working as a brakeman (part of a crew) or a ticket collector. Brakeman stays with his crew (Conductor and Engineer) all day long, usually working 2 or 3 roundtrips. Ticket collectors bounce around from train to train, assisting the crews with ticket collection. Some jobs are short, some are flat (8 hours), some are long ($$$, max 12 hours a day). Some days you'll be gating (collecting tickets on the platform rather than on the train), like at Mets Willets Point during a game or concert. 

You should absolutely take the A/C job. As someone else said, anything LIRR is going to be superior to anything Transit. I don't know of anyone that has decided to leave LIRR for a Transit job, only the other way around. We get a pension, plus federal Railroad Retirement, plus great pay. Remember, LIRR doesn't fall under the Taylor Law, meaning we can strike and it's legal, unlike Transit. We are able to negotiate very good contracts thanks to that.

11 hours ago, Misslowe said:

My memory from the open house is that you do need to show ID when you arrive, but that was just to get the temporary pass for Hillside, and I'm guessing your open house is at Babylon, so that doesn't apply. I don't recall having to show them my driver's license until I was actually being offered the job a few months later -- I remember having to scan it in and e-mail it to Linda Oliver. I'm sure if they ask for an ID at the open house, your Learner's Permit will be fine. Good luck.

12 hours ago, Two2Go said:

My memory from the open house is that you do need to show ID when you arrive, but that was just to get the temporary pass for Hillside, and I'm guessing your open house is at Babylon, so that doesn't apply. I don't recall having to show them my driver's license until I was actually being offered the job a few months later -- I remember having to scan it in and e-mail it to Linda Oliver. I'm sure if they ask for an ID at the open house, your Learner's Permit will be fine. Good luck.

Yeah this in Babylon. Ok, I feel a little better. :)

5 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

Took my S/D test in July 16th, passed, got measured and fitted for the uniform and all and still not  peep from anyone reagarding the next steps, not even an email from sterling regarding the background process, should I be worried ???

No I passed I’m may and we are still waiting it will be a awhile 

6 hours ago, Misslowe said:

Yeah this in Babylon. Ok, I feel a little better. :)

If anything try emailing Michelle if she was your HR rep. On my email they clearly stated ( in bold, red in color, underlined and everything) that we will be asked to leave immediately and won’t be able to take the test if we do not have a copy of our drivers license front & back.

thanks everyone for the input 👍🏻, submitted my RSVP to my HR rep for the open house.

Edited by MTAHopeful813

24 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

If anything try emailing Michelle if she was your HR rep. On my email they clearly stated ( in bold, red in color, underlined and everything) that we will be asked to leave immediately and won’t be able to take the test if we do not have a copy of our drivers license front & back.

thanks everyone for the input 👍🏻, submitted my RSVP to my HR rep for the open house.

Yes that's true, I received my invitation last Friday and it stated this:

"BRING THE ENTIRE APPLICATION WITH YOU (DO NOT TAKE ANY PAGES OUT). MAKE SURE ALL OF THE APPLICATION PAGES ARE IN NUMBER ORDER.

FILL OUT ALL THE PAGES COMPLETELY AND REVIEW IT FOR COMPLETENESS, IF SOMETHING DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU WRITE N/A. 

YOU MUST BRING A FRONT AND BACK COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE WITH YOUR APPLICATION. 

IF YOU DO NOT, YOU WILL BE SENT HOME IMMEDIATELY AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE THE TEST.

MAKE SURE YOUR APPLICATION MATCHES THE RESUME THAT YOU SENT IN, IF NOT BRING A NEW ONE WITH YOU.  (YOUR RESUME AND APPLICATION MUST MATCH EXACTLY)."

Good luck everyone

On 8/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, MTAHopeful813 said:

Thanks.

Hey, it beats working for a living.  

38 minutes ago, Joeybats said:

Has anyone that attended and passed all tests from the August 21 open house received any additional info since that day? 

that's funny I was just about to ask this question.  I attended open house on 21st and passed everything and still didn't hear back, they said S&D overview would be September 10 so we should hear something soon

On 8/21/2018 at 5:03 PM, sho3308 said:

Went to the open house today. According to them the next class probably won’t be until 2019. We were told the S&D overview is Sept 10. Then 5 weeks from then the test would be Oct 15. They weren’t sure of when the next class was. 

hey Sho you hear anything yet? 

just to ease your minds,  my class did not recieve overview invite until 3-4 days before the overview. We recieved the invite on a thursday and the overview was the following monday. After passing the aptitude test and being interviewed at the open house, i was told to look out for an invite to overview within the next week and that invite didnt come until 4-5 weeks later.  So everyone who made it to the interview at the open house, plan on being at the overview, the invite will come!!