LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

If you get invited to the open house.Congrats! DO NOT BE LATE! Make sure what ever you put on your resume adds up and you can back it up if they ever question it.

Do your best to pass the cognitive test. its not a matter if you finish the test or not. more like how many correct answers you get in the time given and how you follow charts.

If you pass the test and get to the interview. think safety first and customer service in most situations.

wait, wait, wait, wait... it sucks but at least they didn't say you're out.

If you get invited for the S&D overview... DO NOT BE LATE and dress to impress. listen to the instructors, take notes. ask questions if you have to (i usually say there are no stupid questions. then i started working trains. LOL. then customer service experience kicks in)

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY... its doable as long as you put in the time and really depends on how you want the job.

If you are currently employed do not resigned. study on you own time or take a leave if you have to. i was working, going to school and studying for S&D when i did it not to mention still accomplishing my responsibilities to my wife and kid.

If you pass the S&D and get to the panel interview... again think safety first and customer service.

wait, wait, wait, wait... hey at least you're still in it.

Good Luck to all... it will be all worth it in the end.

disclaimer: this is how the process was when i started a little over 5 years now.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CGeorge said:

If you get invited to the open house.Congrats! DO NOT BE LATE! Make sure what ever you put on your resume adds up and you can back it up if they ever question it.

Do your best to pass the cognitive test. its not a matter if you finish the test or not. more like how many correct answers you get in the time given and how you follow charts.

If you pass the test and get to the interview. think safety first and customer service in most situations.

wait, wait, wait, wait... it sucks but at least they didn't say you're out.

If you get invited for the S&D overview... DO NOT BE LATE and dress to impress. listen to the instructors, take notes. ask questions if you have to (i usually say there are no stupid questions. then i started working trains. LOL. then customer service experience kicks in)

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY... its doable as long as you put in the time and really depends on how you want the job.

If you are currently employed do not resigned. study on you own time or take a leave if you have to. i was working, going to school and studying for S&D when i did it not to mention still accomplishing my responsibilities to my wife and kid.

If you pass the S&D and get to the panel interview... again think safety first and customer service.

wait, wait, wait, wait... hey at least you're still in it.

Good Luck to all... it will be all worth it in the end.

disclaimer: this is how the process was when i started a little over 5 years now.

Thank you for the info!! So I got invited to the S & D.. have they already checked our background, credit etc??? Or they do that after you pass S & D.. 

I’m definitely not quitting my job yet. Will have to make time to study

1 hour ago, sho3308 said:

Thank you for the info!! So I got invited to the S & D.. have they already checked our background, credit etc??? Or they do that after you pass S & D.. 

I’m definitely not quitting my job yet. Will have to make time to study

not 100% sure but i think they start checking after you pass s&d. in my old job it cost at least $400 per person to do background check. 

8 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

Question for any AC’s who have been through the whole process:

How long after passing the s&d did it take for sterling to contact you regarding your background check?? Has been 2 months since I passed the test still nothing...

I was at the S&D overview yesterday, and they said that they don't have any dates when classes will start yet for 2019.  and when I was at open house a few weeks ago I think they mentioned they don't do background checks or drug test until they have class dates 

6 hours ago, snoopys16 said:

I was at the S&D overview yesterday, and they said that they don't have any dates when classes will start yet for 2019.  and when I was at open house a few weeks ago I think they mentioned they don't do background checks or drug test until they have class dates 

@snoopys16 I hope that's true and not forget about the people who took the exams earlier than other people.

Edited by Noob

Hello 

I have been invited to the open house for the initial tests for the assistant conductor trainee

my concerns are about the math section 

i havent studied anything in math for a long time, and I’m afraid that I will not pass, 

could u please tell how’s it like? and what type of questions? Is it deep and difficult math or just common sense counting questions? 

If you could elaborate, and tell us about the cognitive and vocabulary tests as well , thank u very much 

6 hours ago, Yah said:

Hello 

I have been invited to the open house for the initial tests for the assistant conductor trainee

my concerns are about the math section 

i havent studied anything in math for a long time, and I’m afraid that I will not pass, 

could u please tell how’s it like? and what type of questions? Is it deep and difficult math or just common sense counting questions? 

If you could elaborate, and tell us about the cognitive and vocabulary tests as well , thank u very much 

Lmao.  If you can figure out 2+2 then you're good!  I'd worry about the IQ test they give you or the cognitive abilities test as they call it.

4 hours ago, snoopys16 said:

how is the studying going for anyone that was at overview on the 10th? I've been using flash cards and writing out the definitions, it's working well for me 

I am still writing out my index cards. It’s hard since my current job I’ve been working 12 hour days. But I’m gonna try my hardest.

6 hours ago, Suffolkbull3 said:

Does anyone know how many people passed the sd test in june? also does anyone know if any of the people who passed in may have entered a class yet? thank u in advance.

I passed my test on July 16th, I believe 22 of us passed that day, still have yet to hear anything....

On 9/13/2018 at 7:06 AM, IronHorse said:

Lmao.  If you can figure out 2+2 then you're good!  I'd worry about the IQ test they give you or the cognitive abilities test as they call it.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:06 AM, IronHorse said:

So I shouldn’t worry about math 

well how’s this cognitive test is like? I have never done any of these tests so I’m not really sure 

8 hours ago, Yah said:

So I shouldn’t worry about math 

well how’s this cognitive test is like? I have never done any of these tests so I’m not really sure 

I took these tests back in January of 2016, so things may have changed, but for me, the cognitive was a weird test, unlike anything I had ever seen before. There were sections with sequences of numbers and letters, where you had to pick the next number or letter based on the rules they laid out. There were sections where you had to read a flow chart and answer questions based on the chart. Each section was timed...they are looking for you to get as many questions correct as possible. They do not expect you to finish each section in the time allotted, so don't go guessing random answers to finish the section just before time is up.

The vocabulary test that followed was very easy. It was 40 words, each with 4 possible synonyms, you just have to choose the correct answer. The math test was also very easy, just simple addition, multiplication and subtraction. The questions were like "A senior boards a train at Lynbrook and is traveling to Penn Station with two 11-year olds. A senior ticket costs $6 and tickets for children between the ages of 5-11 are $1 each. The senior gives you a $20 bill, what is her change?" They give you plenty of time to complete the test, and they give you scrap paper to work out your answers if need be.

I overheard in Hillside the other day that there will be no more classes in 2018. The 4th and 5th classes of the year are currently in Hillside. The 4th class is just about to graduate, and the 5th class just started a few weeks ago (they'll probably graduate around Thanksgiving).

Even though you guys had 22 or 24 people pass S&D, remember that not all of those people will wind up getting the job. Some of them may not pass the physical exam, and some of them may have already found other jobs while waiting. In January, if they find that they have more than 24 people ready to start, they'll probably just make 2 classes back to back. I know it's a long wait, which sucks, but don't get discouraged, it'll happen. Just keep studying your stuff so you don't forget it before class starts!

11 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

I overheard in Hillside the other day that there will be no more classes in 2018. The 4th and 5th classes of the year are currently in Hillside. The 4th class is just about to graduate, and the 5th class just started a few weeks ago (they'll probably graduate around Thanksgiving).

Even though you guys had 22 or 24 people pass S&D, remember that not all of those people will wind up getting the job. Some of them may not pass the physical exam, and some of them may have already found other jobs while waiting. In January, if they find that they have more than 24 people ready to start, they'll probably just make 2 classes back to back. I know it's a long wait, which sucks, but don't get discouraged, it'll happen. Just keep studying your stuff so you don't forget it before class starts!

Thanks, we put all this work in those 5 weeks it would suck to not get the opportunity