LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone who passed S&D on Feb 12th heard anything back? I want to start studying the new packet they gave out but I don't even know if I'm moving forward or if I got eliminated after the interview... I called last week and they told me not everyone who passed is guaranteed a spot, but no more info than that.  Got me worried. 

29 minutes ago, dn6791 said:

Has anyone who passed S&D on Feb 12th heard anything back? I want to start studying the new packet they gave out but I don't even know if I'm moving forward or if I got eliminated after the interview... I called last week and they told me not everyone who passed is guaranteed a spot, but no more info than that.  Got me worried. 

When did you pass your S&D? 

Passed mine and waited about 5 months before I started , and about 4 months before I was even contacted for the background.

My advice is once you get contacted for the background or any contact from the RR regarding a potential class date, start studying ASAP, that packet is very important 

My friend that passed on March 13 (last Wed.) asked about future class dates and was told that nothing is scheduled right now. Until they decide to schedule additional classes, you won't hear anything from them. I would suggest looking over your signals & definitions once or twice a week just to keep them fresh, but don't start the other packet until you know you're getting hired. Definitely have everything they've given you memorized 100% verbatim by the first day of class. 

8 hours ago, dn6791 said:

I passed on Feb 12th still haven’t received an email. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, Mikey23 said:

This is very discouraging, my class is made up of a bunch of donkeys. We already had one person fail the book of rules test and now we are right in the middle of air breaks. One girl in the class literally broke down and was crying her eyes out over air brakes. I have never seen so many grown men so scared as these guys in this class. We do go out and look at all the stuff on all the different types of trains and i am at the point where i am super bored in class. 

If you just passed your signals and definitions test this past week think long and hard about working here as an a/c. All you do is study within a half hour of waking up all the way up until you close your eyes for bed. 

If for some reason you decide you dont want to to study for just one night you fall very far behind. When they say you will have no life you really dont have any life at all for years.So consider this a warning ac class sucks think twice before you actually take the job.

It’s a small world and the rr is even smaller. You don’t know who knows who and who’s related to some shotcaller.

Wise up, stfu and don’t forget to throw the toggle when you get out new guy. 

Edited by Burner11801

Can anyone offer some advice on applying for the position being that most of you on this forum have had success. I see they just posted a new opening LIRR Assistant Cond. on the MTA career website. I have applied for this position before but have not had success. Did you include an cover letter with your resume or just the resume.  Does it help at all if you are a current MTA employee (currently I am with MTA NYCT and looking to get into the LIRR). I am trying to see if there is anything I can do to increase the chance of getting a call. Thanks any advice or help is appreciated. ! 

13 minutes ago, Ador said:

Can anyone offer some advice on applying for the position being that most of you on this forum have had success. I see they just posted a new opening LIRR Assistant Cond. on the MTA career website. I have applied for this position before but have not had success. Did you include an cover letter with your resume or just the resume.  Does it help at all if you are a current MTA employee (currently I am with MTA NYCT and looking to get into the LIRR). I am trying to see if there is anything I can do to increase the chance of getting a call. Thanks any advice or help is appreciated. ! 

I applied last year Feb. Got an email in August to attend an open house in Sept. I did the cognitive test and failed. They start weeding out people from the Open House.

Just upload your resume and answer the questions and submit your application.

3 minutes ago, Trainguy77 said:

Got the “AC PRE-EMPLOYMENT WHISTLES BUZZERS HANDSIGNS” packet from Michelle. I got invited to the S&D Overview, am I expected to have memorized the packet by the time we go to the overview?

Nope, don't even look at them

8 hours ago, Ador said:

If your resume hasn't gotten you pulled for the open house yet, you have to redo it.  They pull resumes off a keyword formula. Have customer service shit highlighted, money experience, etc.....or have someone else make your resume for you.

3 hours ago, Trainguy77 said:

Got the “AC PRE-EMPLOYMENT WHISTLES BUZZERS HANDSIGNS” packet from Michelle. I got invited to the S&D Overview, am I expected to have memorized the packet by the time we go to the overview?

S&D means signals and definition. no whistles, buzzers and hand signs. They will tell you what to study when you go to the overview. good luck

1 hour ago, Jayy said:

I got a call from the LIRR saying that the April class is canceled. And the next class would be in the fall. When in the fall does the class usually start ? 

Typically September. 

Just curious, when did you get the call? When did you take S&D? Had you originally been offered the April class?

18 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

Typically September. 

Just curious, when did you get the call? When did you take S&D? Had you originally been offered the April class?

I took the S&D on Feb 12th & got the call today. I wasn't offered the April class, this is the first time I've been contacted since the panel interview.

2 minutes ago, Jayy said:

Why would they cancel the class? 🤔

Just guessing, but they might feel they have enough manpower for the summer. They have done a lot of hiring recently, the roster is bigger than it's ever been.